TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bulwark

12/3 Ratings and a surprise at TP

Guest [censored]
Going head to head with Raw might draw in some of the 'man, Raw sucks, what else is on' audience. If it's advertised properly, of course. But HTQ is right, Vince'd pull every trick in the book to get rid of TNA.

I still think it's the touring idea.

This I agree with. I think the biggest risk would be that the WWE would simply open up the pocket book, pick and choose what they want and have a 6 man cruiser weight match to open show consisting of Styles, Daniels, Sabin etc. Styles may have turned down a developement deal but it would be much harder and much unlikely that him or anyone else would turn down a full time contract.

Hopefully the big news will simply be a move to something like wed/thur night at primetime for 2 hours.

I'm pretty sure TNA has most of their guys locked under contract for the time being so it's not like WWE could just open up their pocket book and just sign whoever.

Whatever it is, you have to give credit to Dixie Carter. I trust her business background enough to know this isn't some carny act move. TNA has done a great job in delivering on the past "big surprises", be it the SpikeTV announcment or the Christian situation.

Turning Point, under normal circumstances I would order because Joe Vs Styles is always a good thing, I was interested in seeing the barbed wire match and thought the rest of the card was rounded enough...but like most people have pointed out, TNA is wearing itself out with monthly PPV's and only 4-5 hours to build for it.

However this announcment from Dixie has me thinking of changing my mind because she doesn't have a history of not delivering on these type of things.

I don't think it's a new tv deal or touring announcment because she clearly stated it would affect the PPV and I don't think it's a big signing like Jericho or Lesnar.

Kudos to TNA.

Rudo, I think you're right. Time to form the Damn you Dixie club.

I still have no clue what it is but it has about 20 options running through my head what it could be and making me wonder if my fiancee will mind if I return her Christmas gift to order a wrestling ppv. I'm pretty sure she would but still.

I don't think it's a new tv deal or touring announcment because she clearly stated it would affect the PPV

I think this was Dixie misspeaking a lil' bit, because the TNA website says this in it's splash:

The face of TNA Wrestling changes forever in 2006! Find out how this Sunday at Turning Point!

That certainly leaves open the extra hour/new timeslot/touring. It should be interesting to see what it ends up being.

Guest Gary Busey

They are saying the face of TNA is changing. That wording makes me think it won't be something too interesting. Why the face of TNA and not TNA itself? "TNA Wrestling changes forever after this Sunday!" makes it sound like something huge. The way they say it makes me think it's a new logo, AJ's getting a haircut or something like that since he's always proclaimed as the face of TNA.

Guest karlitoapple

Meltzer's comments from today

"Regarding TNA's big secret, the idea that it will change the face of wrestling, if it's what I'm expecting, is way overblown. Personally, to me, signing Christian was a bigger deal in the long-run, although it's possible this would be slightly bigger short-term, but only slightly if at all."

Guest [censored]

ok so that seems to go in the direction of a new acquisition but someone who is perhaps past his prime or has even been retired but was a big name. someone who could possibly spike some short term interest but would not be able to be a major long term player.

like a terry funk perhaps?

anyone else out there fit that description?

or how about an MMA guy? I can't think of anyone else besides Ortiz who would be worth while and he's out.

Edited by [censored]

I don't see WWE making any drastic changes to kill TNA if they moved to Monday, so why does everyone figure it would be suicide? I'd expect them to at least keep the .8 for the first bit, and maybe grow in ratings after that.

UFC isn't even in the same field as WWE but Vince still tried to steal their lead announcer wheh they went head-to-head. If TNA went head-to-head with WWE, Vince would go all-out to kill them dead. That's why it would be suicide.

Exactly. When TNA starts doing at the very least 2s or 2.5s in the ratings, and they have a very strong PPV buy rate, then maybe it would be time for David to go up against Goliath. But definitely not now. I'm in total agreement with HTQ; Vince would stop at nothing to destroy TNA, including a shady deal to purchase them a la WCW. That would be the motivation he needs to make things better in the E, but he would go that extra mile to crush TNA under his heel, and then we're right back where we started: Total monopoly, complete and utter garbage passed off as wrestling or "sports entertainment", etc.

And yes, things could get a lot worse over at the E, as bad as they are at the moment. When there is no motivation, we get things like Katie Vick. Remember that.

