TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Stanley

ESPN Radio Host makes comments on passing

Cowherd won't get in trouble for this. I think the only thing a radio personality can do to get in trouble these days is say something that is racist. Seriously, it seems like anything else goes. Also, as the host if he really does catch shit for this, he can pull the revisionist history and re-state what he said to offend less. By all means send complaints if you want, but he isn't going to get in trouble.

No big whoop. The guy is merely an asshole no one seems to have heard of trying to make a name for himself and profit at the expense of others. The more attention he gets, the more he'll feel justified, and he and his bosses will probably laugh off whatever response they do get, especially when for every well written e-mail, there'll be ten more just begging to be made fun of. You know we mean nothing to them, they won't take much of a hit, so why bother if it'll accomplish nothing more than give these pretentious jackasses a chuckle and a reason to keep doing what they do. There's always two or three people who pop up in times like this. The best you can do is totally ignore them.

The following has been added to Lords of Pain:

Tim Chandler sent in the following update to me concerning your phonecalls to ESPN in regards to the rude remarks ESPN radio host Colin Cowherd made earlier today about Eddie Guerrero. Tim tells me that ESPN headquarters has been getting "thousands upon thousands" of phone calls from angry wrestling fans. The calls have been coming in by the droves that ESPN can't handle them all and they've had people come in from other departments to help take them. Tim says that the switchboard operater has NEVER seen such an incredible backlash or response than the one they have had in the last hour or so. It looks like ESPN is going to take some serious action against Colin Cowherd due to the phone number I posted earlier today. Then subsquently, wrestling fans like you called in to voice your complaints to ESPN.

Anyways, here is the e-mail Tim Chandler just sent me as he details the raucous going on in Bristol...

Hi, my name is Tim Chandler. LONG-TIME LOP fan. In response to the news about Cowherd and ESPN. I called the customer service number. The main switchboard put me thru, but they have set up a voicemail because there are TOO MANY CALLS. I called back, talked to the switchboard operator. I questioned her at length. She told me that they have been getting THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of calls all day concerning Cowherd’s comments about Eddie Guerrero. She said they can’t handle all the calls so they have even brought people in from other departments to help field them and..calls have had to be re-routed all over the company. She said she has been there many years and has NEVER seen a backlash or response like this. The main message is, “Either remove Cowherd, or fans will be boycotting everything ESPN”. That’s the majority message she had been getting today. Your voice WILL be heard. Just wanted to keep everyone up to date. Thank you LOP!!

Guest Leelee

You're wasting your time by writing to him.

ESPN thinks of wrestling as a joke, and will giggle at whatever you send their way. And Cowherd's job is cause controversy, like every sports radio host.

Plus, Cowherd isn't a no-name. It's just that he's on from 10am-12pm, and most stations don't pick ESPN up at that time.

ESPN thinks of wrestling as a joke, and will giggle at whatever you send their way.  And Cowherd's job is cause controversy, like every sports radio host. 

Plus, Cowherd isn't a no-name.  It's just that he's on from 10am-12pm, and most stations don't pick ESPN up at that time.

Everyone please listen to this person. She knows what she's talking about.

Cowherd won't get in trouble for this. I think the only thing a radio personality can do to get in trouble these days is say something that is racist.

It's true. Ask the guy who said the Giants were composed of brain-dead Caribbeans hacking at slop.

Guest jumpingbombangel

For God's sake, the boy's name is COLIN COWHERD. He's a few consonants and vowels away from being both an asshole and a chickenshit all in the same name.

I think the douche realizes this and uses his shitty pseudonym for his shitty "looka me, I'm a dick" gimmick. Who takes people like this seriously? Whatever. Karma will rape him soon, and all will be well.

