TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

WCW Observer Quotes

Quote #69

"Chavo Jr. & Animal beat Misterio Jr. & Kidman. Schiavone was waiting all day for the line talking about Misterio Jr. wrestling in Mexico, and then said, Mexico is bordered to the south by Guatemala, not Nicaragua, as everybody knows. For the other three million viewers who don't have any idea why he said this, it's because 11 years ago, there was this guy who did a wrestling newsletter named Steve Beverly who had the ear of a guy at TBS named Jeff Carr. Carr made the call that WCW Saturday Night should only have one host, and it was Ross. Schiavone was so mad he went to the WWF for several years. He's hated Beverly ever since. Anyway, last week on 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire', a contestant was asked what country bordered Mexico to the south and called Beverly for a lifeline and Beverly said Nicaragua and his friend hesitated, but went with Beverly's pick, and was wrong." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 05, 2001

Words can't describe how funny that situation is. The fact that Flair was in competition with Jesus, the fact that Jesus was dropped on the ballot for Hitler, or the fact that Raven was on the list. Take your pick on what the funniest part of that is. There is no wrong answer.

I tried the link to all of those quotes and it won't work. Does anyone have the link to those anymore ?

Oh and my favorite is:

Quote #1

"Nobody has any idea why they brought a live tiger from the zoo to accompany Steiner to the ring on Nitro. Backstage, when he was trying to get a photo with the tiger, the tiger nearly took a chuck out of Rey Mysterio's eye" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 10, 2000.

Woohoo!

mikesandersponyaw7.jpg

I like this one:

Quote #15

"The only ratings question of the week was whether or not WCW Nitro would beat the Westminster Dog Show on the USA Network on 2/14. The answer was no" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 21, 2000.

So many of the quotes are so great, but this one really took me back:

Quote #109

"Flair is about to be dropped from the Time Magazine Man of the Century internet balloting where he is currently in second place behind Jesus Christ. More than 20 million people have voted, making it the biggest web poll in history, with Flair getting more than 310,000 votes as of 3/31. Flair is being dropped because Janice Castro, the editor of Time.com, said his showing is due to unfair lobbying from wrestling web sites. Jesus is about to go down as well, as religious organizations have gotten members to flood the ballot box too. Time.com is planning an exit strategy, however with the God of wrestling and the Son of God removed, the big winner in the poll appears to be Adolf Hitler, who would become the front runner" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

:lol:

And then we have this one that's on YouTube:

Quote #124

"La Parka & Silver King beat Damien & Ciclope. This was a total complete disaster. Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan laughed their way through the match, saying over and over in the most demeaning tone that this was a 'Mexican Hardcore Match'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

We should try to find clips of as much of this stuff as we can so everyone who never had a chance to see it when it first aired can see just what it was like:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KpgzaG7gEuk

Quote #126

"Savage's girls seduced Savage. Stupid Nash jumped into the limo and they slammed the door. Savage drove it a few yards and jumped out and a Hummer ran into the limo. They spent $100,000 to get a 2.7 quarter" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 14, 1999

That mexican hardcore match is hillarious. My favourite line was, whilst laughing:

"He just got hit in the head with a chair like 3 minutes ago"

"at 90 miles and hour"

"and now he's fine!"

Here's a few that I got a chuckle out of

"Bischoff made a remark that they didn't have to give tickets away at a 7-11 to get people to come to this PPV. That was in reference to the WWF which only could get 48,000 paid for its show last week."

- Dave Meltzer, Wrestling Observer (February 3, 1997) In reference to Souled Out and the Royal Rumble.

He showed them...

"Kevin Nash then came out with a black girl, I guess to show that he is cool." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

well, that makes sense I guess.....

"Funk attacked Rhodes after the match, knocking him out with a loaded chicken" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 20, 2000.

Gold

"On Nitro during the opening meeting (with Russo), everyone was supposed to act scared and somber, but you could see everyone biting their tongue because Brian Knobs' hair was set on fire by the pyro coming out" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 17, 2000

I gotta see a video of this one

"Sting and Vampiro fought in a graveyard. Vampiro broke a tombstone over Sting's head and he fell into a grave. Offically, because Sting may have died, this match was ruled a no contest" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 08, 2000.

