TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

NHL Thread

Fuck, I'm stoked. If all 15 games Wednesday end in 0-0 ties, I'll still have an all day hard-on Thursday.

General thoughts about the week ahead? I'm particularly intrigued by the Ottawa-Toronto matchup. Ottawa's always had the edge in the regular season, but Hasek's still a question mark. I'm calling for a monster season for Heatley, and I relaly think Ottawa's the team in the East.

Just imagine the confidence they'll have from either beating Hogtown in the playoffs, or not having Hogtown around for April.

While I'm getting ahead of myself, Wednesday is long overdue, welcomed with open arms, and should be a great preview of things to come.

There are no ties anymore.

Anyways, Perrault is with Nashville so, there's a strong second line centre and an excellent face-off man done there.

Montreal is planning on something big, trying to get the NHL All-star game in 2009, the NHL Draft, World Juniors in 2009, celebrating 100 years of club existance.

Also there are three more retired numbers going up, and I can see it all being from the 70's (Dryden, Robinson and Serge Savard IMO)

There are no ties anymore.

Anyways, Perrault is with Nashville so, there's a strong second line centre and an excellent face-off man done there.

Montreal is planning on something big, trying to get the NHL All-star game in 2009, the NHL Draft, World Juniors in 2009, celebrating 100 years of club existance.

Also there are three more retired numbers going up, and I can see it all being from the 70's (Dryden, Robinson and Serge Savard IMO)

I know he left of bad terms but they should retire #33, Patrick Roy.

I was thinking of doing one of these threads a month. That should be enough for the demand around here. One a week wouldn't generate enough posts, and one blanket thread is way too unwieldy.

What do you guys think?

I was thinking of doing one of these threads a month.  That should be enough for the demand around here.  One a week wouldn't generate enough posts, and one blanket thread is way too unwieldy.

What do you guys think?

Maybe every 10 days or so. I guess we'll hammer somethin out.

Opening night looks to be pretty good.

Montreal @ Boston (I'll be watching this)

Isles @ Sabres

Rangers @ Flyers (OLN's game)

Jackets @ Crapitals

Thrashers @ Panthers

Pens @ Devils (Crosby's NHL debut)

Canes @ Bolts

Blues @ Red Wings

Sens @ Leafs (could be great, could be a blowout)

Flames @ Wild

Sharks @ Nashville (could be a playoff preview, both teams are very good)

Ducks @ Blackhawks

Kings @ Stars

Avs @ Oil

Dogs @ Nucks

Guest Rrrsh

Dogs Nucks and T.DOt and Sens are on TSN nationally.

Biggest blowout of Day1? Wings killing St Loius.

Comcast High-Speed Internet customers gain exclusive access to live NHL streamed action

PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA - News, CMCSK - News), the nation's leading provider of cable, entertainment and communications products and services, joins the NHL and OLN to make hockey history as the first Internet provider to stream live NHL games over the Internet. Comcast's more than 7.7 million High-Speed Internet customers will be the first and only broadband users to experience hockey action live on their PCs, during the 2005-2006 season.

This exclusive agreement gives Comcast High-Speed Internet customers access to up to two live games daily, for a total of up to 300 throughout the season, up through the Stanley Cup playoffs. Beginning October 5, users can view the live NHL games in the Sports channel on Comcast.net.

Comcast.net will begin adding new NHL content to its Sports Channel next

month:

--  Access to archive of streamed games (for 48 hours after original

broadcast)

--  Hockey Live Video Player - player used to watch live and archived

games

--  Hockey Fan video player - video clips of game highlights,

previews, reviews, and interviews that are easy to watch, search for,

and organize

--  Links to OLN television schedule and expert commentary

--  Links to NHL full-season schedule and merchandise

--  NHL Scoreboard

Content will be updated throughout the season, with future enhancements planned. These include: scoreboards, standings, league leaders, a fantasy hockey league, and additional community features.

Comcast is making access to these games easy and convenient for all hockey fans - from the casual viewer to the die-hard fanatic. Comcast subscribers can view the action from their homes or anywhere there is a broadband connection. Hockey buffs who are out of town and miss their favorite teams will now still be able to enjoy them on Comcast.net. Local blackout restrictions will be in effect for all games.

"With Comcast, hockey fans can experience an entirely new level of their favorite sport," said Greg Butz, senior vice president of marketing and business development for Comcast Online. "We are offering our customers a fast, reliable connection and content they can't get from any other broadband provider - such as their favorite NHL teams, streamed live and archived for a limited time, for added convenience."

To launch the season, Comcast.net will be hosting a live online chat with Mike "Doc" Emrick. Doc Emrick has more than 25 years of experience calling games for the NHL and is the main play-by-play voice for OLN's NHL coverage. The chat will be held tonight, Tuesday, October 4 at 9:00 p.m. ET/ 6:00 p.m. PT. He will be available to answer fan questions about:

--  The impact of rules changes

--  Thoughts about the introduction of the shootout as a tiebreaker

--  His predictions for the upcoming season

--  Much more

"Streaming live NHL games is a key element to our multi-media deal with Comcast," said Doug Perlman, NHL Senior Vice President of Television and New Media. "Our fans are some of the most passionate and tech savvy in professional sports, and this is another great way for them to connect with the NHL."

The feed will be supplied through the "Hockey Live Video Player," a Comcast-branded Windows Media Player.

Sports enthusiasts can access the Comcast.net Sports Channel by going to http://www.Comcast.net/sports or by clicking "Sports" on the left hand navigation bar on Comcast.net.

This news follows the August 18, 2005 announcement of the NHL, OLN, and Comcast partnership. It marks another step towards fulfilling the partners' promise of redefining the sport of hockey for its viewers.

Comcast will broadcast over 25 regular season games and select playoff games in high definition.

Comcast-owned OLN is the new cable television home of the NHL. OLN's schedule features 58 regular-season games, wall-to-wall playoff action and the first two games of the Stanley Cup Finals. The schedule highlights some of the most exciting hockey match-ups, such as Boston vs. Montreal, Chicago vs. Detroit, Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia, Colorado vs. Detroit and Boston vs. NY Rangers. Every U.S.-based team will be featured on OLN at least once during the regular season, with teams like Detroit and Colorado making eight appearances each. Mike "Doc" Emrick will be the network's lead play-by-play announcer, John Davidson will serve as the network's lead analyst, Bill Clement and Keith Jones will host OLN's studio show.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051004/phtu029.html?.v=24

Good if you have Comcast internet.

Guest Brian

God, I just caught wind of the new rules and I'm pumped. As a casual NHL fan, it looks good.

Gonna go see the Blue Jackets Home Opener on Friday. Really looking forward to it. Nationwide Arena is a great place to watch a hockey game, and I always have a good time while watching the Jackets. What's more, they're actually supposed to be decent this year, which is a plus.

I never thought I'd see a time where the Nashville Predators would be recognized as a top 5 team in the league, but they are getting that respect this year. I can't wait for tonight. IT'S BACK FUCKERS!

Anyone think a Canadian team might pull it off this year for the first time in forever?

I loved watching Barry Melrose explain the new NHL rules on Sportscenter. The guy could just be reading recipies from an Emeril cookbook and I'd still be glued to the TV.

Anyway, I'll probably be watching the Bruins game before LOST tonight. For threads, I suggest we start with a monthly one, but if it becomes too much to follow, switch to one every 2 weeks or so.

Guest I miss Test.

How long before the hockey "newness" wears off.

I'll say 2 weeks.

The Ducks have a pretty good shot at making the playoffs in the bottom half of the Western Conference bracket. Signing Scott Niedermayer away from the Devils gives their defense instant credibility.