TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

Sharon Osbourne sabotages Iron Maiden, cuts power

I posted a rant on my MySpace about why Bury Your Dead suck. Very little had to do with their disrespect towards Maiden, and most of it had to do with their shitty, shitty, SHITTY Hatebreed-lite "hardcore."

Now, excuse me...but isn't hardcore about musical brutality and isn't the scene all about honor? Then why do hardcore bands and their fans shit on people in the scene that aren't as "big" as them and then cry about honor and love for one another? Why do hardcore bands stick to the same Drop-C tuning for every song, with the few bands that do try something new now and then (Biohazard, Merauder, and a lot of the horrorcore bands out there like Send More Paramedics and the ever-so-lovely ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE) they get shit on for not "sticking to the core"? I know hardcore started as part of a rebellion against bands that took their music too seriously, but if you're calling yourself a musician and don't want to write good music that stretches you beyond your abilities, then you're a shitty fucking musician.

Guest Wart
I just downloaded the entire set/incident off Maiden's forum

Link please.

If you haven't already found it...

http://www.ironmaiden.org/showthread.php?t...95&page=9&pp=10

Scroll down towards the bottom.

EDIT: Did anybody else see the comments from the lead singer of Otep that basically implied that Maiden deserved it?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...ewsitemID=40783

OTEP frontwoman Otep Shamaya has posted the following message in her online diary:

"I was able to get away for a bit and visited a few friends & allies [co-conspirators] at Ozzfest in [san Bernardino] [saturday] ... I arrived just in time to watch the mighty SLIPKNOT destroy the main stage ... I stood with Kelly Osbourne and a few other friends while the members 9 annhiliated the storm of people swimming before them ... it was great to catch up and see many of our supporters there as well ... the SoCAL chapter of the Shadow Soldiers were out in full force & it was a proud moment for me to see such solidarity ... I also witnessed the carnage that took place while IRON MAIDEN played ... I don't think its ever a good idea, I don't care how many albums you've sold or how big you think your ego is, to berate, insult, or subtly attack the man who started the festival you are playing on ... BLACK SABBATH fans are savagely loyal and it showed tonite ... eggs, water bottles, assorted other items were thrown at the stage ... I am not sure why there was such animosity spewed from the IRON MAIDEN camp, but it wasn't well received ... Perhaps they should start a Maidenfest and then they can insult whoever they like without the hypocrisy of using Ozzfest for your benefit and attacking its creators at the same time ... Eh, whatevah."

Off Bury Your Dead's website

August 22: Despite rumors flying, Bury Your Dead was not involved with the unfortunate events that took place during Iron Maiden's set at Ozzfest this past Saturday at the Glen Helen Hyundai Pavillion. Guitarist Rich Casey said "we have the utmost respect for Iron Maiden and Ozzfest and Bury Your Dead did not partake in Saturday's ill-fated events".

So take that as you may.

And fuck Sharon Osbourne.

PS: Anyone else think that this could make the rest of the tour pretty interesting? I mean, the news has spread pretty fast and almost all of the stuff I've read is pretty slanted against the Ozzfest organizers and Sharon. Think there could be mass Maiden chants (sort of in the vain of the "we want Flair" stuff) during some sets, maybe Velvet Revolver will get a hard time.

Off Bury Your Dead's website

August 22: Despite rumors flying, Bury Your Dead was not involved with the unfortunate events that took place during Iron Maiden's set at Ozzfest this past Saturday at the Glen Helen Hyundai Pavillion. Guitarist Rich Casey said "we have the utmost respect for Iron Maiden and Ozzfest and Bury Your Dead did not partake in Saturday's ill-fated events".

So take that as you may.

Still doesn't prevent them from being another generic shitty Hatebreed-lite posercore band.

PS: Anyone else think that this could make the rest of the tour pretty interesting? I mean, the news has spread pretty fast and almost all of the stuff I've read is pretty slanted against the Ozzfest organizers and Sharon. Think there could be mass Maiden chants (sort of in the vain of the "we want Flair" stuff) during some sets, maybe Velvet Revolver will get a hard time.

