TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

JJ Redick just got traded to the Boston Celtics for Ricky Davis, Mark Blount, and Marcus Banks and is 3 inches taller.

If he's as good as Wally, he should be a top 5 pick.

Can someone post the Insider Article - ESPN, Chris Sheridan, a matter of time before Francis is traded piece. Thanks.

I'm sorry that this is another Knick post, but I need to give props to Q-Richardson for becoming a pretty decent defender. He held McGrady to 9-26 last week, and 3-20 a few days ago. He's really busting his ass, even though he'd been struggling from the field (getting better recently). If he can be that defensive stopper, it could really change this here a bit, finally having someone who can atleast bother the opposing team's star swingman.

There's also a rumored Gooden for Earl Watson trade, which makes sense for both teams. The Nuggets need some bigman help, and the Cavs need a point guard.

I think it's a dumb move on the Cavs part as they have absolutely no one who can play PF behind Gooden. Basically they would be Illgauskus and a bunch of guards and small forwards. If and when Zydrunas gets in foul trouble or gets injured, the Cavs would be super-fucked.

Here's the insider article:

The clock is ticking, and the days are winding down until next Thursday's NBA trade deadline.

There are going to be some deals, but there's really no telling exactly how many. Lots of folks were predicting a quiet deadline day a year ago, but it turned into one of the busiest days of deal-making ever.

Insider has been in constant touch with general managers and player personnel officials throughout the NBA, allowing for a handicapping of who might be wearing a new uniform by next weekend. So without further ado, we present The 10 Players Most Likely To Be Traded by Feb. 23:

3325.jpg

Francis

1. Steve Francis. It now appears to be a matter of when, not if, the Magic will trade him. New York and Denver are the leading candidates as of now, but Minnesota is trying to engineer a three-team deal that would put Francis alongside Kevin Garnett and Ricky Davis. A long-shot possibility is Francis returning to Houston. Wednesday night's Orlando-Detroit trade removed the possibility of Kelvin Cato going to New York in a Francis trade, but the Knicks can still do a Hardaway-Francis deal by removing Jamal Crawford from the equation and substituting Trevor Ariza and rookies David Lee and/or Nate Robinson.

1274.jpg

Hardaway

2. Penny Hardaway. The most valuable thing about Penny is his expiring max contract, which comes off the salary cap at the end of this season. Teams can make up for years of mistakes by dumping their big contracts in exchange for an expiring deal (see Jalen Rose to Knicks; Rasheed Wallace to Hawks; Tom Gugliotta to Jazz), so there's plenty of interest in the former superstar who's appeared in only four games this season for the Knicks. Aside from Orlando, Portland is a possibility.

2669.jpg

Lenard

3. Voshon Lenard. There is always a market for a deadeye shooter, even when he's well past his prime (see Steve Smith-Malik Allen a year ago). Denver has been trying to find a taker for Lenard since early this season, and the Nuggets probably will take the best offer on the table by 3 p.m. Thursday for the career 38 percent 3-point shooter (42 percent in the playoffs).

3663.jpg

Evans

4. Reggie Evans. One of the league's best rebounders has the right to veto any deal after accepting a one-year tender offer from Seattle, but the time has come for him to escape Bob Hill's doghouse and get to a place where he can establish some value for himself before becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer. The Sonics have been willing to move him all season.

3183.jpg

Anderson

5. Derek Anderson. The arrival of Keith Bogans in Houston last week signaled the end of the Anderson experiment for the Rockets, who publicly stated they'd make every effort to trade him. Anderson makes less than $1.7 million but has an option for next season. He was a solid player in Portland a couple years ago, but his production level and his value have plummeted.

