TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
converge241

Wrestlemania 23 at Ford Field Detroit

I don't know how they're going to fill that place. There's nothing that would even come close to a Hogan/Andre or Austin/Rock money match, and I don't see any evidence that creative is up to the task of building one.

I don't know how they're going to fill that place. There's nothing that would even come close to a Hogan/Andre or Austin/Rock money match, and I don't see any evidence that creative is up to the task of building one.

Hulk Hogan vs. Steve Austin

I really hope that match never happens.

I really hope that match never happens.

I don't know, I'd love to see it. The two biggest stars ever in wrestling, I love that. It's one of those pro wrestling illustrated dream matches becoming reality. Plus, Austin would be motivated with the promos, since there's probably still some hard feelings for what happened over in Atlanta.

Guest Human Highlight Reel
I don't know, I'd love to see it. The two biggest stars ever in wrestling, I love that. It's one of those pro wrestling illustrated dream matches becoming reality. Plus, Austin would be motivated with the promos, since there's probably still some hard feelings for what happened over in Atlanta.

But it would all lead up to Austin jobbing to a legdrop, and I really don't want to see that.

I don't know, I'd love to see it. The two biggest stars ever in wrestling, neither of which can take a bump nor job in a meaningful match, I love that.

They had no problem selling out Safeco Field after a lousy 2002. I think filling the place up will require some work but can be done.

They had no problem selling out Safeco Field after a lousy 2002. I think filling the place up will require some work but can be done.

you're right, its mania fans around the world all want to be at Mania so Id say they can do it.

Vince understands that if he were to do a card like Wrestlemania 22 at Ford Field, it would not sell out.

That's why he's going to go with Hogan/Austin a year before the damn event.

Love to see either Rock/Cena or Rock/Michaels as well.

Obviously they will do hogan/austin at wm23 to fill the place and I think it will work.I almost get the feeling vince wrote this wrestlemania off because he knows the real money is in next years wm.

They won't have trouble filling up the building. However, they made it clear they didn't really have plans for WM22....

They need to decide by SummerSlam, what they want for WM23. Hogan/Austin is probably already set for WM23 but you can be sure that we will be seeing alot of political games being played and possible cancelations again.

Right now, I can't predict what will headline WM23 for each brand. If you said "Angle/Orton/Rey" for SD last year...most wouldn't believe it. Cena/HHH, however was obvious but they didn't do anything to build it until 6 weeks ago and gave it generic bland push.

I will make a crazy prediction for the title matches, Kurt Angle Vs Batista III(I assume they will meet twice Batista returns) for Smackdown and Raw? Triple H/Carlito. I say Carlito because I can't think of anyone else left that HHH hasn't put down.

If they're planning to build to Hogan/Austin, they're even more fucked up than I thought they were.

If it was Hogan from 1985 vs. Austin from 1997, and they'd both been regulars in the company for awhile and could make the match mean something, then I might want to see it. But Hogan right now is a walking self-parody, Austin is a shell of his former self and probably wouldn't be all that motivated, especially if Hogan insists on going over (and you know he will), the match would suck quality-wise, and it would be totally meaningless.

Yeah, that would totally be worth seeing.

If they're planning to build to Hogan/Austin, they're even more fucked up than I thought they were.

If it was Hogan from 1985 vs. Austin from 1997, and they'd both been regulars in the company for awhile and could make the match mean something, then I might want to see it. But Hogan right now is a walking self-parody, Austin is a shell of his former self and probably wouldn't be all that motivated, especially if Hogan insists on going over (and you know he will), the match would suck quality-wise, and it would be totally meaningless.

Yeah, that would totally be worth seeing.

Unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve around YOU, and therefore, there's many, many wrestling marks/fans that would spend there hard earned money to see that. Regardless of your apathy towards the match, it's a big draw. One of the only big money matches left in this industry. And definitely the only one that could/will come close to selling out a 65,000+ seat arena nowadays.

The real issue is this, should Austin/Hogan main event? It'll draw the buy-rate and the interests, no question. Should it be given main event placement (the traditional form of main event being final match of the night). It's obviously the headlining match, but should they put this match over the respective title matches? (whatever they may be).

We all remember what happened with Hogan/Rock at WMX8 and how the heat crushed the interest in an already dead match between Jericho and Triple H. Austin/Hogan, the heat would be nuclear. Nothing can really follow that.

They could place it in the mid-card, and slap two piss-break matches after it to calm the crowd down enough for them to get back for the main event. Hogan's payment remains the same, regardless of match placement. The question is...Would those two ego's take a mid-card spot?

BTW, you are insane if you don't believe Hogan/Austin would draw.

Well, the WWE loves to insinuate that the above match will happen at some point, but it doesn't sound like anything is remotely set in stone as of right now. All indications at this point have been that Austin isn't interested in doing the match. Maybe Vince will just throw a bunch of money at both guys to convince them, but we'll see.

Frankly, I am sick of the WWE needing to bring back "legends" constantly to add interest. There shouldn't have to be a reliance on guys like Austin or Hogan to sell out the biggest show of the year. They should have at least a couple guys currently on the roster that they can match up to do it. It just goes to show how they really haven't been able to build up a new Rock or Austin type superstar. Cena doesn't even come close, and his mixed reactions prove it.

We all remember what happened with Hogan/Rock at WMX8 and how the heat crushed the interest in an already dead match between Jericho and Triple H. Austin/Hogan, the heat would be nuclear. Nothing can really follow that.

What was really weird was that WWE put the Women's title match right after Rock/Hogan (I think) and before Jericho/HHH.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Yeah guys Vince figured this was a throw away WM in anticipation to next year. Right.

That's why he had Hogan/Austin lined up for this show until Austin had other commitments (He was supposed to be filming his movie at this point but it was pushed back)

There are many other foolish comments I could tear apart with facts and junk, but I think I'll just head back over to DVD MB

What was really weird was that WWE put the Women's title match right after Rock/Hogan (I think) and before Jericho/HHH.

They wanted the woman's match to calm the crowd down and give them a breather. It was the essential "piss-break" match.

The old manias used to do this alot (putting filler matches in between hot matches and the main event)

Austin vs. Hogan is the biggest match of all time. Of course it goes on last.

We thought that about Hogan/Rock (although that isn't the same level) and they learned their lesson there as well. Besides, unless they get something really hot involving the titles, nothing could close a show like Hogan/Austin. The only thing that would shuffle it from the ME, was if they had an non-finish and that would be insanely stupid anyways.

Guest scottb75

I like the idea of Hogan vs Austin because at this stage of their career it doesn't really matter who wins. This isn't like Rock vs Hogan which was a passing of the torch type match where obviously The Rock had to win. Neither Austin or Hogan have much of a future left in the business. So the question of who wins will be totally up in the air.

Guest Human Highlight Reel
So the question of who wins will be totally up in the air.

You're joking, right?

The sad thing is, symbolically, it's a horrible match because the two most important, popular, drawing guys on that show were the biggest stars of the 80's and 90's... and it's 00's now. It really is an indictment of the current crop of wrestlers and the WWE's failure to create new stars.

The sad thing is, symbolically, it's a horrible match because the two most important, popular, drawing guys on that show were the biggest stars of the 80's and 90's... and it's 00's now. It really is an indictment of the current crop of wrestlers and the WWE's failure to create new stars.

QFT