TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bulwark

12/3 Ratings and a surprise at TP

Guest Leelee

Sting is 46.

I'm not seeing the point of this, because I don't see many new TNA fans just because Sting is there. He already looked quite out of shape in his previous TNA run. And I want to kill his promo style.

Nobody wants to see heroes past their prime make a fool of themselves on tv. It seems that TNA has a mindset that if they bring in some old farts that they can draw in some new fans....well the past is the past and nostalgia is a bitch smacking master that is hard to deny but its time to think of the future and move on.

Edited by razazteca

Guest [censored]

It all depends on what kind of shape he is in but this is probably an overall good move for TNA. Can't say as I'm excited though.

Nobody wants to see heroes past their prime make a fool of themselves on tv. It seems that TNA has a mindset that if they bring in some old farts that they can draw in some new fans....well the past is the past and nostalgia is a bitch smacking master that is hard to deny but its time to think of the future and move on.

The promotion of name veterans may be more Spike TV's mindset at this point. This deal (if true) should work out better than the Kevin Nash deal at least. I feel sorry for Christian Cage though, he'll have to be knocked down for awhile to make room.

It's because Jarrett has no clue on how to book new talent or develop it to the point of making it a star. He only really knows the old guard i.e. people who have worked for WCW or WWE. He has no clue on what to do with new guys. He also has too much on his plate. Last Impact (not the thursday show, the saturday one) in his interview segment he had a million things going on at once. He was A) dealing with Christian B) running down Rhino C) dealing and addressing the Jackie Gayda/Gail Kim situation, which he is in the middle of and D) explaining to AMW, who he leads, what exactly everything that was going on because, AMW follow him and he is their leader.

Why? Who knows. But that one segment told me everything I needed to know about Jeff Jarrett and that is this- Anything that has any kind of storyline deal or push behind it revolves around Jeff Jarrett because TNA is Jeff Jarrett and TNA is still a one man vanity promotion to get Jeff Jarrett over as the star that he is not.

There is so much potential in the current group of wrestlers in TNA I just don't see a need to bring in the "old guard" especially when you consider the time restraints of 1 hour a week of tv time. How can TNA develop the young stars, make the "old guard" secure about their spot, and promote a monthly PPV at the same time within a 4 hour time period. Its time for TNA to start thinking about making new stars that can draw instead of bringing in old friends who need a paycheck.

Guest [censored]
There is so much potential in the current group of wrestlers in TNA I just don't see a need to bring in the "old guard" especially when you consider the time restraints of 1 hour a week of tv time. How can TNA develop the young stars, make the "old guard" secure about their spot, and promote a monthly PPV at the same time within a 4 hour time period. Its time for TNA to start thinking about making new stars that can draw instead of bringing in old friends who need a paycheck.

I say let's give this a chance. Sting doesn't seem like he would be the type to be against putting over the younger stars and Dixie Carter made a big deal in her latest interview of wanting to sign wrestlers who can help push the stars they have now to a higher level. She was very clear about her priorities being with the people they currently have.

I'm hesitant was well but Sting is no Hogan or Savage in that I view him willing to do things that are good for the business. And he does have some name value without the overexposure of say a Nash. Hall etc.

I'm not saying it will work, only that there is a chance that the signing winds up being a good thing

My thing is, it helps no one if Sting only works with Jarrett, Jeff Hardy, Rhino, and other old guard types. With Sting being 46, I don't think he can hang with the X division guys and I know he isn't trying to wrestle Joe.

I'm not sure if Dixie knows what wrestlers are good for the company versus who Jeff Jarrett tells her is good for the company either.

I don't know if the world is ready for Sting vs Jarrett and Sting & Luger vs AMW or Sting & Luger & Bagwell vs Jarrett & AMW or Sting vs Zybrisco for the GM job.

Guest [censored]
My thing is, it helps no one if Sting only works with Jarrett, Jeff Hardy, Rhino, and other old guard types. With Sting being 46, I don't think he can hang with the X division guys and I know he isn't trying to wrestle Joe.

I'm not sure if Dixie knows what wrestlers are good for the company versus who Jeff Jarrett tells her is good for the company either.

I was thinking he would work with Monty Brown, Abyss and even Christian for starters. Also I think a Jarrett program wouldn't be bad as it could give him something to do away from the World Title that is still significant. I will agree that Jarrett feuding with Sting for the World title is not the direction I would take

Sting putting over Christian though? (even as a Face vs. Face competitive match it could show that Christian has heart/fire etc.) Sting putting over Monty Brown. Sting putting over Joe. And it'll draw some people to watch, who will like the product that they see and continue to watch.

I agree however, if he just goes up against jarrett and rhino and such, it's a huge waste of time. He needs to be there to work programs with the younger guys, apparently take them to their limit before putting them over. That's the only way it's successful.

Now I have a reason to watch TNA beyond ordering the monthly ppvs that look good on paper. Sting has stated in various interviews in the past he wants one meaty storyline if he was to return. After that he is willing to put over whatever new talent is asked to be put over. If this is true good signing for TNA.