3712.jpg

Sweetney

6. Michael Sweetney. The Chicago Bulls still are trying to find a big man with an expiring contract who can help them make a push for the playoffs, and one of the assets they'd be most comfortable moving (as opposed to their fear of letting go of Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, and/or Kirk Hinrich) is the overweight power forward who came in the Eddy Curry trade. The Jazz like him, and they'd consider taking Sweetney and another player if they could get rid of . …

3632.jpg

Boozer

7. Carlos Boozer. The worst hamstring in the history of the state of Utah finally is healed, just in time for the Jazz to showcase their $70 million asset. Boozer's star has faded considerably since he was a member of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team, and if the Jazz had it to do over again they'd have spent their free agent money elsewhere. Drew Gooden in Cleveland is often mentioned as the power forward most likely to be moved, but the Cavs need him more than the Jazz need Boozer.

0832.jpg

Jackson

8. Jim Jackson. The Suns were close to moving him recently, but the deal fell through. Phoenix is content to keep him as insurance policy in case of an injury, but he's not going to play much this season if the Suns stick with their current rotation. Not many teams are calling Phoenix, but interest in veteran players such as Jackson typically picks up when the deadline is inside of 72 hours away.

3549.jpg

Watson

9. Earl Watson/Nene. No list of the Most Likely To Be Traded would be complete without the Denver duo who have been involved in trade rumors throughout the entire season -- and even longer in Nene's case. There's not as much interest in Watson as the Nuggets would have people think, but there are teams willing to throw money at Nene when he becomes a restricted free agent over the summer, and the Nuggets seem convinced he won't be worth the investment.

3016.jpg

Williams

10. Eric Williams. New Raptors general manager Wayne Embry said he would try to accommodate Williams' desire for a trade, but Williams has an option to be paid $4.3 million next season, and he simply isn't good enough to justify that salary. Philadelphia was interested earlier this season, but the Sixers are now holding a roster spot open in case Tim Thomas gets a buyout from Chicago.

Yeah, that would be awful. You have to dump Crawfords contract if you are going to pick up Francis's.

And why are the Knicks so against trading Lee or Ariza when Brown makes it a point to tell them they can't play worth a shit on weekly basis in the media? Get rid of them for christsake.

I don't have too much of a problem in getting rid of Ariza, but Lee needs to stay. Um, did anyone watch TNT? I heard they said something about Nate being involved, which would suck ass.

And the Rockets are also somewhat interested. They are willing to give Head.

I don't have too much of a problem in getting rid of Ariza, but Lee needs to stay.

WHY? I mean unless you plan on Larry Brown being gone really soon, He has all but said he isn't going to play either of them because he doesn't like their game. Plus he keeps saying that Nate Robinson is never going to be a point guard. If it weren't for the freak show aspect of his game, he would be sitting right besides the other two, but I know Brown knows the fans will have his head if Lil Nate doesn't see the court.

Does anyone listen to some radio show in LA with Michael Thompson? I just heard that he said the Knicks are about to deal Penny Hardaway for Darius Miles and Theo Ratliff. I don't like this very much.

Where did you see that? I know the Lakers are looking for more backcourt experience, but I didnt' hear anything about Francis to LA for Odom.

I don't think that would work out too well unless the Lakers are just packing it in for this season already. Odom is their best rebounder. If he goes, they'll get killed on the glass.

I really wish they'd quit calling the Hornets "the team with no home." That's such bullshit.

Everyone knows they belong in OKC, everyone knows they like it in OKC better, and everyone knows OKC treats them better than New Orleans did.

But b/c of the Hurricane Katrina tragedy they have to go on about how sad it is and how the poor down-trodden people of New Orleans need their team back and the big evil fans in OKC need to quit trying to steal the team.

It's such bullshit. ESPN needs to just admit that OKC is where they belong and that New Orleans won't even be able to support the team for a long time.

Apparently though the people of New Orleans are pissed that we have the team and are going on the radio and bashing OKC and talking about how the Hornets are "tainted" and they don't even want them back.

Oh and everyone here in OK is still up in arms over the comments Charles Barkley made about Oklahoma. Obviously he was joking and just trying to get a reaction. Barkley has been here before and he knows that what he said about Oklahoma isn't true, he was just drawing a rise.

I did think his "The Sooners and Hornets are my only brothers" comment was funny especially considering that I've seen and met more black people than cowboys and rednecks in my life in Oklahoma.

