TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TFP

Why X division is not good at all...

Would you mind reading my post before answering that please?

I said :

"BRET HART WAS NOT WORKING ON THE KNEES OF HIS OPPONENT EVERY MATCHES BEFORE THE SHARPSHOOTER"

I did not say "BRET HART WAS NEVER WORKING ON THE KNEES OF HIS OPPONENT BEFORE THE SHARPSHOOTER"

I am not sure but someone said that I have no reading comprehension...pretty weird...

Those two quotations are basically the same thing. The point is he was working on the legs/knees before applying the sharpshooter.

Though TFP has been outed as likely being a PBP, or just being that dense (personally, I think he just may be Banky using a wrestling fan gimmick) and stupid, I'll still reply. Why? Because I've got some points to make (some are re-echoing of mine and others points, and some are new), and I feel like talking wrestling tonight before I go out with my girl.

You never explain fully WHY it has to stand on a drama basis for apparently it to work

The "goal" in pro wrestling is to make the people interact in the match, the crowd is a kind of the "tag team partner" of the faces. Each time they are cheering the face who is down under the heel work, the face fight back , the heel cut off again so the crowd will cheer again and louder, if the face is a good seller, people will cheer louder!

And then the come back! People have cheered so loud that the face comes back and the crowd is just like it had won the match itself.

The matches have to stand on storylines and feuds to make the people scream more and more.

That is the drama basis.

Sorry but the fan who is looking a match without this basis won't be loud as much as he would in a drama basis match. That's why the x division will not make 30000 people stand up or sit down...

And the lucha libre in Mexico has a drama basis...sorry.

Really? The goal in pro wrestling is to make people interested in the match? Wow, no shit. Now which match is more interesting: Chris Masters vs. Carlito, or AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels? More fans will be in complete awe of Styles and Daniels than they will be for Carlito and Masters. And no, it's not just about making the fans want the faces to win: it's about making the fans want to see more of the product enough for whatever reason (compelling storylines, great promo's, T&A, ultraviolence, an excellent in-ring product, highspots, etc.) to fork over some of their money for it.

And no, the matches do NOT have to stand on storylines and feuds to make people scream loud. Not if the workers are that good. I've seen better live reactions in local indies (FYI, I'm from the American Northeast, and the fans up here, for the most part, are jaded and pretty damn smarky) to a new match between a rookie and an undercard heel than I've seen in the culmination to long-standing feuds. FYI, the match I'm using as an example is the first Joe Chece/Johnny Idol match from earlier this year (I want to say either March or April) in NECW, which got a better reaction than any other match on the card. But, of course, you'll doubt this, because no match could ever have such good work in it that the fans go berserk for it without a running storyline attached to it. </sarcasm>

REAL professional wrestling, as in the booked, "fake" kind we all love, died with the advent of wrestling characters. Pro wrestlers were men wearing trunks that traded headlocks, armbars, and a few forearms for anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes. To be honest, two men trading headlocks for 20 minutes is more realistic to a REAL FIGHT than a couple of guys punching each other and then nailing suplexes. Thus, your base of "WWE is more realistic" is thrown off.

When I say real, I mean that it must be close fom reality, it is more real to see a guy down after ten punches and 3 slams than a guy still flipping after 25 slams,25 kicks and 40 minutes of match, and that's why people will never be louder for x division than for wwe.

Depends on your perspective. Which match were people louder for (throughout): TLC II or 'Taker/Hogan from (IIRC) Judgment Day '02? The former was just a bunch of highspots loosely tied together with weak brawling, and the latter was a battle between two of the industry's biggest stars ever (one of the handful of times they'd wrestled, too). I'm not even going to answer my own question, because that should answer itself.

Also, if fans see a wrestler take a shitload of punishment and get back up only to do something insane off of the top rope, then wouldn't that be a better credit to the wrestlers than a few punches and a slam? Hell, you just talked about stressing drama, so which is more dramatic: Wrestler A and Wrestler B trading weak right hands and a few slams here and there for 20 minutes, or Wrestler A and Wrestler B hitting each other with every move they know for 20 minutes only to keep bouncing back?

