TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cawthon777

Just Watched the Bret Hart DVD

A few notes:

The main feature comes in at just over 2 hours. Guys who participated include Bret, Vince, JR, Christian, Road Warrior Animal, Roddy Piper, Bruce Prichard, Steve Austin, Jimmy Hart, Gene Okerlund, Eric Bischoff, and Chris Benoit.

Vince gives a introduction to the feature, thanking Bret for putting all the differences aside and agreeing to participate. Bret gives an intro to the extras, saying he personally picked them.

The feature covers Bret's life very well, from birth to the present day. A good chunk of Stampede footage is included and highlights matches against Dynamite Kid, the Stomper, Leo Burke, Bad News Allen, and Nick Bockwinkel.

He doesn't say anything negative about Flair. In fact he puts him over ... but does say Flair pulled a few things in their world title match that he didn't expect.

He calls Shawn a bastard but puts him over athletically.

Puts over Austin huge.

The Hart Foundation angle from 97 is covered pretty well. The tag team itself is put over as one of the top teams of all time by those speaking.

The first disc features several interview clips of Bret that weren't used in the main feature. These include Bret telling a story about Owen prank calling Stu, talking about Konnan teaching him how to do the Sharpshooter, talking about the death of his brother Dean and how Ted Dibiase let him put on a strong showing at Survivor Series 90, and several others.

The most moving is a tribute to the many stars that have died in recent years - from Owen and Pillman to Hawk, Yoko, Perfect, Rude, Bossman, etc. Bret gets pretty emotional during the segment and says Rude will always be a hero to him but doesn't elaborate.

Here are the matches featured with details. A few interesting notes when it comes to commentary:

The Bret Hart Story: The Best There Is, Was, and Ever Will Be (11/15/05)

- Davey Boy Smith & the Dynamite Kid fought Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart (w/ Jimmy Hart) to a curfew draw at 13:12 (7/13/85; Madison Square Garden)

- Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart (w/ Jimmy Hart) fought B. Brian Blair & Jim Brunzell to a time-limit draw at 18:48 as Brunzell covered Hart following a dropkick (2/17/86; Madison Square Garden)

- Ricky Steamboat pinned Bret Hart (w/ Jimmy Hart) at 15:08 when the momentum of a crossbody by Hart put Steamboat on top; during the bout, Jimmy Hart briefly joined the commentary team at ringside (3/8/86; Boston Garden)

- Bret Hart fought Ted Dibiase (w/ Virgil) to a double count-out at 15:59 when both men began brawling on the floor; the original commentary was edited out of the match (3/8/89; Odessa, TX)

- Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart fought Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty to a double disqualification at around 9:30 when Demolition, who came ringside mid-way through the contest, interfered and all six men began brawling until they were pulled apart by officials; Jesse Ventura's original commentary was edited out of the match (4/23/90; Austin, TX)

- The Nasty Boys (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart to win the titles at 12:10 when Knobs pinned Neidhart after Sags hit Neidhart with Jimmy Hart's motorcyle helmet behind the referee's back, moments after the champions executed the Hart Attack (WrestleMania VII - 3/24/91; Los Angeles Sports Arena)

- Bret Hart defeated WWF IC Champion Mr. Perfect (w/ the Coach) at 18:02 via submission with the Sharpshooter to win the title; during the bout, Stu, Helen, and Bruce Hart were seen in the audience; after the contest, Bret hugged his parents at ringside (Summer Slam 91 - 8/26/91; Madison Square Garden)

- Davey Boy Smith pinned WWF IC Champion Bret Hart to win the title by blocking a sunset flip attempt at 25:11; after the match, the two along with Diana Hart Smith celebrated in the ring; voted Pro Wrestling Illustrated's Match of the Year (Summer Slam 92 - 8/29/92; Wembley Stadium)

- Bret Hart pinned Bam Bam Bigelow with a victory roll at 11:56 after kicking Bigelow in the face as he charged the corner; the original Spanish commentary was used for the match (4/24/93; Barcelona, Spain)

- KOTR Semi-Finals: Bret Hart pinned Mr. Perfect at 18:55 by reversing a small package; after the bout, Perfect reentered the ring to shake Hart's hand (King of the Ring 93 - 6/13/93; Dayton, OH)