Like you didn't expect people to boo Velvet Revolver anyway? This is a METAL and HARDCORE tour. If you put a SHITTY RADIO ROCK band on the bill, regardless of who is in it, do you not think the crowd would shit all over it? That would be the equivalent of having Nickelback headline the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival.

Guest Wart

"Although I'm a huge fan of the IronMaiden band and their music, I have a problem with Bruce Dickinson talking shit about America and more personally, about the Godfather of my first born son."

-Zakk Wylde

---------------------

OTEP frontwoman Otep Shamaya has posted the following message in her online diary:

"Attention douchebags from around the world ... This is MY diary ... I post MY personal opinions here ... if u do not like them, don't read them ... I do not care.

"And now that it has been proven that I was not involved in the mass-egging of IRON MAIDEN most of you are emailing me upset that I am siding with SABBATH ... are you that fucking stupid and hypocritical? ... Are you honestly trying to state that, as loyal MAIDEN fans, if another band was on tour with MAIDEN, on stage, insulting them, that you wouldn't get upset with this band trashing MAIDEN? ... in front of you? ... Bullshit ... You fucking posers are doing that now ... Same as SABBATH fans ... except your anger is misguided here ... I am not trashing MAIDEN ... I am not supporting SABBATH ... I only wrote that its never a good idea to insult someone so revered as OZZY on OZZFEST ... I thought it was only fans in the pit involved, I had no idea it was this complex.

"So in light of the emotional response my tiny little journal has received, it seems apparent that some lucidity is needed here ... So this is how it appeared to me ... as a spectator ... First, I should clarify i had never seen MAIDEN live but was told they were the highlight of the tour ... So I made my way to the side-stage area near the lawn so I could see the entire stage as I was told their live show was something not to be missed ... Security was tight and i missed the opening of the set ... by the time I made it to the only open area I could find, the singer was waving an enormous British flag over the pit area ... Some boos erupted from some of the more intoxicated, Bush supporters in the crowd ... but the band kept playing and until the singer addressed the crowd, 'THIS IS A BRITISH FLAG AND THESE COLORS DO NOT RUN.' I don't think anyone in the back areas or the lawn knew what was happening ... San Berdu Ozzfests are known for their massive lawn pits and bon fires ... Then I saw someone on the far left waving a large American flag and my initial thot was band hi-jinx ... that it was all a part of the show ... I was told, let us review, that MAIDEN's live show was not to be missed ... It wasn't until security and sheriff deputies started pouring in that I knew something was wrong ... I went backstage and the rumor mill was firing out all sorts of stories ... the most constant theme was 'MAIDEN was talking shit about Ozzy and it pissed off SABBATH fans' ... Ah, that seems likely as this is a very territorial genre ... Everyone went to watch SABBATH play and the backstage cleared out ... I was chatting with my friend when they started playing, I said my goodbyes to some of the guys in SLIPKNOT, and headed back to Los Angeles ... I got home, wrote about my day in my diary, did some reading, and went to sleep ... those are the facts ... and the rest is lies, bullshit, & childish finger pointing ..."

---------------------

EDIT: New statement from Bury Your Dead, which I don't believe has been posted yet.

"Despite the rumors of August 20th Ozzfest, BURY YOUR DEAD had nothing to with what transpired during IRON MAIDEN's set. Although being asked to be a part of what took place, we declined out of respect for IRON MAIDEN as we are all fans and watched the band almost every night. I'm sorry to see that people are so quick to believe what's written on the Internet, and we are confident we will be exonerated."

I've never even HEARD of OTEP but I've read that Sharon Osbourne discovered them, so that should tell you where their loyalties lie.

Everything he or she or whatever said was bullshit too. I've never heard a more incredible straw man argument than the British flag deal, and from someone who was AT an Ozzfest show, I can say that when Bruce waved the British flag it got one of the biggest positive reactions of the show (including from this (not so drunk) Bush supporter).

