TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 9/8 - 9/10

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I assume he just means Kansas St. over the past decade or so when they've actually been ranked but never quite do anything notable (like beat Nebraska when it mattered).  Before Snyder of course they sucked.

Yeah^

Man if OU goes 8-3 this year the Big XII may be damaged for a long time. OU has basically been carrying the damn conference on it's back for the past 5 years. Sure we don't always win the conference but we're usually the team that is leagues ahead of everyone else like USC is in the Pac 10. If we go down and Texas doesn't step up then the whole conference is going down.

Oh and tonight OSU plays the fearsome Florida Atlantic Owls. After OSU struggled against Division 1-AA Montana State I don't hold much hope for them.

Guest Ether
Holy shit,  I say this as a Michigan student and lifelong fan, those boys are not a top 3 team right now.  They should be behind Ohio State, Iowa and LSU right now at least.  You could argue that Tennessee and Va.Tech are also better right now than Michigan.  All the talking heads have been saying they looked impressive against Northern Illinois.  Are the Huskies expected to contend for a MAC title because I thought "we" should have blown their doors off and won by at least 28 points

Northern Illinois has become one of the stronger MAC schools. They were the ones leading the "MAC Attack" in 2003 with wins over Maryland, Iowa State, and Alabama. Their biggest issue is that they never beat Toledo.

As far as Delaware and the Atlantic 10, unless you are a student, alumni, or live right by the campus, most people just don't care. Not big time enough. And no, the only Division I-A conference I can conceivably see it better than is the Sun Belt, and that would be pushing it.

From ESPN's previews:

Pity poor Tulsa. All week long the Sooners have heard they're not very good nor very tough. Unfortunately for Tulsa, it's the one who is going to pay for that.

To steal a phrase from Mike it seems that everyone thinks OU will lay a "righteous ass tanning" on Tulsa.

I mean I think they'll win(then again i thought they'd beat TCU by 17 points) but I don't know if it'll be this huge squash that everyone seems to think it'll be. I don't know if that offensive line can lay a beating on anything.

Holy shit,  I say this as a Michigan student and lifelong fan, those boys are not a top 3 team right now.  They should be behind Ohio State, Iowa and LSU right now at least.  You could argue that Tennessee and Va.Tech are also better right now than Michigan.  All the talking heads have been saying they looked impressive against Northern Illinois.  Are the Huskies expected to contend for a MAC title because I thought "we" should have blown their doors off and won by at least 28 points

Northern Illinois has become one of the stronger MAC schools. They were the ones leading the "MAC Attack" in 2003 with wins over Maryland, Iowa State, and Alabama. Their biggest issue is that they never beat Toledo.

As far as Delaware and the Atlantic 10, unless you are a student, alumni, or live right by the campus, most people just don't care. Not big time enough. And no, the only Division I-A conference I can conceivably see it better than is the Sun Belt, and that would be pushing it.

Those Blue Hens sure are a solid team. Did they not win the national championship two years ago. As for NIU, I damn sure hope that they don't beat Toledo this year. My buddy Josh is a starting tight end for them this year

Man complete role reversal. I seem to remember everyone I talked to before this thought Texas was going to get rolled much like how everyone thought they would get rolled by Michigan.

I'm picking Texas but honestly I hate saying it b/c they're my biggest rival but I think Texas is the only team worth a damn in the Big XII this year.

We'll see how OU rebounds but I don't see how the offense can rebound when the O-Line won't protect anybody. It's not like they're going to turn into a solid O-Line out of nowhere.

I never got this mentality and I'm not directing it to you specificially

Why do people feel like it's more important to "support" a team that's your rival simply because they are in the same division/conference

It applies in all sports.

OU fans should never in any condition cheer or support Texas in any form. Just like I will never see a OSU fan support Michigan and vice versa.

I hate the idea that cheering a rival is okay if it's to "support" the conference.

You can support Texas because you honestly feel they are the better team or you like their chances more but I can't understand why you or any one in regards to their team's rivals, would support the rival to win?

I can understand if you wanted Texas to win because it wouldn't make OU look as bad when they lose to Texas this year...

Maybe i'm just one of those crazy fans that believe supporting your *ACTUAL* team includes going against your rivals at all costs.

