TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Best twist/swerve in a video game?

Resident Evil when Wesker turned heel and blackmailed Barry. Didn't see that coming at all, though I was 12-13 at the time.

Final Fantasy VII when Hojo releaved he was Sepphiroth's father, also didn't see that one at all.

What about you?

Guest Vitamin X

In Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (the first one), where it turns out that you, in fact, are/were Darth Revan.

Quan Chi's ending in MK4 revealing that he had Shinnok's amulet the whole time, fooling Raiden, Sub-Zero, Shinnok and basically meaning the last half of MK Mythologies was a scam. Say what you will about the quality of those two games and the MK story but that was a great twist that made sense and set up the rest of the series.

System Shock 2: About halfway through the game, you finally get to see another living person aboard the ship. Except the lady who's been giving you instructions is already dead..it's the AI from the first game, SHODAN.

Quan Chi's ending in MK4 revealing that he had Shinnok's amulet the whole time, fooling Raiden, Sub-Zero, Shinnok and basically meaning the last half of MK Mythologies was a scam. Say what you will about the quality of those two games and the MK story but that was a great twist that made sense and set up the rest of the series.

As a follow up, when I played deadly alliance and found out that Liu Kang got killed in the intro, shocked the hell out of me.......then to find out that his soul went into Kano's body after you beat the game using Kano, made it all go away.

Liu Kang dying would have been a great shock if I hadn't known about it for such a long time before the game came out. They didn't even try to keep that a surprise.

And just about the most senseless death really, considering that both strategy guides indicated that you could raise Aeris up to level 4 Breakers, just like everyone else.

Guest Leelee

KOTOR:

You're Revan.

It came as a surprise to me, because it wasn't the surprise I was expecting.

It was so obvious to me that Bastila was gonna turn heel throughout the whole game, but wasn't the true BIG surprise.

Guest T®ITEC

KotOR:

Yeah, I was completely clueless about being Revan. Then they *have* to show you this long montage that makes you feel retarded for not figuring it out, esp. when Vrook pretty much comes out and says it to your face on Dantooine.

Guest Vitamin X

I knew there had to be a reason why that one Jedi Master was so reluctant in helping me out. Fucker.

It's probably not too surprising but I was upset when Big Smoke and Ryder turned on CJ in GTA: San Andreas.

GTA:SA ~ actually I didn't see that one coming... it sort of pissed me off too. Getting Ryder didn't irk me too much since he was an asshole and I wanted to kill him from the moment he said a word, but Big Smoke was a pretty cool guy IMO and really didn't deserve to die.

Also what surprised me was that Torino survived through the game. I figured he would have gotten on CJ's bad side somehow and he would have gotten a shell implanted into his brain.

Metroid Fusion. You know that the computer is receiving a second set of directives, and you can even infer that the Federation wants to study the X parasites, but

I was shocked when you stumble into the Metroid research facility. The whole time, the Federation is using you to save their work on the galaxy's most deadly lifeform, which you've been trying to exterminate all along.

Then the computer drops the "whoops, there's ten or so SA-Xs running around the station, you better split" bombshell on you. Just a messed-up little exchange.

It's probably not too surprising but I was upset when Big Smoke and Ryder turned on CJ in GTA: San Andreas.

GTA:SA ~ actually I didn't see that one coming... it sort of pissed me off too. Getting Ryder didn't irk me too much since he was an asshole and I wanted to kill him from the moment he said a word, but Big Smoke was a pretty cool guy IMO and really didn't deserve to die.

Also what surprised me was that Torino survived through the game. I figured he would have gotten on CJ's bad side somehow and he would have gotten a shell implanted into his brain.

I was just happy Woozie survived. I could imagine he and CJ splitting up the entire area and taking over.

Yeah, I was a little shocked in Chrono Trigger when the main hero actually dies. And the thing is you can finish the game without bringing him back.

Aries dying in FF7 caught me offguard as well, but when it happened I jumped up and shouted "OH FUCK YEAH!" It was such a great video game moment.

Yeah, San Andreas was a nice twist when Ryder and Big Smoke turned out to be the major players with the crack. I coulda' sworn there were brief little hints in Big Smoke's missions and conservations but I could be making that shit up looking back on it now.

Another favorite is in Starcraft where Kerrigan becomes infested.

Silent Hill II:

You euthanized your wife with a pillow years ago. And when you did it, it made you happy.

Final Fantasy VI.

Kefka kills the big bad emperor. Then fucks the world. And the supposed main character of the game? Yeah, you don't know where the fuck she is.

I agree on GTA SA. Ryder was iffy but Smoke was my boy I thought.

Also for me I was shocked in Goldeneye 007 when Trevelan turned out to be both still alive and working for the enemy. Of course I was shocked only cuz I had never seen the movie (and actually I still haven't lol)

Princess in another castle swerve....7 times yea!

Lance Vance turning On Tommy V in Vice City, though it was hinted at very much, I was pissed that he would do that to Tommy

Finding out Gas Snake was the President of the United States at the very end of MGS

Not being able to finish MGS2 with Solid Snake, that was bullshit!