TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
therealworldschampion

A look ahead towards college basketball...

In Philly, Villanova is looking extremely good for the Final Four this year as long as they stay healthy. The Big East is tough this year, and the OOC features Oklahoma, Texas, and the Big 5 series.

Over at Temple, Chaney has truly lost his mind by putting together his OOC. Duke, Maryland, South Carolina, Auburn, Alabama, Rutgers, Miami, and the Preseason NIT. That may cost the Owls a shot at the NCAAs this year.

The Big East is going to be so tough that there's no way I can single anyone in particular out. I think most of the C-USA teams joining will prove to be little more than jobbers (Marquette, South Florida, DePaul, etc). Cincy is screwed due to the Huggins thing coming at the worst possible time. Basically U of L is the only C-USA team that will be join the BE and do anything notable. Nova will be solid, UConn good, Cuse likely decent, Pitt their usual vicious selves, WVU is a real dark horse.

To be honest I don't see a real clear cut team to win like UNC was. Seems like most of the FF teams lost everyone.

I just want Florida State to actually live up to the talent they have recruited and stop looking like conference dogs.

Oh and Delaware in the NCAA tournament. Other than that, I've got no opinion at the moment.

OU is supposed to be good or something........whatever. They always choke it in basketball. At least we have 7 national football titles but we have no basketball titles.

2005 - 2006 will be a great season of College Hoops, and this is saying something after the past 3 seasons have been nothing but awesome, but 2005 - 2006 proves to be as awesome as ever.

After analyzing all of the Off Season Data, and reports. Here are the first of my 5 Pre-Pre Seaosn Predictions. Just to get people to start talking.

1) The Big East will establish itself as the top Leauge in College Hoops. For over 20 years, the ACC and Big East have waged war in the minds and hearts of the nation over which conference is the best in the land. The ACC has won that war in the public eye for quite some time. However, the Big East has definetely closed the gap from the 90's with 2 recent National Champions in Syracuse and UCONN. With teams like Pittsburg, West Virginia and Villanova stepping up, the Big East has started the war a new once more.

This year however, the Big East may see the battle turn in its favor. The new additions from Conference USA were the cornerstones of that leauge in the past. And putting them with the Big East is creating a Dream Conference. Games, which could only be seen at the Elite 8 - National Title Game Levels, are now regular season games. Players are coming to this conference in droves. The coaches are legendary. As it stands right now, it is quite possible for the Big East to acquire 8, 9 or possibly 10(!) bids to the dance. Think I'm lying? Then let me give you 5 Teams which are usually very good programs. Notre Dame, Marquette, DePaul, Seton Hall, Pittsburg. Usually one of these 5 Teams would be good enough to win a title in any leauge...

All of these teams are picked to finish 8th or worse (some as low as 14th) by many preseason polls.

A true Definition of a Monster.

(Next time #2: The Altantic 10 will Avenge itself of last year's nightmare season)

Dee Brown is gonna be on a fucking mission this year.

I'm not totally sold on the Big East yet, didn't UConn suspend both it's PGs over some stolen laptops? Did West Virginia lose anyone important?

Illinois had their chance last year, I kinda doubt they nearly run the table again.

If there is one problem that the Uber Big East will have it's that everyone is going to beat everyone else's ass. It'll be really tough to tell who is truly a legit tourney contender (maybe everyone??). Even leagues like the ACC had Duke, UNC, and someone else like either Wake or Maryland, but after that the league drops.

I think the BE being so stacked will hurt some teams like Marquette, ND, etc. Since they'll be lucky to finish .500 in the league it'll be tough to justify them making the tourney. It'll be cool to see U of L play Notre Dame again, haven't played them in years.

Fighting Blue Hens represent 2Gold.  They need to get rid of Henderson though.  He's been steadily making the program worse.

Well, when the coach before you is Mike f'n Brey, it's hard NOT to go any direction but south. Not to mention moving to the CAA, which now has Georiga State for fuck sake. Henderson has brought in some decent guys, but definately not the cailber of guys that allowed UD to hang with Duke (who is REALLY starting to hate schools from Delaware).

They still have All-American candiate Harding Nana so things look positive for the short run. We'll see

UCONN could be in trouble, as Marcus Williams and AJ Price might be out for the year after they got arrested for stealing computers from freshman dorms, and trying to sell them.

Illinois had their chance last year, I kinda doubt they nearly run the table again.

If there is one problem that the Uber Big East will have it's that everyone is going to beat everyone else's ass.  It'll be really tough to tell who is truly a legit tourney contender (maybe everyone??).  Even leagues like the ACC had Duke, UNC, and someone else like either Wake or Maryland, but after that the league drops.