I doesn't matter how they do in comparrison to the WWE. All that matters is if A) they can get higher ratings than they are now and B) can they get a higher than spike's current programming gets in that spot. Whether or not they beat the WWE or even come close is irrelevant to everyone but fans on message boards.

It matters a great deal, because TNA is still on shaky ground, financially. They're working their way out of it, but if they went up against the almighty E now, they would lose and lose badly. They are still getting off the ground and it would be a classic case of trying to do too much too soon. A Thursday night two hour time slot would be perfect and if that is indeed the move, they have taken a big step forward. I hope and pray if that is indeed the case, they can keep moving forward. ::crosses fingers::

Right now, TNA needs to draw in those fans (not smarks, mind you) who are sick of the E but aren't quite ready to make the switch or aren't convinced about TNA.

Meltzer's comments from today

"Regarding TNA's big secret, the idea that it will change the face of wrestling, if it's what I'm expecting, is way overblown. Personally, to me, signing Christian was a bigger deal in the long-run, although it's possible this would be slightly bigger short-term, but only slightly if at all."

I'll guess it's either Sting or Goldberg.

Goldberg Spear vs. Monty Pounce = slightly interesting

But Monty would have to go over.

Guest [censored]

Goldberg seems pretty focused on his TV and Movie career right now. Additionally I think he would qualify as a bigger acquisition than Christian so he doesn't seem to fit Meltzer's description

Guest [censored]
December 7th, 2005 19:42

WRESTLING LEGEND BOBBY “THE BRAIN” HEENAN RETURNS TO COLOR COMMENTARY THIS SUNDAY AT “TURNING POINT”

TNAwrestling.com has learned that wrestling legend Bobby “The Brain” Heenan will retun to color commentary this Sunday during “Turning Point” live and exclusively on Pay-Per-View!

“The Brain” will join Mike Tenay and Don West for commentary during the bout pitting Chris Sabin, Sonjay Dutt and Dale Torborg along with manager AJ Pierzysnki against The Diamonds In The Rough!

Everyone at TNA Wrestling is honored to have Heenan return to the broadcast table, and it will certainly be a treat for fans all over the world who tune in!

Speaking of AJ Pierzynski, you can catch the World Series star along with Dale Torborg tomorrow morning (Thursday) on ESPN 2’s “Cold Pizza” as they discuss the match this Sunday on Pay-Per-View!

I'm guessing this is the add on and the changing the face of TNA or wrestling was a major over statement.

' date='Dec 7 2005, 10:17 PM' post='2068818']

December 7th, 2005 19:42

WRESTLING LEGEND BOBBY “THE BRAIN” HEENAN RETURNS TO COLOR COMMENTARY THIS SUNDAY AT “TURNING POINT”

TNAwrestling.com has learned that wrestling legend Bobby “The Brain” Heenan will retun to color commentary this Sunday during “Turning Point” live and exclusively on Pay-Per-View!

“The Brain” will join Mike Tenay and Don West for commentary during the bout pitting Chris Sabin, Sonjay Dutt and Dale Torborg along with manager AJ Pierzysnki against The Diamonds In The Rough!

Everyone at TNA Wrestling is honored to have Heenan return to the broadcast table, and it will certainly be a treat for fans all over the world who tune in!

Speaking of AJ Pierzynski, you can catch the World Series star along with Dale Torborg tomorrow morning (Thursday) on ESPN 2’s “Cold Pizza” as they discuss the match this Sunday on Pay-Per-View!

I'm guessing this is the add on and the changing the face of TNA or wrestling was a major over statement.

That's not really much, we knew about this after the Impact taping.

Someone mentioned Bret Hart and I'm starting to think that is the big news possibly. They've been trying to get him in for months and the only thing previously stopping him was a loyalty of sorts to WWE in regards to the DVD release. Now that its out of the way, it's fair game for him to show up.

Just for the record, if it ever could happen, I think the thing that might get TNA really noticed would be if Bret led a Team Canada group comprised of Benoit, Christian, Jericho, and Storm.