Whether or not anything comes from the phone calls and e-mails this guy and ESPN need to know that there are times when you just "don't go there" even if it's something as low as pro wrestling. It doesn't matter that he more than likely won't be forced to issue an apology or ESPN may not take any action - what matters is that there were a ton of calls and emails from people angry over this not newsworthy death that "nobody cared about". These smug arrogant sports reporters don't realize that this wasn't someone wrestling in gyms or someone that peaked twelve years ago and was currently down and out or struggling. This is someone who was main eventing Wrestlemanias and making Smackdown a top rated show among his latino and hispanic demographic up until this past Friday. If he wanted to make a statement on a possible steroid tie-in than that's fine. Speculation mind you but understandable given Eddie's age. Educate yourself and make a statement along the lines of Mark Madden who at least recognizes and knows the business for what it is. I doubt very much that Cowherd even looked at a picture of Eddie Guerrero, read his backstory or even knew the magnitude of his role in current programming before making such idiotic remarks.

Guest ChampKind

I live on the West Coast, so "The Herd" comes on at 7 a.m., drive-time out here. Personally I can't stand Cowherd and this just sounds like par for the course.

Something guys like him don't seem to realize is wrestling fans aren't all mullet-headed imbreds, nor are we all adolescent boys. He probably said this figuring he'd get a load of emails from Jed the Backwoods Hick that he could make fun of on the air. And the fact of the matter is, he might get a few of those.

But personally, I say this is just a slap in the face to wrestling fans, not to mention the Guerrero family, done solely for material by a pompous muckraker.

ESPN thinks of wrestling as a joke, and will giggle at whatever you send their way.  And Cowherd's job is cause controversy, like every sports radio host. 

Plus, Cowherd isn't a no-name.  It's just that he's on from 10am-12pm, and most stations don't pick ESPN up at that time.

10-1 actually. Some markets drop his last hour, which is usually the best.

Out of line comment from a guy who has made his niche taking a different view at things. I don't think he'll be fired, but certainly disciplined for what he said.

Guest goar

I live in the Portland/Vancouver area and Colin got his start here, so I've listened to him for a while. I usually like him, although his style takes some getting used to. But there's no defending what he said. Here's my letter:

Colin,

I've been listening to your show since you were here in Portland. I was happy to hear you were promoted to the "big leagues" and made the move to Bristol. You've made me laugh and raised an ire, things every good sports talk host should do.

However, the comments you made about the passing of Eddie Guerrero on Monday's show raised more than my ire. You offended me Colin, and you offended a dead man's legacy and family. Maybe you don't care about professional wrestling, that's OK, not many people in your industry do. But a man died. A good man that was beloved within his own industry, by the people who enjoyed his work, and, most importantly, his three little girls and wife. Do you think your kids would like to hear that your death meant nothing? Luckily the people that admire, respect, and love him have chance to pay tribute to him with two different two hour television shows this week. Monday Night RAW on USA and Friday Night Smackdown on UPN. As much as I've enjoyed your work in the past, I'd be shocked if your passing warrented two minutes of tribute on even your own network.

It may not be a shock that another professional wrestler died young. However, this is where today's baseball players are headed. When they start dying suddenly before age 45 will that be newsworthy? Perhaps you need to take the blinders off and realise this story is very relevant in today's era of congressional hearings and 10 game suspensions.

I will care when this piece of shit dies - I'll be glad. I hope it's slow and painful, and when it's over I hope he goes straight to Hell and gets raped in his fat little cunt for all eternity.

Petition to fire the scumbag. It's not likely to work, but you'll feel better after signing it. I promise.

Earlier today on ESPN Radio's "The Herd With Colin Cowherd", Colin Cowherd said some rude comments about Eddie Guerrero's passing. He accused Eddie and other wrestlers of steroid use. Cowherd said, "who cares that he died" and that Guerrero's death was not "newsworthy." He also started speculation on the "unknown causes" of his death. Cowherd has gotten tons and tons of hate messages for what he said. You can call ESPN's customer service line at 860-766-2000. Tell the person who answers you want to leave a message about Eddie Guerrero and they will transfer you to a line dedicated entirely to messages from people who disagreed with what Cowherd had to say. I think it speaks volumes that they've made a line entirely for Eddie-related messages. Hopefully this asshole gets fired from his job for what he said. ESPN has already been absolutely bombarded with e-mails and messages unlike never before. They had to disconnect their phone line for awhile today and their switchboard was having problems also due to the incredibly high amount of calls. However, the rumors that their customer service line is currently disconnected is false; I just called minutes ago and left a message. The number again is 860-766-2000. Also be sure to sign the Fire Colin Cowherd petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/firecc/petition.html

Do you think this prick will take any phone calls tomorrow from wrestling fans...I know that the calls are screened but damn if we all shouldn't try to get in...I'd like to get in a word on this piece of shit...

