TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

TSM 2006 NBA Playoffs thread

He was trying to get his teammates involved, it wasn't about him not shooting for the sake of not shooting. After all, isn't that what everyone wanted? Charles Barkley called him selfish for only taking 3 shots in the 2nd half, after taking potshots at him all series for shooting so much.

I swear, this guy will never win with the fans, or the idiot commentators like Barkley.

Are you actually comparing Marbury in any way to Kobe?

I don't know whether that's supposed to be an insult or a joke.

Although, I don't see how people can be a Kobe fan after tonight. Tonight he made sure that all the blame goes on his teammates instead of himself. The suns were doing a great job doubling him and all, but seriously, get your ass on the block and play some basketball.

Are you kidding me? He's the last person that should be taking blame.

Quit listening to Charles Barkley.

You guys want him to be passive. He does it. You guys want him to shoot the ball. He does it.

I do not know what the fuck people want from him, as he's clearly shown he's willing to do what it takes.

There's a reason Charles Barkley never won anything, even though he had great teammates.

You said it King. I get so sick and tired of the Kobe hate... from Dama to Ripper, and everyone in between. Honestly, after a while it gets obnoxious. Part of trusting your teammates involves leaving a certain amount of the winning up to their abilities. If they don't come through, you're going to lose. That's why it's a TEAM sport. The Lakers had plenty of chances to win this series, they didn't do it, and they should be disappointed. But, I am definitely sick of people railing on Kobe. I'm also not going to assess the team based on tonight's result. If LA plays next season the way they played the first half of this series, they can win 60 games. For now, I'll start taking a look at free agency lists.

The Suns deserved to win... it was a remarkable comeback and a testament to just how good Steve Nash is. They deserve all the credit in the world. Barbosa is an amazing player... I wish the Lakers had him. Congrats to Suns fans.

Are you actually comparing Marbury in any way to Kobe?

I don't know whether that's supposed to be an insult or a joke.

Well, I was trying to be nice by comparing how the media gets on Marbury for not passing enough and not shooting enough, but hey you know what..Kobe got exactly what he deserved. Showboating like an idiot after Game 4 doesn't look so good now. Theres a reason he didn't win MVP, and its because like situations like these. When things are going great, hes a great teammate. Suddenly when they're losing, he passes it off so he doesn't get much blame. Now he can say "hey, I was playing team ball, not my fault." Carry the team on your back like you say you can do. Score on Raja Bell anytime like you say you can do. Don't make stupid comments like that, then get blown out by like 30.

Then you see Steve Nash after the game, talking about how great Barbosa is, not showing off, just saying the right things.

You say I shouldn't be comparing Marbury to Kobe? Don't ever compare Kobe as a player, teammate, talent, whatever, to Steve Nash. After this series, Steve Nash > Kobe. Thats the type of guy i'd like on my team.

Although, I don't see how people can be a Kobe fan after tonight. Tonight he made sure that all the blame goes on his teammates instead of himself. The suns were doing a great job doubling him and all, but seriously, get your ass on the block and play some basketball.

Are you kidding me? He's the last person that should be taking blame.

Quit listening to Charles Barkley.

You guys want him to be passive. He does it. You guys want him to shoot the ball. He does it.

I do not know what the fuck people want from him, as he's clearly shown he's willing to do what it takes.

There's a reason Charles Barkley never won anything, even though he had great teammates.

You said it King. I get so sick and tired of the Kobe hate... from Dama to Ripper, and everyone in between. Honestly, after a while it gets obnoxious. Part of trusting your teammates involves leaving a certain amount of the winning up to their abilities. If they don't come through, you're going to lose. That's why it's a TEAM sport. The Lakers had plenty of chances to win this series, they didn't do it, and they should be disappointed. But, I am definitely sick of people railing on Kobe. I'm also not going to assess the team based on tonight's result. If LA plays next season the way they played the first half of this series, they can win 60 games. For now, I'll start taking a look at free agency lists.

The Suns deserved to win... it was a remarkable comeback and a testament to just how good Steve Nash is. They deserve all the credit in the world. Barbosa is an amazing player... I wish the Lakers had him. Congrats to Suns fans.

Screw that Kobe hate crap. I haven't said one thing to suggest Kobe hate in this thread. I have talked about how great he played in the series. But the other night you guys were talking about how the lakers were playing 5 on four because Smush Parker was playing like crap. HOW in the hell was tonight different with Kobe.

I don't know what game you guys were watching, but once the lead hit 20 points, you watched Kobe Bryant quit. He quit offensively, defensively, all around. The Leader that he has been the entire series? Out the window.

He passed on WIDE OPEN FUCKING SHOTS for christ sake. On at least 4 plays I watched him stand about 5 feet behind the 3 point line. They were LITERALLY playing 5 on 4.

I do agree they would be a top 5 seed if they play like they played in this series, but Mr. I can score on him anytime I want to KNOWs full well what his role in this playoff offense was. The team was struggling, force double teams so that you teammates can get open. Instead he took himself out of the equation all together.

Charles Barkley has been going at the guy no matter what in this series, but I am not going to be the one cosigning on that.

TONIGHT, and ONLY TONIGHT, was a dissappointing and pathetic display of basketball out of Kobe.

