TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

One of the few game series that can offer more than another excuse to feed couch addiction and stare blankly at another generic game. Free form and fantasy inducing in healthy ways. They deserve your money, in my opinion.

Relevant info before the launch.

Specs:

* PC System Requirements

o Minimum:

+ Windows XP

+ 512MB System RAM

+ 2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

+ 128MB Direct3D compatable video card

+ DirectX 9.0 compatable driver

+ 8x DVD-ROM drive

+ 4.6 GB free hard drive space

+ DirectX 9.0c (included)

+ DirectX 8.1 compatable sound card

+ Keyboard, Mouse

o Recommended:

+ 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

+ 1 GB System RAM

+ ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

o Supported Video Card Chipsets:

+ ATI X1900 series

+ ATI X1800 series

+ ATI X1600 series

+ ATI X1300 series

+ ATI X850 series

+ ATI X800 series

+ ATI X700 series

+ ATI X600 series

+ ATI Radeon 9800 series

+ ATI Radeon 9700 series

+ ATI Radeon 9600 series

+ ATI Radeon 9500 series

+ ATI Radeon 9000 series

+ NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series

+ NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

+ NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series

+ NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series

+ NVIDIA GeForce FX series

hit this link up to see if your system will run it properly

http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest

Traillers

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1688

The gates open monday.

That's odd. I see that the ATI Radeon 9000 Video Card, which I have, is apparently supported, but when I ran that test and looked under minimum requirements, it tells me that I wont be able to run it with the card I have. Which makes me sad, since I really want this game. :(

Isn't the 9000 a 64mb video card? Or were there a couple of 128mb versions? Either way I think that card came out in '01 or '02 so if it can handle Oblivion, it will probably play in some sort of dumbed down mode, no shaders, adv. lighting, et al.

Guest Princess Leena

Damn, those are some beefy specs needed for this game. Surprising, since the last Morrowind was ugly, to say the least. I'll get it for 360 eventually.

I'm thinking about it for the 360 but I'm also thinking about getting Final Fantasy XI for the 360 when it releases next month, espically after I've been playing the beta since it was released with the magazine. I'm still 50/50 on it.

So uhhh, anyone picked it up yet? Any impressions? I've gotta leave early for work and pick mine up on Thursday, since my Gamestop didn't get their shipment in until after I was at work.

Any thoughta at all on it? Bueller? Frye?

So uhhh, anyone picked it up yet? Any impressions? I've gotta leave early for work and pick mine up on Thursday, since my Gamestop didn't get their shipment in until after I was at work.

Any thoughta at all on it? Bueller? Frye?

I picked it up but only played it for about an hour. I'll play more later.

I'm not sure I am for or against the in game compass for searching for your spots or people in quests. Kinda takes away from the exploration point of things. The graphics are dandy but they sure do make my system cry. Not to mention claiming the life of a monitor. None of the items I've seen seem to have that special feeling like the Umbra Sword et al, but that's a small quibble. The interface is maddening since I'm on PC and it's obviously catered to the console crowd.

Basic first impressions are that you could actually be just fine sticking with Morrowind as a first time Elder Scrolls player for the role play elements. Oblivion basically adds that along with some very fun eye candy. Strikes me as a bit of a grower I think.

I played it for a while at GameCrazy. As a first time player, I thought it was a fun game. I spent most my time pickpocketing and robbing people blind.

I'm doing as many of the sidequests as I can before I do the main quest. A lot of finding stuff, a little fighting. Done most of the mage and Dark Brotherhood quests, still got the thief and fighter quests to go.

Guest Princess Leena

It must be different than Morrowind, then. Because almost all first time players absolutely hate Morrowind, until they get a few hours in and it sucks away their life.

I've played for a few hours and its ok. I'm taking my sweet time with the game mainly because I have trouble getting into games like this......plus Far Cry comes out tomorrow and I sorta want to shoot a lot of people :D

I'm playing it right now on Xbox360. I'm kinda struggling to make any money to buy new stuff and get dudes to train me though? What's a quick way to rack up some cheddar when I'm only a Level 3 fighter guy?

Today, I played Oblivion for six hours straight. I developed a head rush when I arose from my chair.

It was worth it, though. I finished the Thieves Guild quest.

I'm writing a review of the game for my college newspaper, so I have lost my life.

I beat the entire Arena sub-quest using only hand-to-hand combat (Level 9 Custom Class, FYI). Knocking down a guy and killing him on the ground with the ol' Ground 'n' Pound made my day complete.

I've gotten all of the achievement points for the game.

I still have a handful of sidequests to do...but I've pretty much beaten it.

This game is very, very good.

I don't think it's KOTOR good, but they are different kinds of RPGs.

It made me keep coming back for LONG sessions until I beat it.

Very good game.

The Dark Brotherhood is awesome and is worth the money right there. The quests are brilliant, like the Agatha Christie style "Trapped in Mansion" quest, the Purification (I was sad), the Draconis family ("Your mother bled like a pig"). And entering the Lighthouse Cellar, wow. So much greatness right there.

The rest of the quests seem pretty bland in comparison.

Finished the Dark Brotherhood, Arena, and Fighter subquests. Almost done with the Mage quests, but I just can't get into the Thief ones. Can't really figure out why. Also done all the city sidequests except for the Imperial City. I hate scavenger hunting in games, so I'm not doing the Ninroot quest except to get the bare minimum and turn them in. If I happen to find one while I'm walking around, great.

As for the main quest, I've evac'd Martin and now Oblivion Gates are popping up all over the place. Kinda fun going in and shutting them down.

As for my equipment, since I'm a Nord fighter (but a custom class, threw in a little magic and sneak/security) I'm able to carry a complete set of Daedric armor and a couple of shielding rings along with a shield that reflects damage. It's fun turtling when I'm faced by 2 or 3 opponents and watch them beat themselves to death against my shield (since my Block level's high enough that my shield doesn't get damaged during battles). I'm also carrying around a Daedric Bow and sword, along with a variety of spells and potions.

All in all, I think I'm doing pretty well at level 21. Can take almost anything (except I still hate those damn Will O' the Wisps. Those things piss me off).

Guest Quality Poster
I just can't get into the Thief ones. Can't really figure out why.

Get any beggar's disposition up to 70 and chat them up on the Gray Fox

I'm not doing the Ninroot quest except to get the bare minimum and turn them in. If I happen to find one while I'm walking around, great.

They're pretty easy to find on shores

I just can't get into the Thief ones. Can't really figure out why.

Get any beggar's disposition up to 70 and chat them up on the Gray Fox

By "get into" the thief series, I meant I just don't feel like doing them. I've done the first couple and they didn't really appeal to me. Decided to work on the Daedric shrine quests instead.

BUMP

I'm going to be getting a 360 and this game soon, I'd like a short explanation on how good this game is, if anyone will oblige.

So has anyone else picked this up recently?

I got mine about a month ago, I would say.

I've made three characters so far, and I think I'll probably make a fourth.

They're all custom classes, but I've got a Nord fighter, A Khajit Thief/Archer/H2H, and a highelf mage.

Lets be honest though, I really feel destined to make a fourth character to take advantage of the Dark Brotherhood quests. I just can't decide whether to use a Dark Elf, or possibly a redguard.

I had the most success with a Dark Elf in Morrowind, but that might be because everyone in that are would get along with you better :)

I made a Redguard assassin type. The Brotherhood quests are quite fun, make the rest of the game seem kind of pointless. I don't think I progressed through the main story at all after the Brotherhood. I think that Kvatch is actually still under siege.

Anyone think the main quest is worth playing?