Also, someone said TNA shouldnt try anything too risky such as competing with WWE until they are pulling strong buy rates and 2.5 ratings. I tend to disagree with that just because its going to be damn near impossible to regularly pull that kind of number on an 11pm Sat night slot. They have to start somewhere and ideally, having their big weekly show on the same night as competition will serve them better than just any other night - one, because your casual and hardcore fans alike will always be conditioned somewhat to Monday Nights being THE night to watch wrestling. Because of that same fact, as long as TNA could book strong characters and storylines, it would work out to the benefit of them in the long run, as sooner or later the success would hit, even if its not running neck and neck with Raw.

I guess look at it this way - WCW probably would have never hit the success they did if they never started Nitro up against Raw. If they would have stuck with their normal timeslots, or at very best, even had Nitro on a Thursday, I dont think we would have seen it draw the interest it did, moreless because of the competitive nature in theory turning up creative.

Guest jjis
Someone mentioned Bret Hart and I'm starting to think that is the big news possibly. They've been trying to get him in for months and the only thing previously stopping him was a loyalty of sorts to WWE in regards to the DVD release. Now that its out of the way, it's fair game for him to show up.

Just for the record, if it ever could happen, I think the thing that might get TNA really noticed would be if Bret led a Team Canada group comprised of Benoit, Christian, Jericho, and Storm.

Also, someone said TNA shouldnt try anything too risky such as competing with WWE until they are pulling strong buy rates and 2.5 ratings. I tend to disagree with that just because its going to be damn near impossible to regularly pull that kind of number on an 11pm Sat night slot. They have to start somewhere and ideally, having their big weekly show on the same night as competition will serve them better than just any other night - one, because your casual and hardcore fans alike will always be conditioned somewhat to Monday Nights being THE night to watch wrestling. Because of that same fact, as long as TNA could book strong characters and storylines, it would work out to the benefit of them in the long run, as sooner or later the success would hit, even if its not running neck and neck with Raw.

I guess look at it this way - WCW probably would have never hit the success they did if they never started Nitro up against Raw. If they would have stuck with their normal timeslots, or at very best, even had Nitro on a Thursday, I dont think we would have seen it draw the interest it did, moreless because of the competitive nature in theory turning up creative.

WCW had the starpower to go up against RAW, TNA does not have that.

Hasn't Bret said he doesn't want to do any manager/commisioner role in wrestling, he doesn't want to be rememberd that way?

Changing the face of TNA in 2006 makes it seem more business related, than a major star coming in. Touring, 2 hour show, different night.

Raven finds Bischoff in a trashcan.

No.

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan finds Bischoff in a trashcan.

Now that I think about it, I wish WWE would air that on an upcoming RAW pretty soon.

I don't think it's a new signing.

Why would they claim the change would occur in 2006 if it was? Wouldn't signing someone like BRET or whoever make an immediate impact?

My guess is that they'll announce a touring schedule and possible PPV dates in the Northeast and East Coast.

IF the announcement is for shows outside of Orlando and it's done in front of that crowd, they are going to shit on it because they are going to have their exclusivity taken from them.

Guest [censored]
IF the announcement is for shows outside of Orlando and it's done in front of that crowd, they are going to shit on it because they are going to have their exclusivity taken from them.

Interestingly enough outside of jarret it would be the only showing of heat from that crowd ever. Maybe they should have Joe or one of the other desired heels announce it and act all happy and excited when doing so.

WCW had the starpower to go up against RAW, TNA does not have that.

Hasn't Bret said he doesn't want to do any manager/commisioner role in wrestling, he doesn't want to be rememberd that way?

Changing the face of TNA in 2006 makes it seem more business related, than a major star coming in. Touring, 2 hour show, different night.

TNA is not even close to having the star power that WCW had when they stepped up against Vince. I think that goes without saying.

If the announcement is a better timeslot, along with a second hour, that's going to be huge. Maybe after a year of decent if not good ratings along with signing a major star or two (I pray Benoit signs after his E contract runs out, because that will ramp up TNA's competitive legitimacy big time), then they can take that next step.

Guest Edgehead

These are things I'm thinking of.

- Apparently Spike tv are planning a New Years Eve special with UFC and TNA resulting in the first wrestling match of 2006 in TNA.

- They have been trying to bring in Bret Hart

- Interest in Jericho and Lesnar

- Plans to tour in 2006

- Getting a primetime 2 hour slot each week. (I'd say tuesdays)

Damn it I just don't know what it is. Prepare to be disappointed.