TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Autistic HS Senior basketball player

It was the basketball equivalent of when school let the retarded kid try and score a TD after they'd already run up the score, and then he went into the wrong endzone

...actually this is nothing like that

So it wasn't in a regulation game or something?

The news reports I saw made it seem like this was in a real game or something.

This is just stupid then. Basically it's "autistic kid does shoot around".

No, it was a real game. The coach just gave him a jersey before the game just because. He added him to the roster for the final game just to add him to the roster. So he went on the court, the other team and coaches were in on the little dream and just let him shot. Watch the video, the other team doesn't even try to guard him.

He was the team's student manager and the coach gave him a jersey. Not even worth the effort it would take to foul him then.

I didn't see anything about the other team letting him drop them. You guys are assuming. Maybe the other team was that bad.

It's a high school game, you shouldn't encourage kids to break rules to win a game by playing "hard" and fouling the guy. This isn't the NBA, there's a difference between playing tough D and being an asshole. In my opinion things like that have no place in high school sports.

He seems like he has a mild case of autism. Doesn't seem like it would make his life that much harder to live or anything.

Got it. I saw some news clip where they just showed him making baskets and the crowd going apeshit and then the commentators were putting it over as this huge feel good moment.

Now that I have the real context, I'm mad I wasted any time in this thread.

I didn't see anything about the other team letting him drop them. You guys are assuming. Maybe the other team was that bad.

It's a high school game, you shouldn't encourage kids to break rules to win a game by playing "hard" and fouling the guy. This isn't the NBA, there's a difference between playing tough D and being an asshole. In my opinion things like that have no place in high school sports.

He seems like he has a mild case of autism. Doesn't seem like it would make his life that much harder to live or anything.

Like I said, I have different versions between hard foul and the rough play. I've seen both covering high school games where I can say, "hard foul" and "cheap shot". I'm not advocating cheap shot a player cause that's bull, but a foul where a kid goes down when you are trying to block the ball isn't severe. Clearing that up. Hell, talking to lots of high school players they love the hard foul cause it pumps them up and feel more into the game. Makes em feel like a player.

Plus it just appeared the other team wasn't even trying. Not that I can blame them now, looks like they were getting slaughtered anyway.

And yeah, he's a highly functioning autistic and I didn't see anything wrong with him in the interviews. Just seemed like a high school boy getting way too much press. After seeing him shoot, my other question is why wasn't he on the team at the start of the season? Kid can shoot threes like that, maybe he should have been on the team from the start

It probably was a feel good moment. The crowd did pop for the kid, so why fucking not let him have one moment of glory. Even if his autism is mild, he has enough fucking challenges in his life, let him at least have this one good memory.

I think most of my anger is coming from the fact I have some kind of mood altering meds in my system used for the disease I have that aren't working on helping my condition.

It honestly is a cute little moment. I gotta call my doctor, these pills really suck. The early morning "stab myself with a knife" depression was bad enough. Course I do love they make me angry at an autistic kid getting press, that's kinda funny.

If I was on the oppossing team I would have been sticking on him 100% after the 2nd 3. Going in I'd feel like a total dick if I went all out against him, but as soon as it's apparant he had game I'd feel like a bitch getting schooled by an autistic kid, plus it shows he's way above your pitty so suck it up and play some D.

I think most of my anger is coming from the fact I have some kind of mood altering meds in my system used for the disease I have that aren't working on helping my condition.

It honestly is a cute little moment. I gotta call my doctor, these pills really suck. The early morning "stab myself with a knife" depression was bad enough. Course I do love they make me angry at an autistic kid getting press, that's kinda funny.

mike-tyson40.jpg

"That's why I'm on the Zoloft. To keep me from killin' y'all."

mike-tyson40.jpg

"That's why I'm on the Zoloft. To keep me from killin' y'all."

I hear ya man. I officially stopped taking the meds tonight. Another failed drug. Zoloft sounds yummy though!

