TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Best comic artis ever.

Ny vote is Hiroaki Samura. Blade of the Immortal is a very good comic book, but it's his sketchy artwork that makes it a keeper. Just incredible detail in the death scenes, great facial expressions, just a master. Definitely makes the book.

immortale2web.jpg

Others would be Alex Ross, Mike Allred (personal favorite) Whoever did the art for Preacher (Steve Dillon I think?) Definitely grew on me. And whoever drew Miracleman 15. And Masamune Shirow.

I really like Alex Ross. His work in Kingdom Come and Justice is outstanding.

Other artists that I really like are Mark Bagley, and Luke Ross (Jonah Hex), and Rob Liefield (NOT!)

This is a heck of a question...Will Eisner and Jack Kirby are amazing as far as technique and layout is concerned. Jim Lee and Neal Adams are both great with their ultra clean art. Byrne and Perez draw stuff that looks definitive.

Guest Desperate Housewife

Alex Maleev

Micheal Turner

Bryan Hitch

Ben Templesmith

Mike Oeming

Special mention to Pia Guerra, who's work adds loads to Y The Last Man, in it's simplicity

I forgot to honorably mention Geof Darrow, solely for Hard Boiled, which probably has the best comics art I've ever seen. Too bad it took him 3 years to complete it, because the art's so incredibly detailed.

This is a heck of a question...Will Eisner and Jack Kirby are amazing as far as technique and layout is concerned. Jim Lee and Neal Adams are both great with their ultra clean art. Byrne and Perez draw stuff that looks definitive.

In my opinion, Jim Lee is extrememly overrated and is only good at drawing action shots or people posing. His work just doesn't lend itself to enough styles of storytelling to really be considered great or even that good. Its all flash, but no emotions. All of his characters look interchangable, with the only person that doesn't fit into his cookie-cutter idea of characters is Wolverine, because his face and body are broader than other characters' bodies. His version of Storm looks like a white woman painted brown. Compare his work on Batman to his work on Superman. They look exactly the same, even though the tone of the stories are different and its so similar they could even be the same person.

I heard recently that Hiroaki Samura won the Eisner award a while ago. That's awesome. Really, I'm notminating him for a reason. I would recommend buying the first volume of Blade of the Immortal for the incredible artwork, but the series looks to be going very long. His artwork just gets better, though.

I agree that Lee is overrated. Not bad, but overrated.

I really like Bagley, too. Great action poses and facial expressions. Draws the best Venom by far.

Someone said Micheal Turner, and I must respectfully disagree. His bugs me with the way he draws the men's jaws. His women sometimes looks to thin, because I can see their rib cages way to often. Again this is only my opinion, and feel free to disagree with me.

Someone said Micheal Turner, and I must respectfully disagree. His bugs me with the way he draws the men's jaws. His women sometimes looks to thin, because I can see their rib cages way to often. Again this is only my opinion, and feel free to disagree with me.

Michael Turner's artwork looks like what happens when you watch an anamorphic widescreen movie on a 4:3 screen. Everything's too tall and skinny.

I'm mostly old school so my all-time fave is Jack "The King" Kirby. His style just drew me in like no other before or since.

Other favorites of mine are George Perez, John Buscema, and somewhat more recent guys like Alex Ross, John Romita jr., Jim Lee, and Carlos Pacheco.

I've always liked Curt Swan's stuff on Superman. It seems that many people on the internet charge him with being bland, but he produced the definitive Superman in my mind.

Most of my other favorites are usually tied to their DC work including Neal Adams, Jim Aparo, Irv Novick, Howard Porter, Ed McGuinness, Dan Jurgens, Norm Breyfogle and Graham Nolan.

Most of my other favorites are usually tied to their DC work including Neal Adams, Jim Aparo, Irv Novick, Howard Porter, Ed McGuinness, Dan Jurgens, Norm Breyfogle and Graham Nolan.

Forgot aboout Jurgens! I always liked his artwork, since it was clean and simple. Even though Zero Hour sucked his artwork was quite nice.

Dan Jurgens is a hack. His drawing always look stiff and completely lacking in any detail or nuance that makes characters look like anything more than mere cartoon characters. Why he was allowed to draw the battle between Superman and Doomsday is beyond me. The entire issue was nothing more than 22 poorly framed splash pages of punching and crashing. As an artist, he completely lacks imagination.

Why he was allowed to draw the battle between Superman and Doomsday is beyond me.

Probably because he wrote the story himself.

That's no excuse.

Jim Lee's characters all look identical, ditto for John Byrne.

Best I've seen was probably Travis Charest, who drew Wildcats a few years ago, and Joe Madueria(sp?) who drew Battlechasers and X-Men, I think. Favourites are Michael Allred, Steve Dillon, David Mazzuchelli, Mark Bagley(early-mid 90's Spider-Man) and Jack Kirby.

Jim Lee's characters all look identical, ditto for John Byrne.

Byrne has five or six types he uses over and over. Lee just has a female face, a male face, and Wolverine.

Battle Chasers was a really pretty book, but the 'sexy' character was like a gross parody of Lara Croft, who is in turn a gross parody of femininity.

EDIT: Mike Allred apparently has a lot of fans, since I can't find his 'Solo' comic anywhere. It's supposed to be the best one by far.

Also: Yoshitaka Amano. Designer for the Final Fantasy games, he did a Sandman comic that was beautiful. I think his output is minimal, and takes some getting used to, but he's the shit.