TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

I was amazed Josh Elliot even got his own show to begin with.

To some extent I think Cold Pizza/1st and 10 sets the tone, since it is Skip Bayless who goes off on his constant Bonds and T.O. rants.

I can't be alone in thinking that the times where Bayless and Steven A. Smith are on the same show is like TV death. It's like watching two ultra annoying assholes to see who can yell the loudest. At least on Cold Pizza there's Woody Paige to counter Bayless.

I would say stick to ESPN Radio. Mike & Mike in the Morning is always entertaining, Colin Cowherd is the only guy employed by ESPN that seems to have his own opinion, Dan Patrick is always fun/awkward to listen to, and Eric Hselius is decent on the Sports Bash.

When I'm not tuned in to NFL Radio, I'll usually be listening to ESPN Radio. No reason to listen to any of the other 100+ channels I have on satellite radio.

I like ATH and PTI but would it be possible for both shows to cover different sports topics.

Could PTI finish in its timeslot instead of going into SC?

Of course not because then people could change the channel and not have to suffer through 10 minutes of Sportscenter.

I still change the channel until PTI returns. And PTI gets into a "eh" territory when it's not Wilbon and Tony. Then you have ATH which is unbearable when it's Plaschke and Marotti on and no Woody.

I'm starting to get fed up with this Bonds obsession myself. I was watching Sportscenter just a few minutes ago and what do they lead with? NBA playoff picture? Nah. They actually lead with Bonds going 0-2 last night with a couple of walks, because he surpassed Mel Ott for all time intentional walks by a Giant. I mean seriously, who gives a fuck? The way they opened I thought he actually had a big night, as in hit 3 home runs or something.

Ever since the McGwire/Sosa homerun chase ESPN constantly teases the viewer into thinking that a particular player did something big (like showing a clip of them hitting a homerun from a different game) but then show the actual highlights and turns out they didn't do anything of note.

Ever since the McGwire/Sosa homerun chase ESPN constantly teases the viewer into thinking that a particular player did something big (like showing a clip of them hitting a homerun from a different game) but then show the actual highlights and turns out they didn't do anything of note.

When did ESPN start to suck? I have them on a steady decline when they were purchased by ABC/Disney. Before that, it seemed like they had good sports reporters who were actually talented. Now it just seems like they get the guys who couldn't make it on ABC NEWS. Hell, Sportscenter has become ABC News with all the stupid feature stories and the constant 'we must talk about this even though there is nothing to talk about' reporting.

When did ESPN start to suck? I have them on a steady decline when they were purchased by ABC/Disney. Before that, it seemed like they had good sports reporters who were actually talented. Now it just seems like they get the guys who couldn't make it on ABC NEWS. Hell, Sportscenter has become ABC News with all the stupid feature stories and the constant 'we must talk about this even though there is nothing to talk about' reporting.

ESPN started to suck when Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick split when Keith bolted to another network. The problem compounded when they started hiring about 20 of the exact same guy.

Guest Princess Leena

Olbermann leaving was a biggie.

I think the real start of the downfall though, was the funny ESPN commercials that started in the mid-90's. While they were good then, it started the snowball.

I made the mistake of leaving it on ESPN 2 at night for a bit. I got to witness the suck that is "The 2 Stews" or something like that. Everything bad about Stephen A. Smith x2, with bad soud effects to boot.

Guest Sylvan Grenier
I'm starting to get fed up with this Bonds obsession myself. I was watching Sportscenter just a few minutes ago and what do they lead with? NBA playoff picture? Nah. They actually lead with Bonds going 0-2 last night with a couple of walks, because he surpassed Mel Ott for all time intentional walks by a Giant. I mean seriously, who gives a fuck? The way they opened I thought he actually had a big night, as in hit 3 home runs or something.

Remember the good old days when the media did not care for Bonds?

I don't think Stuart Scott in and of himself has hurt ESPN, but his act has simply grown stale over the years. I used to quite like his teaming with Rich Eisen. When Eisen left though it left Scott without anyone to counter his schtick.

Guest Sylvan Grenier

What's different about Mike Golic? ESPN has dozens of boorish former athletes on the payroll.

Mike & Mike would be ok if they weren't constantly promoting stupid things like their Marriage Madness crap, talking about the bets they make between themselves, or discussing where they stand in the ESPN fantasy league. Oh, and Greenberg trying to sell copies of his new book, Why My Wife Thinks I'm An Idiot on sale now at your local bookstore.

Do they actually think anybody gives a shit about any of that stuff? It's bad radio.

Mike & Mike would be ok if they weren't constantly promoting stupid things like their Marriage Madness crap, talking about the bets they make between themselves, or discussing where they stand in the ESPN fantasy league. Oh, and Greenberg trying to sell copies of his new book, Why My Wife Thinks I'm An Idiot on sale now at your local bookstore.

Do they actually think anybody gives a shit about any of that stuff? It's bad radio.

You do realize that the "Mike & Mike" in "Mike & Mike In the Morning" are Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg. If they kept the discussion to solely sports, they wouldn't have any reason for the show and they could just show four hours of ESPN News. It's the fact that they add a little bit of personality to the show that makes it what it is.

ESPN's falling victim to the Fox school of television, like everyone else seems to be doing. It'll continue to get worse and worse because networks don't realize that people watch the sort of crap on TV these days because there are no real alternatives anymore.

I personally put the point of ESPN's irrevocable decline at their first TV movie. There were signs of distress before that, but oh man did that open the floodgates.

The MTV Effect is slightly different. This is a case of the Fox model the moment every SportsCenter or other program starts with the little "hey, guess what, this is in HD!" intro.

Yeah, in 2005 they said that. Not to mention Fox is their main competitor in the sports world these days. You think they'd admit to using the same devices? It's all one big game of marketing one-upsmanship.

The MTV Effect is slightly different. This is a case of the Fox model the moment every SportsCenter or other program starts with the little "hey, guess what, this is in HD!" intro.

I was wondering if I was the only one he was annoyed by them beating us over the head with the fact that they are in HD. The intro, especially the one for SportsCenter, comes off as so obnoxious as if no other network has HD. After three years I think we all realize that ESPN is in HD and those of use who don't have HD could still careless.

On the Fox subject it's interesting that ESPN's downfall of going to more original programming and catering to non-sports fans really started up when Fox Sports Net stopped trying to directly compete with ESPN and dropped it's national highlight shows. I think they feel since there is no real true alternative for national sports coverage that they have no reason to cater to real sports fans as where else are they going to tune in?

It's not only ESPN that has been bit by the MTV bug, A&E (a mostly Disney property), Comedy Central (remember all the old standups they would show?), Cartoon Network...

It's sad.

Guest Princess Leena

I agree with them overly shilling their stupid book, and lame contests...

But, the other stuff is what makes them fun.

Their arguments during March Madness were cute.

That's more what sports radio should be... instead of Rome clones, who purposely disagree with everything, and be the biggest asshole possible.

Guest Sylvan Grenier
It's not only ESPN that has been bit by the MTV bug, A&E (a mostly Disney property), Comedy Central (remember all the old standups they would show?), Cartoon Network...

It's sad.

Actually, Comedy Central seems to be showing more stand-up lately. Problem is, it's all really really bad. And hey! Critic reruns at obscene hours of the morning! Can't go wrong!