Also, if WWE was more realistic...then why are TRAINED AMATEUR WRESTLERS, who have a vast knowledge of submission holds and pinning combinations that make most men cry, losing to STREETFIGHTERS (Angle/Cena, Benjamin/Carlito)? I mean, if it was realistic, it'd be more like a Shamrock/Tank fight from UFC, where Tank is all about punching, and Shamrock shoots in and owns his ass in quick fashion. Again, if WWE was more realistic, then why was a man with a 3rd-degree black belt in Judo losing to a 50-something retired wrestler (Tazz/Lawler)?

That's what makes pro wrestling interesting, even mysterio vs big show, in reality, mysterio would be killed by big show and everybody believes that...

...hold on. How do we KNOW this? I've seen my friend Kyle, no bigger than 5'6" and maybe 120 lbs. soaking wet after Thanksgiving, beat down my friend Wes, about 6'5" and prolly close to 250 lbs. after taking a huge dump, and my friend Adam, only an inch taller than Kyle and maybe a few pounds heavier, is one of the toughest people I know. So yeah...I guess somebody that's huge easily beating somebody small is realistic to you...if you've never been in an actual fight.

...but in pro wrestling, you never know, because it is a drama...In x division, all the guys have same size except joe, same style, there is no really interest for the crowd.They are just waiting for the moves.

I didn't know that the 5'7" Amazing Red was the same size as the 5'11" Christopher Daniels!!! And yes, the crowd is just waiting for the moves...and the building up of the highspots (notice how the X-Division workers that are constantly praised are the ones who start off with smaller spots first and use their biggest spots to end the match)...just like how the WWE crowd waits for the 619 and the West Coast Pop and the 'rana in a Mysterio match and doesn't care for much of anything else, and how the fans always yelled "WHAT?!" during Austin's promo's after the InVasion botch.

Like I've said a few times already, there's more psychology in your average "big" X-Division match (ie. one that involves Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, or Christopher Daniels) than in the entire WWE main event scene put together (Batista, JBL, Cena, Angle, HHH, HBK, Kane, Big Show). Styles sold more damage being done to him in the Ultimate X match at Destination X this past March (at least I do believe it was March, though that may have been Lockdown) than Angle has sold since the feud with Benoit ended in '03.

Do you use drugs?

Not really. I've toked up a handful of times in my life, kick back a few brews now and then, and chainsmoke, but other than that? Hardest I'll go is an Advil (except for the few times I've taken percs), but nothing that really fucks with my head, or my understanding of wrestling.

I repeat it to make you understand THERE IS NO PSYCHOLOGY IN X DIVISION!

Then you REALLY don't know what the hell psychology is. There's more to psychology than acting tired or just holding a body part after having it worked on for a few minutes. It's about your offense and how it's paced (the big stars of the X-Division pace it so that their offense flows, whereas the ones that don't are the ones jobbing constantly that nobody really cares about). It's about judging the crowd and timing every move just right to elicit the best crowd response possible. To say that there's no psychology in the X-Division because the workers get back up after big moves (and no, they don't just JUMP RIGHT BACK UP, at least no more than Shawn Michaels does) is, basically, an admission of ignorance.

Styles is one of the worst seller I have ever seen (in x division of course).

Iam sure you were kidding...that's fun!

Hahahahaha...no. And how is he one of the worst you've seen in the X-Division? Hrmmm...he focuses his offense on his opponent's upper body, which is where his finish (Styles Clash) focuses on...when he hits a HUGE SPOT or takes a BIG BUMP, he either gasps for breath or yells in pain while holding whatever body part he used to make impact...so, again: how is he one of the worst when he has better selling than half of the WWE roster?

See, selling is about more than going "hey, it's late in the match, I'll get tired here and there."

What the hell is that sentence??!! Are you kidding me? If everybody here believes that, I clearly see now why you disagree with me and why you love X Division!

Selling is one of the most important thing in pro wrestling!!It makes pro wrestling "real" and make x division fake. It is the basis of a good face character... Amazing...

Well, I think you've already been owned on this point...

You'll notice how Styles always makes it look as though he's forcing out moves later in a match from sheer will, oftentimes biting his lower lip and closing his eyes tightly, later in his matches. That's a form of selling. It's not body part specific, but it IS selling.

