TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Most forgettable stint in a promotion

Which major wrestler had the most forgettable stint in a major promotion? One shot appearences don't count, unless they weren't meant to be one shot appearences but they ended up being one shot appearences.

I'm going to start this thread off by mentioning Marty Jannetty's stint in WCW. Completely and utterly forgettable. Won a few matches during the beginning of his stint against guys like Lenny Lane and Louis Spicolli but then basically became a JTTS. I vaguely remember them beginning a feud between Jannetty and Raven's Flock but never really going through with it except for matches between Jannetty and guys like Sick Boy. I don't know if it was drugs that ruined it (In fact it probably WAS the drugs that ruined it) or the way too big roster but Jannetty didn't do anything. I still thought Jannetty had something to offer and could have been a decent mid carder in the TV title hunt or something.

I'll also mention both of Jim Neidhart's WCW stints (One in 92 and one in 98). I don't even remember Neidhart being in WCW back in 92 but I've heard it mentioned on the net that he wrestled a couple of matches for them. In the 98 stint, he teamed up with Davey Boy Smith and I thought they would be in the WCW Tag Team titles scene but the only thing they did was face lower tier tag teams like Public Enemy. They did have a match at Fall Brawl 98 (one of the worst PPVs of all time) against The Boogie Knights but I'm not sure if there was a feud before or what. At least, Davey Boy had a brief feud with Steve "Mongo" McMichael (A bad one but at least he had something to do) and the nWo B-Team, Neidhart did nothing except for be in Davey Boy's corner for said feuds. His stints in WCW really prove that Jim Neidhart was really nothing without Bret Hart.

There are more that I have in mind and I'll mention them later in this thread.

"The Rebel" Dick Slater in the WWF, late 1980s if my memory serves. I don't even know if he had a feud, I just remember him having a wicked short run there, dressed in full Southern Civil War-era garb.

I dont remember Jeff Jarrett amounting to much of anything when he went to the WWF in the mid 90's with his NWA North American Champion gimmick.

Um, didn't that run end up with him winning the tag belts with Owen Hart, and also winning the IC belt? Seemed like a decent run to me.

To add to that...recently Randy Savage's short run in TNA comes to mind. Seemed like they were trying to milk him for all he was worth, but that didn't pan out. Also, Brian Christopher's run in WWE last year was supposed to be more than one appearance on RAW.

Scott Hall's stint in ECW in 2000.

Yeah, that was really bizarre. I think he only wrestled three matches, one he teamed up with Jerry Lynn against Justin Credible and someone else, then I think he fought Credible in a one on one match and then he jobbed to Big Sal in a match so Heyman could see that Hall would put people over. \

Here's another one, Greg Valentine in WCW in 96-97 as a babyface. He won most of his matches, but they were mostly on WCW Saturday Night or Worldwide against jobbers. I remember he fought The Giant on Nitro once and got squashed.

How about Ahmed Johnson as Big T in WCW in 2000. I mean he did have a feud with Booker T in the epic "Battle over the T". After that though, he teamed up with Stevie Ray as Harlem Heat 2000 and lost a lot of matches in April/May of 2000. I remember his nickname on the net at the time was Big (gu)T

The Steiner Brothers in ECW.

Marty Jannetty in ECW

Buff Bagwell in WWF (as a part of WCW)

Public Enemy in WWF.

Most recently, Johnny B Badd in TNA

Edited by ChrisMWaters

Public Enemy in WWF.

By the same token, their run in ECW in early 99. It was funny because at...I wanna say House Party, the Dudleys made a challenge to them as the one team in the company history that they'd never beaten. The night they were supposed to show up, Bubba comes out and buries them in a promo, saying they didn't respect the ECW fans and that they didn't care about the company, and it got to the point that the fans actually began to turn on PE in favor of the Dudleys. Then--just to show how fickle the fans were--PE runs out to the ring and the crowd does a complete 180 and starts going crazy for them. And what made it even funnier was that they left for WWF like a week later, making the fans look even more stupid IMO for getting behind them.

For other forgettable runs...the Quebeccers' return to WWF back in 98, and save for the Rumble and the Plane Ride from Hell, I'd say Perfect's run in 02 was pretty forgettable as well (although I'll be damned if I didn't mark for him Perfect Plexing the Big Show).

"Terrific" Terry Taylor in WWF '92-'93. They never mentioned his past during that run, did they?

I think Heenan called him "The Rooster" Terry Taylor when he was coming to the ring for the Royal Rumble.

Owen Hart in WCW.

...when was this? O_o

Owen Hart in WCW.

...when was this? O_o

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/profi...owen-hart.html:

March/April 1991: Owen Hart worked several Television tapings with World Championship Wrestling..

March 14, 1991: Owen Hart & Brian Pillman & Junk Yard Dog beat Michael Hayes, Jimmy Garvin & Dan Spivey..

March 16, 1991: Brian Pillman & Owen Hart defeated Freebirds (Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin)..

March 18, 1991: Brad Armstrong & Owen Hart defeated Mr. X & Kevin Sullivan..

March 22, 1991: Owen Hart defeated Bobby Eaton..

April 4, 1991: Owen Hart defeated El Cubano..

April 6, 1991: Owen Hart defeated Joe Cruz..

Edited by Dewe

Man, surprising Owen didn't stick around in WCW longer, since they seemed like they were putting him over. That six man tag sounds interesting in a weird way.

I've seen Dick Slater on some of those 1986 Prime Time episodes where he's The Rebel. Pretty funny really.

How about Tracey Smothers in 1995 or so when he was Freddie Joe Floyd?

And speaking of Neidhart in 98, how can we forget Bulldog's stint at the same time?

Guest Hadley

Steve Armstrong in late 92 wwf as "Lance Cassidy". He even had the old young pistols tights.

You know, even though it ended up with two titles, an epic historic run at the Rumble, a red hot ME feud with Savage and classic matches with most of the main stars and some lesser ones, you might have to put Flair's 18 months in WWF in the WTF category as it was a quick run and he was right back to where he really always should have been

It was like Fran Tarkention's days as a Giant to put it into a sports context

Steve

How about Shane Douglas' run in WWF circa 1992? That was pretty quick. His run as Dean Douglas was pretty weird and short as well.

Another one could be Steve Williams in 1998 WWF. The only thing memorable about it was him losing to Bart Gunn in the Brawl for All tournament.

DDP in TNA

At least he competed in a PPV main event in TNA... I'd actually put DDP's WWF run in 2001 as a member of WCW. Lost to Taker's wife, jobbed left and right, and was gone (due to injury) in less than a year. At least he got a European title run out of it and a WrestleMania win over Christian.

Like either of those mean anything, but still. :lol:

Akira Hokuto, the greatest wrestler to ever live, was in WCW and did jack shit aside from winning the truly worthless women's championship. It's quite sad.

Edited by Spine Upon the Pine