TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Hurricane Katrina

Well, this is two major world disasters in 9 months. Let's hope it doesn't come in threes, unles there was another major earthquake or fire just before the Tsunami....

Well, this is two major world disasters in 9 months.  Let's hope it doesn't come in threes, unles there was another major earthquake or fire just before the Tsunami....

A class 5 typhoon is forming off the coast of Okinawa Island. 60,000 people were already evacuated from Southern China, says CTV Newsnet.

Sorry to be a downer.

I can't even watch the coverage of this on the news. The theme of all these shows is "we can stick a camera in your face, but we can't bring you a fuckin sandwich." "we can film you while you go into insulin shock, but we can't bring you any insulin to save your life."

makes me fuckin sick.

I can't even watch the coverage of this on the news. The theme of all these shows is "we can stick a camera in your face, but we can't bring you a fuckin sandwich." "we can film you while you go into insulin shock, but we can't bring you any insulin to save your life."

makes me fuckin sick.

And that I WHOLLY agree with

Do you think terriorists will realize that America can barely handle a crisis at home that they are unlikely to ever gain full control of Iraq. How embarrasing is this for the USA? 4 days after the storm and they still can't even drop food and water supplies from the air.

Seriously. They can get food and aide to Africa in no time, why is this taking so long? Where the fuck is BONO now? :firing:

Guest Cerebus

"Drop supplies from the air?"

Seriously. What the hell are you talking about? Boxes of supplies being dropped out of a C-130 will be like mana from heaven and end all the problems?

Yeah. Sure.

Who's saying they'll end all the problems. Use a little common sense. If you don't think that supplies would help these "refugees" then you're an idiot.

I wonder if clearing out the prison into the Astrodome had anything to do with the crime going on there....

I...wonder....

Guest Smues

yeah because supplies dropped from the air are sure to go to those who really need them and not the loons with guns.

Anyone else feeling the effects of the hurricane, even if they're not connected to it? I'm not talking about the financial end, but more the emotional toll it has taken.

For me, I've only been sleeping in spurts since Sunday night - basically, 16-20 hours over these five days. It's just a feeling of complete despair for the residents who are still trapped, as well as the complete breakdown of social order with how things have progressed. My stomach has been in knots whenever I click on any related thread or website, which may be a positive because I would be in much worse of a condition if I had been subjected to the television coverage of the events.

The worst part, for me, is the utter lack of a "silver lining" in such a tragedy. Every event in natural history has had some type of positive note that salvaged a loss, whether it was bringing people together to fight a common cause or threat, or a simple lesson that allows people to avoid such events in the future.

This....this IS the exception.

EDIT: On a more angrier note, I feel sorry for those who believe this is the Apocalypse, as if God is teaching us a lesson. Get your head out of your ass. Guess what? I don't think complete and utter devastation leads to *good* things. When I'm trying to continue a simple conversation and how things have de-evolved down there, people are interjecting with these comments as if to say "I told you so". I've been a devout Catholic for twenty years...and this train of thought just sickens me.

Is anyone even reading the post? Or using common sense before they hit the reply button? Did anyone say drop it in the middle of the city and let people go nuts? NO. Airlift it to the military/police/whatever to hand out to the NOW HOMELESS & STRANDED REFUGEES - not the criminals.

Christ, it's like talking to a fucking wall.

Guest Cerebus

Airlift it on to what? A river? Have you SEEN the sattelite photos? There is nowhere to land. Plus, supplies don't come ou to the plane and then instantly make into the recipient's hands. The infrastructure there is completely demolished. There is chaos everywhere. Even knowing what little I do about military logistics I shudder to think of the logistics needed to distribute the neccessary supplies to that place.

This won't be fixed in 4 days folks. Probably not 4 weeks. You could have a repeat of the Great Berline Airlift if you want, but with few safe roads and people spread out over an enormous area with armed gangs and about a dozen different government and assistance agencies to coordinate between it won't matter a whole hell of a lot.

Who's saying they'll end all the problems. Use a little common sense. If you don't think that supplies would help these "refugees" then you're an idiot.

Do you know what "logistics" is called?

1) Flight plans so you dont run into other planes

2) locations where land is suitable to drop off.

3) Then the innaccuracy of dumping crates, dont want to hit buildings or civilians

I love armchair quarterbacking. Dont you think that if it was feasible theyd be doing it.

FEMA and the government have been pretty retarded about this. First for not being ready for it when the hurricane hadn't reached anything on land for days, second for being ill-prepared once it passed.

Currently, FEMA is making people call an 800 number and request supplies to get anything. Now, there's no phones, gentlemen. That's goddamn retarded.

God has his way of fucking with every part of the country.