Guest Vitamin X
Where did you see that? I know the Lakers are looking for more backcourt experience, but I didnt' hear anything about Francis to LA for Odom.

I don't think that would work out too well unless the Lakers are just packing it in for this season already. Odom is their best rebounder. If he goes, they'll get killed on the glass.

Agreed, but from reading that article, I could see how they would be wanting to acquire him so that another team also just some backcourt help away from being a true contender wouldn't. I don't think offering Odom for Francis would be a good deal for the Lakers, though. Maybe sending over someone like Smush Parker and Kwame Brown for Francis would be excellent, and have L.A. with a starting five of Mihm-Odom-Cook-Kobe-Francis. That's a hell of an offensive set there.

Guest Vitamin X

Well, it DID mention the Magic would be in a rebuilding mode..

Though I have a pretty good feeling Kwame's not being discussed in trade rumors, at all.

Guest tony manero

FWIW, there are rumors floating around that the following deal is imminent:

Lamar Odom to Orlando

Steve Francis to Houston

Tracy McGrady to Lakers

Anyone catch the new Jordan/shoes (i think it was shoes) commercial? It was really really cool, it had various kids and high school players re-enacting the classic Jordan moments, right down to the mannerisms and the defense players (like Ehlo collapsing from 89 or Russell tripping on the court in 98)

I think everyone needs to read the ESPN.com article Bill Simmons wrote about the Darko trade, basically he goes into how the best basketball team on earth could be one of the best dynasties ever if they had actually drafted a functional basketball player with the #2 pick in one of the top 3 drafts ever, instead of an awkward kid from Serbia. Seriously, if the Pistons drafted me in 2003 when i was a 6' 175lb high school all-region guard they would have been better off than drafting Darko.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/060217

FWIW, there are rumors floating around that the following deal is imminent:

Lamar Odom to Orlando

Steve Francis to Houston

Tracy McGrady to Lakers

There's no way that Francis would be going back to Houston.

I think everyone needs to read the ESPN.com article Bill Simmons wrote about the Darko trade, basically he goes into how the best basketball team on earth could be one of the best dynasties ever if they had actually drafted a functional basketball player with the #2 pick in one of the top 3 drafts ever, instead of an awkward kid from Serbia. Seriously, if the Pistons drafted me in 2003 when i was a 6' 175lb high school all-region guard they would have been better off than drafting Darko.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/060217

Bill Simmons and you are wrong.

No player in that draft would have had any impact on the Pistons except Lebron James.

If they had taken Chris Bosh, he would have rode the bench in the exact same way and people would have been saying that they wasted that pick. If they had taken Dwayne Wade, he would have been backing up Rip Hamilton, MAYBE, but since his jumpshot wasn't that strong then, he probably would have never gotten playing time. If they had taken Carmelo, he would have been backing up Prince and then would have been in the LB doghouse because of how he plays defense.

Lottery picks do not belong on Championship caliber teams like the pistons had. None of the top picks in that are all stars now would have been more than towel swingers in Detroit.

I don't buy that. Wade would have been the perfect combo backup to Rip and Chauncey, and Bosh would have brought a ton of energy off the bench in the frontcourt. Both guys were polished and near NBA ready coming out of college, scouts knew both guys were players. They could have fit onto that Pistons team seamlessly as 20 min a night backups, whereas Darko was a total project who wasn't even ready for that.

I do agree that Melo would have been a bad fit with Larry Brown as the coach.

I agree, it isn't proven that Brown wouldn't have played an NBA-ready rookie stud like Bosh,Wade, or Melo. Projects like Darko can never develop on a good team like the Pistons, but a proven collegiate stud could have fit in on that team. Honestly, the Pistons would have been better off drafting Darko and working out some deal where he would play in the best European leagues for a few years, and then come over at age 20 or 21. He would have played there much more and been more confident. It is obvious the kid can play but he just can't translate his skills into games because he comes in at garbage time and just was treated as a total joke from day 1. Brown and even Flip should have been playing him 20 minutes a night against joke teams like the Hawks and Raptors