TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Vince McMahon's onscreen character

To me, nothing has been more interesting, complicated, confusing, and odder than the character of Vince McMahon since WWE Homecoming. I have tried to put the pieces together concerning his character, but I just can't quite do it. The way he is written is so different week in and week out that he's becoming interesting to watch just for the fact of I have no idea what the hell he'll do next. Sure, most of the time I have an idea, but you never know for sure. Case in point:

-At Homecoming, we have a fun little nostalgia segment with Austin and he stuns all the McMahons. This leads to Vince getting pissed, JR getting fired, the Linda heel turn, and what was supposed to be an Austin/Coach match at Taboo Tuesday. And the original plan was for Coach to WIN after interference by Mark Henry. Okay...so where was this all going before Austin backed out? Was it just Vince venting personal anger towards JR on camera? Was it leading to some big Austin/McMahon thing? Was it leading, with Linda's heel turn and Steph's on camera presence again, to another reign of the McMahons as a weekly force on WWE TV? Obviously with Steph pregnant I can understand her being out of action...but why turn Linda heel and then do nothing?

-Then we have the firing of Eric Bischoff, the whole time in which Vince acted like a babyface, had numerous jokes, one liners, and acted as a babyface with Cena in the ring at the end of the show as he "took out the trash".

-Now we have the HBK feud. Apparently the feud was started in order to work something with HBK/Vince/Bret at Mania, but there are no signs Bret will do the show. Again, Vince is a heel, talking about how much money he has, accidentally pulling his pants down for Mrs. Benjamin, making HBK win matches to keep this job, or this past RAW, not only make HBK win a match to keep his Rumble spot, but cut a creepy promo begging Shawn to come back to his drug abusing days with him.

So I'm asking you guys...what the hell is the point of all this, where is it going, is there any plan in place, is Vince crazy, and what the hell is exactly going on?

I think the honest answer is that the creative team and Vince himself have no idea where this is going. I mean, it was originally supposed to be him working a program with Austin, then Bret Hart (supposedly), now HBK. I think they really don't have any clue what they're doing.

Personally, I think it would be different if it leads to some kind of insanity angle with Vince. Have him keep getting weirder and weirder each week, booking really vindictive matches, etc. Finally they could have Linda announce that Vince has been declared unfit to stay on as CEO and her taking over, appointing a new GM, or whatever. This could lead to Vince eventually leading some kind of new invasion angle to take back the WWE, or something.

This could lead to Vince eventually leading some kind of new invasion angle to take back the WWE, or something.

No.

WWE should never attempt another invasion angle for as long as they exist.

The more often a character says "from now on...," the weaker the character is. Just like a friend of yours who seemingly changes his life philosophy every couple of weeks.

It's painfully obvious what the hell Vince is trying to do, and it's not working. Vince is trying to recapture the days of Attitude when people would tune in to RAW to see what he would try to do to foil Austin. Austin's character worked as the man who would defy authority. It worked perfectly back then as it was new to mainstream. Granted there was ECW but ECW was on the fringe.

Right now it's not working as Attitude has been done. He's trying too hard to revive it...how else would you have Edge doing a "live sex" show to get over as champ. HBK as the Austin foil doesn't work...the HBK of 2005 lacks the charisma of the 1996 one. It doesn't work anymore, it takes TV time away from the rest of the roster.

I would like to see them work the religious-angle, where Vince says he doesn't believe in God and how there are no consequences for his actions in this life in the afterlife, so he's not afraid to be a sinner and indulge in various vices. He tries to goad HBK into a fight but Shawn turns the other cheek because he knows that God will handle him when the time comes. But then one day you have Marty Jannetty partying with Vince and back on the wagon and Shawn realizes he has to take Vince down before Vince takes everyone around him with him.

I'm wondering more and more why Triple H is calling himself the King of Kings. Now I know. Vince is the Devil, HBK is the poor man battling to maintain his faith and Triple H will turn himself face for his match with Edge by proving to everyone he's Jesus Christ.

Then HBK will betray him at Mania costing HHH the match, making Shawn into Judas and Edge the Romans. It all fits.

I spent way too much time thinking about that.

So Edge is going to nail HHH into his symbol? If it wasn't for that whole "ressurection" thing I'd say that would be a FINE way to end Wrestlemania.

Do you think HHH would no-sell "symbolization"

Well, it explains how Steph got preggers just from a Triple H glance. And I'm positive he'd still hit Edge with a pedigree while hooked to his symbol.

I don't think you can double underhook anything with your hands nailed 6 feet apart

We didn't think you could do a racism feud and then win the blow off match at Mania but who did it?

Never doubt the H. He'll just use his mind to underhook the arms and fall forward so Edge's head gets crushed by the bottom of the cross.

Vince is trying to foil God.

I want God to ride in a zamboni and attack him in the middle of a championship declaration.

Vince vs. God would only be any good if WWE hired Edward Lee to the writing team