TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

He also signed a movie deal. I can't wait to see the creative liberties they're going to take.

Someone's got to be the heel. Probably the coach, and the star player for the other team.

Nah, the old staple. The father. Dad is embarassed that his son isn't "right" and tries to hide his own son's existance. Constantly ignores him and hurls disparaging insults to his son when he stands outside trying to shoot a basketball in the pounding rain. All the while, the mother cries "Don't anyone ever tell you, you aren't normal. You understand me?"

Then the coach of the basketball team sees the kid in the gym trying to shoot balls and they form a connection. The other players don't like him, especially the coach's son and star player but after a fun-filled weekend trip where wacky hijinks occur, they decide he wasn't that bad afterall.

Finally, the school protest his being on the team roster and after a heart-warming rally, they give in and allow him to suit up. Cue the final game of the season, which just so happens the head coach's final game. Dramatic close-up shots of him sitting on the bench in amazement.

Then his 15 minutes of fame moment, they fade out with the father behind the bleachers with a lonely tear falling down on his cheeks and he whispers "That's my boy."

Game is over. Crowd celebrates, dad walks through the crowd and a tense staredown followed by a emotional hug and that's all folks.

2% truth, 98% hollywood magic.

The disgruntled dad works. The points need to mean something. Down by 19 points Justin McElwin rises from his wheelchair for the first time, and pulls off the miraculous comeback, winning the state championship.

All that is missing is the kid saying "I'm going to Disneyland!" at the end of the movie and we will be set for production.

Guest JustPassinBy

I hope the kid J-Mac really enjoyed it, but the fact that all the students had the face on a stick for him, and having fire up shot after shot made it seem moe like a "made for ESPN" moment.

So hopefully it is good for the kid, but its definetely gone overboard.

What pisses me off most is the usual media types treating it like a great accomplishment... and tricking those families with autistic/retarded/kids.

He was left alone to shoot outside shots. It was fixed. Anyone with the strength to shoot a basketball 20 feet can do this. There's people in wheelchairs and people in worse condition than McElwain who could do the same thing.

The moral of the story is that we should all feel good for letting this autistic kid be the star of a basketball game.

Fuck that. McElwain would have just as happy if they put him in for a minute, maybe gave him a basket, the crowd cheers and everyone is happy. Not this built up garbage to make it an "amazing" story.

And if people involved with him are continuing this and making a movie out of it... fuck them too. It's disgusting.

Most disabled people want to do things by themself. Handing things to them does not make them happy.

Its hard to hit 6 three points in 3 minutes, I dont care who you are.

There are college players that miss even the wide open ones.

If you watch the tape, he was shooting from 25 feet. Most people arent going to guard you that far out anyways.

I hope the kid J-Mac really enjoyed it, but the fact that all the students had the face on a stick for him, and having fire up shot after shot made it seem moe like a "made for ESPN" moment.

What pisses me off most is the usual media types treating it like a great accomplishment... and tricking those families with autistic/retarded/kids.

He was left alone to shoot outside shots. It was fixed. Anyone with the strength to shoot a basketball 20 feet can do this. There's people in wheelchairs and people in worse condition than McElwain who could do the same thing.

The moral of the story is that we should all feel good for letting this autistic kid be the star of a basketball game.

Fuck that. McElwain would have just as happy if they put him in for a minute, maybe gave him a basket, the crowd cheers and everyone is happy. Not this built up garbage to make it an "amazing" story.

And if people involved with him are continuing this and making a movie out of it... fuck them too. It's disgusting.

Most disabled people want to do things by themself. Handing things to them does not make them happy.

If you watch the tape, he was shooting from 25 feet. Most people arent going to guard you that far out anyways.

Not really. Considering they just let the kid run up and down the court, it's fairly easy to hit six(if not more) of them in 3 minutes. HS range three-pointers aren't that difficult to hit uncontested.

Guest Princess Leena

Not really. Considering they just let the kid run up and down the court, it's fairly easy to hit six(if not more) of them in 3 minutes. HS range three-pointers aren't that difficult to hit uncontested.

I wouldn't say it's easy... but, it's an accomplishment than just about anyone CAN do. Odds are if I take 6 open 3-pointers, I'll hit 2-4. If I'm feeling it, I might hit them all. It's the equivalent of shooting very well in a 3-point contest.