I also downloaded the show finally to my iPOD and this is amazing stuff. I have so much respect for the band I already love for playing through this shit for the fans. At key moments during Phantom, Run to the hills, and Hallowed the power just SHUTS OFF COMPLETELY. And the song dies, so they just don't miss a beat and start playing the next song. Extremely professional. The lowest of low was at the end not even second after the last note is played while Bruce is trying to thank the fans and the band take a bow, he is completely drowned out by that fucking moron shouting OZZY, OZZY over the loudspeaker. It was absolutely disgraceful. Bruce is able to sqeak out "I've had enough of this bullshit, to the fans thank you and and have a good night". I was really happy to hear Sharon being drowned out and chased off the stage by MAIDEN chants.

Guest Wart

I'm downloading some videos from the show right now that were posted on the Iron Maiden forum.

http://www.ironmaiden.org/showthread.php?t=62821

Theres an article on MTV about Bury Your Dead and the incident now as well.

------------------

He claims he was sitting backstage, in Ozzfest's catering area, enjoying some late-afternoon nosh, when all of a sudden, "people are being asked to be part of an egging of IRON MAIDEN, for whatever reason," Casey recalled. "At first I thought, 'Is this a last show, you know, let's have fun with MAIDEN sort of thing?' I didn't know there was actually beef between the MAIDEN camp and the Osbourne camp.

"At first I was sitting with a bunch of the other bands, and we all look at each other, like, 'Well this is coming from someone high up, who's asking people to do this.' But it didn't sound right," he continued. "This person just kind of walked away and then, basically, came back around and asked the question again, and that's when everyone I was sitting with declined the offer to be a part of it. Maybe it was the way I said it. I told this person to f--- off. Maybe it was the tone of my voice. I don't know if that set off this entire thing of our band's name being dragged into this [egging incident.] But I assure you we were not involved."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1508315/2...?headlines=true

I don't understand why they would pick Velvet Revolver AT ALL. To capture the disillusioned GNR fans? Well...no, because most of them hate Velvet Revolver too, since the boys seemed to lose their passion for gritty, fist-pumping rock n' roll. To make Sabbath seem better? Most likely, but paying a few thousand bucks to each member of a 5-piece band to go on tour with them is a little excessive just to make your own band seem better by comparison.

If I hear that the actual FANS start shit with Velvet Revolver for sucking, I'm gonna laugh.

Guest *KNK*
I don't understand why they would pick Velvet Revolver AT ALL. To capture the disillusioned GNR fans? Well...no, because most of them hate Velvet Revolver too, since the boys seemed to lose their passion for gritty, fist-pumping rock n' roll. To make Sabbath seem better? Most likely, but paying a few thousand bucks to each member of a 5-piece band to go on tour with them is a little excessive just to make your own band seem better by comparison.

If I hear that the actual FANS start shit with Velvet Revolver for sucking, I'm gonna laugh.

I'm guessing name value. Which doesn't make sense at all since Anthrax offered to play Ozzfest for Free, and Anthrax has just as much name value and a more loyal following.

I'm guessing name value. Which doesn't make sense at all since Anthrax offered to play Ozzfest for Free, and Anthrax has just as much name value and a more loyal following.

Wait, what? :huh: I know Anhthrax was in negotiations but the story I heard is that they didn't think they were offered enough to do it. Why the hell would they play for free?

Sharon's official response. EVEN if she is correct and Bruce's WORDS were unprofessional, her ACTIONS were way more unprofessional. If she had a problem with the things he was saying she should have confronted him about it in private. Endangering the band and the fans by throwing things and cutting the power during songs ripping off the paying customers are the ultimate in unprofesionalism. Even if Bruce was acting like a dick, this was not the way to handle it.

From Blabbermouth:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bl...ewsitemID=40883

SHARON OSBOURNE Issues 'Open Letter' To IRON MAIDEN's Manager - Aug. 25, 2005

Sharon Osbourne has issued the following "open letter" to IRON MAIDEN manager Rod Smallwood:

"Rod,

"I found your statement to be completely void of the facts that led up to Saturday's show. Your press release was written like an old-time '80s manager, trying to use every opportunity to try and sell the record and the upcoming shows instead of just dealing with the truth.

