TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Hurricane Katrina

Guest *KNK*
I can't believe how fucking insane this is.

Police officers having to 'defend' their station? Snipers and people looting hospitals? What the FUCK is going on? Seriously. Killings? Rapes? I really have no fucking faith in humanity after something like this.

No, no, that's okay. Don't help your fellow human beings. Steal from them. Kill them. Rape them. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Fucking unbelievealbe.

Just exposing the world to what humans, at their core really are.

Scum.

I can't believe how fucking insane this is.

Police officers having to 'defend' their station? Snipers and people looting hospitals? What the FUCK is going on? Seriously. Killings? Rapes? I really have no fucking faith in humanity after something like this.

No, no, that's okay. Don't help your fellow human beings. Steal from them. Kill them. Rape them. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Fucking unbelievealbe.

Well, if you think about it, it was bound to happen.

The only people who didn't flee the city besides the elderly was the poor and undereducated population of New Orleans.

Now take those same people, put them in a sweltering hot dome without food, water, medicine, or adequate plumbing.

That just pissed them off, which led to the looting and violence. When Wal-Mart opened their doors and said "take what you need" - they went on a shopping spree.

They just didn't know any better.

edit: Not that I condone anything that's going on - the whole situation is retarded. But at this point they're all starving and it's a fight for survival.

I'm sorry but I just cannot accept "they just didn't know any better" as a valid excuse for anyone committing murder and rape and looting a hospital with patients and children still inside.

KNK had it right. They're fucking scum.

Somewhere, a software developer for Rockstar Games is taking notes for their next GTA instalment.  I just know it.

Grand Theft Auto: New Orleans

Considering that last year I thought that GTA: San Andreas should have been replaced by GTA: The Big Sleazy after a particularly long and ugly trek through the city, I think this is a natural fit.

The only people who didn't flee the city besides the elderly was the poor and undereducated population of New Orleans.

Well, that's news.

I'm sure there's tons of exceptions (no transportation, sick, etc.), but for the most part when news comes in advance that you should get the hell out of town, you will heed to that advice.

Well, that's news.

I'm sure there's tons of exceptions (no transportation, sick, etc.), but for the most part when news comes in advance that you should get the hell out of town, you will heed to that advice.

Stupid people exist in all social classes, though.

Well, that's news.

Stupid people exist in all social classes, though.

Indeed.

I'm just saying that unless you're aware of some survey of survivors that includes age, class, and education level, you really have room to claim that they were mostly poor and uneducated as absolute fact.

Guest *KNK*
I'm just saying that unless you're aware of some survey of survivors that includes age, class, and education level, you really have room to claim that they were mostly poor and uneducated as absolute fact.

Just watch the footage and you can make that proper assessment that, YES these people were poor and clearly uneducated.

Guest *KNK*
If you're shooting cops and looting a dangerous flooded city, you're poor and uneducated, no matter how much money you have and where you went to college.

Just being in NO knowing that this motherfucker was coming shows you are uneducated.

Pawn some shit and get a fucking bus ticket to anywhere.

It's not like Katrina showed up on NO's doorsteps un-announced. The city and region were notified "Hey folks, really bad hurricane is coming. it will flood the town and likely destroy this city and kill you"

The smart people examined the context of the warnings and used some sort of skill to determine "I better leave if I value my and my familie's life over replacable items like my home".

Naturally the elderly had no choice, which is sad but a fact of life that the elderly are often the ones we can't save.

However...I don't see alot of grandma's wheeling around in wheelchair's strapped with AK-47's.

Clearly idiots are running amok in New Orleans. I get survival, the human and animalistic instinct to "take what you can".

Shooting at armed military forces and medical help for NO reason? That's not "survival". That's complete and total stupidity.

Stop trying to defend these people. There's alot of people who deserve the help but there's a select bunch down in NO that deserve to be left to rot.

