TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

What cuisines

Here in seattle we're pretty blessed with all types of food, and more restaurants than anywhere I've seen outside of Texas (Houston has a restaurant to every two houses in the city, I swear).

I think we have excellent restaurants in all Cuisines, except for southern foods. We have one decent soul food restaurant I know of, only one good BBQ joint, which isn't even technically in Seattle, and one horribly overpiced cajun eattery. Pretty much everything else, we're in like Flint.

Guest Brian

There used to be great barbeque in Seattle on Lake City Way. Caveman's (or something like that, which now that I think of it it may be in Shoreline). I don't think there's any really great barbeque in the area anymore, but if you like good barbeque sauce, Hole in the Wall Barbeque sells "Bushwacker Sauce". If you head to the CD, there's a bunch of places to get soul food (and a few places in the area that are more upscale). I've just recently found that Greenwood has excellent near-Eastern food, especially the Kabob House, which serves excellent Pakistani cuisine. And we have a pizziola in town, which is a real commodity.

Here's what I got from a quick search on Caveman:

http://www.dexonline.com/servlet/ActionSer...ndingAreas=true

Guest Vitamin X

Miami's a great city for food, especially all kinds of Latin... except Mexican. Mexican food is severely lacking around here. Outside of Taco Bell, of course.

There's only one good Italian place in this entire city, and it's almost always packed.

Besides that, Columbus is pretty well covered.

It's tough to find good Mexican cuisine up here, seeing as how Canadians have swapped out for Indians as our resident immigrant of choice. But if you're looking for roti's, samosas and goat places then you're sound as a pound.

Caveman Kitchen on Lake City has been closed for at least 6 years.

There's a couple BBQ places that have popped up lately, but they're overpriced, and not that great.

As an aside, we have an Italian/Tex-Mex restauran here called "Two Dagos from Texas." That's just awesome.

Guest Brian

Yeah, I haven't been there since I was a little kid, but man I used to love going there.

Guest Brian

Seafood, and partly Pan-Asian cuisine. All the great food landmarks (Pike Place Market, Uwajimaya, Internation District) have the freshest of seafood and most of the great chefs from the area are famous for seafood. Most of the really awesome supermarkets (Central Market) have fresh clams and shrimp still in water, along with huge Asian-food influences on the shelves.

And micro-breweries are huge in the Northwest.

Guest heyimbro
(Houston has a restaurant to every two houses in the city, I swear).

Isn't Houston the reigning champion of the "Fattest City in the US" contest? If so, makes sense.

What sort of cuisine is Seattle known for, anyway? VX and I were just discussing the greatness of Chicago's local fare. The Pacific Northwest always seems like the odd man out when it comes to cool regional identities.

That's probably because it's the youngest area of the country. It certainly doesn't have the history of Chicago, NO, NY.

We have tons of Asian food. Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese in particular, though here's plenty of Korean and Chinese restaurants. Many of these are quality.

Plenty of all types of fresh seafood. About the only thing we don't have is lobster.

Between Washington and Cali, cheap, excellent fruit.

Taqueria stands/restaurants are starting to explode.

We don't really have a local 'cuisine' though. We basically have everything from everywhere else, much like the rest of the west coast, I'd imagine, but with a heavy emphasis on Asian foods, since there's many, many Asian immigrant families here. We have our own Chinatown.

We even have a Chicago-style hot dog place near me. I might have to check it out.

(Houston has a restaurant to every two houses in the city, I swear).

Isn't Houston the reigning champion of the "Fattest City in the US" contest? If so, makes sense.

How on earth did they pass Milwaukee? That's a fat fuck city if ever there was one. One's Summerfest experience can be significantly marred by scantily-clad women who should be the last ones on earth dressing that way. I'm not just being a male pig here. I'm talking about considerably obese girls waddling along the lakefront in shorts and bikini tops stuffing their faces with corn dogs and beer and trying to burn it off by drunkenly dancing to some shitty side-stage pub-rock band. It's a real eyesore.

Guest Vitamin X

I bet they're real nice and pale, too.

What's up with the Midwest and fat chicks, anyways?

I bet they're real nice and pale, too.

What's up with the Midwest and fat chicks, anyways?

Can't beat the South or Midwest when it comes to eating, though.

As for the south, it is too varied to really fall under the trap of having a bunch of fat women. You won't see many in metro areas around Florida and California, but I'm sure there are tons of fat chicks in like Alabama, Arkansas, etc.

Oh, and how do you decide which states fall under which regions? Some are obvious, like Washington being Northwest, but which states are in the midwest? Minnesota, Iowa, what else? What do you call the area with COlorado, Wyoming?

The Midwest is of great debate. You can break it up into two halves: the Great Plains and the Great Lakes/Rust Belt. West of the Mississippi is flat with agriculturally-based economies, east is more varied terrain with industrial economies in the cities.

Colorado and Wyoming are considered Mountain West, with Idaho, Utah, Montana, and eastern Washington State.

9nations-1.JPG

This is from Joel Garreau's The Nine Nations of North America. I'd rename and tweak a few things, but it's an interesting and more accurate take on regional breakdowns.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

There's some fuckin' weirdos in Florida. I hearken back to our pod person state debate regarding FL and Texas.

Guest Vitamin X
Yeah, except for some of the eastern panhandle, Florida isn't Dixie. There's people here who've never heard of sausage gravy or fried okra.

I'd say Tampa maybe counts a little more under the "Islands" thing like Miami/South Florida does.

Overall though, I mostly agree with that map.

I'm going to try and redraw this when I get back from lunch. I don't know what to do with some of upstate New York, Ohio, and such. New York is split into New England, Rust Belt, and Mid-Atlantic, but there's still space left over. Appalachia? I'll try to get 10 regions so we can do a TSM Census poll.

Here in Rochester, NY it's pretty hard to find a good, reasonable priced Mexican place even though their's a decent sized Hispanic population in the area. When I went to school in Ohio I find that every decent sized town seemed to have a good, cheap little family owned restuarant despite the virutal absense of a Hispanic population.

Guest Brian

We have fresh lobster, but a small window on it when the water is really good for it. Personally, between fresh dungeness crabs and alaskan spots prawn (which kick the pants off black tigers), lobster's kinda overrated.

What we are missing in Seattle is good Russian food.