I think the BE being so stacked will hurt some teams like Marquette, ND, etc.  Since they'll be lucky to finish .500 in the league it'll be tough to justify them making the tourney.  It'll be cool to see U of L play Notre Dame again, haven't played them in years.

I agree 100% with you on the Big East thing Cabbageboy. Every night in this uber Conference, someone has to lose. That is just a fact of the matter. 1 of 2 direct scenario's can happen.

1) The top 4 Teams dominate the Conference with records ranging from 14 - 2 and 11 - 5. While the middle 8 Teams all find someway to get between 10 - 6 and 6 - 10. As for the 13th - 16th Place Teams.....Well, they're just fucked.

2) Everyone is so good, that no one can remain consistent in terms of winning. When everyone beats the crap out of everyone else, it is going to show on the records. And as far as NCAA bids go though, someone who may legitmaly deserve one just for going though this leauge with a .500 record, may get shafted. It just takes one too many of these to happen for more "Spilt" talk to occur, and become reality.

One of the biggest strengths of the Big East, and biggest problems is that the Big East was the best conference in terms of partity and depth. Now before all the ACC fans attack me, the ACC has always had its share of jobbers that pad the wins for everyone else. What you see in that conference is that you have an elite Top Tier, a very small middle Tier, and a large Bottom Tier. The Big East (Save for its bottom 2 to 3 Teams) more often than not is a 10 - 11 deep conference in its old form. A 14 Deep Conference, could cause alot more problems than one wants.

Lets see how the selection committee judges the New Big East in the next 2 years. That should tell us if the conference is doomed or not.

Fighting Blue Hens represent 2Gold.  They need to get rid of Henderson though.  He's been steadily making the program worse.

Well, when the coach before you is Mike f'n Brey, it's hard NOT to go any direction but south. Not to mention moving to the CAA, which now has Georiga State for fuck sake. Henderson has brought in some decent guys, but definately not the cailber of guys that allowed UD to hang with Duke (who is REALLY starting to hate schools from Delaware).

They still have All-American candiate Harding Nana so things look positive for the short run. We'll see

Speaking of the Colonial (I am a Hofstra Student so, this is a subject of intrest), some of the fans honestly think that this is the year for them to acutally get an at large bid.

You may commence laughing, now.

Boston College

Duke

Georgia Tech

Maryland

North Carolina

North Carolina State

Virginia

Wake Forest

I would say that all eight of those teams are pretty good and could be considered among the top tier of college basketball teams, while the only "jobbers" in the conference are Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and Virginia Tech. I think what sets the ACC apart from other conferences is the atmosphere, nothing in the Big East can match Duke/UNC in intensity. Speaking of Duke, I expect them to have a really good season this year. I've seen Greg Paulus and Josh McRoberts in the various all-american games and they already seem to have a chemistry together. In my opinion, Josh McRoberts could easily be the next star in college basketball.

MSU will be back stronger than they were last year. With the only significant loss being Alan Anderson I expect a Big Ten title to be a reasonable goal this year, along with a solid tournament run in March.

Drew Neitzel

Shannon Brown

Maurice Ager

Marquise Grey

Paul Davis

I think that stacks up well with pretty much anyone's starters.

Okay JustJoe let's check it out here:

Boston College--Won't do shit in the ACC.

Duke--The lone really major contender next year from the ACC.

Georgia Tech--They lost everybody.

Maryland--I kinda think they've had their run.

North Carolina--Lost everyone off the title team.

North Carolina State--just a JTTS.

Virginia--also a JTTS

Wake Forest--Wake me up when they win in March.

I think what Dragon meant is that it seems like the ACC never has ALL these teams going strong at once. It's either Duke/UNC/Wake or Duke/Maryland or UNC/Wake at one point. The others are mostly there to be jobbers.

That said, the absolute worst main conference this year will be the SEC. It's been fucking horrible for the past few years anyway but Florida doesn't even have Walsh, Roberson, and Lee now, Bama lost some guys in foolish NBA decisions, and no one else is much aside from UK.

Okay JustJoe let's check it out here:

Boston College--Won't do shit in the ACC.

Duke--The lone really major contender next year from the ACC.

Georgia Tech--They lost everybody.

Maryland--I kinda think they've had their run.

North Carolina--Lost everyone off the title team.

North Carolina State--just a JTTS.

Virginia--also a JTTS

Wake Forest--Wake me up when they win in March.

I think what Dragon meant is that it seems like the ACC never has ALL these teams going strong at once.  It's either Duke/UNC/Wake or Duke/Maryland or UNC/Wake at one point.  The others are mostly there to be jobbers.