Heh, it's funny. Like, so far, not trying to single them out, but from all the coverage in New Orleans, over 100% of the people I have seen are African American, and I FINALLY saw a white person in the midst of it all, being interview by MSNBC. She was holding a child, who looked on the brink of death. I am surprised I haven't heard anything racist about it, something along the lines of "they are black, they are known to do this".

Aside from that, I STILL can't believe all that insanity and blatant disregard for ANYONE AND ANYTHING is happening in a U.S city. The destruction makes it worse, and the stories of people dying in their chairs, babies dying from the heat, makes this situation HORRIBLE.

Everyone put it on MSNBC sometime. They were talking to the people in the convention center. Just horrible. They'll probably replay it. Dad saying that he didn't have anything to feed his baby for 2-3 days, so he had to break into a store to get milk. Some of the people were passing out from dehydration or looked like they were on the verge of passing out. Chants for help. People crying and screaming that they're sorry for not leaving, wishing they would have left. Others saying that they went where the police told them to go and have been waiting for buses for 2 days. The death toll is going to be a lot higher if they don't find a way to get food and water to all of those people. I read somewhere that over 100 died from dehydration so far. Just think what it'll be if they're still there for a few more days.

Oh, and this just in, the Astrodome has closed its doors and aren't accepting any more buses.

Guest *KNK*
Everyone put it on MSNBC sometime.  They were talking to the people in the convention center.  Just horrible.  They'll probably replay it.  Dad saying that he didn't have anything to feed his baby for 2-3 days, so he had to break into a store to get milk. Some of the people were passing out from dehydration or looked like they were on the verge of passing out. Chants for help.  People crying and screaming that they're sorry for not leaving, wishing they would have left.  Others saying that they went where the police told them to go and have been waiting for buses for 2 days.  The death toll is going to be a lot higher if they don't find a way to get food and water to all of those people.  I read somewhere that over 100 died from dehydration so far.  Just think what it'll be if they're still there for a few more days.

Oh, and this just in, the Astrodome has closed its doors and aren't accepting any more buses.

It's bullshit. There's huge domes and stadiums not being used all over the place. We need to send people to auto race tracks, old arenas...

places where they have medical staffs and large grounds to hold people.

It seems like the Gov't is basically saying "Oh? Astrodome closed the doors? Okay, leave them in New Orleans".

I understand the ones who didn't even have stuff to pawn to get out of the city not leaving...but the ones who decided to stay because they had the hotel for an extra night anyway.

I mean seriously, lose a couple hundred bucks and get the hell out of an area you knew was destine to become HELL after the hurricane was done.

"Hmm deadly hurricane coming, but I did reserve the room till Tuesday. Be a shame to waste those days."

Congrats, now you are trapped in a city that would probably kill Mad Max at this point and time.

This is no longer about stealing to survivor, this is just people who have LOST IT and see this as a perfect chance to live out any sick and twisted desire they have ever wanted or take out any anger they have ever wanted.

Everyone put it on MSNBC sometime.  They were talking to the people in the convention center.  Just horrible.  They'll probably replay it.  Dad saying that he didn't have anything to feed his baby for 2-3 days, so he had to break into a store to get milk. Some of the people were passing out from dehydration or looked like they were on the verge of passing out. Chants for help.  People crying and screaming that they're sorry for not leaving, wishing they would have left.  Others saying that they went where the police told them to go and have been waiting for buses for 2 days.  The death toll is going to be a lot higher if they don't find a way to get food and water to all of those people.  I read somewhere that over 100 died from dehydration so far.  Just think what it'll be if they're still there for a few more days.

Jesus Christ.

There is nothing more to say anymore.

Guest *KNK*

Jesus Christ.

to make matters worst, it's expected for heavy rainfall to occur in the next couple days. Which only stands to make things worst.

Jesus Christ.

to make matters worst, it's expected for heavy rainfall to occur in the next couple days. Which only stands to make things worst.

