TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

The OaO Arrested Development Season 3 thread

Larry David has nothing to do with NBC anymore and vice versa, except for the Seinfeld Special last year.

Larry David has nothing to do with AD.

NBC would not pick up a show that consistently tanks in the ratings everytime it's on, especially with their own struggling schedule.

FOX kept the show on for 3 seasons, despite its low ratings. FOX is also not at the bottom of the barrell, as it is usally tops in the ratings in the 18-49 demographic.

That's why your post makes no sense.

I remember the commercials for the show when it first came out always harping about Larry David and from one of the other creators of Seinfeld. Explain that if there's no Larry David connection.

Arrested Development has the same style of humor that Seinfeld did and the NBC audience always reacts well to shows with a more intelligent level of humor (Seinfeld and Frasier for example).

Larry David will always have a connection with NBC via his work with Seinfeld. I didn't say he worked for them or anything, just that he has a connection to them.

I remember the commercials for the show when it first came out always harping about Larry David and from one of the other creators of Seinfeld. Explain that if there's no Larry David connection.

Sure:

Consulting producer Jennifer Crittenden wrote for Seinfeld for two seasons.

That's the only Seinfeld connection on the writing staff.

There is no connection on the writing staff.

Jeff Garlin of Curbed has guest starred on AD a few times, that's really about it.

Arrested Development has the same style of humor that Seinfeld did and the NBC audience always reacts well to shows with a more intelligent level of humor (Seinfeld and Frasier for example).

The show costs a lot to produce and tanks in the ratings. NBC already has a smart single comedy show that no one watches. It's called The Office.

Larry David will always have a connection with NBC via his work with Seinfeld. I didn't say he worked for them or anything, just that he has a connection to them.

That's irrelevant.

Guest El Satanico

NBC has two...Scrubs

An NBC block of AD, Office and Scrubs = Please Watch TV.

HBO/Showtime is probably only chance the show has outside of Fox.

Show's back, and damn if Ron Howard hasn't stepped up as the narrator-

That shot of Rita One Year Earlier- Fuckin' Brilliant

"No, it's not part of my trick, Michael.

It's part of my ILLUSION!"

"WHY AM I NOT GOING UNDERWATER!?!?!"

Awesome. I'm going to miss this show so much.

Guest El Satanico

Shit, that's why i felt like I needed to be home at eight.

...too bad i ignored my feeling

The ending was brilliant. The return of old lines were great ("I want to have pop pop!", "The mere fact that you call it that shows that you aren't ready", "I've made a huge mistake", "I had that same basic idea", "Rita COOOOORNY"). George Michael with the cousin references, Maeby and her movie (Ocean Walker!), Lindsey busting out the Lucille wink. This was just amazing top to bottom.

Very funny episode, although I do find it appropriate that FOX effectively canceled Arrested Development, which can't get ratings partly because people don't get the jokes, just before an episode that was full of blatant send-ups to the past.

I'm dreading the ratings for this week.

They should just release the show on DVD, they'd easily make enough money to cover the cost of making it, it wouldn't be restricted, and no one would have to worry about fox's idiot audience, who has to be told when to laugh, not watching.

I'd spend 30-40 bucks on a new full season.

Guest El Satanico

Supposedly, the show costs a million per episode, so a DVD only season would be costly.

^Heh, god damn how can a show this awesome not be ruling all kinds of ratings ass.

And at 1 mil an episode, that's 12-20 mil for a full season including advertising, the audience is around 3 million right, and you know 90% of that audience would by a DVD at $20-30, 60-70% at $50. It wouldn't be turning an outrageous profit, but it would be profitable and maintainable.

"No, that's not my trick Michael...."

On the next Arrested Development

"... it's my illusion!"

That just might be the all time funniest thing, not just on AD but just out of EVERYTHING, that I've ever seen in my life. I broke into a fit of laughter unlike ever before, leading to tears, and then the part right after that where we heard the chaos and "Why am I not going under water? DEAR GOD, WHY AM I NOT GOING UNDER WATER!?", it just added to my reaction.

If this was the final episode, and we never saw another one again, I would have been perfectly happy with that ending to the entire series.

Wow.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The entire episode was great though, with plenty of one-liners and sight gags. The entire payoff of the Rita storyline wasn't finding out that she's retarded, but this episode made that ending of the episode the payoff. Even if it wasn't originally planned like that, it's still freaking genius. It just totally caught me off guard, in every sense of the words.

One of my other favorite moments/lines from the episode was when GM goes "Let's just say it would be cute if it was someone much younger." (his star wars fight started playing) and then he says "I'm sorry, we should get another tape...they're not expensive."

Most people don't mention Michael Cera's work on AD, but he's always been one of my favorite guys on the show. He has a very bright future ahead of him. He's got fantastic comedic timing.

Most of you wont understand this, but he also reminds me of Chester from "The Sifl & Olly Show" at times. It's the way he says things every now and then. Do any of you have any idea what I'm talking about there?

Ron Howard was on Leno tonight to promote the DVD release of Cinderella Man. No mention of Arrested Development was made, even in passing, which is sad considering that the show could use something, anything, at this point.

I know I just watched Leno in the hopes that Ron would mention it (the beard works for him, all balding men need beards to even out the loss of hair) but no he was just shilling Cinderella Man in his "please don't forget my movie at the Oscars, I didn't throw the phone remmember?" shtick.

"No, that's not my trick Michael...."

On the next Arrested Development

"... it's my illusion!"

That just might be the all time funniest thing, not just on AD but just out of EVERYTHING, that I've ever seen in my life.

That wasn't the funniest thing ever. That wasn't even the funniest joke in the show

I broke into a fit of laughter unlike ever before, leading to tears

Yes.