TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

Suncoast/Sam Goody going out of business!

Imagine my suprise when I got to the mall tonight (one I haven't been to in months) and find that Suncoast movies had moved out. Upon inquiring, I found out that Suncoast, and all its affiliated companies, are going out of business. Right now, the stores have sales going on where you can get everything int he store 30-50% off (which means, for once, you aren't over-paying at Suncoast). I'm saddened by this because not only did I buy all of my collectible figures there, they always had some really cool free stuff to give when you picked up a pre-ordered movie.

The mall at which I stop by for lunch after classes is shutting down the Sam Goody soon. Strangely enough, the Suncoast is still in operation from what I can tell. The discounts at Sam Goody are at 30% right now, but the prices are still high even with the so-called discount. I'll wait for them to hit the final 50% off stretch before making my next round.

If I make a purchase then, it'll be the first time I will have bought something from a Sam Goody.

I read about this on Fatwallet and their sale is really highway robbery.

They go through the store and mark everything back up to FULL RETAIL PRICE (which admittedly isn't much higher than Sam Goody's regular prices, but its still higher). I bet you could have gotten stuff there cheaper the day before the Going out of Business sale than you could the first few days of the sale. But of course, idiots flock to a GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE 30-50% OFF!!! Also, of course, the cheapest, hardest to move stuff is always the stuff with 50% off at first, and although that might be a deal, I bet you could probably find stuff like that cheaper elsewhere anyway.

I went to mall tonite and went to Sam Goody, picked up Hardcore Homecoming for $11.97

They are clearancing out like a mofo, i'm picking up a TV and PC Cart ($30 total) tommorow.

I got seasons 3, 5 and 6 of Stargate SG-1, if only because, if I waited, they would have been gone. My store said that there last day was the 23rd; I'll head back then to see what's left.

Is this really all that surprising? Let's face it, Suncoast has been a joke for the past few years now. I used to go there all the time in order to pick up old movies or other less notable flicks that regular mainstream stores didn't carry. For some idiotic reason Suncoast decided not to carry as much older or obscure stuff, thus 90% of what they sold was just new DVDs at much higher prices than you can get at Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc. In short, they managed to kill whatever interest I had in them by selling essentially the same stuff that can be found anywhere else, and selling it for more $$$.

The Sam Goody at the mall I work at is shutting down but the Suncoast is up and running. I got some pretty nice bass strings from Sam Goody for $5 after the discount.

Guest Cactus

damn...I don't think I've had a Sam Goody or Suncoast here for like 5 years or something. All I see is Best Buy, FYE, Target...and that's pretty much it around here.

The mall at which I stop by for lunch after classes is shutting down the Sam Goody soon. Strangely enough, the Suncoast is still in operation from what I can tell. The discounts at Sam Goody are at 30% right now, but the prices are still high even with the so-called discount. I'll wait for them to hit the final 50% off stretch before making my next round.

If I make a purchase then, it'll be the first time I will have bought something from a Sam Goody.

Ced, let me guess this is sunrise right?

It always amazed me how this company managed to stay in business for as long as it did. I used to to work a Sam Goody that was within walking distance of a Target. As usual, Sam Goody would sell the same cd that Target had at $11.99, for $19.99.

I got my answer to how those stores stay open, when I saw the amount of older people that will come in there and blindly buy whatever that store hocks at them because they like how nowledgeable the majority of the staff is. I'm sorry but knowledgable or not, I don't have a lot of disposable income and I buy from the cheapest place that I can.

Fuck... They're not closing the one here, but they are closing the store in my hometown of Springfield, Illinois. Actually, that kind of sucks, because last I checked, 3 of my friends worked there.

I have to agree with that it is still cheaper for the most part at other places. I got a couple things pretty cheap though, so I just picked them up at a Sam Goody closing. Now, one Suncoast near me is staying open and I had gotten that Replay card when I ended up buying a system one day, so I tried to use my card and they said you can't use it at closing stores. I don't get why that is necessary, but oh well.

The Sam Goody in the mall I work at has marked the discount percentage to 30-60% So, since I get paid tomorrow, I will probably pick up some movies.

Oh yea, for some reason, this Sam Goody also has a stack of Jason X on VHS for $1.99 each. Im not talking about 2 or 3 copies, I mean in the neighborhood of 40 or 50.

Haws, it's funny you mention the "knowledgable staff" of Suncoast and Sam Goody. I'm not so sure about Sam Goody since I never went in there much, but Suncoast? Biggest retards I've ever dealt with. Here are the 3 crowning moments of idiocy from my trips to Suncoast:

--I called asking about the old horror movie Murders in the Zoo (which had just come out on video that week). They had no clue, never heard of it. So I go to the store anyway and sure enough it's right there in the NEW RELEASE section! If I hadn't gone down there, I'd have gone somewhere else for it and they would have lost a sale.