When you get 15 slams on you back + some submission moves, you can not do 450° or those kind of big flashy moves...It doesn't make any sense...

Really? Because wrestlers have broken bones mid-match and kept on working through it. It's called putting the workers over by being a testament to their strength and/or pain tolerance to take a big spot onto their back and then fly high. Yes, I think it's something that needs to be done less, and that the X-Division could use a big wopping dose of classic psychology (the only kind of psychology idiots like you are aware of, apparently), but I'm not going to nag on about how Sonjay Dutt just hit the Phoenix Splash after he'd had his leg worked on for a few minutes...regardless of the fact that he limps up to the top rope...holds his leg in pain...and jumps off with only one leg...

But it would make that much more sense if, say, the F-U focused on his opponent's head. It doesn't. It focuses on their back. So...why does all of his other moves focus on the head when his finisher hits the back? That's similar to how Angle doesn't work over his opponent's ankle before locking in the AnkleLock, or how HHH doesn't bother working over his opponent's arms for too long before looking for that Butterfly hold to set up the Pedigree.

You should ask steve austin if getting a "head bump" is good for your carreer...

I should. He probably would say no...unless it added to the drama of a match. He did not take a "head bump" in the sense that I'm talking about. I'm talking about protected head bumps. He was the victim of a botched move.

A finisher is a special move that should finish the match off, I mean if you do this move, at any time, it should be efficient, that is the ultimate card in your game.

That's fucking ridiculous. Are you telling me that I should be able to go up to somebody, slam them, and then they'll be down for the count after one move? Sorry, that's why the rest of the match is there: to wear down the person so that the finisher works. The finisher is NOT the move that should end the match at any given time (unless it's one of those classy "last resort" finishes that are becoming more popular in the States, much to my delight), it's the move that the worker feels most comfortable using to put his opponent away after he feels that he's worked them over enough.

I mean you don't need to work on any part of the body to use it in order to show the big difference between your trademarks and your finisher. If you have to work ten minutes on the knee to finally make your sharpshooter efficient, your finisher will look like shit.

Only if the person it's locked on doesn't tap right away...and only if you think the Sharpshooter, Boston Crab, Texas Cloverleaf, etc. affects THE KNEE and not the QUADRICEPS and LOWER BACK.

You see what I mean, that's a part of psychology. People have to say," oh man triple h have done the pedigree, it's finished" and not "work on his face to make your pedigree efficient!"

And people say that the Pedigree spells the end because HHH is smart enough to build up to it after doing the Flair-style of work: wear down the opponent overall so that the one move ends the match. I said it would be a nice touch if HHH were to work over an opponent's arm extensively so that there's no possible way they'd have enough strength to break free of the Butterfly hold (double-underhook) that starts the Pedigree off. Jamie Noble was a master at doing that to set up the TigerBomb.

I don't know if I am clear but your finisher needs to contrast with all your other moves.

No shit. It should also culminate the body of work done thus far in the match.

A lot of us have been watching since we were in diapers, and know more about the in's and out's of the sport (especially since a decent number of the posters of TSM do work for indy feds as either office, in-ring talent, or refereeing) than you could.

I am in this business and I have learned from guys who got 12 years experience in the ring and worked all over the world so I defenitly know more than guys who have just watch shows and dvds...sorry man!

Just like how Randy Orton knows more about psychology than Dave Meltzer...right?

Guest TFP
You say Hulk Hogan is a real pro wrestler, but I refuted that.

What do you like in pro wrestling?

I have been reading your comments, the clever ones, not those written by the little pussies who say that I am shit to make themselves look cool just because the most improved members don't agree with me ...

It is very clear that we defenitly don't have the same vision of pro wrestling, you love performers, you love the sport side of pro wrestling, you don't really like the show side of pro wrestling.

You prefer looking a aries vs styles than a michaels vs taker for example...

I totally disagree with that in the sense that to me pro wrestling is a show, a drama...

It's cool to see different point of view and for the interest of someone, I knew that I would draw the heat in writing this topic in the tna forum full of guys like you but I wanted to see what you got to say.