"These are the facts:

"You claim to have been in the business for 30 years and have been to hundreds of gigs, but can you tell me how many times you have heard of an opening band talking sh*t about the headliner during their set and getting away with it? Not only is Ozzy the headliner, but he is also the man who is paying your band $185,000 a night. We gave IRON MAIDEN a chance to play to the biggest audiences they have ever played to in the U.S.A. We accommodated them with their stage set and at the band's request we even scoured the audience for people wearing IRON MAIDEN t-shirts and brought them down front during their set to make them feel more comfortable. Tell me, what other headliner would do that? Unfortunately those gestures were completely lost on Bruce Dickinson who for over 20 shows continually berated Ozzy and Ozzfest during his set.

"Over the last 10 years of Ozzfest, we have worked with over 200 bands. None of them were ever disrespectful to Ozzy or any of the other bands on the tour. But for 20 shows we were forced to hear Dickinson's nightly outbursts from the stage: 'When we come back to America, we'll be back with a proper sound system,' or "We won't be playing the same old songs every night (like SABBATH),' 'We don't need a teleprompter (like Ozzy)' and 'We don't need a reality show to be legit (again, like Ozzy).' Night after night we heard his complaints from the stage about how 'corporate' the venues were and how 'outrageous' the ticket prices were. Strangely enough, if you want to get a general admission ticket to stand in a field to see IRON MAIDEN at Reading this weekend it's going to cost you over $120. I would say that's very pricey, wouldn't you?

"When an artist comes on stage and says he's not playing the 55 minutes that he was allotted and that he is going to play for as long as he wants (cutting into SABBATH's set), I'm not going to let that happen. Dickinson was under the delusion that the 46,000 people in San Bernardino had come only to see IRON MAIDEN. He even proclaimed 'This is not the Ozzfest, This is Maidenfest.' I guess no one told him that we have an audience of 45,000 to 53,000 people every year in San Bernardino.

"Here's another fact for you. Bruce Dickinson's own band was embarrassed by him. IRON MAIDEN leader, Steve Harris, even came to Ozzy's dressing room to apologize to Ozzy for Bruce's behavior before MAIDEN took the stage in San Bernardino.

"It's shameful that Dickinson felt he had the right to air his issues publicly onstage every night as a way to boost his own ego. Dickinson never once came up to Ozzy and me to voice any concerns. He certainly had the opportunity to do so every night. If he wasn't able to show us that courtesy then why should I give him the respect to air my grievances with him in private? Ozzy's only interaction with Dickinson was on the first night of the tour. Ozzy, being the true gentleman that he is, passed Bruce in the hall and said 'Good luck and have a great show.' Unfortunately Dickinson felt the need to turn his back to Ozzy and walked away. Frankly, Dickinson got what he deserved. We had to listen to his bullsh*t for five straight weeks. He only had to suffer a couple of eggs on the head.

"On closing, yes, I did cut IRON MAIDEN's sound. This is the way I look at it: Ozzfest is our tour. We built it into something that's lasted 10 years now. We've been responsible for breaking many new bands and resurrecting the careers of former superstars. Part of our success stems from the fact that when a band is on Ozzfest we treat them with nothing but kindness and respect just as if we had invited them into our home. You can ask all of the bands who have been on the tour. They all describe it as the 'ultimate summer camp.' It's like one big family. Unfortunately Dickinson doesn't have the manners to realize that when you are invited into someone's home, are seated at their dinner table, are eating their food and drinking their wine, you shouldn't talk disrespectfully about them (Ozzy, BLACK SABBATH and Ozzfest), otherwise you just might get your ass handed to you. Every action has a reaction. Was Dickinson so naïve to think that I was going to let him get away with talking sh*t about my family night after night? I don't think he realizes who he's dealing with. I will not endure behavior like this from anyone.

"I know you would love to keep talking about this because this is the most press that IRON MAIDEN has had in the U.S. in twenty years, but let's move on, shall we?

"Sincerely,

"The 'Real' Iron Maiden

"Sharon Osbourne"

Guest Wart

RockConfidential.com: Is the whole thing with IRON MAIDEN overblown or is it for real? How did all the drama start?

