TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

WCW Observer Quotes

Guest Hasbeen2

"Quote #468

"The show was supposed to end with the angle where Sting laid out every member of the NWO except Bischoff and Hogan who escaped unscathed. Because so many fans were hitting the ring, they ran out of time and Sting didn't make it to the ring on time. When Bischoff in the ring realized the angle was blown, he very audibly swore, and then totally freaked out in the ring not realizing that there was a live mic picking it up and it went over the air since there was no seven second delay. He had his head in his hands when the camera came back on him after the swearing" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 22, 1997"

Normally fans trying to get into the ring pisses me off but that one just now made me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes and nearly got sick.

Hogan was his actual opponent at Fall Brawl, so what is wrong with beating the crap out of your opponent?

No, he hit Hogan with the bat after Fall Brawl if we're talking about the same incident Jingus talked about earlier (where Sting pretended to be a little Hulkamaniac....they did have a "rematch" at Halloween Havoc though.

Quote #76

"Ace (had) an exchange with Luger. Luger compared himself to a Ferrari and said that if you keep hitting a Ferrari with a sledge hammer, pretty soon it's worthless. Ace's reaction was something to the effect of having no idea what it meant" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 26, 2001

Quote #301

"Scott Hall's ex-wife appeared on Orlando radio where she claimed 99% of wrestlers were on drugs. Jim Duggan's wife called up and claimed it was 10%. Billy Gunn then called up and said that if he did drugs, his wife would kick him out of the house" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 26, 1998

"One of Ultimo Dragon's students from Naucalpan was brought in for a tryout. He was given the name 'Tam Pong' in someone's idea of a practical joke" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 12, 1998

"Chavo stormed off talking about forming a Pepe World Order" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 26, 1998

"After the match, Alex Wright beat up Pepe until Chavo made the save" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: November 30, 1998

"Fans were taunting Bret Hart about his (groin) injury. (Hart) said that none of them even had groins" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 7, 1998

I love this thread.

"Scott Steiner showed up to plead guilty to terroristic threats. Paul Kaspereen, a worker with the Georgia Department of Transportation, was directing traffic and wouldn't let Steiner's car into a closed lane. Steiner climbed out of his truck and said "Move or I will run you over". Steiner got back in the car and drove it, hitting Kaspareen lightly. He then told him again to move or he'd run him over, and then hit him a second time. Steiner's attorney told the judge that he plead guilty only because he thought the jury might convict him because of his wrestling heel character" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 7, 1998

Man, I almost died laughing at that one. Scott Steiner can do no wrong.

Yeah I remember Sting attacking Hogan with a bat at the end of that Fall Brawl match, but if anything I recall the crowd popping big time for it. Hogan's face act was lame at that point and nobody was buying it, and the crowd was glad Sting did something he should have done to Hogan a long time before. I still don't think it was a heel turn, maybe more of a tweener turn.

No, it was a full fledged heel turn. I had a subscription to WOW Magazine at the time (the somewhat short lived semi-smark magazine that was run by Bill Apter) and I remember they had an article about Sting's shocking heel turn. The thing is as you (and the article) pointed out is that Hogan was so lame by September '99 that the audiences cheered Sting when he whacked Hogan so his heel turn really had no effect.

I always thought WCW made a massive mistake by turning Hogan face in March of '99. His schtick was way too tired and it hadn't been long enough for people to become nostalgiac for his old persona. In many ways, WCW fans only really accepted him as a heel (with the exception of maybe his first few appearences and the first night back in the red and yellow in front of that crowd in IIRC Idaho that went ape shit for everything).

Over the past decade, Hogan sometimes seems like he gets over better as a babyface in the nWo colors than he does in the traditional red & yellow.

Someone on the first page mention the Scummy Urban legends thread that DVD had. Can anyone find a link to the thread? I tried but had no luck.

That started out as a good thread but turned into plain hearsay, to bullshit rumours to just respones to earlier quotes by the end. I think they had it pinned for a while but I'm guessing they don't anymore.

Quote #160

"Chris Jericho's final WCW match was 7/21 in Peoria, IL in a tag match teaming with Eddie against Kidman and Mysterio. Before the match, Jericho said that if he got pinned he'd leave WCW. Misterio than said everyone already knew it was his last night in WCW. (After the match) all four hugged in the ring. There were fans in near tears, as was Jericho. Kidman started a Jericho chant. Jericho said that he was overwhelmed by the response, but he still thinks that Peoria sucks" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

That site is priceless.

:D thank you for that, it is sigged

I think the Sting "heel" turn is much like these various guys attacking John Cena today. Yeah, it's the mechanics of a typical heel turn, but the guy being turned on is so tired that fans don't mind.

That said, my choice for the single most heatless, baffling heel turn is The British Bulldog turning on Diesel after Summerslam 1995. Take an unover champion in Nash, a guy nobody really wanted to boo in Davey Boy, and an onscreen relationship that wasn't ever developed to begin with and you have a recipe for one heatless as hell heel turn. I remember distinctly that I had open house at school the night of that Raw and then found out about this heel turn on the weekend show. Todd Pettengill was like "The British Bulldog is a piece of scum!" and I wondered what he was talking about. Then they show him attacking Diesel in some nothing tag match and I thought "So? Have these guys ever been friends?"

I think the Sting "heel" turn is much like these various guys attacking John Cena today. Yeah, it's the mechanics of a typical heel turn, but the guy being turned on is so tired that fans don't mind.

That said, my choice for the single most heatless, baffling heel turn is The British Bulldog turning on Diesel after Summerslam 1995. Take an unover champion in Nash, a guy nobody really wanted to boo in Davey Boy, and an onscreen relationship that wasn't ever developed to begin with and you have a recipe for one heatless as hell heel turn. I remember distinctly that I had open house at school the night of that Raw and then found out about this heel turn on the weekend show. Todd Pettengill was like "The British Bulldog is a piece of scum!" and I wondered what he was talking about. Then they show him attacking Diesel in some nothing tag match and I thought "So? Have these guys ever been friends?"

it was actually before summerslam, as I remember it well. and the talked about him at summerslam as well as showing him ariving at the arena. but he never appeared. then luger came out to tease truning heel as well during the mabel match, but he attacked the heels instead, then abpruptly appeared on the 1st nitro two weeks later