TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CheesalaIsGood

The Da Vinci Code

It's sitting at a big fat 0% at RT so far with seven reviews counted. Is it possible that fucking See No Evil could end up with a better RT rating than The Da Vinci Code?

:lol:

I'm really going to enjoy the backlash of Da Vinci, this will really be fun.

I've got a free pass for both flicks. I'm up for checking out SNE for free, but not so much for DVC. I've never really been all that interested in it anyway, not the book or the movie.

I just find it funny that I've heard some people saying that this could be a huge contender for awards and shit, and here we are nearing release day and it's getting destroyed by critics. I can't really remember the last time we've had a case just like this.

It happens every year in the holidays, there's always those one or two prestige pics that get shit on.

Hell, the last Ron Howard movie had the same thing, even though it did get good reviews.

I don't think anyone was predicting DaVinci to win a lot of awards, since it was being released in May, I just think people are expecting Sony to make an ungodly amount of money from it.

The general concensus of the reviews I've seen have the movie as "good", but not "great", which, to tell you the truth, is exactly what I expected. It should be a fun summer movie, but nothing close to award winning.

It happens every year in the holidays, there's always those one or two prestige pics that get shit on.

Ok, so name the flicks over the past few years that had people talking in a big way, some even talking major award consideration, and the movie ended up getting shit on when the reviews came in (not just talking about no awards being given to it in the end).

Jarhead. Although critics generally liked it, the movie didn't do that great at the box office IIRC and it didn't get the Oscar nom's people thought it would get.

Memoirs of a Geisha, that's the best pick. I remember a ton of talk about how it was going to be a huge hit winning award after award, but that was not to be. Jarhead did get solid reviews from most critics, and as far as the other flicks, I don't really remember the award talk being all that thick around them.

None of them compare to the hype surrounding The Da Vinci Cod though. I don't see how anyone could have predicted the bad reviews for it like this. It stars Tom Hanks who is usually in solid "big pictures", and Ron Howard direction seemed like a plus. Add that to the fact that the book is over huge with so many people, and you had the makings of a decent flick. A part of me also expected critics to be more gentle on this one than other films, simply because of the subject matter.

Eh, either way, I'll have fun watching the backlash.

EDIT:

I was reading over Ron Howard's work and he's listed as a producer for Beyond the Mat. To what extent was his involvement...and why?

Guest SavageRulz
This shit pisses me off so much. Why are you getting offended when IT IS A WORK OF FICTION?!? IT ISN'T REAL.

I have yet to hear a Catholic say they are offended, but if I do, we are going to have a nice talk.

I think it's an indicator of our times that people will take a FICTIONAL novel and get all bent our of shape/worked up/their faith changed over it.

IT'S A STORY! By a good author, granted, but just a story.

If you think Dan Brown is a good author, you need to read more books.

*Books not found in airports.

Guest Posada20
Audrey Tatou has big, luscious breasts. She's also Amelieso big points there. Not going to see it.

She doesn't have big breasts at all. I'm more interested in her sweet face and ass anyway.

I'm going to see it anyways since I've never read the book and my friends and family love it, but it sure doesn't look like I'm going to be inspired to read it afterwards judging by these reviews.

I do find it odd that at least going by the trailers that Ian McKellen is going to have two movies coming out in two consecutive weeks where he is essentially playing the same character.

I'm mildly interested in seeing this movie to watch McKellen ham it up really good, plus I often have a soft spot for a decent religion-based yarn (Indy 1 and 3 being the best, I also liked Stigmata). I probably won't go see it but it might earn a download-burn-and-watch from me in the next few weeks.

I know this will be considered sacrilege by some, but I think Jarhead is a better and more sustained film than Full Metal Jacket (which it is often compared to). If R. Lee Ermey had been the DI then it's a no contest.

I've read the various reasons DaVinci Code is supposed to be so controversial....and I don't get it. It's a fictional work. I almost think that Christian and Catholic groups who get up in arms about the book or film just give it all the more press. If they'd ignore it or downplay it, I doubt the movie would make as much money.

I don't understand the controversy either. At my Church they LOVE the DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons. It is probably the most read series of books by people there aside from maybe Harry Potter and Jack Ryan.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Audrey Tatou has big, luscious breasts. She's also Amelieso big points there. Not going to see it.

She doesn't have big breasts at all. I'm more interested in her sweet face and ass anyway.

Audrey%20Tautou%20(libertin).jpg

Guest Posada20

I have Le Libertin on dvd, clearly her tits are pushed up in the outfit she is wearing.

This whole thing illustrates how far gone religious people are. "We'll ignore it's fiction and not presented as otherwise and condemn anyone who sees it, because it means they aren't a good _____." Protest groups are going to be at the theater here that's showing it. Almost makes me want to buy a ticket just for that.

I don't get how people supposedly so secure in their beliefs are getting so flustered by a fictitious book and movie. That would've been like me getting all up in arms when Star Wars was released.

"God did not make no Wookies!"

Guest CurryMan

Well I went to the opening night here the reviews has been really bad in the newspapers over here but I thought the movie was ok. I´m still not very happy with the choice of Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon.

There were somethings that they had left out from the book that annoyed me but overall I was pleased. I would as many other said rather see Angel and Demons as a movie.

I´ll give the movie 3.5/5

I find it really funny that critics are complaining that the movie is like a textbook, with big spots where people are just sitting around talking and there's no action.

Hello, did you *read* the book?