In California, its earthquakes.

In the northwest, its constant rain.

In the north, its blankets of snow.

In the midwest, its tornados.

Well the constant rain isn't exactly going to fuck with you like the other three things you listed...

Oh, and this just in, the Astrodome has closed its doors and aren't accepting any more buses.

CNN says they've reached the legal limit the building can hold as per the fire code. Wow. I hate to sound like a nerd, but imagine a crowd of poverty-stricken people the size of WM17 but possibly larger.

How did this happen? I thought there were only 10,000-12,000 in the dome and they were the largest shelter around? Did they just start taking everyone who said "Oh yeah, I'm from New Orleans, can I have a room?"

To answer your last question, yes that is what people were doing. Officals at the Dome were told only people from the Superdome are to be allowed in from the buses. This angered people that came from NO instead of waiting with all the idiots that wanted to "ride it out" Problem is now alot of our shelters are at maximum capacity and shelters left and right are turning people away. Our judge is saying that they probably can only stay a month at the Astrodome due to the fact that Dome isn't equiped to handle something like this. The children can go to the Houston schools for one month, but that's it because the schools need record of all their immunizations to allow them to attend for a long period of time.

We are being asked to donate whatever we can to them. I'm also helping a coworker raise money and bbq for all these people. They have raised over $2,500 right now and plan to cook all weekend.

Okay, look goddamnit. There are a few people that are doing horrible things down there, and I am willing to bet that most of them are prisoners that have escaped and such, but to keep calling the people left there stupid animials is just fucking disgusting. Most of the people....Most to the point that the bad are a almost irrelevant miniscule percentage, are not raping people, they aren't killing people, and they aren't looting hospitals. They are people stuck in a bad prediciment.

And I was watching this interview last night about how this lady was saying that people that are asking why didn't they just evacuate were forgetting that evacuation cost money. To the dumb fucks that are saying "Just pawn all your stuff and get money" I have to wonder where your mind is. The Pawn shop owners were busy LEAVING and using their money to finance their trip, not staying there and giving it out for stuff that they knew full well would be destroyed and they wouldn't have the opportunity to sell. And like the lady said last night, She didn't have a car and couldn't afford a bus ticket. Picking up and moving isn't that easy for people without money. This is just a case of the poor getting kicked while they were down.

The mayor said except for a few "knuckleheads," the looting is the result of desperate people just trying to find food and water to survive.

Nagin blamed the outbreak of crime and violence on drug addicts who are cut off from their drug supplies and wandering the city "looking to take the edge off their jones."

Thats believeable. Crack heads are roaming the streets like zombies.

Guest El Satanico

No one has used his exact words, but ripper is correct about the overall attitude shown in this thread.

Of course, judging a majority based on the actions of the minority, is fairly common.

You guys should listen to the interview the mayor conducted on a radio station. Even if you agree or disagree with the guy, this one is powerful.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.nagin/index.html

I take back what I said about the mayor being inept. It sounds like he's as pissed as we all were and there was just nothing he could do about it. If it wasn't for this interview, maybe the food still wouldn't have got to the Convention Center.

"I don't want anybody to do any more goddamn press conferences. Don't do another press conference until the resources are in this city. And then come down to the city. Don't tell me 40,000 people are coming here! They're not here! Now get off your asses and do something!"

No one has used his exact words, but ripper is correct about the overall attitude shown in this thread.

Of course, judging a majority based on the actions of the minority, is fairly common.

Exactly. People are down there starving to death, they are risking their lives to save others, they are doing what they have to do to get food, clothing and water for their families, but people seem only to be focusing on some crackhead breaking into a hospital to get a hit. Fuck HIM. There are thousands of people dying.

And personally, if you don't have food, water, or clean clothes and it is a state of emergency, its not looting. When you show me people with TV's over their head wading through the water, then I will call them looters. People rushing into grocery stores to get food are survivors because noone else is giving them anything.

Guest El Satanico

That mayor said what I'm sure everyone is thinking. I was surprised to hear Bush actually some what call people out over how NO has been handled.

Congress was rushing through a $10.5 billion aid package, the

Pentagon promised to send in 1,400 National Guardsmen a day to stop

the looting and President Bush planned to visit the region Friday. But

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin was seething with anger over what he

called a slow federal response to a disaster that may have killed

thousands.

"They don't have a clue what's going on down there," Mayor Ray Nagin

told WWL-AM Thursday night. "They flew down here one time two days

after the doggone event was over with TV cameras, AP reporters, all

kind of goddamn - excuse my French everybody in America, but I am

pissed." "I don't know who's responsible if it's the Governor or the

President but there are human beings here not just crackheads, I'M ONE