- Owen Hart pinned Bret Hart by blocking an attempted victory roll at 20:21 (WrestleMania X - 3/20/94; Madison Square Garden)

- WWF World Champion Bret Hart pinned Owen Hart at around the 15-minute mark after Davey Boy Smith caused the challenger to crotch himself on the top rope; Smith came ringside mid-way through the bout moments after Jim Neidhart did the same; this was deemed Owen's last shot at the title (9/28/94; White Plains, NY)

- Bret Hart pinned Hakushi (w/ Shinja) at 14:41 with a reverse roll up out of a waist lock (In Your House #1 - 5/14/95; Syracuse, NY)

- Bret Hart pinned WWF World Champion Diesel in a No DQ, No Count-Out, No Time Limit match to win the title at 24:51 with an inside cradle as the champion attempted the powerbomb; moments earlier, Diesel sent the challenger from the ring apron into the Spanish commentary table, breaking it in half; after the match, Diesel knocked down referee Earl Hebner and hit the powerbomb on Hart; moments later, Diesel struck a number of officials and hit a second powerbomb on the new champion; before leaving the ring, the former champion could be heard saying, "I'm back!"; due to pre-match stipulations, Hart would defend the title the following month against Davey Boy Smith at In Your House (Survivor Series 95 - 11/19/95; Landover, MD)

- WWF World Champion Bret Hart pinned Davey Boy Smith (w/ Jim Cornette & Diana Hart Smith) at 21:09 with an Oklahoma side roll after kicking the challenger in the face as he ran towards the corner (In Your House #5 - 12/17/95; Hershey, PA)

- Bret Hart defeated Steve Austin in a submission match at 22:03 when guest referee Ken Shamrock stopped the match after Austin passed out while in the Sharpshooter after being hit in the head with the timekeeper's bell; after the match, Shamrock held Hart off from further attacking Austin; moments thereafter, Austin hit the Stunner on an offical who attempted to help him to his feet and walked backstage under his own power; voted Pro Wrestling Illustrated's Match of the Year and named Wrestling Observer's Match of the Year as well (WrestleMania 13 - 3/23/97; Chicago, IL; Rosemont Horizon)

- WWF World Champion Bret Hart defeated the Undertaker via disqualification at 28:35 when the challenger failed to stop beating on Hart after the champion became entangled in the ropes head-first (One Night Only - 9/20/97; Birmingham, England)

- Bret Hart defeated WCW TV Champion Chris Benoit via submission with the Sharpshooter in a non-title match at around the 32-minute mark; Harley Race was the guest ring announcer for the contest; both men dedicated the match to the memory of Owen Hart, who died in the same arena less than 5 months earlier; prior to the match beginning, Benoit came to the ring wearing a shirt featuring Owen; after the bout, Hart and Benoit embraced out of respect and left the ring together (WCW Monday Nitro - 10/4/99; Kansas City, MO; Kemper Arena)

...and how Ted Dibiase let him put on a strong showing at Survivor Series 90...

I'm glad that is at least mentioned. It's one of my all time favorite Bret moments, and without a doubt one of my favorite moments from any Survivor Series PPV. That entire match was something to watch, starting with the debut of Taker all the way to the mini Dibiase/Hart match to finish things off.

Classic stuff there.

- Bret Hart pinned WWF World Champion Diesel in a No DQ, No Count-Out, No Time Limit match to win the title at 24:51 with an inside cradle as the champion attempted the powerbomb; moments earlier, Diesel sent the challenger from the ring apron into the Spanish commentary table, breaking it in half; after the match, Diesel knocked down referee Earl Hebner and hit the powerbomb on Hart; moments later, Diesel struck a number of officials and hit a second powerbomb on the new champion; before leaving the ring, the former champion could be heard saying, "I'm back!"; due to pre-match stipulations, Hart would defend the title the following month against Davey Boy Smith at In Your House (Survivor Series 95 - 11/19/95; Landover, MD)

Easily one of my most favourite finishes to a match, ever. Also the first PPV I ever ordered instead of waiting for a video to come out.