Great story on the one hand...it takes some serious nuts to be able to drain 3s like that. That being said...I'm playing some hard D after about the 2nd or the 3rd 3. You don't have to knock his ass onto the floor, but be playing some hard-core phone booth D. Make him smell what you ate for lunch on your breath...let's see if this kid has game. He obviously does if he hit 6 treys.

Guest Evolution

If 79-43 was the last score, and if his stats are correct, that means it was around 59-43 when he was put in the game.

After the second three-pointer, if we're not answering with points of our own, I'm letting the kid shoot.

EDIT: Think the guy "guarding" him could get tail someday down the road by saying "Yeah, I was the guy who let that dude shoot his heart out."?

Who in the world even attempts to defend a kid with autism? What are you playing for, the NBA Championship? It's a goddamn varsity basketball game. These are kids that live and die on their high school reputation. Your ass would be booed out of the building by both teams for d'ing him up. Your school, from the faculty to your peers, would treat you like crap for the rest of the year.

It's not worth it to simply say you held a mildly-retarded student manager to eleven points in a two-minute span.

Guest Vitamin X

Surprised this became a national story, I just saw this on the local news here in South Florida last night. The guy didn't look more autistic than any other retarded high school basketball jock. Or Bill Walton.

I doubt anyone talking shit on this kid could stroke it like he did in that game....so please shut the fuck up. 2Gold, I don't care if you're emo depressed and need to take drugs...you're a miserable asshole. An autistic kid found the zone...it was awesome....love it....I can't believe people want to get down on him. If you can't watch that clip and feel super happy for that kid you have no soul.

And if you watch the clip, no fucking way was the other team just letting him score out of sympathy. They were down double digits at the end of the 2nd half....this is Rochester, NY high school ball.....if you've ever watched high school basketball you can tell that the defenders weren't just letting him score at will....they were 'playing d' but they're just mediocre high school kids out on the court during a game they'd already lost....you can't expect them to be Kobe stoppers.

Guest Rrrsh

Leena and 2GOLD are aweful people and if I ever encountered people like them on my team when I coach, I would cut thier asses so fast.

Just pathetic.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'd elbow him in the mouth, because that's all I can do on a basketball court. Box out and goon.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm kidding, I wouldn't elbow him because it's all I can do, it's because I hate tards.

Basketball is damn sure a contact sport.

Since when? You're not allowed to touch your opponent the last time I played it.

You may not be allowed to touch them, but it doesn't prevent players from doing so.

Just ask anyone guarding Karl Malone, if basketball isn't a contact sport.

Guest Princess Leena
I doubt anyone talking shit on this kid could stroke it like he did in that game....so please shut the fuck up.

Shooting wide open, uncontested 3's? Not that hard, dude. Anyone who's on a hot shooting streak can do the same.

And if you watch the clip, no fucking way was the other team just letting him score out of sympathy. They were down double digits at the end of the 2nd half....this is Rochester, NY high school ball.....if you've ever watched high school basketball you can tell that the defenders weren't just letting him score at will....they were 'playing d' but they're just mediocre high school kids out on the court during a game they'd already lost....you can't expect them to be Kobe stoppers.

Did you even watch the clip?? I think after like the 4th 3-pointer he made... I wouldn't be standing 5 feet away from him, and half-assed raise my arm in the air like I'm defending him.

Leena and 2GOLD are aweful people and if I ever encountered people like them on my team when I coach, I would cut thier asses so fast.

Just pathetic.

Then you'll never be a successful coach. If this was like little league, where the point is to get all the kids on the field and eat ice cream afterwards, then fine. In high school, it's a competitive sport. Yes, I know it's not the most important sporting event in the world... but, it's still competition. And fixing competition goes against the entire fabric of sport.

I just don't see what's so bad about playing legit basketball against the kid. Who's to say he couldn't have shot just as well against true defense? That would mean a hell of a lot more then virtually stopping the game to let the retard score, and we all go "Awwww!".

Who in the world even attempts to defend a kid with autism?

I wasn't thinking defense when I saw that at first... thinking it was starting to get a little bit harsher.

I haven't seen it yet, but they did show a brief clip on ESPN during the Celtics/Lakers game or Knight School saying "Tune in for the Feel Good Story of the Year".