TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Hurricane Katrina

I thought New Orleans had gotten spared a bit when it went a bit more right than it was originally thought to go... I was wrong by a long shot. This is really bad. How long will it take for all that water to go away?

I don't know, it's not even finished flowing in yet. Before the levee breach, there was talk about schools reopening sometime in December and letting us back home possibly in a month. But now it could be another month.

I also saw aerial footage of my college (UNO) underwater yesterday. So much for this semester.

I thought New Orleans had gotten spared a bit when it went a bit more right than it was originally thought to go... I was wrong by a long shot.  This is really bad.  How long will it take for all that water to go away?

The mayor, I believe, came out today and said that everyone who's been (or is being) evacuated shouldn't expect to be able to come back for at least 12 to 16 WEEKS.

New Orleans is pretty much a wash at this point, no pun intended. It'll be months before it even resembles a city again and years before it's anything like it once was.

image08301646cvbs17am.jpg

I'm sorry, this is probably very much in poor taste, but I'd mark hard if that sign had read, "ALIVE INSIDE".

Honestly, I believe that the federa government is formally going to have to step in and declare that New Orleans is offically a "No Man's Land"

If you stay there then you are on your own. I see New Orleans as having to be abandoned for at least a couple of years and eventually rebuilding can occur in about 2007.

Not very optimistic I know but I don't see much hope for the place.

Has there ever been a time in the past...oh, 20 years or so that ANYWHERE in the US was deemed no man's land or something along those lines? Cause that sounds pretty extreme.

Mayor Nagin: "We know there is a significant number of dead bodies in the water," and others dead in attics, Mayor Ray Nagin said. Asked how many, he said: "Minimum, hundreds. Most likely, thousands."

WWL: Roving bands of looters are breaking into stores in Carrollton area to get food and supplies. They've also stolen guns and armed themselves.

The 23,000 people in the Superdome are being evacuated to the Houston Astrodome.

I know conservatives will get up in arms about how much assistance we sent to the rest of the world and now they should trip over each other to run to our aid. Realistically though, our capacity to handle disasters is much greater than in the third world. It is not quite the same.

Honestly, I believe that the federa government is formally going to have to step in and declare that New Orleans is offically a "No Man's Land" 

If you stay there then you are on your own.  I see New Orleans as having to be abandoned for at least a couple of years and eventually rebuilding can occur in about 2007.

With all those dead bodies contaminating the water and the water probably not going away for a while, I'd say 2007 is pretty optimistic

I was watching The Weather Channel just two hours ago, but I had to turn it off because seeing all of that was depressing as hell.

If you stay there then you are on your own.  I see New Orleans as having to be abandoned for at least a couple of years and eventually rebuilding can occur in about 2007.

With all those dead bodies contaminating the water and the water probably not going away for a while, I'd say 2007 is pretty optimistic

I was watching The Weather Channel just two hours ago, but I had to turn it off because seeing all of that was depressing as hell.

Horifying as it might sound, New Orleans may be the modern-day Hiroshima. It's a painful reminder that as much as humans like to think they are in control of nature and their environment, the planet can dish out just as much damage as any weapons man has constructed and there's little that can be done to stop it.

It's also worth noting that sitting out here on the west coast like I am could lead one to feel detached from this disaster since it's something that would "never happen" out here. But then one needs only think about ticking time bombs like the San Andreas fault, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, and so on, to realize that no one is safe from this sort of destruction.

I think what's even more unnerving for someone like me who lives in southeastern Alabama and just barely missed Katrina is that if it had curved sooner, what happened to NO would have happened here, though probably not as bad considering we're not below sea level like New Orleans is.

As for the modern day Hiroshima comment, that make the SE Asian countries hit by that tsunami Nagasaki, correct?

I think what's even more unnerving for someone like me who lives in southeastern Alabama and just barely missed Katrina is that if it had curved sooner, what happened to NO would have happened here, though probably not as bad considering we're not below sea level like New Orleans is.

As for the modern day Hiroshima comment, that make the SE Asian countries hit by that tsunami Nagasaki, correct?

This is similar to Hiroshima in that the visual and material impact of the devastation is greater than the actual loss of life. The tsunami floods were devastating and more deadly but they didn't leave something as visually shocking as Hiroshima/Nagasaki lying in ruins or New Orleans being submerged under water.

5:23 P.M. - (AP) If Mayor Nagin's estimate that thousands perished under Hurricane Katrina is true, this would be the nation's deadliest natural disaster since at least the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

Guest Ronixis

Doesnt any body remebers Gavliston? (sp)

That City was wiped out by Andrew. Its just now a port city.

5:23 P.M. - (AP) If Mayor Nagin's estimate that thousands perished under Hurricane Katrina is true, this would be the nation's deadliest natural disaster since at least the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

I don't know where that comes from. Using the 1995 World Almanac as a source, that earthquake killed around 700. A 1928 Hurricane in South Florida is estimated to have killed 1,800, Unfortunately, this could top both of them, and if it did, it could easily be the worst natural disaster in American history.

Looking over all that, we've never had 5,000+ deaths from a natural disaster in this country?

Looters went to extraordinary means to get into the Rite Aid drug store on Carrollton Avenue and Oak Street in Uptown New Orleans, where metal storm doors were rolled shut on the doors and windows.

Looters commandered a fork lift, which they used to ram into the metal and peel open the protective covering to get inside the store. That allowed a steady stream of looters, many wheeling shopping carts, to stock up, primarily with food, candy, any soft drink or water or alcohol, and cigarettes.

After much of the store had been emptied, a pair of looters carrying handfuls of candy and chips stopped briefly to talk to a newspaper reporter.

"They still have some canned foods in there if you want some."

heh..

Doesnt any body remebers Gavliston? (sp)

That City was wiped out by Andrew. Its just now a port city.

Ah yes, Galveston Texas. But that was back in 1900. It did kill 6,000, which probably puts it up top.

Of course, that was before modern technology, so nobody knew what was coming at them.

So, what nations have sent relief during this tragedy?

Apparently Hugo Chavez has offered to send oil and medicine, no idea if that will get accepted or not.

That's fucking shameful.

I haven't even heard so much as a "gee, sorry that happened to you guys" from Europe, but the fucking communist prick down in South America is willing to send oil & meds only a week after a religious wackjob called for his assassination. Our "allies" should be embarassed.