Amen to that...as an Iowa fan if it's a case of Michigan, Minnesota, or Iowa State going against a group of aliens and the human race is on the line in this game...I guess I'm rooting for extinction, lol.

Michigan beats Notre Dame, Texas beats Ohio State...and I'll be at the game and watch my Hawkeyes slap that cow college in Ames (Iowa State aka Moo U)

Dama.. Rhett Bomar was cited for underage drinking.

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar's status for the Sooners' game against Tulsa this weekend remains unchanged even though he was cited by police here for possession of alcohol by a minor, officials said Thursday.

Bomar, 20, was allegedly outside a residence near campus in possession of "a cocktail, which included alcohol" on Saturday, police Lt. Tom Easley said. Bomar wasn't arrested.

SI.com

And Ohio wins it on an interception return for a touchdown in overtime. Didn't take long for Dave Wannstedt to turn Tyler Palko into a shitty quarterback. Hey Tyler transfer to Stanford.

Not a good sign for the Big East. Guess I picked the wrong game for the contest tonight. Wazzu is mauling Nevada.

Not a good sign for the Big East. Guess I picked the wrong game for the contest tonight. Wazzu is mauling Nevada.

Wazzu better start running up the score or I'm screwed for the tiebreaker...

I figured that Nevada might ACTUALLY show up to play tonight.

Bear in mind that U of L is in the position of having to carry the conference and we barely snuck by friggin UK.

I took a look at WVU's schedule and it is fairly favorable for them. They get both Pitt and U of L at home and don't really play anyone of real note in conf. on the road.

Guest El Satanico

Slightly off topic...

Earlier tonight, I was watching the local news about the Ohio State Texas game, and they were talking about the police presense at the game.

They warned of uniform and undercover officers, while showing one of the undercover officers wearing...an official looking black tshirt with large yellow lettering reading "Undercover Police"

wtf

Dama.. Rhett Bomar was cited for underage drinking.

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar's status for the Sooners' game against Tulsa this weekend remains unchanged even though he was cited by police here for possession of alcohol by a minor, officials said Thursday.

Bomar, 20, was allegedly outside a residence near campus in possession of "a cocktail, which included alcohol" on Saturday, police Lt. Tom Easley said. Bomar wasn't arrested.

SI.com

Not to sound like an ass but I do work for a newspaper....I knew about this before ESPN reported it yesterday.

Guest Ether
And Ohio wins it on an interception return for a touchdown in overtime. Didn't take long for Dave Wannstedt to turn Tyler Palko into a shitty quarterback. Hey Tyler transfer to Stanford.

That was probably the most horrific and wretched thing I have ever witnessed. I really thought we were going to win that once it got to overtime. I can't believe I'm shelling out however many hundreds to watch Nebraska maul them next week.

Well, at least three good things happened:

1. We managed to get off campus rather quickly, since it will probably be destroyed in the morning.

2. The defense looked very good, albeit against low-level competition.

3. I can now root for Michigan to destroy Notre Dame, since a Notre Dame blowout loss can't embarrass Pitt any more than what just happened a few hours ago.

In my crazed, no chance in hell of being right prediction of the week:

Oklahoma doesn't come close to blowing out Tulsa as the "something to prove" Sooners run into the "nothing to lose" Golden Hurricanes (oh you know this name will come under fire soon).

My true thoughts:

If Tulsa even had signs of a run defense, they might be able to hang in this game. But their run defense literally couldn't stop me running up the middle right now. If Oklahoma doesn't win this game by 30 or more, it's time to circle the wagons and admit you are out of bullets Sooner faithful.

If the Sooners don't blow Tulsa out by at least 28 points I'll take down my Avatar for the rest of the season.

Peterson should have 150 plus yards rushing by the half against this defense. The Gophers ripped them apart and then ripped the shreds to pieces.

Anyone else interested in the Oregon St./Boise St. game today? I'm probably gonna check out a big of it on Fox Sports if nothing else than to see whether Oregon St. is any good or not (U of L plays em next week). That said I do like our chances against OR St. next week since it's at home and starts at noon, which is 9:00am for them.

Impressive opening drive by Notre Dame, and most of it was running a no huddle offense.

And yes I too am interested in the Boise State-Oregon State game.