TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

Least Favourite

My Host from Hell: Brent Musberger (Formerly ABC)

Lead Analyst: Pierre McGuire (TSN)

Colour Guy: Curtis Strange (Formerly ABC)

Field Level Reporter: Gary McCord (CBS)

Discuss, I'm sure we all have a few guys we hate.

Host: John Saunders or Jeanne Zelasko

Lead Analyst: We'll call it a coinflip between Don Cherry and Pierre McGuire

Color: Joe Theismann or Tim McCarver

Field Level: Eh, Todd Harris is annoying

Favorite on the other hand:

Host: Keith Jackson as either play-by-play or host, he's the best voice to listen to when watching football. Hockey: Bob Miller.

Lead Analyst: Stephen A. Smith, strictly for comedic reasons

Color: John Davidson

Field Level: Lynn Swann

Local:

Chris Wheeler - Phillies play-by-play, Kalas' heir apparent, ugh

Steve Coates - Flyers color man, the most annoying voice in the history of broadcasting. Fortunately he screams everything so you never miss any of his pearls of wisdom.

National:

I'll go easy way out and say the ESPN Sunday Night Football crew, top to bottom. They contribute absolutely nothing to the game.

For the two other NASCAR fans out there, I'll also throw in Wally Dallenbach.

Brent Musberger always sounds like he's about to fall asleep.

The only other guys I usually can't stand are Stephen A. Smith and the ESPN SNF crew during a game involving Michael Vick, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, or Ray Lewis.

Joe Buck is the worst announcer in the history of all mankind. Dick Vitale is the worst color guy ever. Does Theisman count as an 'analyst' if so, then he's the worst there, and Tony siragusa is the worst field level guy..

That's the worst team ever

Joe Buck

Dick Vitale

Theisman

Tony Siragusa

That team could ruin any sporting event EVER.

SNF crew, by far.

Joe Buck had always been average to me, but after his whole overreaction to the Randy Moss faux-mooning incident last year, I can't stand the guy

Guest Leelee

Least Favorite Host: Chris Fowler. He's fine with college football. He should stay there, and stop pretending he knows the slightest thing about tennis. Please don't show up for the Aussie Open again next year.

Play-by-play: Ted Robinson. Asshole. Pedophile. Insults players for the most inane reasons. Has a huge head because... I don't even know why. Later-years Musberger gets honorable mention.

Color: Paul Maguire. After listening to him in Buffalo for many years... it's beyond me how he continues to get high positions as an NFL color man. Can add a bunch of others here: Theismann. Bill Maas. Patrick McEnroe. Tracy Austin.

Field Reporter: Anna Kournikova. Well, that's unfair... she only lasted a few days. But, she managed to perv with old men that took away from my tennis coverage. Tony Siragusa. There was one Bills game where Fox kept making a huge deal how Tony Siragusa is on the sidelines! Who cares?

The list begins and ends with Tim McCarver. He's the absolute worst.

Others not mentioned so far: Dick Enberg (senile), Dan Dierdorf (talks too much), Billy Packer (as bad as Vitale at times), Bill Raftery (if I hear, "MANNAMAN!" many more times, I'm going to snap).

Any one of the former football players who do Fox NFL Football. Bill Maas, Tim Ryan, Balldinger (looks like a fat Randy Orton), Neil, Tony Saragusa O'Donell, Daryl Johnston, Aikman, and when he was around: Chris Colinsworth. Gotta add in Shannon Sharpe, and the SNF crew. Pam Ward also annoys the fuck out of me along with the side-line people to.

Guest Rrrsh

Tim McCarver is the shits.

Madden is annoying now, as is Cole and neale on Hockey Night in Canada.

I can't stand bill rafferty either. I like his voice for announcing and play-by-play but I can't stand his over-the-top cartoonish exaggerations on exciting plays, it's like he takes all the good he can do and totally drops the ball with it.

I don't understand the brent musburger hate...he's not great anymore, but he certainly isn't that terrible and I like his pacing quite a bit.

I think Harold Reynolds is my favorite studio guy by FAR. He'd be awesome in a color guy role also, with the right complementary team. :)

Guest Leelee
Dick Enberg (senile)

Ugh, forgot him.

