TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
naiwf

TWiB: Week of April 16-22

I don't understand why people hate the Astros now. I mean, they're a historically mediocre franchise that's just become good in the last couple years. Clemens doesn't play for them anymore either. What is it people hate about this team?

I don't understand why people hate the Astros now. I mean, they're a historically mediocre franchise that's just become good in the last couple years. Clemens doesn't play for them anymore either. What is it people hate about this team?

I know alot of people hate our bandwagon fans. Alot of hardcore 'Stros fans hate 'em, too. I don't wanna talk down about my hometown, but, my God, after we started 15-30 last season, The Houston Chronicle put a damn tombstone on the front page declaring our season dead. But, of course, after we came back and made a run, it was a sellout every nite. I also know that people like to complain about our quirky (not goofy) ballpark. Yes, we have a hill in centerfield...and a flagpole that's in play, but come on...it's part of the charm. Some people hate our train that goes off everytime we score a run. And I know ALOT of people hate our "Killer B's" bee sound effects everytime Biggio, Berkman, Burke, Bruntlett, Backe, etc. come up to bat. Also, I think some people dislike us because despite flying under the radar just about every year, we seem to find a way to be successful. Of course, the most hyped teams in baseball are the Yankees and the Sox. And the most hyped in the NL are the Cubbies and the Cards. Three of those I can understand being so hyped. The other....not so much. I dunno. And why would anybody hate Clemens? He knocked Mike Piazza out. That was hilarious.

I myself am a hardcore Astros fan, but I don't give a damn about the bandwagoners. Every team in every sport is the exact same way. Less people watch when a team sucks, more people watch when the team's good. It's part of sports. And I like Minute Maid Park too.

Just seemed like all the Astro-haters in the world came out of the woodwork during the playoffs last year. I mean, I live in a place where everyone loves the Cardinals, so I'm used to it, but I never understood why anyone else would hate them.

Guest Smues

Taking Atlanta out of the playoffs the last two seasons did not help, but I've never much cared for the Astros. The goofy stadium of death doesn't help things. And of course getting rid of the rainbow jerseys wasn't good either.

Guest Sylvan Grenier
I also know that people like to complain about our quirky (not goofy) ballpark. Yes, we have a hill in centerfield...and a flagpole that's in play, but come on...it's part of the charm.

Puh-leaze. Wrigley and Fenway have charm. Minute Maid Park is a contrived grab bag of idiosyncrasies that are there for no rhyme or reason.

I really hated Mike Scott, that's about it.

What did Mike Scott ever do to you?

As far as taking Atlanta out of the playoffs the last two years, come on...how many times did you guys eliminate us from the playoffs? And that 18-inning game was killer. The rainbow jerseys, I agree with. We used to wear em on throwback days, but everytime we wore em we got blown out, so we stopped.

Guest Smues

I really hated Mike Scott, that's about it.

What did Mike Scott ever do to you?

As far as taking Atlanta out of the playoffs the last two years, come on...how many times did you guys eliminate us from the playoffs? And that 18-inning game was killer. The rainbow jerseys, I agree with. We used to wear em on throwback days, but everytime we wore em we got blown out, so we stopped.

Well yeah I'd expect Astro fans to hate Atlanta for that, as you should expect us to hate the Astros.

And while I admittedly warmed up to Clemens when he came to Houstin, it was mainly just because it pissed off so many Yankee fans. That charm wore off quickly.

I also know that people like to complain about our quirky (not goofy) ballpark. Yes, we have a hill in centerfield...and a flagpole that's in play, but come on...it's part of the charm.

Puh-leaze. Wrigley and Fenway have charm. Minute Maid Park is a contrived grab bag of idiosyncrasies that are there for no rhyme or reason.

But there are reasons. The hill is a throwback to...some old ballpark of which I have forgotten the name. The short porch in left is a tribute to the Green Monster. And Wrigley does not have charm. Unless you count guys slip and sliding in the urinals charming...

Guest Sylvan Grenier

Okay, let's shut up about goofy-park.

Cubs can't score much at all tonight against the Dodgers. It's 1-1 heading to the bottom of the 9th; I really don't think they should go to Dempster on this one, but Eyre and Howry have been used already.

Ah, it's Will "Bad" Ohman.

Okay, let's shut up about goofy-park.

Cubs can't score much at all tonight against the Dodgers. It's 1-1 heading to the bottom of the 9th; I really don't think they should go to Dempster on this one, but Eyre and Howry have been used already.

Ah, it's Will "Bad" Ohman.

You think it's goofy now, I hear they're gonna put a Ferris Wheel in right field and put the third baseman in a dunk tank and everytime a hot smash is hit to him, he gets dunked.

Guest Sylvan Grenier

You have a choo-choo train with oranges in it already. I don't know that you're joking.

I just hate everything about, and from "the great state o' Texas".

I am sick of Republicans and sports teams from Texas. I think the Astros are just like the Vikings w/r/t Triangular Mid-American Sports Rivalries. The other two at least have some sort of mutual respect thing going on, but man, nobody likes the third team.