Two things :

Few of you love x division and have a reason for this, I mean they know pro wrestling and they have their own reasons to prefer x division than classic pro wrestling (wwe/nwa...).

And the large part of you are just what I described earlier, you love bumps, stunts and you probably have bought the backyard dvd and video games (to show how stupid you are...), you hate wwe because your family like it or because it is commercial and you hate to see young kids saying that they know prowrestling...

I wanted to make you understand that x division is stunt wrestling where moves and spots are more important than psychology and storytelling... I wanted to make you understand that shouting holy shit every 5 minutes is not really pro wrestling...

I recommend you to buy the secrets of the ring from raven, you will not say that he is an idiot or a troll because you are marks and you will hear exactly the same things I have written...

Guest Andrew J.

There are many different styles of pro wrestling, and I like them all. I like WWE and TNA and ROH. I like garbage brawling and technical submission and high-flying and strong style. It's all professional wrestling, and for you to say otherwise about any of them is the height of idiocy and arrogance.

Good DAY, sir!

There are many different styles of pro wrestling, and I like them all. I like WWE and TNA and ROH. I like garbage brawling and technical submission and high-flying and strong style. It's all professional wrestling, and for you to say otherwise about any of them is the height of idiocy and arrogance.

Good DAY, sir!

Amen to that. This is what this guy doesnt get - instead he wants to categorize all of us as blind marks of the X division when I dont think a single one of us has even stated such. Its absudity as it's finest.

Guest TFP

When I am reading that Hogan is not a pro wrestler, that daniels is better than angle, that Styles is a better seller than any wwe wrestler, that there is a more psychology in x division than in wwe...I can get some conclusions about this forum, can't I?

I don't like garbage wrestling, I don't like stunt wrestling, I like classic wrestling but with different wrestlers and different styles and character...that is a very big difference you can not see.

To all the "smart marks" insulting me and that thinking their opinions is better than other fans and who are frustrated not to be able to stand in a ring because their too fat or too skinny or just unable to do anything and who are dreaming to be a wrestler...I just would say that it is a pity isn't it?

I am a wrestler and you not... I know what is pro wrestling and you not...

Well you are just a load of s...

Guest Coffey

Where's bps21?

TFP, you have twenty-two posts. All of which are in the TNA folder. If you don't like the TNA product, then don't watch it. Certainly don't register for these forums just so you can post in this section and be the "odd man out." If you're a wrestler, that's great. Go eat some tuna, do some push-ups and stop wasting time on these forums with us so called "smart marks" that just sit in our parents basements typing on the internet. We're all wannabe wrestlers that don't know anything about the business anyway, so don't waste your time with us.

You complain about lack of selling, but seem to think that Hollywood "no sell everyone's finishers and Hulk Up every match does not = phsychology" Hogan is a good wrestler.

End discussion.

You are wrong.

HOLYSHITIT'SHHHHE'SHERE~~~!~~!~!1

When I am reading that Hogan is not a pro wrestler, that daniels is better than angle, that Styles is a better seller than any wwe wrestler, that there is a more psychology in x division than in wwe...I can get some conclusions about this forum, can't I?

I don't like garbage wrestling, I don't like stunt wrestling, I like classic wrestling but with different wrestlers and different styles and character...that is a very big difference you can not see.

To all the "smart marks" insulting me and that thinking their opinions is better than other fans and who are frustrated not to be able to stand in a ring because their too fat or too skinny or just unable to do anything and who are dreaming to be a wrestler...I just would say that it is a pity isn't it?

Ok one last time here and then I am done as you tend to go in circles with things and generally anyone coming across as a know-it-all (as you are clearly doing) doesnt deserve any further attention if you arent even going to be a part of thought provoking discussion and instead it's that "I am right and everyone else is wrong." What was your point to be here if this is all you are going to do and that is a rhetorical question. You consistently continue to not even ackowledge comments and points that are valid within the people who are posting here, its much like that you are responding at a selective basis.

Hogan, under your same context of what a "pro wrestler" is would not categorize him as such. Thats whats so annoying about this - you spout off about stuff, contradict yourself continuously on points, people call you out on it, you ignore them or make no sense in your response and then you go BACK to the same shit in a circle. It makes no sense.

