TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

The NHL Thread

Sean Avery is one dirty ass player. When any of you get a chance to see his hit on Gamoche, you'll see what I mean.

its too bad that the blackhawks haven't been able to bring it all together this year. injuries on the front end is certainly hurting their offensive production. but dang, khabibulin was been rotten thus far. but he was for tampa at the early part of last year, too. luckily, it seems that there are no gaurentees out in the west. they can still possibly make the playoffs.

Hurricanes improve to 10-2 with a 2-0 win over the Florida Panthers. I think it is time people starting giving the 'Canes a little attention as they are one of the top teams in the NHL.

How about the Rangers?

Won again today, and lead the eastern conference after going into the season predicted to finish last. Not that I think they'll win the east, but its fun while it lasts.

Wings drop 2 in a row, both at home losing 4-1 to Phoenix tonight. Chelios shoots his mouth off to a ref and gets his dumb ass ejected. Now 12-2-1, still lead the league in wins, but have played 2 more games than a few 10 win teams like Carolina. They look to be coming back down to earth and probably will start sliding back into the pack in the west.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=142272&hubName=nhl

Bruins dealt Andy Hilbert for a draft pick. This is troubling. Hilbert could have gone in a package to get a good defenseman. Instead, I guess MOC is going to put the AHL All-Stars out there.

Since Hilbert could only get a 5th round pick, I really don't think his inclusion in a package would have made much of a difference. If nothing else, maybe they can inlude this pick in a trade instead of an actual body.

Tuomo Ruutu is out for the Blackhawks with a back injury. He'll be on the shelf for 3-12 weeks. So it keeps getting worse for those lonley Blackhawks.

The Flames take their fourth straight, 4-3 over Vancouver. It was the first time that the Flames broke 3 goals this season.

I like it.

Tuomo Ruutu is out for the Blackhawks with a back injury. He'll be on the shelf for 3-12 weeks. So it keeps getting worse for those lonley Blackhawks.

daze is out for an undetermined amount of time as well. without ruutu & daze, they really have no scoring power outside of the rookie phenom vorobiev & MAYBE arnason.

daze is out for an undetermined amount of time as well. without ruutu & daze, they really have no scoring power outside of the rookie phenom vorobiev & MAYBE arnason.

Eric Daze is paid not by Bill Wirtz, but by the Tribune, as someone to make Kerry Wood look less chronically injured. I'm certain.

Bruins lose 4-3 in OT, despite having a 3-1 lead with around five minutes left in the game. Hooray AHL defense!

If MOC doesn't make a move to shore up the defense, they should just fire his ass immediately. I don't care what forwards they have to trade (other than Thornton, Bergeron or Murray) ... make a farking trade, man. It's blatantly obvious that this defense is NOT NHL-caliber, and that they will not be able to win close games until they pick up at least one more top 2 or 3 d-man. At this point, Boynton's the only healthy D that I have any faith in at all.

Hurricanes make it eight straight victories with a 5-3 victory over Buffalo. Erik Cole has two penalty shots in the same period, something that hasn't happened in the NHL since the mid-'80s.

I'm going to steal a Simmons line here, but I don't think MOC has a phone in his office. If he did, maybe he'd be acquiring warm bodies to put on the blueline. Someone like Brad Bombardir (currently AHL-ing for some reason). He has NHL experience in a defensive system and understands the meaning of DEFENSE.

This AHL defense is going to dig a hole that they can't climb out of. Granted that Ottawa is probably the best all-around team in the NHL right now, but still. I can't understand how they can continue to look at this team and not see the fucking problem.

The offense has looked steady. Not earth-shatteringly consistant or a constant threat to score (like Ottawa, for instance) but when that top line can get something going, they're usually good for a few goals a game.

The goaltending hasn't been terrible. Toivonen has been admirable and hasn't really lost games as much as the defense has blown them. He still needs work, but he's going to be very good.

The defense though...good lord. Gill is Gill. I don't have the time to go off on him right now. I'll just say that watching him play is like working with that guy in your line of employment who thinks he's capable of anything. Hal Gill needs to have a fucking rope tied around his waist and be attached to his end of the ice until he gets the idea that he's not an offensive defenseman. Sorry Hal. Your advantage is that you're a huge oaf of a man with a long reach. Therefore, Gill would theoretically excel in the defensive zone, but he thinks that he's capable of skating with the best in the NHL so he's routinely turned into a 6'7" statue with a black and gold sweater on.

Jurcina, Alberts and Dallman have been bad, but not too offensive (no pun intended). They understand the game, but Jurcina takes stupid penalties and looks surprised when he gets called for them. Alberts and Dallman try really hard, but it's trial by fire for them. Boynton seems to be still getting back into playing shape.

The Flames with their best effort yet, a 4-3 road win over Phoenix.

The game was nowhere near as close as the score indicates. Cujo did very well, posting 39 saves; a lot of them were quality chances, and the Flames could've potted 7 or 8 easily if it weren't for him. At the other end, Phil Sauvé was okay, as two of the Coyotes' goals were total flukes. Kiprusoff would have probably allowed one of the three goals.

All in all, a wonderful effort tonight, and let's hope that the Flames can keep it going on Saturday.

Guest cosbywasmurdered
DAMN did Crosby play well tonight. Pens beat the Habs in a shootout, with Crosby nailing it home as the last shooter.

That was great. The suspense was terrific and the crowd went nuts.

If it wasn't Thiabult playing on his head, Montreal should have won, mind you I wasn't surprised how poorly the Habs defence was last night.