TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Best twist/swerve in a video game?

Finding out Gas Snake was the President of the United States at the very end of MGS

Not being able to finish MGS2 with Solid Snake, that was bullshit!

I could deal with Raiden, even if I didn't like him very much, but that ending made very little sense. Also, it makes me wonder, is Snake like James Bond in that he doesn't really age? He's way too young looking in Metal gear Solid I and II to have been an agent in the 60s

Edited by Masked Man of Mystery

I could deal with Raiden, even if I didn't like him very much, but that ending made very little sense. Also, it makes me wonder, is Snake like James Bond in that he doesn't really age? He's way too young looking in Metal gear Solid I and II to have been an age in the 60s

Well Snake in MSG3 is Big Boss so its not the Snake we know. Solid Snake was born in 1972 IIRC.

The best way I understood the MSG2 ending (after trying to comprehend such a God damn confusing storyline with way too many twists and turns) is that the Patriots were 200 year ghosts living to cyberspace to trying to gain control over digital censorship.

Guest clockworkraven

Finding out Gas Snake was the President of the United States at the very end of MGS

Not being able to finish MGS2 with Solid Snake, that was bullshit!

I could deal with Raiden, even if I didn't like him very much, but that ending made very little sense. Also, it makes me wonder, is Snake like James Bond in that he doesn't really age? He's way too young looking in Metal gear Solid I and II to have been an age in the 60s

Don't worry, he's aging.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/img_3074907.html

That thing about MGS3 Snake being Big Boss has issues as well. I think I read somewhere that Big Boss fought in World War II, but maybe they're crossing Big Boss and the Boss. Also, this makes Snake coming out of retirement for MGS I seem odd, but at least it makes more sense now. Thanks

The best twist in a game was when I came from 3-0 down to beat the Cardinals as the Dodgers in MVP 2005.

In all seriousness, it's probably that Tidus is a dream or that Hojo is Sephiroth's father and Jenova is an alien and all that other weird shit in that game.

The Metal Gear Solid series pretty much trumps everybody else in this regard.

Playing through MGS2 as Raiden instead of Snake is easily one of the great "Whafuck!?" moments in gaming history, especially when you consider all of the Snake-centric previews and pre-release hype.

And yeah, MGS3 is full of swerves and turns: your real identity, Ocelot's employer (and parents), The Boss, reloading your save during the battle against The End, etc.

I tried my hardest to play through that game without looking at a strategy guide, but I had to look for that battle against The End.

FFX:

1. Tidus being a dream of the Fayth

2. Sin (most badass looking creature from any of the FF's) being Jecht

3. Auron being an unsent

FFVII:

1. You killed my strongest magic user you bastards!

2. Pretty much Cloud's entire backstory being fake

3. Hojo was Sephiroth's Father and Jenova was an Alien

MGS2

1. Only getting to play as Solid Snake for about 45 minutes

2. The Colonel and Raiden's girlfriend being in on the whole thing with the Sons of Liberty

The most favorable swerve has to be in Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Playing through the 3 palaces, and getting to Aganim (sp?), beating him, then finding out there is a whole other 7 or 8 palaces to explore in the dark world. I was about 10 years old when this game came out, so I had no clue about there being a Dark World (other than that few short minutes you spend there getting to the Palace on Death Mountain).

Final Fantasy IV: Giant of Babel/Bab'il

After you beat the CPU, Gobilez comes out ready to kick your ass for destroying the thing.FuSoYa then jumps at him, and forces him to wake up completely, where you find out that he's been controlled by Zemus from the beginning. But, the biggest swerve of all is when you find out....

He is also one KluYa's other children, which effectively makes him Cecil's Brother.

Edited by DragonLordKaiba

Everything in Phoenix Wright was basically a great swerve.

Is this game genuinely worth my $30? It looked cool, but as a novelty more than a stand-alone game.