--At another Suncoast I remembered seeing a highly rare VHS tape of Gold Diggers of 1933. Long out of print. So I called them and asked, they had no clue about it, hadn't heard of it. So I went to THAT store and of course went to the exact place I remember and sure enough there it was.

--The crowning moment: Once I was looking at DVDs at Suncoast and asked about a particular movie, I forget what. Maybe just Last Boy Scout or something. The guy said "We don't get so much of the older titles, such as the original Scarface with AL PACINO."

I mean what the fuck?

The one near me is closing down but there sell is only 20 to 40 percent off. Maybe it went up this week? Because of the sell through I got some TNA dvds and Batman the animated series volume 3 for pretty good prices. I wanted kids in the hall volume 3 but 20% off something thats 54 bucks isn't that good.

Haws, it's funny you mention the "knowledgable staff" of Suncoast and Sam Goody.

Guess I should've put knowledgeable in quotes. Didn't mean it literally. I did my best to keep up-to-date with Rock/Alternative, but the rest of the staff was pretty much single-minded. The manager, an old hippy guy, only listened to raggae and knew jack shit about much else, and the assistant manager didnt know what you were talking about if you didnt ask for Percy Sledge or Leela James (or however the fuck you spell her name). Needless to say, that company is getting everything that it had coming.

I used to buy at those stores untill I realized it was cheaper elsewhere (though suncoast and SG used to sell older wrestling vhs tapes for a while at decent prices , such as the times I picked up wcw Starrcade 93 and spring stampede 94 for just 11.95 each) I did buy the wm legacy vhs set at SG for 149 bucks back in the day.

though I will admit to buying there recent;y benoit and foley sets there cuz it was basically impulse and I figured what the hell (plus I bought rvds at coast there cuz they had it for 24.95 while Best had it for 23.97 so it was only a buck more

my old neighbor in CA called me the other day and told me about the sale (they're closing down just SG at Pacific View Mall in Ventura, the suncoast apparantly is going to stay according to that website)and he got some cds cheaper.

Sucoast has been gone from the mall I go to for a few years now and FYE took over the spot Sam Goody was in.

Another overpriced chain takes over for another...gee, I wonder why I usually go to the indie stores or iTunes for my music.

I think even if some Suncoasts arent going out of business, they are still having those sales right now across the board as they may be trying to simplify and downgrade their overall inventory in their stores that are even going to still be up and running. For example, was at the Suncoast at Mall of America yesterday and there was ridiculous deals all over the place there (30-50 percent off if not more) but an employee there guaranteed they arent going out of business.

Am pissed since Suncoast was basically the only place in my area with movie related figures and now they shut down here in Mankato. Damn.

Haws, it's funny you mention the "knowledgable staff" of Suncoast and Sam Goody. I'm not so sure about Sam Goody since I never went in there much, but Suncoast? Biggest retards I've ever dealt with. Here are the 3 crowning moments of idiocy from my trips to Suncoast:

--I called asking about the old horror movie Murders in the Zoo (which had just come out on video that week). They had no clue, never heard of it. So I go to the store anyway and sure enough it's right there in the NEW RELEASE section! If I hadn't gone down there, I'd have gone somewhere else for it and they would have lost a sale.

--At another Suncoast I remembered seeing a highly rare VHS tape of Gold Diggers of 1933. Long out of print. So I called them and asked, they had no clue about it, hadn't heard of it. So I went to THAT store and of course went to the exact place I remember and sure enough there it was.

--The crowning moment: Once I was looking at DVDs at Suncoast and asked about a particular movie, I forget what. Maybe just Last Boy Scout or something. The guy said "We don't get so much of the older titles, such as the original Scarface with AL PACINO."

I mean what the fuck?

Yeah, that's true. And while I would expect it a little more on older movies, I've had it happen on brand new stuff too. A couple weeks ago when Thumbsucker came out, I was in the mall so I figured I'd see if they had it. They had no clue what I was talking about and couldn't give me any info, other than telling me it wasn't out yet, when it had been released that day.

Is this really all that surprising? Let's face it, Suncoast has been a joke for the past few years now. I used to go there all the time in order to pick up old movies or other less notable flicks that regular mainstream stores didn't carry. For some idiotic reason Suncoast decided not to carry as much older or obscure stuff, thus 90% of what they sold was just new DVDs at much higher prices than you can get at Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc. In short, they managed to kill whatever interest I had in them by selling essentially the same stuff that can be found anywhere else, and selling it for more $$$.

I used to buy at those stores untill I realized it was cheaper elsewhere

Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I never really liked Suncoast that much, but I would check it out just to see what was new whenever my friends and I would head to the mall. I never really bought there except for old wrestling DVDs if they were still in stock and I wouldn't buy a movie on DVD unless Best Buy or Super Wal-Mart didn't have it.

Edit : Yeah I just called and the Suncoasts in my area aren't affected by this, FUCK!

- Deon