That said, the absolute worst main conference this year will be the SEC.  It's been fucking horrible for the past few years anyway but Florida doesn't even have Walsh, Roberson, and Lee now, Bama lost some guys in foolish NBA decisions, and no one else is much aside from UK.

This is exactley what I meant. And since you started it. Let me go into more detail, escpecially as far as this year goes.

Boston College - They will contend, and I honestly hope they win the whole thing (or at least tie for the Regular Season Title) as far as the ACC goes. Escpecially with a Big East Roster (which is what they have), it would give me enough laughs till Novembr 2006. But Skinner better hope that UCONN and Syracuse don't make good on that promise, and shut them out as far as Recruiting goes, or Boston College is Supremely Fucked.

Duke - Duke is going to be the popular favorite to win the National Title. Which is going to be all the much better when someone beats them.

Georgia Tech - They aint going to be shit this year. Pure Fact.

Maryland - IMO will be better if they could get over the shit that plauged them last year (inconsistent play and selfishness that the original Sailor Moon Sailor Senshi would blush over.) But Georgetown is about ready to make Washington DC there bitch again.

North Carolina - When you lose 90%+ of your offense, you're going to have a problem in an ACC that features Duke and Boston College. Hell, you're going to have a problem period. This looks like a rare double digit loss season for the Tar Heels.

North Carolina State - The jury is still out on this team. Remember, if most of the team came back last year, this will be the same team that got blown out by Fucking St. Johns. Though, I do buy that North Carolina State will be a fixure in the rankings if things go right for them.

Virginia: First off? Is it 1985? And if it is, why am I 24? No seriously, Virginia on any Top Tier list is laughable at best. This is team that hasn't done crap since the 80s, and has gone as long as Georgetown without a bid to the dance (2001). The only reason why Virginia has any strecth of a good record by ACC Time is because they play to their level and gather up 10 wins.

One of the things everyone has to realize, is if the rags, and Dukie V are right, then the ACC will be even more polarized this year than ever. Duke is supposed to be head and shoulders better than everyone else in College Hoops this year. If they prove this to be true in the ACC at least, then you're going to have a God Tier (Duke), an even thinner top Tier, an almost non existant middle one, and a shit tier so huge, that the SEC will go "damn". It could get really ugly on the Atlantic Coast really fast.

And Cabbageboy, thank you for bringing up that point about the SEC. I have been on the SEC is overrated train for years (escpecially when Auburn was picked over Seton Hall in 2003 for the Tournament), 2005 made this train seem like the right one. 2006 is....wow. The SEC is strapped.

What would've been the 1st and 2nd Teams for that conference (not to mention a huge chunk of the All Freshman Team) all bolted for the NBA, NBDL, Europe and Prep School. Alabamba and Georgia have been escpecially hurt by this. And it gets worse.

Kentucky is predicted to finish 2nd. People are calling Alabamba the class of SEC '06. Anyone else want to push the big red button that says 'Panic'?

Alabama is bullshit. Didn't they lose a bunch of guys who were either seniors or ill advised jumps to the pros? Take out UK from this past year (eyelash of the Final 4) and check out what the SEC did:

Florida: Staggered past a jobber 1st round, got waxed by Nova 2nd round.

Bama: Bitchslapped 1st round by....Wisc.-Milwaukee???

LSU: Got owned by a JTTS C-USA team in UAB. This is most embarrassing in my view since LSU looked strong going in and had a totally idiotic gameplan that involved running and gunning with the ultra speedy Blazers.

Miss St: They did at least give Duke a fairly tough game 2nd round, but they lost.

Anyway, as far as Duke goes yeah they should be stacked in the coming year. The thing is, for some reason I just cannot see J.J. Redick winning a national title. He'll choke, Sheldon Williams will get in foul trouble (he's still there, right?), and Duke will be history.

Alabama is bullshit.  Didn't they lose a bunch of guys who were either seniors or ill advised jumps to the pros?  Take out UK from this past year (eyelash of the Final 4) and check out what the SEC did:

Florida:  Staggered past a jobber 1st round, got waxed by Nova 2nd round.

Bama:  Bitchslapped 1st round by....Wisc.-Milwaukee???

LSU:  Got owned by a JTTS C-USA team in UAB.  This is most embarrassing in my view since LSU looked strong going in and had a totally idiotic gameplan that involved running and gunning with the ultra speedy Blazers.

Miss St:  They did at least give Duke a fairly tough game 2nd round, but they lost.