Enberg was great in his day... and still can be at times. But, when he goes on his stories at the most inopportune times... gives me that uneasy feeling of a grandpa with Alzheimer's.

While not the worst, I'd still say Madden just because there's a large # of people that fawn over his every word.

The man stopped making sense in the 1990s ... how people don't see through his double-speak and contradictions is so baffling to me.

As a long time Bengals fan, I have to vote for Steve Tasker. He and Don Criqui must be the "D" or "E" announcing team for CBS, and lets be honest, the Bengals have played in a lot of "D" and "E" games in the past ten years.

The SNF crew have a soft spot in my heart for worst as well.

Guest Leelee

With Madden, I think his simplicity is part of his routine. They intentionally make him sound dumb with some of the lines in his video game, IMO. And, since I guess it works, why change.

As a long time Bengals fan, I have to vote for Steve Tasker. He and Don Criqui must be the "D" or "E" announcing team for CBS, and lets be honest, the Bengals have played in a lot of "D" and "E" games in the past ten years.

Before this season, I hadn't seen a Bengals game on CBS in 5 years. NFL Sunday Ticket changed that.

Madden is annoying now, as is Cole and neale on Hockey Night in Canada.

Did anyone else enjoy it when they swapped colour guys on HNIC? I thought Hughson and Neale were pretty good on the late game.

Least favourite host: Pick any Rogers Sportsnet guy not surnamed Toth

Least favourite studio analyst: Don Cherry. At times I'm surprised that Bobby Clarke doesn't hire this idiot to coach the Flyers.

Least favourite colour commentator: Joe Theismann. MNF is gonna be painful next year...

He must've moved up to "D", since he'd been doing Bills games for quite a while...

With Madden, I think his simplicity is part of his routine. They intentionally make him sound dumb with some of the lines in his video game, IMO. And, since I guess it works, why change.

"90% of this game is half mental." bahaha

Host: Jeannie Zelasko

PBP: Joe Buck

Color: Tim McCarver

Field: Tony Siragusa

I think most linebackers, defensive linemen, and other such monoliths should not be paid to say words into a microphone and describe things they see. To my untrained ear, every Tony Siragusa report just sounds like BUUUUUUUUH. DUUUUH. FUUUUUUH. BUH.

The genius that decided to give Siragusa an open mic to communicate with the guys in the booth should be shot. It's easy enough to flip away when they show him on the sideline, thus avoiding his babble. But when they decide to let him in on the conversation periodically throughout the game ... ugh, it's just too hard to avoid him.

Not to bring wrestling into a good folder like Sports, but it says a lot about WCW that we're sitting here saying defensive players don't make good football color men, and yet they had a defensive player even further out of his element as a wrestling color man. "And we're not discussing farm implements here."

Now that Dan Schulman and Buck Martinez are in the States and Tom Cheek is dead, the Blue Jays have some bad people in the booth in both radio and TV. Rob Faulds was really bad as a PBP guy and Jamie Campbell isn't much better, but I'll give him a chance to develop since he's only had one season. It would help if he had a steady partner instead of the rotating colourmen he had last season (and none of them are really any good). Warren Sawkiw was really bad as a studio analyst and was just as bad in the booth at the '04 Olympics. I listened to maybe 2 or 3 games on the radio last season and he bad there, too. Jerry Howarth is alright, but he was better when he had someone who was good at their job like Cheek in the booth with him. It's pretty bad when Rob Black is the best of the bunch.

I used to think Joe Bowen for the Leafs wasn't all that bad, but I was wrong. Him and Harry Neale just laugh at stupid jokes all game. Dennis Beyak's a lot better and I wish they'd give him a shot on TV instead of being the back-up radio guy.

Peter Loubardias from SportsNet has any annoying 'He scores' call, but he mostly seems to do junior/AHL games, and I don't watch too many of those, so it's alright. I don't really like Gord Miller as TSN's lead hockey PBP guy, either. Chris Cuthbert's a lot better, I find, but they usually stick him with Glen Healy on the b-games.