Yep, it was from Vol. 3.

Still don't know why the commentary was edited out of Bret / Dibiase. I think it was Schiavone and Hayes and they both appear in other matches.

Thought it was pretty interesting they left the Spanish commentary intact for Bret / Bigelow. It's the same match from Global Warfare, which I think had JR, Savage, and Heenan on commentary.

As far as the DVD itself, I think you'll learn a lot even if you're a longtime Hart fan.

One of the more interesting points was Bret never would have guessed in a million years he would have gotten over as a world champion. It wasn't until the time of WrestleMania 9 that he considered himself worthy of the role and thought it was a major injustice that Hogan took the belt at the end of the show.

George Scott pushed for Bret to be a cowboy character in the WWF, as he was in Japan, and come out on a white horse. Neidhart made fun of the idea so much that Bret had to go up to George and say he couldn't do it but wanted to try a tag team with Neidhart and Jimmy Hart. George put the three together as a favor, never intending it to take off.

Was able to find one easter egg by accident but haven't been able to get to it since.

On the 7/85 MSG match with the Bulldogs, I was at the end of the segment trying to rewind to where the bell rings. For some reason, my screen froze on the last frame (Neidhart's back) and when I pushed play, I could hear Dynamite Kid cut a promo on teaming with the Kiwis to face the Hart Brothers.

So either my DVD was acting up or it's a hidden audio clip.

Oh and btw, Piper says Bret ended his 17.5 year undefeated run :)

...and how Ted Dibiase let him put on a strong showing at Survivor Series 90...

I'm glad that is at least mentioned. It's one of my all time favorite Bret moments, and without a doubt one of my favorite moments from any Survivor Series PPV. That entire match was something to watch, starting with the debut of Taker all the way to the mini Dibiase/Hart match to finish things off.

Classic stuff there.

Really? I've never seen that match. *makes note to watch on 24/7 Online as soon as possible*

Also, is there commentary on any of the matches? If so, which ones?

The original commentary is there for all the matches except those I already noted.

Bret vs. Bam Bam has the Spanish commentary instead of what was used on Global Warfare

Bret vs. Dibiase has no commentary

Harts vs. Rockers has Jesse edited out

No luck finding this in 4 Wal-Marts in CT yet.

Found Hart Foundation Classic Figures 3 pack though.

But couldnt justify $30 on it.

Disagreed about the overrated analysis. The match played up to each guy's strengthes (Shawn being a pinball and Taker beating people up). It was so Shawn couldn't escape from him, which negated Shawn from using DX, which had been his stradegy as a heel up until that point. It totally made sense that the match was one sided.

I admittingly haven't seen the ONO match lately, but I don't remember really being blown out of the water by it. Maybe I'll give it a second viewing tonight...I'm positive I have the tape somewhere.

Agreed. Shawn getting murdered for half an hour has people wearing the rose-tinted glasses when it comes to this match. It's a fun exhibition, but their match the previous month wasn't so lopsided.

Pretty sure this is the same version that's on the Benoit DVD. Benoit's WWE music is used and Bret's is altered as well.

I'm watching it now. If it is the full match, and I don't think it is, I'll post later.

Then that makes me wonder how many f'd up WCW matches they have in their library 'cause who knows what those people were doing with their own library prior to the sale...but that's cool you got to see the DVD my man...can't wait for this DVD to fall into my hands cause I'm still a huge Bret mark...this may overtake ECW ONS as the DVD I watch once a month....

Guest Ransome
Oh and btw, Piper says Bret ended his 17.5 year undefeated run  :)

Can anyone elaborate on this? I know Piper supposedly never got pinned in his WWF run until Wrestlemania 8, but surely he had plenty of pinfall/submission losses from 1975-1992 ?

Either Piper has a bad memory or he loves to kayfabe (probably both).

Adonis pinned him, Rude did, Snuka did, Flair did, Bret did, I'm sure Andre did. And that's just the WWF run.

I never get why people say HBK v. Taker is so one-sided, because it's not. The first time I watched it, I was actually surprised at how much HBK controlled. I guess it got too much hype as a Taker squash for me.