TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheex Incarnate

Most nonsensical debuts

In light of the funny "most nonsensical turns..." thread, I'll start one in a similar vein. What are the debuts that absolutely came of left field or just made no fuckin' sense?

One that stands out to me is when British Bulldog debuted in WCW shortly after Bret arrived. If memory serves me correctly, Steve McMichael was out babbling about the difference between "men and boys" and all of the sudden Bulldog traipses out for no reason. Mongo's reaction made less sense;

(paraphrased)

"Well, well, well. Speaking of which, it's Davey BOY Smith!"

Then Bulldog posed or something without really saying anything, and left. wtf?

-Cheex

Not really a debut, but a return...

I still don't get the Road Warriors coming back in 03 just to job to RVD and Kane in 5 minutes, then never be heard from until Animal showed up a a couple years later.

Seven. I think that's what he was named. They air these promos for months about the guy. Dustin comes down to the ring with this big elaborate entrance display...and then drops the gimmick in his first interview.

Glacier...WCW from like 95/96. They showed vignettes of this guy on every show for an entire summer...then just debuted him against a jobber on like the Sunday afternoon show.

The Maestro descending from the circle in *shudders* 1999 WCW has to take all the biscuits.

Not just because it was ludicrous, but the announcers didn't mention who or what it was and the whole character was ignored for months afterwards.

This could fit in the 'WTF' moments thread as well now I think of it - a man playing a piano descending from the ceiling during a Sid Vicious match. What?

Guest Duke_The_Dog
I believe Glacier's debut came against Big Bubba, who challenged him to a match on Nitro and was tired of the hype.

His debuet was aganist the gambler on the unday night show. Nitro may have just ignored that fact.

I think he just showed up one day with Gary Hart or Hiro Matsuda. He beat Ranger Ross at Clash 6.

I believe Glacier's debut came against Big Bubba, who challenged him to a match on Nitro and was tired of the hype.

His debuet was aganist the gambler on the unday night show. Nitro may have just ignored that fact.

The same thing happened w/ the Blue Bloods. On WCW Saturday Night, they were heavily hyping their 1st EVER match together on the heels of a bunch of skits where Regal tried to de-hillbillify Bobby Eaton. Unfortunately, they debuted that weekend on Worldwide, which just so happened to air that morning in my area.

Guest jm29195

Dustin Runnels in late 99 WCW, weeks of the 'Seven' character vignettes, and then he debuts with an elaborate entrance and immediately totally buries the character....

I always thought that character had potential, though, regardless of how silly/creepy it was. Kinda like Goldust on a whole new, controversial level.

I have to cast my vote for Gobbeldygooker. They have an EGG they show on TV for a long time and hype up what is going to be in it and then @ Survivor Series 1990 this....THING that looks like a turkey hops out and starts dancing with Mean Gene Okerlund? I watched that show last night and its absolutley embarassing to watch. Funny to see how the crowd craps all over it though but then again, what were people expecting? Sting or Ric Flair in the egg?

The same thing happened w/ the Blue Bloods. On WCW Saturday Night, they were heavily hyping their 1st EVER match together on the heels of a bunch of skits where Regal tried to de-hillbillify Bobby Eaton. Unfortunately, they debuted that weekend on Worldwide, which just so happened to air that morning in my area.

Yes Glacier debuted on WCW Pro on a Sunday Afternoon against a jobber (Gambler) It was not mentioned on Nitro the next day

Guest Overworked

how about Steve Williams 96 debut in WWF being a masked japanese wrestler for about two raws

how about Steve Williams 96 debut in WWF being a masked japanese wrestler for about two raws

I don't recall that. Anyone else?

Chris Jericho's WCW debut.

After coming in with the announcer's putting over his Japanese background and experience in some "hardcore" environments as a champion, he faces Alex Wright. Wright hits his head, and Jericho gets the match stopped.

Jericho then cuts the lamest promo ever about how he wants to win fair & square, and guys like him and Alex need to stick together to battle the nWo!

Gimme a break. Jericho's promo was boo'd heavily and he served as a mid-carder with a sub .500 record until January 1998.

Animal in the dying days of WCW. Someone was suppose to wrestle a mystery wrestler and it ended up being Animal. The last guy I would have predicted to be a singles wrestler in WCW.