TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

"Traditonal Fans"

As we all know..The WWE has started calling Smarks...Traditional Fans....I was wondering...Besides Philly, New York, Chicago...What are some other "Traditional" cities...Is Detroit One of them...I think it would be since..they have a pretty good since of History and they got some rowdy fans.....Anywhere where John Cena gets booed to the Car is Great to me..

Guest hasbeen
As we all know..The WWE has started calling Smarks...Traditional Fans....I was wondering...Besides Philly, New York, Chicago...What are some other "Traditional" cities...Is Detroit One of them...I think it would be since..they have a pretty good since of History and they got some rowdy fans.....Anywhere where John Cena gets booed to the Car is Great to me..

Smartass is another word for some fans in cities with major league sports, and that spills over to the wrestling audiences. I've seen too many games when a football player is injured and the host crowd cheers. If a Cena were to break his leg legit how many do you think would cheer for it, just because they don't like his character and ring performances? I guess showing respect for guys trying their best is just out of the question.

I wonder what the excuse is going to be when the next person to get the superface push gets booed also. Rudo's said it over and over again, as well as others: the fans are far more concerned with getting themselves over than being there for the product.

People don't really hate John Cena...they just hate where his CHARACTER is heading to right now. If you were to put Cena back to his old school, battle rapping ways, he would probably get a warm baby face reaction again. Also, if he were to add a fe more moves and some variation to his matches they might actually become watchable!!!

I wonder what the excuse is going to be when the next person to get the superface push gets booed also. Rudo's said it over and over again, as well as others: the fans are far more concerned with getting themselves over than being there for the product.

This is kind of stupid. It's easy to see that there's a big difference from the John Cena that everyone loved from a few years ago and the John Cena of today. His promo against HHH from a few weeks before WM captured everything wrong with his character right now. HHH chewed him out and made him look like a fool for several minutes, and Cena comes back by telling HHH how much he respects him. Why would ANYONE cheer a character like that?

Guest hasbeen

Those really wishing the character would change should just be silent. That's much worse than the boos.

The Rock was in Cena's situation..But he had real Charisma...He held the crowd in the palm of his hand...He could make them cheer and laugh right after they booed him...I think Cena is really affected by it and he brushes it off as I dont care..when really he doesnt have the mic skill to manuver around it....Does that make sense...

This is kind of stupid. It's easy to see that there's a big difference from the John Cena that everyone loved from a few years ago and the John Cena of today. His promo against HHH from a few weeks before WM captured everything wrong with his character right now. HHH chewed him out and made him look like a fool for several minutes, and Cena comes back by telling HHH how much he respects him. Why would ANYONE cheer a character like that?

How many times in the last several years have we heard a crowd shit all over a face?

In my view, with Cena, a lot of it can be explained by the fact that older guys don't like the same thing as teenage girls. Now, what made Cena appeal to that type of fan can be "blamed" for them cheering him, but what makes the backlash is those fans themselves. The people who are booing Cena aren't booing him because his promos are too whitebread or because his act has gotten stale - they boo him because it's not cool to cheer him, because if you cheer him, then you are just like a teenage girl.

Austin and Hogan didn't get this kind of a reaction (but Rock and Orton did) because I don't think you had 14 year old girls screaming out "GO SEXY!" with those two.

Guest CWMwasmurdered

How many times in the last several years have we heard a crowd shit all over a face?

Maybe just MAYBE that might be a hint that the WWE is booking wrong, not that the fans are out to get themselves over? I'm sure there are fans out to just act like asses, but generally it's just people voicing their opinions, I don't see the problem with that. I do see a problem with the WWE ignoring it's fans though.

English crowds tend to be pretty smarky. And we also HATE Cena over here. Raw'll be from London in three weeks. I think it's London anyway.

I think he'll get booed here in London too. The only problem is, because its a house show, it won't air on tv. I would love to see just how international this Cena hate has become.

Guest whizzo

I thought RAW and smackdown were coming from London?

And I think we were one of the first places to boo him back last year aswell.

