TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

OAO No Way Out Thread, Feb/19th/2006

Guest Ransome
Next topic is Ankle Lock 03. Taker is not the first to escape it. Shawn did it during the ironman they had. But it is a very good spot because it usually does mean the end of the match, so I must admit when Taker escaped it I was thinking he may very well win this match.

For the record, Brock also escaped Angle's 'heel hook' by dragging him to the ropes in the WM XIX main event.

I caught the pay-per-view today, and the main event was indeed excellent. Thankfully, they spared us the overused main event run-in/DQ and Undertaker took his first 'clean' pinfall in years. The rest of the card was average, and doesn't exactly fill me with optimism for WM 22. Orton vs Rey was heatless, as though everybody in the arena knew what the finish would be, and at this stage, I can't see how they could possibly attempt to evoke interest for Angle vs Orton at WM.

I can't see how they could possibly attempt to evoke interest for Angle vs Orton at WM.

WWE will once again attempt to give Randy Orton cheap heat by talking shit about Kurt Angle's late father and vowing to end Kurt's career by breaking his neck once again. Ugh.

People are highly overrating the Rey loss. He wasn't buried in the least bit. That's just looking for something that isn't there. Everyone and their mother knows he's winning the world title this year, so all this "he's getting buried" shit is just the typical Smark nonsense...

As for the PPV:

It was a solid show, carried by the EXCELLENT Mainevent, with a decent enough undercard to be a worthwhile watch. I don't think I'd have Lashley job to JBL, but he's clearly not ready for a big push. He's not explosive as a Goldberg and he's nowhere near a Lesner in terms of wrestling, and he's not particularly good on the mic, and he's somewhat over, but not enough to justify pushing him to the moon right now. A feud with Finlay is a good decision, he should spend more time in the midcard before being elevated.

Randy Orton winning wasn't the highlight of my night either, but I'm sure they're gonna try to swing this into a three-way some how. And the commentator's reaction was good to express the dissappointment in Orton winning not Rey losing necessarily. The whole night was about how Orton is an asshole, not how Rey is an idiot and a loser. Tazz and Cole stated he has to feel like he let the Guerrero family and himself down. How is that a burial? It's completely accurate. And Cole does mention that Orton cheated to win.

I know alot of people had mixed reaction to the mainevent, but it was the match of the year to me so far (And yes I saw TNA's last PPV with the three-way), and the ending sequence was done superbly. The semi false-finish has me believing they'll have a rematch on Smack!down sometime before WM to set up for a Undertaker/Henry match. And extra thumbs up to them for not having Henry interfer or a Ref bump.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Best part of the show was one of the people i went to watch it at the bar with tried convincing me that Batista's injury is a cover up and he was really taken off the air because of Melina charging him for rape.

Best part of the show was one of the people i went to watch it at the bar with tried convincing me that Batista's injury is a cover up and he was really taken off the air because of Melina charging him for rape.

reminds of the near brawl i got into with a mark way back in 97 during HBK's "lost smile" phase as we were standing in line for a Raw event.

What a main event! I agree with the poster who said it was the best match of the year so far. Rey/Orton was expected. I'm glad they chose Tatanka for the Hardy match(he's better than Animal). Cruserweight match was ok. Beniot/Booker was good.

Overall, A solid PPV

Cole and Tazz really called him an idiot?

They said something along the lines of "he must feel like a fool for putting the shot on the line"

rey heel trurn?

I see Chavo jumping back to SD and turning heel on him for letting Eddie down, more than anything...he'll come in saying if it was him he would have won, yadda yadda...there's your WM match...yay...

Maybe Rey can blame the whole thing on Eddie, saying he didn't lose but Eddie turned his back on him and made him lose. And start calling Eddie worthless and being glad he's dead.

Then Benoit can kick his ass for it.

In regards to the promos:

Angle didn't have to release the hold while he was getting kicked in the face. If he believed he had the hold locked -and this is his big move- he could have continued to take the punishment. For Taker to not know what was happening and continuing to keep the hold on, it doesn't really make sense. So he must've figured Angle would go out in the time the ref was making the pin count - he risked it. The theme is sacrifice. That theme, however, wouldn't become clear until they reinforced it with promos.

Guest Princess Leena

I'd rather have Rey in a filler match early on than in the title match. That way when he stupidly points to Eddy in the sky about 37 times, I won't have to watch it. And I want Randall to have a year-long title run... in which he slowly gains back the praise of all you fickle fans.

Fortunately for us, your hormones are not on the WWE booking committee.

And fortunately, neither are the certain types here that are enthralled with OMG STIFF. Angle/Taker is the bestest match ever because there was submission moves like I see in another company. I watch more wrestling than you. I'm right. You're wrong. You're stupid.

It's very weird feeling stoked about a wrestling match, I've gotta say. HHH, Big Show and RVD are probably going to be feeling the pressure like motherfuckers if they saw last night's main event, which I'm sure they did.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

I'd rather have Rey in a filler match early on than in the title match. That way when he stupidly points to Eddy in the sky about 37 times, I won't have to watch it. And I want Randall to have a year-long title run... in which he slowly gains back the praise of all you fickle fans.