Guest [censored]
Wasn't sting already in TNA? Why, then, would his returning be a really big deal? (as opposed to just a big deal).

I think in many ways the beginning of the spike TV show marks a sort of restart for TNA. Beyond that the return of Sting is still pretty noteworthy, especially considering he never chose to sign with the WWE.

Edited by [censored]

Here's another surprise spoiler from PWinsider for Turning Point. A pleasant one at that, at least for me.

Former WCW and WWE star Chris Kanyon is expected to debut as the mystery opponent Larry Zbyszko is bringing in to face Raven. It's unknown whether he's been signed to a deal or it's just a one-night thing. Who bettah?

Former WCW and WWE star Chris Kanyon is expected to debut as the mystery opponent Larry Zbyszko is bringing in to face Raven. It's unknown whether he's been signed to a deal or it's just a one-night thing. Who bettah?

For all their faults, at least TNA knows continuity better than WWE.

The Sting thing kinda annoyed me, but that news made up for it. Good job TNA, now make it more than a one shot deal.

Guest [censored]
The Sting thing kinda annoyed me, but that news made up for it. Good job TNA, now make it more than a one shot deal.

Oh man I hope so, so very much. He is just so awesome and you can do so many things with him. Singles, tag team, face, heel it's all there. could make for some exciting times.

It's because Jarrett has no clue on how to book new talent....blah blah blah

And since when is Jarrett booking? Is this 2004.

People really need to stop finding some sort of Jarrett connection in everything TNA does. When anything happens in TNA, it's to put over Jarrett, or it's because of Jarrett, or it's in spite of Jarrett's wishes. It's just moronic to continue blaming Jarrett for everything after he's removed from booking.

On topic, I'd like to see a Sting vs Raven feud.

Da Meltz on Da Surprise:

--The individual who is the big surprise who will turn around TNA (and boy is that overblown) is not at this point scheduled to appear on Sunday, but his identity will be revealed.

Da Meltz on Da Surprise:

--The individual who is the big surprise who will turn around TNA (and boy is that overblown) is not at this point scheduled to appear on Sunday, but his identity will be revealed.

That gays it up even more.

And since when is Jarrett booking? Is this 2004.

No, it's 2005. Jeff Jarrett is writing the shows. He has more power than at any other time in regards to the creative end of the shows. This has been reported in the Observer. And The Torch. And PWInsider. And Figure Four Weekly. And WrestlingReality with Dr. Mike Lano.

Since when? Last I heard it was commitee still. With D'Amore doing most of the writing, and that was mere months ago.

According to those newsletters and/or sites, Jarrett is in charge of the heavyweight angles. D'Amore has had his role scaled down a lot and is now into other ventures not involved in wrestling and D'Amore pretty much just deals with his own program as well as keeps Team Canada booked regularly on TV. Jeff pretty much writes the main event angles and the committee runs the rest.

All of this has just come about the last several weeks.

Sad to hear, So Jarrett books anything involving the title pretty much, the rest is handled by committee?

Well I guess that may explain the Monty tease, since it's something that makes sense, and actually has a little build to it. Make sense and build an angle, 2 things TNA hasn't done since Dusty left.

Jarrett isn't bad at booking...it's just that it involves him..which should never happen. Father or not, I don't think he or any wrestler should write and wrestle at the same time.

Meltzer's comments from today

"Regarding TNA's big secret, the idea that it will change the face of wrestling, if it's what I'm expecting, is way overblown. Personally, to me, signing Christian was a bigger deal in the long-run, although it's possible this would be slightly bigger short-term, but only slightly if at all."

I'll guess it's either Sting or Goldberg.

I win the thread!

For all their faults, at least TNA knows continuity better than WWE.

Jim Mitchell + Mortis + Abyss = greatness

Since when? Last I heard it was commitee still. With D'Amore doing most of the writing, and that was mere months ago.

To add to what everyone had also said, their CEO Frank Dickerson is out of the company supposedly after a power struggle with Jarrett, which now Jarrett has apparently won. VERY sad to say but it looks like Jarrett has gotten the power back. Not particularly looking forward to the future lately with this company.

With that said, if this "big name" news is true, its a decent pickup and it could be a strong move as long as its done right. Which is hopeful at best at this point! I can't see anything beyond Sting-Jarrett though (which is a mistake) with Sting probably getting a title run ASAP (I wouldnt even doubt a title switch on the New Years at Midnight show - this ties into the 2006 verbage) which, of course, shit-cans Christians and/or Monte Browns potential title runs soon unfortunately. The only good out of this is that Jarrett will likely job the belt out relatively quickly in hopes of a long term Sting title run getting over with the masses. This was the initial plan of action for TNA to impliment back when Randy Savage appeared. Sting was supposed to be their surprise guy to show up at their first 3 hour ppv last Nov and then soon after lead to a Sting-Jarrett match with Sting going over.