Well of course. Wouldn't want something to come along and make things a little easier would you?

I really have no clue what they can do anymore. Anymore water surges and those left in the city are going to be worse off than ever before. And by worse off, I mean dead.

Can't get the people out of the ruins and those we do get out we have nowhere to send them.

More on the Convention Center, from the Interdictor Survival of New Orleans blog site. http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor

This is fucking insane.

The following is the result of an interview I just conducted via cell phone with a New Orleans citizen stranded at the Convention Center. I don't know what you're hearing in the mainstream media or in the press conferences from the city and state officials, but here is the truth:

"Bigfoot" is a bar manager and DJ on Bourbon Street, and is a local personality and icon in the city. He is a lifelong resident of the city, born and raised. He rode out the storm itself in the Iberville Projects because he knew he would be above any flood waters. Here is his story as told to me moments ago. I took notes while he talked and then I asked some questions:

Three days ago, police and national guard troops told citizens to head toward the Crescent City Connection Bridge to await transportation out of the area. The citizens trekked over to the Convention Center and waited for the buses which they were told would take them to Houston or Alabama or somewhere else, out of this area.

It's been 3 days, and the buses have yet to appear.

Although obviously he has no exact count, he estimates more than 10,000 people are packed into and around and outside the convention center still waiting for the buses. They had no food, no water, and no medicine for the last three days, until today, when the National Guard drove over the bridge above them, and tossed out supplies over the side crashing down to the ground below. Much of the supplies were destroyed from the drop. Many people tried to catch the supplies to protect them before they hit the ground. Some offered to walk all the way around up the bridge and bring the supplies down, but any attempt to approach the police or national guard resulted in weapons being aimed at them.

There are many infants and elderly people among them, as well as many people who were injured jumping out of windows to escape flood water and the like -- all of them in dire straights.

Any attempt to flag down police results in being told to get away at gunpoint. Hour after hour they watch buses pass by filled with people from other areas. Tensions are very high, and there has been at least one murder and several fights. 8 or 9 dead people have been stored in a freezer in the area, and 2 of these dead people are kids.

The people are so desperate that they're doing anything they can think of to impress the authorities enough to bring some buses. These things include standing in single file lines with the eldery in front, women and children next; sweeping up the area and cleaning the windows and anything else that would show the people are not barbarians.

The buses never stop.

Before the supplies were pitched off the bridge today, people had to break into buildings in the area to try to find food and water for their families. There was not enough. This spurred many families to break into cars to try to escape the city. There was no police response to the auto thefts until the mob reached the rich area -- Saulet Condos -- once they tried to get cars from there... well then the whole swat teams began showing up with rifles pointed. Snipers got on the roof and told people to get back.

He reports that the conditions are horrendous. Heat, mosquitoes and utter misery. The smell, he says, is "horrific."

He says it's the slowest mandatory evacuation ever, and he wants to know why they were told to go to the Convention Center area in the first place; furthermore, he reports that many of them with cell phones have contacts willing to come rescue them, but people are not being allowed through to pick them up.

I have "Bigfoot"'s phone number and will gladly give it to any city or state official who would like to tell him how everything is under control.

Compassion and caring is dead down there.

Dead and buried.

So much for that "we are ready for this" bull they fed us. They weren't ready for this. And while some overrun should be expected and understood, this just comes across like they really had no clue what they were going to do.

Did they expect no one to survive in New Orleans and the whole plan involved body bags and gloves? Cause that is what it is starting to feel like, as morbid as it is of me to say.

When all of this ends (and who knows when that will be) this is going to turn into an ambulance chaser's dream. Your going to have TONS of class action wrongful death lawsuits all over the place and we, the taxpayer, are going to get to foot the bill. How swell. Thanks NO for being complete idiots and screwing up what should've been planned out YEARS AGO.