You have a choo-choo train with oranges in it already. I don't know that you're joking.

I just hate everything about, and from "the great state o' Texas".

I am sick of Republicans and sports teams from Texas. I think the Astros are just like the Vikings w/r/t Triangular Mid-American Sports Rivalries. The other two at least have some sort of mutual respect thing going on, but man, nobody likes the third team.

Well, if you were building a ballpark in an old train depot that was sponsered by Minute Maid, what would you put in the choo-choo train? You'd be surprised how many people think that the oranges are pumpkins.

I'm sick of Republicans from most places. Texas doesn't have a stranglehold on Republicanism, but that's something else entirely.

Guest Sylvan Grenier

This was one of those nights where I could tell they probably weren't gonna win. Wasn't a lot of offense happening. Lowe just had our number, much like Arroyo. Mid-level starters are tough for the Cubs, I guess. I'll just cross my fingers for a series win tomorrow, which would take us to 4-2 on the road trip, with three more in St. Louis. Hmph.

Why was Neifi at short.

The Blue Jays did something that no team has ever done before: come back to beat Randy Johnson after spotting the Big Unit a four-run lead. This drops Johnson's record in games in which he's had a four-run lead to work with to 145-1.

I am glad that the Phillies got Aaron Rowand. Finally, someone who plays the game the "right way". Of course, right way means diving at a ball that you have ZERO chance of getting to, but hey it got him a standing ovation and showed that lazy Abreu how business should be handled.

This mini-rant brought to you by Philadelphia fans who feel free to give Rowand a pass for his first two weeks of butchery in CF, yet jump on any chance to boo Abreu like last night on a misplay. Followed by a mock cheer when he later caught a ball. I have joined al in hatred of Philadelphia fans.

Al - I know Geoff Geary is your boy, but please tell me why I should trust him in tight situations? Nothing I've seen from his stints on the Phillies makes me comfortable with seeing him in any role besides pitching w/ big leads or big deficits.

This was one of those nights where I could tell they probably weren't gonna win. Wasn't a lot of offense happening. Lowe just had our number, much like Arroyo. Mid-level starters are tough for the Cubs, I guess. I'll just cross my fingers for a series win tomorrow, which would take us to 4-2 on the road trip, with three more in St. Louis. Hmph.

Why was Neifi at short.

That confused me as well. Did Cedeno get seriously hurt or something? There is no reason the player with the best batting average on the team should be sitting on the bench again for Perez. Especially after going 2-for-3 in the first game of the series. All I could think is Cedeno needed a day off and even that didn't make sense to me.

Correction: Best average of the full time starters. Hairston and Walker have better batting averages doing platoon.

The Mets are probably going to lose this game too since Floyd, Beltran and Hernandez are all out again leaving us with virtually no bench and Hudson pitching for the Braves.

Pitcher's duel at Shea, thus far Glavine's given up 1 hit thru 4, while Huddy's got a perfecto thru 3.

Can Yankee fans please shut up about the RJ/personal catcher thing? its just a coincidence he sucked with Posada last year.

Johnson went 17-8 with a 3.79 ERA. 211 Ks and 47 BBs in 226 innings. Last I checked that was good.

Hey, Alke...or somebody. This came up tonight during the 'Stros game. Do you know of any major league players that have played every single position including pitcher in a single game? Apparently there's been alot, but damned if I can think of any. 'Stros are hitting good again tonite, but are on the verge of blowing it because after getting up 11-2, Phil Garner thought it would be funny to play Brad Ausmus at first base. Oh well. Go 'Stros.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09080KC11965.htm

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09060CHA2000.htm

Bert Campaneris and Scott Sheldon are the only two, as far as I know.

Al - I know Geoff Geary is your boy, but please tell me why I should trust him in tight situations? Nothing I've seen from his stints on the Phillies makes me comfortable with seeing him in any role besides pitching w/ big leads or big deficits.

You shouldn't. He's not a high leverage pitcher. He's the kind of guy you pay $300,000 to get you through the sixth inning instead of throwing millions of dollars at the likes of Tim Worrell and Rheal Cormier.

Guest NYankees
Can Yankee fans please shut up about the RJ/personal catcher thing? its just a coincidence he sucked with Posada last year.

Johnson went 17-8 with a 3.79 ERA. 211 Ks and 47 BBs in 226 innings. Last I checked that was good.

Johnson had a pretty good last year. It's just the fact that he gave up too many homeruns and the bullpen blowing a couple of games which kept him from getting 20 wins and having a lower era.

Yankees have taken a 2-0 lead on an Arod homerun and a run being scored on a run down.

Hudson is now perfect thru 5, and Francoeur has the only 2 hits in the game to this point. No one else has reached base yet on either side.

Guest NYankees

Glavine is pitching like it is 1996 and not 2006. Did he find the fountain of youth or something?

Ramon Castro just got the first hit off of Hudson. 1 run will probably win this game.

An error by Jordan and a perfect bunt by Glavine gave the Mets 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Reyes flew out to left and Diaz gunned down Castro at the plate. 0-0 still :(