TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANKLELOCK

Ross to Call Raw Matches at Mania

Joey Styles has been dealt a huge blow as he will not be calling the Raw matches for Wrestlemania even though he is the lead Raw announcer. The announcer taking Joey Styles place as the lead Raw announcer at Wrestlemania will be none other than Jim Ross. They were both informed of this news on Monday.

As late as two days ago, Jim Ross assumed his role during Wrestlemania weekend would be to host the Hall of Fame banquet. It was announced on Raw last night that Jerry "The King" Lawler will be hosting the Hall of Fame banquet.

source: Pro Wrestling Torch

Why?

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

Good...Styles has really been hard to listen to lately. But they really need to get rid of Coach, who is without a doubt one of the worst color commentators in WWE history.

But even with JR, I won't be getting Wrestlemania.

Man I miss the era of Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse Ventura.

One day we will turn on RAW and it'll be JR sitting there with the announcement that you can listen to Styles on HEAT. :( This isn't good news for Styles at all.

I really think that he was allowed to play off one guy and one guy alone he'd shine so much brighter. It seems to me that King and Coach just bicker for all of RAW and Styles puts a comment in hear and there. It kills any character he might have.

Styles is a great commentator, but there's something special about JR. Ross is very eloquent and yet has that relaxed Texas sound. That combination works very well.

It's the same with Howard Finkel. He has a special quality, so they always bring him in to do the ring announcing at Mania

Styles is a great commentator, but there's something special about JR. Ross is very eloquent and yet has that relaxed Texas sound. That combination works very well.

:huh:

They should use that JR-Tazz-Lawler combo for cross-brand PPVs. And regardless of whether you like Joey Styles or not, he's getting hosed here. It would be one thing if JR was coming in to call all the matches, but he's just doing Raw matches? That's an F-U to Styles, and not much more.

Styles really is getting the raw end of the deal here, so to speak. He hasn't been spectacular on commentary, but he certainly isn't the reason the Raw announce team has been garbage since JR left. The reasons for that would be (A) Coach and (B) Making Lawler a face.

If Styles isn't supposed to "just call the moves" yet the face/heel dynamic is covered by the other guys (albeit poorly), then what the hell is Styles supposed to do out there? He's getting scapegoated in a situation where his hands are tied.

Honestly, JR should've never left. I feel bad for Styles, but if I hear him say "backcracker" again, I'm going to vomit.

Calling a match the way WWE wants him to makes him look like a little bitch.

He sounded better calling the matches like he did when he first started.

Yeah, he's on his way out.

They really need to get rid of Coach. He just fucks everything up out there.

I remember Styles and Lawler at Taboo Tuesday were incredible. They made the Flair vs. HHH cage match look about 20x better than it was. It was probably Lawler's best color performance in years and made Styles' WWE career look very promising.

But Jonathan Coachman is seriously a cancer behind that desk.

I think they keep coach just b/c they need a heel announcer. But Styles calling the match while the other two argued was good. Now Styles is trying to interact with them and stooping to their level of comentating just comes off as rediculous.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
Honestly, JR should've never left. I feel bad for Styles, but if I hear him say "backcracker" again, I'm going to vomit.

Its not even that he looks like a bitch. He looks like a dork. Its Michael Cole without Tazz to bury him.

JR is better for WM matches, but it stinks to high hell. I could care less for Joey Styles, but the JR bit kind of gets to me. They did such a hatchet job on JR in October to get him off of TV and embarass the piss out of him, only to bring him back with no real explanation.

There really isn't a good way to bring him back in storyline without it looking completely fucking retarded, but then again they shouldn't have done what they did in October in the first fucking place.

Guest burth179

Styles was great in ECW, but in WWE he isn't anywhere near what he was. It probably isn't all his fault as the Coach blows and Lawler isn't very good either unless he has J.R. or Vinny Mac doing lead commentary. But fact is Styles hasn't been very entertaining at all, he lets the other 2 talk too much for one thing.

I am glad that J.R. is back, I do feel bad for Styles but he's not been very good lately.

Joey Styles, Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan would be a great announce team

for UFC.

Guest stylz

I say the only way for RAW announcing team to be great again is a JR-Dusty Rhodes team...or maybe JR-Dusty-heel Lawler.

J

I don't know why some are blaming Styles here. It was reported about a month ago Vince wanted him to stop calling moves during matches and be more WWE'ish.

Styles was told/threaten to suck.

Dave Meltzer just confirmed that the Raw announce team at Wrestlemania will indeed be Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler, AND Jonathan Coachman, not just Ross and Lawler as previously hoped.

:(

Joey Styles has commented on this on WWE.com:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/stylestalks

"My initial response when I was told on Monday when I arrived at the arena in Omaha was disappointment. That lasted about 30 minutes. I was told in person and I do appreciate that. Probably 30 minutes after that, my ego took over and I felt angry for about an hour. And then after real introspection, I realized I’m not where they need me to be in terms of what the position is. And I think what readers of WWE.com and fans watching at home don’t understand is what the position is: WWE doesn’t have play-by-play men. They may call it a play-by-play man, but what that position really is, is a “lead storyteller.” It’s a completely different animal than what I was trying to do."

"Certainly, 12 months from now when it’s time for WrestleMania 23, I fully expect that I will by then have made the transition to quarterback the RAW announce team for WrestleMania 23," Styles told the WWE website. "But, you know, as I said, initially like anybody else, I was very disappointed because calling WrestleMania has always been my lifelong dream. After that, my ego took over, so I was angry. But they’re sticking with me until I get this — and I’m going to get this — that I’ll call many, many WrestleManias in the future."

I don't fucking want a lead storyteller.

I fucking hate this company sometimes.

I swear, a move caller can make the match better, don't they know that!?

So Styles doesn't get to announce at Mania, but Coach does? That's really sucks dick. Plus, I can't stand Coach. I honestly think he's one of the worse things on Raw.

I fucking hate this company sometimes

Join the club.

Guest JumpinJackFlash
QUOTE(hyperchord24 @ Mar 28 2006, 12:47 PM)

So...reading that made me think of Pulp Fiction and Jules' yelling....I can see it now......(*Imagines*)

Jules: What does Joey Styles look like?

McMahon: I don't know....He's dorky looking

Jules: Go on!

McMahon: He's...white!

Jules: Does he look like a bitch? (*Shoots*)

McMahon: NOOOO!

Jules: Then why'd you try to fuck him like a bitch, Vince?

This is bullshit. They should have done re-done WM 15 and had Styles / Lawler call Wrestlemania until the main event of Cena / HHH with JR coming out to replace Styles instead.