Gotta hate when that happens

"In a meet and greet in Sydney, Australia, Chae (Nitro girl) was asked if she was dating Kevin Nash. She said that she was. Kevin Nash a few weeks back on TV said he was going out after the show to 'eat a little Korean' so I guess that publicly puts one and one together" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 16, 2000

I got a good laugh out of that one

Guest the_last_rites

"They did a segment claiming Russo had suffered a blood clot to the brain and needed emergency brain surgery"

Crap I thought that was a shoot.

"Hogan did the first huricanrana of his career" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 15, 2000

Wha?!

"During the commerical, they soaked the ropes with gasoline. Sting came out, then Vampiro came out and called him Steve, and said they would have an inferno match on the PPV. Sting said that's nuts and he isn't going to do it. At this point the ropes were supposed to set on fire but they didn't. The fans started laughing and booing," - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 22, 2000

Now thats funny.

"In a TV commercial in the Nashville market for the 2/18 PPV, the voiceover really says 'expect a night of run-ins'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 12, 2001

"Eddie Guerrero claimed that one of the Mexicans stole his wallet but didn't know which one because they all wore masks" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 12, 1999

That one really made me laugh.

Quote #157

"On a radio show this week, the host brought up that the Nitro main event lost to the Raw main event by a full four ratings points. Hogan's response was that it was Benoit, Malenko, Saturn and Douglas that brought the rating down and he had to make up for lost ground" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Quote #158

"For the record, the quarter with Benoit, Malenko, Saturn and Douglas drew a 3.3 quarter. The final quarter (Hogan vs. Sid) did a 2.9" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

Awesome.

"They did a segment claiming Russo had suffered a blood clot to the brain and needed emergency brain surgery"

Crap I thought that was a shoot.

Russo really did get a concussion. He decided it'd be a good idea for Goldberg to spear him through a steel cage into the guardrail (he also won the Heavyweight Championship that way, in case you'd mercifully forgotten). Then he proceeded to take the rest of the year off, claiming he couldn't do his job because of it. His job consisted of holding a pencil and talking.

He means Hogan took a huricanrana from Kidman.

Oh right, I was going to say...

As noted by the hilarious La Parka/Madusa exchange and also the Eddie bit with the wallet, the Russo Era in WCW had its moments. Hell, I'll take the Powers That Be angle over the dreck that preceded it in 1999 under the Nash regime. WCW was seriously at its worst from roughly May-Oct. 1999. Once Russo took over they did get at least silly and fast paced.

As noted by the hilarious La Parka/Madusa exchange and also the Eddie bit with the wallet, the Russo Era in WCW had its moments. Hell, I'll take the Powers That Be angle over the dreck that preceded it in 1999 under the Nash regime. WCW was seriously at its worst from roughly May-Oct. 1999. Once Russo took over they did get at least silly and fast paced.

January 2000-March 2000 was much, much worse. That was the worst booked promotion I've seen in my entire life and I've been watching since the mid-80s.

Russo's first run in late 1999 had its moments and I think things would have been okay had he gotten another 6-12 months to establish new characters and round out some storylines that he was starting to build. Three months just isn't enough time to property evaluate a booker.

Guest the_last_rites

absolutely and if i remember right I used to watch WCW just to watch Natural Born Ratings Killaaahhhhhsss . Mike Sanders was gold on the mic although a tad repetitive. Jarrett wasnt all that bad once they got over the whole 'worked shoot nonsense' . Goldberg was Goldberg. 3 count and Jung Dragons tore up my television regularly. Plus who wouldnt mind seeing Tank Abbott dance a little.

P.S The Wall rocked

January 2000-March 2000 was much, much worse. That was the worst booked promotion I've seen in my entire life and I've been watching since the mid-80s.

I concur, I ordered SuperBrawl X and to this day, I'm not sure why. It was just an exercise in torture to watch Nitro at that time.

Now there was like a six week transition period in WCW in '99 from early September to mid October between Nash and Russo's reign that I really enjoyed. Bret Hart came back and for the first time was sort of getting pushed. I actually enjoyed The Sting heel turn that happened at that time. I thought they were just starting to get out of the hole but then Russo came in and the rest is history.