Wonderful news. Remember that report earlier that the mayor was letting people from the Convention Center walk to the West Bank to "find whatever relief they could find". Well the West Bank is where I happen to live and didn't get much flooding so the area there is for the most part okay. That is until the rapists/looters/trash from the Convention Center walked to the West Bank and started burning buildings (our mall is apparently burned down), looting and destroying houses, taking over cars and hospitals, and causing another warzone in Jefferson Parish. Yep, the NO mayor is a genius and not inept at all.

Guest MugumboMcgee

Do you think terriorists will realize that America can barely handle a crisis at home that they are unlikely to ever gain full control of Iraq. How embarrasing is this for the USA? 4 days after the storm and they still can't even drop food and water supplies from the air.

Just numbers are being thrown around, no actual action. Now I've just heard on the news that New Orleans refugees are being turned away at the Astrodome in Houston!

CNN says they've reached the legal limit the building can hold as per the fire code. Wow. I hate to sound like a nerd, but imagine a crowd of poverty-stricken people the size of WM17 but possibly larger.

How did this happen? I thought there were only 10,000-12,000 in the dome and they were the largest shelter around? Did they just start taking everyone who said "Oh yeah, I'm from New Orleans, can I have a room?"

There has been several explosions in the city, unknown why at the minute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4207202.stm

The New Orleans riverfront has been hit by a series of massive blasts, and fires are raging in the area.

The cause and extent of damage are not yet clear. Police boats are at the scene of the explosions, which occurred at about 0430 (0930GMT).

The news came as extra troops were sent to quell lawlessness in the city, where thousands are stranded without food or water in Hurricane Katrina's aftermath.

Thousands have been brought out of the city, but many others remain.

President Bush, who is to visit the disaster zone, has requested $10.5bn (£5.7bn) emergency funds from Congress.

The Senate approved the initial aid and the House of Representatives is expected to back the move within the next 24 hours, to fund rescue and relief efforts in coming weeks.

Mr Bush's trip to the Gulf Coast communities smashed by the storm comes amid continuing criticism of the federal response.

"This is a national disgrace," New Orleans emergency chief Terry Ebbert said.

'Urban warfare'

Louisiana's governor said 300 "battle-tested" National Guardsmen were being sent to the crippled city.

"People were raped in the Superdome. People were killed in there. We had multiple riots"

New Orleans police officer

"They have M-16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will," Kathleen Blanco said.

Washington pledged a further 4,200 guardsmen in coming days, and said that 3,000 army soldiers may also be sent to the city where violence has disrupted relief efforts.

The deployment came as thousands were finally taken from the Louisiana Superdome, where up to 20,000 have been corralled amid heat and squalor since Katrina struck.

Hundreds or even thousands of people are feared to have drowned in the low-lying city, most of which is under water.

People made homeless by the flooding have grown increasingly desperate, as looting swept the city.

There have been outbreaks of shootings and carjackings and reports of rapes.

The federal emergency agency was trying to work "under conditions of urban warfare", director Michael Brown said.

The situation at the city's convention centre, where up to 20,000 other residents sought refuge, was also said to be increasingly desperate.

Families slept amid the filth and the dead.

The muddy floodwaters are now toxic with fuel, battery acid, rubbish and raw sewage.

"Call it biblical. Call it apocalyptic. Whatever you want to call it, take your pick," one survivor said.

"There were bodies floating past my front door. I've never seen anything like that," Robert Lewis said, near tears.

Anger

Residents have expressed growing anger and frustration with the disorder on the streets and timeliness of relief efforts.

The Houston Astrodome in Texas had to temporarily close its doors because of lack of space, after receiving 11,000 evacuees.

Officials at the site say they are having to make plans up as they go along.

But the federal emergency management association has asked for patience.

The agency says it has aid to deliver, but it takes time to reach them, given the magnitude of the disaster.

According to the White House, about 90,000 sq miles (234,000 sq km) has been affected by the hurricane.

The mayor of New Orleans has ordered a total evacuation and warned it will be months before people can return to their homes.