Anyway, as far as Duke goes yeah they should be stacked in the coming year.  The thing is, for some reason I just cannot see J.J. Redick winning a national title.  He'll choke, Sheldon Williams will get in foul trouble (he's still there, right?), and Duke will be history.

You don't need to tell me twice that Alabamba is crap. This is just what I was just going by what was in Lindy's piece of crap magazine, to prove the point you orignally bought up about the SEC sucking. And yeah, In no way, shape or form should Alabamba be given the nod over Kentucky this year from any preseason analysis. There is just no evidence for it.

And yes. Sheldon Williams is still there. Him and Reddick are staying for the chance to be National Champions.

Well I guess the basis of this is UK is a bit uncertain with Randolph Morris's status being up in the air and also Azabuike's goofy decision to turn pro. Thing is, UK didn't really have anyone all that amazing that couldn't be replaced. I mean let's face it, Morris was averaging 8 pts and 4 rebounds, hardly big numbers to replace. I'd say Alleyne and Obrzut combined will suffice in the middle even if Morris is ineligible. Azabuike was a semi star and technically the leading scorer, but he would vanish as often as not. Joe Crawford can step up and they'll be fine, or Ramel Bradley can get more PT.

I'll have to see this Duke bunch win it all to believe it. I think at this point the book is out on them: Force Redick into bad shots or pressure him and he'll choke...get Williams in foul trouble and you can kill them inside. Hell, Michigan St. did this simple strategy in the tourney and beat Duke without a huge amount of trouble.

He's still around.

Virginia is already better without that idiot Pete Gillen as their head coach. No excuses not to have an NCAA tournament team at UVA. Find a coach who knows what he's doing and you can win their.

Well I guess the basis of this is UK is a bit uncertain with Randolph Morris's status being up in the air and also Azabuike's goofy decision to turn pro.  Thing is, UK didn't really have anyone all that amazing that couldn't be replaced.  I mean let's face it, Morris was averaging 8 pts and 4 rebounds, hardly big numbers to replace.  I'd say Alleyne and Obrzut combined will suffice in the middle even if Morris is ineligible.  Azabuike was a semi star and technically the leading scorer, but he would vanish as often as not.  Joe Crawford can step up and they'll be fine, or Ramel Bradley can get more PT.

I'll have to see this Duke bunch win it all to believe it.  I think at this point the book is out on them:  Force Redick into bad shots or pressure him and he'll choke...get Williams in foul trouble and you can kill them inside.  Hell, Michigan St. did this simple strategy in the tourney and beat Duke without a huge amount of trouble.

I have to agree with you about Duke, if one of those freshmen, Paulus or the other one whose name escapes me at the moment can't play well, then Duke may have some trouble. I think Villanova could beat them in the tournament as long as they stay healthy, since they're loaded this year.

Nova almost beat UNC in the tourney and didn't they have someone hurt (Sumpter)? I'll be glad if U of L just splits with Nova this year in the home and home.

It's a shame Huggins got canned because I'd love to see a Huggins Cincy team go against Pitt. I ask you, is that not money in the bank or what?

Hey this'll be the first time in a long time that OU's b-ball team is better than the football team!

I've been hearing pre-season Top 10 projections for OU but I never trust the baskeball program.

Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Duke

2. Connecticut

3. Texas

4. Villanova

5. Michigan State

6. Oklahoma

7. Gonzaga

8. Louisville

9. Arizona

10. Kentucky

11. Boston College

12. Memphis

13. STANFORD~

14. Alabama

15. West Virginia

16. Syracuse

17. Illinois

18t. UCLA

18t. Wake Forest

20. Iowa

21. Maryland

22. Indiana

23. Iowa State

24. George Washington

25. Nevada

26. N.C. State

27. Ohio State

28. Washington

29. Kansas

30. Wisconsin

31. Texas Tech

32. LSU

33. Michigan

34t. Charlotte

34t. Oklahoma State

36. North Carolina

37. Old Dominion

38. Georgetown

39t. Florida

39t. Northern Iowa

41. Miami

42t. Western Kentucky

42t. Vanderbilt

44t. UNLV

44t. Utah State

44t. California

44t. Ohio

44t. Oral Roberts

49t. Temple

49t. Texas A&M

49t. Bucknell

Well, there's your new Big East.  Five teams in the preseason top 20.  This conference is going to be an absolute beast this year.

Except for my poor Pitt Panthers, who are notoriously absent for the first time in like forever...I hope they can play some solid defense and shock the Big East ;)

Man the more I look at that poll, the more I realize how retarded the coaches are not voting Pitt in the top 25 preseason...they must have no respect for our coaching staff. Blah.