TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

Xbox 360

Anyone messed about with the XNA kit?

I want to, but I don't want to pay for anything that I'm not sure what it is

I heard my friend Liam squeal like a pig when he found this out. He's basically the real life Eric Cartman.

Good news though.

I played an unbelievable amount of Gears of War this summer, the majority of it on co-op online. This is great news, and it did push me over the brink of buying this, on which I'd been teetering for a while.

It's free :)

I heard my friend Liam squeal like a pig when he found this out. He's basically the real life Eric Cartman.

Good news though.

I played an unbelievable amount of Gears of War this summer, the majority of it on co-op online. This is great news, and it did push me over the brink of buying this, on which I'd been teetering for a while.

Just makes me wonder how hectic its going to be. How many more mobs are going to be on the screen to balance out against 4 human controlled characters? Will there be plenty of split routes like on GoW? As that was a cool part of the game, you could both do the game and experience something different while still be playing together.

A software development kit for making Xbox and PC games. You shouldn't be able to make grand games, more along the lines of the ones you can find on Xbox Marketplace. I'm still reading and doing the tutorials, but it appears to be similar to dreamweaver in the sense of how its interface is. So you don't need to know every single last ounce of C coding to work it, as you can use drop down menus to do alot for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XNA

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/default.aspx

When did it become free? I thought it was a monthly fee?

Are you not thinking of xboxlive itself? I haven't been asked for any details that would suggest a charge for XNA - not even what my msn/xboxlive tag is.

Are you not thinking of xboxlive itself? I haven't been asked for any details that would suggest a charge for XNA - not even what my msn/xboxlive tag is.

I went to check the XNA thing but I can't find it at all on the Marketplace. Where is it?

Oh and there's a Blue Dragon demo, along with a Fable 2 diary. It's the 2nd video diary.

Well, i officially got the lights yesterday.

But then after some trying again later (starting the console with no game in then putting the game in afterwards) it worked. But who gives a shit, I am calling it in.

But then after some trying again later (starting the console with no game in then putting the game in afterwards) it worked. But who gives a shit, I am calling it in.

i do have a question to those who may have gotten the Red Ring of Death, did you buy your 360 recently like in the last 2-3 months or have you had it for at least a year

I got mine in September of last year.

i see, this is me but i think alot of the 360s sold between the launch up to i'd say late 2006 probably have a higher risk of Red Ring of Death then the ones shipped this year

I got mine of May 2006. It crashed in June of 2007.

and i'm noticing it seems people get the Red Rings after about a year or so, i just hope i dont get a crap 360, BTW to the ones whose 360s have crashed do you have the Pro or Core model or the Elite

I got mine today after beating Jessica on Hard in GH2. Probably didn't save it. *shakes fist*. At least I have my PS3 till I get mine back.

I bought my in Nov 06 and it crashed now in July 07.

Yikes, I'm getting nervous. I bought my 360 off a co-worker. If I ever get the red lights o' doom do you guys think I would be covered? I don't have the receipt and I don't know where he even got it. I hardly use it so I wouldn't be too mad, but it would still suck.

I bought mine in late Nov or early Dec. of 05 and it crapped out in June of 07. So it had a pretty nice run before dying out.

Isn't the warrenty three years now anyway? Or is that just if you bought one last year or something?

I just don't believe in having to buy extended warrenties. There is no reason electronics should crap out on you within the first three years with normal use.

These aren't normal pieces of electronics though Rip, they are basically computers. Anyone with any experience with computers knows that a power supply can fail in 6 months or a hard drive can die in 3.

Fortunately for computers you can either A) send the one part that is a problem in and get a warranted replacement or B) say fuck it, buy your part the next day and replace it yourself. With the 360, PS3 and Tivo (to a certain extent) it takes a bit more knowledge and such to make those repairs yourself. The PS3 though if the HD dies at least it is user replaceable.

These aren't normal pieces of electronics though Rip, they are basically computers. Anyone with any experience with computers knows that a power supply can fail in 6 months or a hard drive can die in 3.

Fortunately for computers you can either A) send the one part that is a problem in and get a warranted replacement or B) say fuck it, buy your part the next day and replace it yourself. With the 360, PS3 and Tivo (to a certain extent) it takes a bit more knowledge and such to make those repairs yourself. The PS3 though if the HD dies at least it is user replaceable.

I know that, but my point is that if you are going to sell gaming computers like these, you know full well that a one year warrenty is not sufficient. Especially not considering the cost and the inability for self repairs(for the most part)

When I mean I don't feel like I should have to pay for a extended warrenty, I mean that electronics of this nature should have a realistic warrenty included with them.

You can't get more than a 1 year out of some computer manufacturers without paying extra. And technically doing your own fix voids your warranty by opening the case.

Tivo only gives you like 90 days I think!

that's something i thought about if its basically a computer, isnt it susceptible to viruses

Pretty much, I remember a few months ago when the PSP was being targetted and ruined by the brick virus that totally rendered the PSP OS useless.

glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks that viruses may play a part in malfunctioning 360s, do people hack into other people's 360s

Uh, I don't think that would be the problem. Most of the RRoD are hardware related and usually related to how the heatsink is setup.

Uh, I don't think that would be the problem. Most of the RRoD are hardware related and usually related to how the heatsink is setup.

whats a heatsink