TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Hurricane Katrina

Guest El Satanico

Crazy shit will happen when you have a massive group of desperate angry scared people.

This is why I laugh when someone claims the US would have no problem with a zombie epidemic.

If Florida is the country's penis, New Orleans is clearly the country's anus.

How you can do that to your state after such a disaster is beyond me. It's just disgusting.

Wow, we actually agree on something. :P

4:15 P.M. - (AP): Police say storm victims are being raped and beaten inside the New Orleans Convention Center.

About 15,200 people who had taken shelter at the convention center to await buses grew increasingly hostile.

Police Chief Eddie Compass says he sent in 88 officers to quell the situation at the building, but they were quickly beaten back by an angry mob.

Compass says, "We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are getting beaten."

He says tourists are walking in that direction and they are getting preyed upon.

In hopes of defusing the unrest at the convention center, Mayor Ray Nagin gave the refugees permission to march across a bridge to the city's unflooded west bank for whatever relief they can find. But the bedlam appeared to make leaving difficult.

Man, it wouldn't do for me to be in charge down there. Because I'd just send out the military with instructions to shoot any motherfucking looter they find.

So, what nations have sent relief during this tragedy?

Aid offers pour in from around the globe

Rice: U.S. will accept assistance that ‘can help alleviate the suffering’

WASHINGTON - In a dramatic turnabout, the United States is now on the receiving end of help from around the world as some two dozen countries offer post-hurricane assistance.

Venezuela, a target of frequent criticism by the Bush administration, offered humanitarian aid and fuel. Venezuela’s Citgo Petroleum Corp. pledged a $1 million donation for hurricane aid.

With offers from the four corners of the globe pouring in, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has decided “no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused,” State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday.

However, in Moscow, a Russian official said the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency had rejected a Russian offer to dispatch rescue teams and other aid.

Condolences and cash

On Tuesday, President Vladimir Putin sent condolences to President Bush and said Russia was prepared to help if asked.

Boats, aircraft, tents, blankets, generators, cash assistance and medical teams have been offered to the U.S. government in Washington or in embassies overseas.

Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.

Israeli Ambassador Daniel Ayalon called Wednesday at the State Department to offer condolences and assistance. Israel is the largest recipient of U.S. aid, about $2.2 billion a year.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has offered the U.S. hundreds of doctors, nurses, experts in trauma and natural disasters, NBC News has learned. Sharon has also offered field hospitals and medical kits as well as temporary housing and told Bush in a letter that the medical assistance and other help could be deployed within 24 hours.

Tempered expectations

Still, Bush told ABC-TV: “I’m not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn’t asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country’s going to rise up and take care of it.”

“You know,” he said, “we would love help, but we’re going to take care of our own business as well, and there’s no doubt in my mind we’ll succeed. And there’s no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city.”

Historically, the United States provides assistance to other countries experiencing earthquakes, floods and other disasters.

Germany, which was rebuilt after World War II largely by the U.S. Marshall Plan, offered its help in a telephone call to Rice.

“The German Government is prepared to do all that is humanly possible,” the German embassy said. In his call, German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer assured Rice of Germany’s solidarity with its American friends in a difficult time, the embassy said.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9161198

Guest Vitamin X
However, in Moscow, a Russian official said the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency had rejected a Russian offer to dispatch rescue teams and other aid.

Still, Bush told ABC-TV: “I’m not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn’t asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country’s going to rise up and take care of it.”

“You know,” he said, “we would love help, but we’re going to take care of our own business as well, and there’s no doubt in my mind we’ll succeed. And there’s no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city.”

Historically, the United States provides assistance to other countries experiencing earthquakes, floods and other disasters.

This really is no time for foolish pride. We sit here and we bitch and moan about how we help everyone else out, but when something happens to us, we reject everyone's help... Now everyone's offering to help and we're telling them, "NO it's okay, we can handle it!"?

Bush's statement was a bit of a mixed message there, but then again that never surprises me..

Man, it wouldn't do for me to be in charge down there.  Because I'd just send out the military with instructions to shoot any motherfucking looter they find.

You seriously need to calm down.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Shepard Smith's drama reporting on Fox News is funny.

CNN had a reporter in a wet T-shirt and messed up hair - I loved it.

From what they made it sound like...small consolation really for New Orleans I know...15 miles or so separated New Orleans from a dead-on hit.

What ticks me off is that they talked for years about something like this happening and they were still caught with their pants down.

Man, it wouldn't do for me to be in charge down there.  Because I'd just send out the military with instructions to shoot any motherfucking looter they find.

Dude, we have people looting children's hospitals. With guns. While the children are STILL INSIDE.

Sorry. If you are such a person, and you're caught in the act - as far as I'm concerned, you pretty much forfeit life.

Maybe that's what it's going to take - a few of these animals dead before they get it through their heads that maybe they should just cut the bullshit.

Dude, we have people looting children's hospitals. With guns. While the children are STILL INSIDE.

Sorry. If you are such a person, and you're caught in the act - as far as I'm concerned, you pretty much forfeit life.

Maybe that's what it's going to take - a few of these animals dead before they get it through their heads that maybe they should just cut the bullshit.

But what if theyre Peter Jennings' kids?

How long until we hear about a massive fire taking place in New Orleans from all the chemicals in the water catching fire from someone discarding a cig?

Also I say within the next two days we get reports of alligators and poisonous snakes going through the town and people getting killed by them.

This ought to put the final nail in the coffin for the "people are basically good" theory.

Indeed. At this point, I think the whole "God loves us" thing is pretty questionable as well.

8:40PM - Gov. Blanco demands immediate apology from Dennis Hastert for his comments about rebuilding N.O.

8:40PM - Gov. Blanco - 300 soldiers from Arkansas National Guard arrived in N.O. just back from Iraq. Armed with M-16s and sent to restore order. "These troops know how to shoot and kill...and I expect they will."

How long until we hear about a massive fire taking place in New Orleans from all the chemicals in the water catching fire from someone discarding a cig? 

Also I say within the next two days we get reports of alligators and poisonous snakes going through the town and people getting killed by them.

Alligators can't survive in that toxic waste, though

So, what nations have sent relief during this tragedy?

I know that there is going to be a benefit jazz concert up here in Toronto, dubbed "Toronto Loves New Orleans" or something to that effect. I saw a piece about it on the news the other night but haven't been able to find any info on the web.

I can't believe how fucking insane this is.

Police officers having to 'defend' their station? Snipers and people looting hospitals? What the FUCK is going on? Seriously. Killings? Rapes? I really have no fucking faith in humanity after something like this.

No, no, that's okay. Don't help your fellow human beings. Steal from them. Kill them. Rape them. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Fucking unbelievealbe.