Get out of the hole? The whole Fall Brawl 99 period was horrendous for WCW. It was in that bizarre makeshift period when Bischoff had been canned, Russo hadn't come in, and they were just trying to get by. They also were burying the various Revolution guys to the First Family (which made zero sense). Oh and the last vestige of the Hummer Angle was involved in the Sting/Hogan match at FB 99.

Get out of the hole? The whole Fall Brawl 99 period was horrendous for WCW. It was in that bizarre makeshift period when Bischoff had been canned, Russo hadn't come in, and they were just trying to get by. They also were burying the various Revolution guys to the First Family (which made zero sense). Oh and the last vestige of the Hummer Angle was involved in the Sting/Hogan match at FB 99.

Hey, it wasn't great but it was better than the shit Nash, Russo or Sullivan gave us. I think they were just getting their shit together just as Russo came in. I mean the 1 or 2 shows right before Russo came in were decent by '99 WCW standards.

I've seen all of those shows from May to September of '99 and I'll take Fall Brawl over any of them. Granted, that's not saying anything at all since they were all pretty much total shit.

Actually Nash and Sullivan were both booking the Fall Brawl 99 era, it was a makeshift booking team until Russo got there. To be honest it's been so long since I saw Fall Brawl 99 that I barely recall it besides the main. Yeah maybe it wasn't quite as awful as stuff like BATB 99 (still the only PPV my friend Ian literally walked out on) or GAB 99, but it still sucks ass.

And that brief era did yield stuff like Bret vs. Benoit, but it was just overall so completely aimless that they had to do something else.

I still say the Hummer Angle is the worst angle in the history of wrestling. It flat out wrecked WCW in 1999. Sure Katie Vick was more offensive and embarrassing, but it didn't really wreck WWE since they at least dropped it quick.

Quick question; so I'm the guy who liked Sting's heel turn, am I correct? I think the biggest reason it didn't work is because the fans couldn't hate Sting.

And The Hummer Angle was terrible IMO because it was never consistant. It seems like they'd completely forget it for weeks at a time and then it'd be a hot button issue.

I liked Sting's heel turn. I laughed my ass off at the bit where Hogan was signing autographs for kids, and Sting sneaks up behind him Crow-stylz saying "Hey Hulk, can I get your autograph Hulk, you're my hero Hulk!" in this high-pitched voice.

No, he acted heel but I think one of the problems with the turn was the fact that WCW were sick of Hogan by then and Sting was the guy for that company for a decade at that time. So now they were all of a sudden expected to accept him as a chickenshit heel? I thought Sting made a pretty good heel but I flat out think WCW fans couldn't accept a Sting heel turn.

I honestly don't remember much about Sting's heel turn since it was quickly forgotten and truth be told I don't even remember it being a flat out HEEL turn. It seemed more like Sting just going tweener for a while and besides I didn't feel like Sting had done anything wrong. He was confronted with Luger (his actual storyline friend) trashing Hogan, so he finally said the hell with it and smartened up and beat the piss out of Hogan. Hogan was his actual opponent at Fall Brawl, so what is wrong with beating the crap out of your opponent?

In fact the Hummer angle had a part in that Sting/Hogan feud. Luger kept insinuating that Hogan was the driver, yet the guy who had been run over (Nash) had just lost a retirement match and the other guy involved (Savage) was basically MIA. I still think that if they had just had it be Sid as the driver it would have been a nice little angle that brought a guy in as a psycho heel and Sid would have gotten more over than he did with the phony streak.

It would've made sense: Sid was a guy Savage brought in, helped Macho Man beat Nash for the belt, Savage said he was the one behind the hummer driver, so yeah, Sid was the obvious choice. So obviously WCW teased us for months then pretended it never happened.

Sting also was starting to dress differently during his heel turn. If I remember correctly, he wrestled in black pants and a t-shirt in his match with Bret Hart at Mayhem '99. Guess it as a way for the crowd to hate hikm since he ditched the black spandex. Still had the facepaint though.

That mexican hardcore match is hillarious. My favourite line was, whilst laughing:

"He just got hit in the head with a chair like 3 minutes ago"

"at 90 miles and hour"

"and now he's fine!"

I hate to admit it but Tony's lines in that match were pretty damn funny. That match also reminded me how much La Parka ruled.