Guest Human Highlight Reel
In my view, with Cena, a lot of it can be explained by the fact that older guys don't like the same thing as teenage girls. Now, what made Cena appeal to that type of fan can be "blamed" for them cheering him, but what makes the backlash is those fans themselves. The people who are booing Cena aren't booing him because his promos are too whitebread or because his act has gotten stale - they boo him because it's not cool to cheer him, because if you cheer him, then you are just like a teenage girl.

Austin and Hogan didn't get this kind of a reaction (but Rock and Orton did) because I don't think you had 14 year old girls screaming out "GO SEXY!" with those two.

And you know what every single WWE fan is thinking, how? Cena started getting booed when he dominated Jericho, and Angle, men who have a lot of respect with the fans, and people are finally sick of the guy. If it was for the reason you said, he never would have been cheered.

Austin didn't get this kind of reaction because he was a badass character people could get behind (I'm assuming you mean "Stone Cold" Steve Austin). Face Rocky didn't get booed once he found a personality, they were booing him because his character was bland and boring. Like Cena.

I thought RAW and smackdown were coming from London?

No, there just Raw and Smackdown brand house shows.

That a factor, but it's not the dominant factor. If a bland character is shoved down your throat at every turn, you will grow to hate him.

"I guess showing respect for guys trying their best is just out of the question."

What does that have to do with Cena?

How do fans know if an injury is legit? WWE fakes on-camera injuries all the time. Fans at home hear the announcers go into their "Owen voices" when a guy gets a blister on his foot, but live crowds would only get a replay on the titantron. Ever since WWE decide to "work" the X, even that could be faked. WWE jerks fans around sometimes with the "okay, THIS is real...even though it isn't" BS.

If you really despise a guy, though, the best thing you can do is to not react at all. OTOH, it's easier to pump in fake heat than cover up boos.

Here's the thing: with Cena, it was him getting cheers at first - which were from women and children - then boos second, which were from men. How do you explain that other than the guys were reacting to the women cheering? Now, you can explain why the womens cheers were so loud and the mens weren't at first because the guys didn't cheer him because they didn't care about his character because it was bland and stale, but that doesn't explain those boos.

Well, I think Cena was getting cheered by all when he fueded with JBL, 'cause they played off each other really well. When he came over to Raw, he didn't have someone like JBL to give him his character, and he became stale, so people got sick of him. And again, there's the respect factor when he started going over Angle and Jericho.

Cena's getting X-Pac heat. Maybe not I want this guy off my TV, but I want him out the main event scene, kind of heat. If Cena didn't see load of merchandise to kids he'd be completly hurting buisness.

I still think the new in thing for crowds to do is to put over themselves. Like at WM18 the extended TWOOOOOOOOOO chants. And TNA fans cheering "This match rocks" 20 seconds into a stallmate.

Cena is getting booed for three reasons:

1: He is a 2006 form of the Hogan babyface against the edgy(no pun intended) heels of RAW. From Christian, Jericho, Angle, Edge, and Triple H are heels who try to get cheers and thus Cena looks like a dork.

2: His original gimmick is LONG gone and he is LONG stale, and needsa heel turn badly. This isn't X-Pac heat, this is Rocky Mavia heat. Not get off my TV NOW, its boo because why the fuck should I cheer you?

3: Storylines and champions can not reign this long this day and age. Back before the days of RAW, you could have a champion for years. Now it is bad to go beyond 7 months without everyone getting bored of them. Weak underdog champions do not make for good booking either. They make great challengers, horrible champions.

Guest Coffey
..champions can not reign this long this day and age. Back before the days of RAW, you could have a champion for years. Now it is bad to go beyond 7 months without everyone getting bored of them.
That's not true. Big Dave was still over as all hell, even after a disasterous match with JBL. He had the belt for as long as Cena and the crowds didn't turn on him.

Guest Coffey

Not to mention he has subtle charisma, he's laid back, his finisher is credible and he doesn't come off fake in his character.

I must say, Cena's death valley driver is pretty lame. At least sit down on your ass when you're doing it. Never did I think I would ever be glorifying The Godfather's wrestling technique, but his DVD was better.