TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

40 year old virgin

Holy positive reviews. 90% fresh and the reviews themselves are totally gushing over this movie. I am hoping to see this tonight. Anybody see it yet?

The best thing that I have gotten out of this movie so far is the "whats wrong with being a virgin" topic at the bottom of the IMDB page so far. Then when I see the movie, I think I will be even happier. This is just a movie that keeps on giving.

Guest wildpegasus

I think I might want to see this one. I've got a long ways to go before I'm 40 but still this'll be interesting from a virgin's perspective.

From LOP:

Kimberly Page appears in the "40 Year Old Virgin" movie which opens in theatres nationwide today.

During a scene where Steve Carell's character has been roped into going to a speed-dating event, Kimberly's character enthusiastically chatters away across the table while one of her breasts falls out of her dress and jiggles away in plain sight. Kimberly's other appearance in a big movie, the 2003 movie "Seabiscuit", ironically enough involves her large breasts as well. And tequila.

*Grabs my keys and speeds away to go see it*

Guest JMA

This movie was a flawless comedy. At one point, I laughed so hard that my chest started to hurt.

Holy positive reviews. 90% fresh and the reviews themselves are totally gushing over this movie. I am hoping to see this tonight. Anybody see it yet?

Will be seeing it in a couple of weeks; Carrell is a no-talent hack who was carried by the vastly more talented John Stewart and Stephen Colbert during his time on the Daily Show. And Paul Rudd has only done one film (The The Shape of Things) that is actually watchable, so the less said the better....

But the film's got Seth Rogen in it and thanks to "Undeclared", I'm pretty much a huge mark for him since he's the only Judd Apatow Pre-Ferrell/Vaughn/Stiller/Wilson Brothers Smug Fratboy Axis of Evil period regular who I find funny.

Dude, did Steve Carrell fuck your dog in the ass or something? Chillllll.

Catherine Keener makes this a must-see now. She's pretty much my fave actress.

So, how exactly did they take such a horribly lame-sounding, barely-worth-an-SNL skit concept and make it a decent movie?

I predict critical acclaim/box office failure. I heard literally nothing about this movie until 2 weeks ago.

Or perhaps I'm underrating the draw of a rated-R comedy. However, this doesn't have the buzz or star-power of Wedding Crashers.

Guest Fishyswa

^The buzz is actually pretty big. It was sold out here last night and almost everyone who tried to get tickets but couldn't went to see wedding crashers, which was PACKED.

And there's that billboard...

Oh god. Funniest thing I've ever seen.

Best parts: the waxing, the ending (I'm so glad this wasn't spoiled for me), and the Mortal Kombat/"You know how I know you're gay?" parts. Amazing.

Guest JMA
The 40 Year Old Virgin is the best reviewed film this year (so far). That's VERY impressive for Steve Carell's first leading role. Just...wow.

Guest JMA

As much as I loved Wedding Crashers, The 40 Year Old Virgin was even better. I'd recommend seeing both.

Guest JMA

Kudos to Judd Apatow for directing one of the funniest movies of the year. This has to be seen as a major accomplishment for him.

This movie has got a solid buzz, I saw a matinee yesterday and I always see matinees at that theater. Usually the crowd ranges from six people to maybe twenty people. But there were a good 50-60 people in the theater yesterday to see 40 Year Old Virgin.

Yeah it looks like it will be the #1 movie this week based on the Friday box office thus far. The budget was about 26 million so it won't have to do THAT much business to be solid.

Am I the only one who found him maybe a bit too lame at times though? I mean a 40 year old man apparently from S. CA who can't drive a car? Otherwise I enjoyed the movie.

I dunno maybe. I don't know if there is a maximum of how lame a 40 year old virgin can get. All I know is that character is now my second favorite bike riding character in a film behind Mark Wahlberg in I *Heart* Huckabees.

I saw the movie today at 4 pm in a packed theatre. It is by far the funniest film I've seen in ages, makes shit like "Anchorman" and other "COMEDIEZ!" piss on themselves, and easily is in the top 2 films I've seen, with Batman Begins.

40-Yr is a ton of lot more entertaining than Batman. The laughs hardly ever stopped.