Depending on the criteria, yes, Daniels is better than Angle. It's all dependant on the criteria and under your criteria of what makes a person "better" than another, Daniels would be better than Angle.

Styles sells better than any WWE wrestler? Not even sure who or when that was said.

Again, I'm missing where all of us have stated there is more psychology in the X division than WWE. YOU'RE the one saying there is NONE and doing the generalizing (thats been the whole problem here from the start - you came in acting like a know-it-all and immediately also throwing out personal attacks), so dont throw that on someone else here. You need to maybe re-read some posts on things as you clearly arent understanding, much less accepting any part of it might hold some validity than, any opposite opinion of your own, and - of course, your opinion is apparently supposed to be taken by all of us as fact - just because you are a worker? That makes no sense. Again, absudity as its finest.

If you want to just quickly draw conclusions on all of us, go ahead, but your narrow minded view of the business will not get you far, much less a token of respect or understanding here.

I think it's pretty funny that you are critisizing all of us for the same thing you are doing too - ie "thinking their opinions are better than other fans" - if you cant see the hypocrisy in that statement you made...well......WOW. I dont think many of us are actually dreaming to be in the business as a worker. So because we are not, that makes us envious of you huh? Give me a break.

We'd all respect your opinions much more if you 1) dont personally attack 2) draw conclusions and generalize so much 3) back up your arguments much stronger than you are doing.

Guest Andrew J.

They only said Hogan wasn't a wrestler based on your bullshit standards, some people DO like Daniels better, Styles is pretty damn good and there are X Divison matches with a lot of psychology. Disliking a style of wrestling does no give you the right to declare it not pro wqrestling at all. And you are an idiot with poor grammar and not enough balls to swear, you sanctimonious son of a bitch!

And let me tell you, you're gonna make a pretty shitty wrestler with that stubborn attitude. Hopefully, someday a veteran that's wrestled some of the styles you denigrate so much will fuck your dumb ass up.

You complain about lack of selling, but seem to think that Hollywood "no sell everyone's finishers and Hulk Up every match does not = phsychology" Hogan is a good wrestler.

End discussion.

You are wrong.

HOLYSHITIT'SHHHHE'SHERE~~~!~~!~!1

I don't know, sometimes it reads like a drunken ramble...maybe it's Flair!

If you know wrestling and know better than the rest of us then why did you post here you stupid fucking troll? If you don't want other people's opinion then don't post in a internet forum.

Guest TFP

Personnal attacks?

Who insulted me first? I hope you are kidding, don't tell me you are victims, that is b.s.

That's why the person I said they were frustrated are angrier now, because it's the truth!

Gneralization?

Yes, I can not take every case but I can make groups...what's the difference between sabin, styles, daniels, williams, skipper, aries, dutt? don't you think they look exactly the same? Don't you see there are no differences?

Arguments?

We should take every x division matches but those I saw was exactly built on the same basis, 2 or 4 wrestlers, they all come and there are no face and no heel (even petey williams with the Team Canada angle), they are doing their spots and moves, of course it's great but no interaction with the crowd, you are only hearing, let's go X, let's go Y or holy shit holy shit! Where is the psychology? The minimum number of moves is about 25 ( I don't count chain...) and the wrestlers are still fresh after this and still flipping around.

Concerning myself, I respect every wrestler but I don't respect so called "fans" and especially "smarts marks" who think they know pro wrestling just because they have seen shows and dvds... If a veteran learn me something, I would be very glad even if he had to kick my ass because I respect and I love the business...

I never said that TNA was shit, I just said that X Division was damaging pro wrestling.

I never said that the x division wrestlers were shit I said that with their talents they could bring pro wrestling to another level if they were used better by the bookers.

I only read, you are wrong and you take the others arguments for granted...because I disagree! when I read Hogan is shit I disagree!! That's the most stupid thing I have ever read!!!

So you think that Andre the giant, Savage, Flair,Hennig, Rick Rude, The warrior, The Undertaker and all the legends are shit??

Who is not respecting on this forum?

