TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

Is WWE going to get any better?

So I watched Raw for the first time in forever on Monday night.

The first thing I see is Vince talking to some chick and she is having some sort of orgasm or whatever. And I was thinking how much this sucks and that I was seeing the same shit 3 years ago.

Are they ever going to get their shit together? Or am I going to have to wait another 10 years for the next boom period to come about?

Just out of curiosity, what made you want to turn on RAW for the first time in 3 years?

I left the house during RAW to go to Wal-Mart. As I sat in the car, I thought about how even 2 or 3 years ago, I would have never missed RAW for anything because it's been such a habit for me since 1991.

Nowadays, the product is so bad I generally don't give a fuck if I miss anything anymore.

So I watched Raw for the first time in forever on Monday night.

The first thing I see is Vince talking to some chick and she is having some sort of orgasm or whatever. And I was thinking how much this sucks and that I was seeing the same shit 3 years ago.

Are they ever going to get their shit together? Or am I going to have to wait another 10 years for the next boom period to come about?

The really sad thing is that this is actually an improvement of sorts in the recent history of the WWE, since 2001-2003 was a three year suckfest with only rare moments of brilliances that outright killed the company creatively.....

I don't think I'll ever watch a full episode of RAW until it can be proven that they're going to do something with Benjamin.

Henceforth I don't see myself ever watching a full episode of RAW.

Just out of curiosity, what made you want to turn on RAW for the first time in 3 years?

I was flipping through the channels and it came on.

So I guess I started watching it by mistake.

Guest Leelee

I think it will. But, by then, it will be too late... as the only time the fans will truly be listened to is when everyone realizes the downward spiral is in effect.

Oh, blah...

Maybe the WWE will never get any better for YOU, but if history teaches us anything, it's that the company definitely will rebound. WWE always does.

There was a boom in the mid '80s. There was a boom in the late '90s. There will be another. Now why exactly they can't sustain the things they do in these booms into making a quality product all the time is anyone's guess, but just when you figure they're F'd, they always stumble into something.

For every jaded smark who has watched for years and gets burned out to the point of not wanting to watch anymore, there's a 10 year old just starting to watch the show who is also buying the Cena merchandise. Believe it or not, in 10 years, that same kid will be a bitter smark on the Internet who is dissatisfied with the current product and is longing for the days of when John Cena was doing his shtick in "the good old days."

The truth is, things haven't REALLY dropped off as much as you think. You can only watch this stuff for so long before you've pretty much seen it all. Sure the faces change, but eventually it boils down to the same basic concepts. You either accept the show for what it is and live with it or you get bored with it and move on to other stuff.

Or you become a smark on the Internet bitching about how things will never get better ever again like it was in the good old days when you started watching.

There was a boom in the mid '80s. There was a boom in the late '90s. There will be another. Now why exactly they can't sustain the things they do in these booms into making a quality product all the time is anyone's guess, but just when you figure they're F'd, they always stumble into something.

I always figured they just got lazy and complacent...

anyway, I think the past couple of Raws have been OK, not sure if it's a sign of things to come or not.

Edited by Black Lushus

Or you become a smark on the Internet bitching about how things will never get better ever again like it was in the good old days when you started watching.

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?act=Members

Seriously, if it's so bad, why waste time and effort talking about it, people?

Rarely does a WWE show go by where I don't find something that entertains me.

Oh, blah...

The truth is, things haven't REALLY dropped off as much as you think. You can only watch this stuff for so long before you've pretty much seen it all. Sure the faces change, but eventually it boils down to the same basic concepts. You either accept the show for what it is and live with it or you get bored with it and move on to other stuff.

Thank you

Now I actually have a way to explain it when aomebody asks me why I'm still into wrestling.

Oh, blah...

Maybe the WWE will never get any better for YOU, but if history teaches us anything, it's that the company definitely will rebound. WWE always does.

For every jaded smark who has watched for years and gets burned out to the point of not wanting to watch anymore, there's a 10 year old just starting to watch the show who is also buying the Cena merchandise. Believe it or not, in 10 years, that same kid will be a bitter smark on the Internet who is dissatisfied with the current product and is longing for the days of when John Cena was doing his shtick in "the good old days."

You know, how do we know there is going to another boom period?

Think about it, there might never be another one again. Just because it has happened 3 times (When TV first started in the 50's, 80's, 90's) doesn't mean it will happen again.

Guest bigm350

Oh, blah...

You know, how do we know there is going to another boom period?

Think about it, there might never be another one again. Just because it has happened 3 times (When TV first started in the 50's, 80's, 90's) doesn't mean it will happen again.

That's what I figure. I don't understand the logic that another boom period will be coming just because there were two boom periods awhile ago.

Have you ever looked at Donovan McNabb as a black quarterback? Ever?

who? me?

Not necessarily. Limbaugh was on the radio and after seeing the topic, I was reminded of that whole fiasco last year.

I would like to think that it will get better but right now it's hard to see light at the end of the tunnel. WWE hit on a winning formula during it's last boom period and seem to have trouble letting it go. It's been the same old crap for years now and it feels as if nothing changes. You have the same guys on top of the card, the same format for every show, McMahons all over TV and the same style of wrestling for every guy. The product has simply become stale. It's just awful. They need something to bomb totally before they will ever change.

For those who say that there will be another boom period, how do you know? Wrestling may never have another boom period. Just becuase they things have occured in the past does not mean that they will happen again.

I don't give a shit if I come across as a jaded smark. I complain becuase I'm a fan. I've spent money on the company, investing in the company becuase I'm a fan of wrestling. I want things to get better, I really do. But I won't stop complaining if I thing something sucks. As a paying customer I feel that I'm entitled to an opinion. I don't wish for the "good old days" becuase I find a better product to watch and I can relieve the "good old days" via videotape and DVD.

Do I think WWE was better years ago, sure, but wrestling as a whole keeps changing and I don't need WWE to be a wrestling fan.

"Always" rebounds? They rebounded ONCE, you dumbfuck. And a lil something called WCW and the NWO sorta helped get things going too.

"Always" rebounds? They rebounded ONCE, you dumbfuck. And a lil something called WCW and the NWO sorta helped get things going too.

TWICE!!!

Hogan did it the first time. Sort of.

I wouldn't call that a rebound, though. They weren't down. The expansion of the WWF in the '80s was something that had never been done. Quite honestly, not to take anything away from what Vince did in the '80s, but really anyone with the money could have done what Vince did then. Take your company nationwide, sign all the top wrestling stars from your competition, and use celebrities to make the crossover into pop culture. In the late '90s, it wasn't so easy, and I really give Vince credit for going with the right formula for the time period.

In my opinion, we're not going to see another WWE boom any time soon. By "boom", I don't just mean an increase; they could increase their ratings with better writing and wrestling, but since they apparently don't recognize the problems in that area, I don't anticipate those going up. But, it's really going to take not just a huge shift in the way wrestling is presented, but a huge shift in this country's pop culture for wrestling to be given another chance by the masses. Like, compare wrestling to the popular music of the time. In the late '90s, the WWF product was a perfect companion to the nu-metal music that was topping the charts at the time. Now, what's popular? All these neo-new wave and emo bands. Oh, I'd love to see how WWE could try to appeal to that demographic.

Edited by Sensei John Kreese

Guest Zarock

Well, the booms were basically because of individual workers, like Hogan, Flair, Austin etc., and not so much the writing or the booking, so I would say yes, WWE will probably experience another high time as soon as they find a guy the above mentioned.