Guest MugumboMcgee

When I was listening to this Cowerd guy argue against a pro-wrestler's death being put in the newspaper I could understand his arguement, but his ignorant comments and blantant lack of respect for Eddie Guerrero is a disgrace.

"They aren't athletes"- Colin Cowerd talking about pro-wrestlers.

Mercifully Houston doesn't get this assbag (or if we do, I haven't found him). I too would like to know what happens to him. I would love to sit this man down and explain to him that despite his personal beliefs concerning pro wrestling, a human being with a family and friends passed away at a very young age. That is not cause for joy, mirth, or sarcasm. This is reprehensible behavior from a very small man, and I hope he is forced to pay a very stiff price so that he will remember that what you say and when you say it can have repercussions, something that far too many people in the media have seemingly forgotten.

I am glad to see that the fans were moved to defend Eddie's honor in his untimely and unfortunate demise and I hope that it does possibly cause some sort of consequences for Mr. Cowherd. Granted more than likely nothing will happen but give him more free albeit negative publicity. However for the fans who are out for blood also go to Disney's Corporate Relations site and contact the members of the Board of Directors, especially George W. Bodenheimer who is President and Chair of ESPN as well as Robert Iger who is the CEO of the Walt Disney Company. It probably won't even reach their desks but hey worth a shot. Bottom line the guy is as Robin Williams said about karaoke singers "an asshole with a microphone" and made a stupid and inappropriate comment.

Here's the thing about trying to get on the show. The host has the kill switch, therefore even if you made valid points he may just argue over you and then cut you off. The best bet would be to listen tomorrow and write down who is selling ad space during his show. Then flood them with complaints that they would sell ad time during his show. Once again in the grand scheme of things, nothing will happen, but if you feel compelled to do something go after the ad people.

Guest goar

You can listen to the whole thing on espnradio.com. It's about 2 hrs 04 min into the show and lasts maybe ten minutes. I don't really think its as bad as it was made out to be and his producer or whoever was in the studio with him actually argues pretty well in Eddie's defense. To sum up: Colin believes that since wrestling isn't really a sport and is more bad entertainment, Eddie's death doesn't belong in the sports page and therefore nowhere in the paper at all. The other guy argues that with at least five million people watching every week its news and should be somewhere in the newspaper, and just because Colin doesn't watch it or care about it, doesn't mean it isn't news. Cowherd says he thought the news was referring to Seattle Mariners closer Eddie Guardado, which the other guy argues is actually less of a story than Eddie Guerrero dying. He also talks about how his own death would warrant at least a blip on the radar, but Eddie's shouldn't. There is one mention of steriods which I believe was from a caller, not Colin himself, that led to his producer saying if doing steroids keeps you out of the sports page why do we report on baseball - or something to that extent. Really Cowherd comes off notsomuch as a douchebag but an uninformed elitist moron who hasn't heard about wrestling since Jimmy Snuka's prime. The one thing that may come off really callous was the statement "I don't care how he died, it isn't news."

Guest Amy Ace

This whole incident is truly outrageous, and I hope you all will join me in taking action against Mr.Cowherd. Here is a link to the thread I started about the petition to have him fired, please sign it. http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=75066

There are millions of wrestling fans in the world, and we can make a difference!

Also here's the contact for ESPN Radio, please call and e-mail them and make sure our voices are heard!

ESPN customer service number- 860-766-2000

ESPN Radios The Herd e-mail- [email protected]