When I read there is psychology in X division, I disagree! But what few of you said about flair, the crowds and other things I said it was clever and I agree with this!

Just try to answer this question :

Why will we never forget Hogan, Austin and The Rock? It's very simple and the answer is the basis of pro wrestling...

what's the difference between sabin, styles, daniels, williams, skipper, aries, dutt? don't you think they look exactly the same? Don't you see there are no differences?

Sabin has long hair, Styles does not, Daniels is bald, Petey is Canadian, Elix is black, I forget what haircut Aries has and Dutt is Indian. Voila!

So you think that Andre the giant, Savage, Flair,Hennig, Rick Rude, The warrior, The Undertaker and all the legends are shit??

One of these people isn't the same, can you guess which one? If you think The Ultimate Warrior was ever a good wrestler then I'm afraid you automatically lose any arguement about professional wrestling that you're in.

Why will we never forget Hogan, Austin and The Rock? It's very simple and the answer is the basis of pro wrestling...

Charisma? Getting over with catchphrases? Endless streams of merchandise? Nostalgia comebacks when the WWE are desperate to sell tickets and/or PPVs? Being booked to their abilities?

I won't remember Hogan for psychology. No selling people's finishers is not good psychology and please, please don't try and convince us otherwise. By your standards, Hogan is no better than AJ Styles in terms of psychology.

I'm convinced TFP isn't a pro wrestler. He's a 10 year old boy typing on his mom's computer. He likes to argue with the people on the board because it excites him. I wouldn't be surprised if he spanked the monkey while doing so.

1. I didn't say AJ Styles sold better than ALL of WWE. I said he sold better, and had a better sense of psychology, than HALF of WWE (ie. their "homegrown" guys).

2. To say there is no psychology in the X-Division is to not know what psychology is. Plain and simple. If you knew what psychology was, and how it varies between the different styles of wrestling there are (punch/kick, hardcore, aerial, Strong-Style, technical, etc.), then you wouldn't be bringing it up so flagrantly.

3. If you're a pro wrestler...then what territory do you work? What's your ring name? Judging from the fact that you said you didn't speak English too good, and the way you type, I'm going to guess you're Hispanic in origin. Likely, you're from Puerto Rico. Well, guess what? Every single Puerto Rican wrestler I've ever seen has sucked balls save for one, and that one is a woman wrestler who is over because of how STIFF she is.

Guest TFP

World is larger than northern america and carribean area, I wrestle in a place where we know what is chain and technical wrestling, where we know that punches look faker than forearm, where our wristlock don't look shit. I wrestle in a place where we know what obviously you don't know anything...psychology!

I am not hispanic, try again...

I am not 10 years old, I am a bit older...

I want to stay anonymous but you got enough clues.

World is larger than northern america and carribean area, I wrestle in a place where we know what is chain and technical wrestling, where we know that punches look faker than forearm, where our wristlock don't look shit. I wrestle in a place where we know what obviously you don't know anything...psychology!

I am not hispanic, try again...

I am not 10 years old, I am a bit older...

I want to stay anonymous but you got enough clues.

Well, considering North America and Japan are THE places to wrestle, I had a good shot.

Hrmmm...where you know what is chain and technical wrestling...forearms > punches...wristlocks don't look like shit...only place I can think of would be the UK, but you don't speak English, so that's out. Perhaps Germany? Not France, because nobody from France can do anything but tap out...not Japan, because if you were from Japan you'd actually know that psychology varies between styles...

I give up. Speak English or die.

I'd guess Scandinavia somewhere. There's a fed somewhere and I'm thinking Iceland, but I may be wrong.

Every single Puerto Rican wrestler I've ever seen has sucked balls save for one, and that one is a woman wrestler who is over because of how STIFF she is.

Eddie Kingston says hello.

Every single Puerto Rican wrestler I've ever seen has sucked balls save for one, and that one is a woman wrestler who is over because of how STIFF she is.

Eddie Kingston says hello.

I reiterate: Every single Puerto Rican wrestler I've ever seen has sucked balls save for one, and that one is a woman wrestler who is over because of how STIFF she is.

Now...why I actually retyped all of that instead of copying and pasting it is beyond me.