Fortunately for us, your hormones are not on the WWE booking committee.

And fortunately, neither are the certain types here that are enthralled with OMG STIFF. Angle/Taker is the bestest match ever because there was submission moves like I see in another company. I watch more wrestling than you. I'm right. You're wrong. You're stupid.

I watch WWE almost exclusively. I may see a TNA iMpact once every three months. I've enever seen a MMA show. That was a fucking awesome match, because it was built up brilliantly with intelligent spots, told a great story, and had an awesome five or ten minute ending sequence. It happened to be focussed around submissions, yes, but that's not necessarily why it was good. More importantly, than almost anything, I really believed during that ending sequence that the Undertaker might win. And I knew he wasn't going to. But they worked such a brilliant match that they had me doubting that.

That's why the match was awesome.

I don't think I've even ever talked about how awesome Takers triangle choke was.

Which reminds me.

That was a fucking AWESOME triangle choke. Most guys forget to bring the foot to the back of the knee, but Taker did. There wasn't much space between there, it looked GOOD. Minotaker~!

Rudo, Taker would have to be a complete fucking idiot to have realized he was being pinned and held the hold anyway thinking "surely Angle will pass out in the next three seconds, AND hopefully the ref notices this as he is counting my shoulders down." And even if he did think that, why did he get up and start celebrating like he had won? According to your theory he was completely aware of what was going on so he would have to have known the ref counted his shoulders down for the 3 count.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

The one thing is, I have to assume that Taker and Kurt vetoed a Mark Henry run-in with a "Just let us have a match" plea to Vince, and they had such a god damn fucking awesome match that things may have totally changed.

Matt Hughes vs. Carlos Newton, Newton held on to the triangle choke while put up against the cage in a powerbomb position. He should have let go because he risked getting slammed, he didn't. Why? Because the hold was sunk in. The triangle choke is deadly. I've been in one and I tapped immediately because you feel the pressure immediately. He kept the hold on and Hughes powerbomed him and knocked him out. Hughes was out too. It's pretty insidious because it's a blood choke rather than an air choke and many times with these kinds of chokes it takes a few seconds to figure out if your opponent is unconcious or not.

So if someone had to choose between ordering a replay of this PPV and a replay of the last TNA PPV, which one should he get?

Get the TNA PPV, download Taker/Angle or buy the DVD. No Way Out was pretty bad till the main event.

Matt Hughes vs. Carlos Newton, Newton held on to the triangle choke while put up against the cage in a powerbomb position. He should have let go because he risked getting slammed, he didn't. Why? Because the hold was sunk in. The triangle choke is deadly. I've been in one and I tapped immediately because you feel the pressure immediately. He kept the hold on and Hughes powerbomed him and knocked him out. Hughes was out too. It's pretty insidious because it's a blood choke rather than an air choke and many times with these kinds of chokes it takes a few seconds to figure out if your opponent is unconcious or not.

As an MMA fan you realize this, but I'd venture to say that most WWE fans will end up thinking that Taker's an idiot for not letting go of the hold when he was getting pinned. I guess it's also a little bit unfair to compare a legit triangle choke against a worked one, but unless Taz or Cole put over the move in such a way, they didn't do enough to make the point clear.

is there any reason why they DON'T do more MMA related things? I.E. when chinlocks and armlocks are applied (restholds, basically), why does the victim just kinda lay there and take it? I mean at least make it look like you're trying to get out of it...I know, the non-kayfabe reason is so that the wrestlers can take a breather.

That's fine because there was the risk of being powerbombed. Taker WAS being pinned. If he knew he was being pinned, he had to either let it go and escape the pin or hold onto it and get pinned. There is no inbetween. He was in a losing situation. He could either release it and fight on or lose the match. There is no way he could have rationally thought he could get the win before being pinned.

You also have yet to address the fact that if he did know what was going on why did he get up and start celebrating as though he had won the match?

As an MMA fan you realize this, but I'd venture to say that most WWE fans will end up thinking that Taker's an idiot for not letting go of the hold when he was getting pinned. I guess it's also a little bit unfair to compare a legit triangle choke against a worked one, but unless Taz or Cole put over the move in such a way, they didn't do enough to make the point clear.

This is why I think promos are needed to explain the finish further. Tazz tried to put over the triangle choke, but since they can't directly say "UFC" or "PRIDE" and I guess "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" too, he stumbled over his words a lot.

Angle was OUT. They showed him out after the match. Taker was justified in thinking he had won because of this fact. "Yes, there was a three count, but he was out too". If he let go, he'd give Angle a chance to recover. He waited all match to sink the choke in, he couldn't finish him with any other of his moves because Angle kept reversing them into the anklelock. He celebrated because he saw that Angle was outcold.

Wait a second....what?