Zakk Wylde: "This is fact and this is reality. It's not the guys in MAIDEN and their crew. They're a beautiful bunch of guys. Bruce Dickinson every night would be saying 'Ozzy sucks,' 'Ozzfest blows,' 'Corporate America sucks,' 'America sucks,' and all this other crap. He was bagging on America and bagging on Ozz. Ozzy's the godfather of my son. It wasn't like Bruce said those things one night. This happened every night on the 'fest. If you got signed by George Steinbrenner to play for the Yankees and every day you say, 'Steinbrenner sucks,' 'Yankee Stadium blows,' 'I can't stand playing for this team — it sucks ass,' then why are you playing for the Yankees? Shut your fuckin' pie hole. All he had to do was go up there, play for an hour, whoop some ass and go home. The only thing Ozzy's ever done was given MAIDEN a stage to come over and play to the biggest audience in the summer. Ozzy would give you the shirt off his back. He'd never do a bad thing to anybody. Sharon didn't like him talking about her husband like that and talking about Ozzfest like that. It's just not kosher. The bottom line is Bruce was being a wad! You act like a cunt, you get treated like a cunt! That's what happened. He's definitely not one of the guys. Everybody in their band and crew are cool. I love MAIDEN but he's talking about the godfather of my son, he's bagging America and all the troops are fighting overseas defending our way of life and freedom and fighting terrorism. This dickwad's taking American money and then he's gonna go home. At the same time he thinks he can badmouth America. It's not cool. He got pelted with a batch of eggs and they turned the power off on him! Go home!"

-----------------

"He's taking American money and then he's gonna go home."

It may just be me, but when I see that, it seems to be implying that Bruce is almost stealing from the fans; yet he is defending somebody who admitted to turning off the power in the middle of songs that fans paid money to see.

I'm losing more respect for Osbourne & co. and gaining more respect for Maiden every day.

Wait, what? :huh: I know Anhthrax was in negotiations but the story I heard is that they didn't think they were offered enough to do it. Why the hell would they play for free?

For some reason Sharon has something against Anthrax too. Why, I don't know. Scott Ian is one of the coolest dudes in metal.

Two things:

From Sharon's quote:

You claim to have been in the business for 30 years and have been to hundreds of gigs, but can you tell me how many times you have heard of an opening band talking sh*t about the headliner during their set and getting away with it?
Yes, Sabbath was the headliner, but to call Maiden the "opening act" is a pretty loose interpretation of those words, IMHO.

From Zakk's quote:

If you got signed by George Steinbrenner to play for the Yankees and every day you say, 'Steinbrenner sucks,' 'Yankee Stadium blows,' 'I can't stand playing for this team — it sucks ass,' then why are you playing for the Yankees? Shut your fuckin' pie hole.
If someone did that on the Yankees, would Steinbrenner get some of the other employees to throw eggs at him and whatnot? Why didn't they kick Maiden off the tour if they were being so disrespectful?

From Zakk's quote:

If you got signed by George Steinbrenner to play for the Yankees and every day you say, 'Steinbrenner sucks,' 'Yankee Stadium blows,' 'I can't stand playing for this team — it sucks ass,' then why are you playing for the Yankees? Shut your fuckin' pie hole.
If someone did that on the Yankees, would Steinbrenner get some of the other employees to throw eggs at him and whatnot? Why didn't they kick Maiden off the tour if they were being so disrespectful?

Because they knew they wouldn't sell jack squat without them, seriously..who wants to see MUDVAYNE??

But ... but ... but ... Paul, in Sharon's warped mind, Sabbath is the only reason that anyone's going to Ozzfest. Reading her half of the story, Sabbath is still the be all / end all ... I'd have loved it if IM got 86ed and then a ton of ticket-holders started asking for a refund.

I ain't saying i don't love Sabbath but i'd rather see them with Dio, you know..someone with some actual energy and life.

They knew tons of refunds would happen if Maiden got 86'ed, which is why they didn't do it.

Sure Dickinson made some comments about corp. America, etc. So what? It's all fucking true. NOBODY likes Ticketmaster and their damn fees

Sabbath bored me when I saw them. Emotionless playing of a show that I could predict song-by-song after reading the previous night's setlist.

Maiden did not. Tons of energy, and at least a couple of different songs.

Sabbath is one of the main reasons that I skipped Ozzfest this year. Replace them with another 'big name band' and I'd have gone in a heartbeat.