My point is that his coach, and everyone else involved knew the kid could shoot beforehand. He wouldn't have proper technique if he couldn't. It's not a miracle.

Let's keep in mind the kid took about 10 shots, and airballed the first one. It wasn't strung out over a period of time, and it's easier to maintain a hot streak for a 5 minute period especially when you don't have to play defense and no one is playing defense is on you. It's a manufactured story from start to finish. It's not like they pulled a kid out of the crowd with palsy in one hand and he started jacking up contested hook shot threes that were swishing through the net.

Guest Smues

ESPN2 is showing Championship Dominoes. Because Poker isn't boring enough to watch.

Guest Felonies!

You mean Domino Rally? Or like, what you're actually supposed to do with them?

How many times can they show that stupid Big ben interview? Who gives a crap? I love the steelers.

And the guy that replaces Mike and Mike is the worst. He makes Cowturd look good.

Michelle Wie & Danica Patrick hype. Wake me when either of these bitches actually WINS something.

Just wait for when Patrick hitches herself to the Jeff Gordon team next year. That will be a media machine right there.

You'd have to assume that ESPN is praying that Gordan leaves his hot belgian model/actress wife for Danica, so they can deem them "Jeffnica".

Michelle Wie & Danica Patrick hype. Wake me when either of these bitches actually WINS something.

Amen. I don't mean to take away from either woman because they are talented in their respective fields but I am seriously tired of this "oppressed women vs. men" angle. Wie gets another chance with the men @ the 84 Lumber Classic later this year so get ready to stomach (no pun intended from Wie's heat exhaustion yesterday) some more.

ESPN2 is showing Championship Dominoes. Because Poker isn't boring enough to watch.

I love watching Poker. That's probably because I play it far too much - but yeah... I'm glad ESPN airs poker.

Nah, but when I have some food or I'm bored and crashing in front of TV it's the 2nd thing I look for next to baseball. I'm sure that's not too normal, but it does have its audience.

Guest JustPassinBy

Amen. I don't mean to take away from either woman because they are talented in their respective fields but I am seriously tired of this "oppressed women vs. men" angle. Wie gets another chance with the men @ the 84 Lumber Classic later this year so get ready to stomach (no pun intended from Wie's heat exhaustion yesterday) some more.

The thing about Michelle Wie is she's actually making women's golf look even worse, by continually trying to make the cut at these men's events.

I mean, what are male golfers going to think?

They see one of the best female golfers in the world, and she cant even make the cut at a tournament in which only the scrub male golfers play. She's actually making the LPGA look bad.

Guest Princess Leena

Michelle Wie is extremely talented though... Danica is just some lowly driver that got her spot because she's attractive.

It's not Michelle's fault that the money-sucking pigs around her are forcing her into PGA events where she has no chance. Obviously, it would be best if she was still in the Amateur ranks... win some women's Ams... have fun with players your age. Then, kick ass on the LPGA, and THEN see if you're good enough for the PGA.

"Who will win the Super Bowl?"

It's July.

If they would have done something like that last year, Seattle would have been lucky to make the postseason. Let alone make it to the Super Bowl.

Guest Princess Leena

Penis Fucking Williams won Women's Tennis Player of the year.

She didn't even finish Top 10 in the rankings...

Don't pay attention to this.

How the fuck did that retard win best moment over Kobe Bean Bryant scoring 81 POINTS?!

Because everyone hates Kobe silly and Kobe is nothing, NOTHING, without Shaq.

NOTHING!

Sides, the kid could have scored 81 in two quarters! Kobe is a LOSER! Kid is a WINNER!

There, the ESPN justification.

Chris Paul is "breakout athlete of the year", after having a good but not spectacular rookie season, ahead of Alexander Ovechkin who finished in the top 3 in the NHL in both goals and points during his rookie year and scored some of the most spectacular goals you will ever see. All righty then...

Quote by Harold Reynolds during the Home Run Derby as Ryan Howard goes up in the first round:

"Ryan Howard plays for a very good Philadelphia team."

_____

And Michelle Wie sucks. Her trying to compete with men is embarassing when she can't even win a women's event.