Guest Princess Leena
If LA plays next season the way they played the first half of this series, they can win 60 games.

X

Well, I was trying to be nice by comparing how the media gets on Marbury for not passing enough and not shooting enough, but hey you know what..Kobe got exactly what he deserved. Showboating like an idiot after Game 4 doesn't look so good now.

First things first, because this will be long. If you were trying to be nice in the first place, you never would have typed out the post which I will quote and respond to. Someone that is a Knick fan is telling me this after Nate Robinson won a slam dunk contest and they were showboating, and after Jamal Crawford made one buzzerbeater shot, after they had already lost 50 games, and was showboating. Room to talk, huh?

Theres a reason he didn't win MVP, and its because like situations like these. When things are going great, hes a great teammate. Suddenly when

they're losing, he passes it off so he doesn't get much blame.

There's a reason that Steve Nash won the MVP. The media loves him, even if he is a whiny bitch and has been quoted as such. No racial comment here, even though it is quite apparent. Don't even respond to it, as it's the damn truth and I would like you to even try to come up with something logical in respons.

Now he can say "hey, I was playing team ball, not my fault." Carry the team on your back like you say you can do. Score on Raja Bell anytime like you say you can do. Don't make stupid comments like that, then get blown out by like 30.

I don't think he's going to say a damn thing except for that he has full trust in himself, his coach and his teammates and that this was a learning experience and that they will be back next season. In case you weren't watching the game, he scored on Bell at will in the first half. Do you know why he didn't shoot a lot in the second half? Phil Jackson wanted him to spread the ball around and instill confidence in his teammates. Jackson takes a lot of blame for this series loss, but maybe he had too much faith in the rest of the guys.

Then you see Steve Nash after the game, talking about how great Barbosa is, not showing off, just saying the right things.

Everyone says the right things when their team is still in the playoffs. Kobe will say the right things as well, even though his team isn't.

You say I shouldn't be comparing Marbury to Kobe? Don't ever compare Kobe as a player, teammate, talent, whatever, to Steve Nash. After this series, Steve Nash > Kobe. Thats the type of guy i'd like on my team.

First of all, I'm putting a line through that. That's not what matters, especially because talentwise it's no contest. Didn't I say I'd take a team full of guys with heart (Turiaf) over guys with talent (Boozer)? Point is null. I'd take the guy with the 3 rings and without the injured back over the 33 year old that won't be at this pace for more than 3 more years any day.

TONIGHT, and ONLY TONIGHT, was a dissappointing and pathetic display of basketball out of Kobe.

Please. I respect you, but I find that to be wrong.

At least the Clippers will have fans rooting for them in their home games now :)

This was a fun series. I never had a strong preference either way, but I think i'm happy with the outcome, just because the constant kobe highlights were wearing thin. when kobe and the lakers are getting more coverage than the Mavs, pistons, and the spurs, all of whom are great teams, there's something wrong. This is more a criticism of the media than the Lakers though.

The Lakers pretty much failed in the first 5-10 minutes, when the score was 16-6 or something. Phoenix was already on track for the "magic 100" point number.

grapes-print.jpg

Secondly, theres a difference between celebrating with your teammates, and celebrating by yourself, and chanting MVP with the crowd?!

I'm not even going with the Nash/MVP debate. Well, i'll be quick. 3 different starters, all having career years, won over 50 games when people expected much lower with Amare out, and his numbers upped from last year.

Trust me, if Kobe was really really trying out there, there is no way in hell hes not taking more shots. You're in denial if you think so.

Kobe wasn't saying the right things before this game. Saying Bell was a nobody, and that he can score on him whenever he wanted to. I wonder if Nash would say the same thing about Smush Parker.

Steve Nash is a better teammate, better team player, and is heading to the next round. You can live in the past, and how Kobe won 3 rings with Shaq, whatever. Give me the guy who won't make me feel inferior, and the guy who won't defer to me just to save his ass.

Secondly, theres a difference between celebrating with your teammates, and celebrating by yourself, and chanting MVP with the crowd?!

Come on.

I'm not even going with the Nash/MVP debate. Well, i'll be quick. 3 different starters, all having career years, won over 50 games when people expected much lower with Amare out, and his numbers upped from last year.

I never said Kobe should win MVP, in fact I said Nash should win it. However, let's be realistic. There is a bias towards him.

Trust me, if Kobe was really really trying out there, there is no way in hell hes not taking more shots. You're in denial if you think so.

What part of "Phil Jackson wanted him to distribute" do you not understand? Do you want him to just blatantly ignore his coach? I mean, it probably wouldn't hurt his reputation, as it's already been ran through the dirt by everyone.

Kobe wasn't saying the right things before this game. Saying Bell was a nobody, and that he can score on him whenever he wanted to. I wonder if Nash would say the same thing about Smush Parker.

He can score on him whenever he wants. I never said he should have said that. He won't say anything about Smush's bad play, I promise you. Nash is a whiny bitch that complained all series about everything. In fact, this is what Kobe and Phil had to say about the team, not exact quotes because I didn't tape record it or bookmark every article I read this year.

Phil: We have a nucleus...we need some major changes.

Kobe: Our team will evolve. Kwame has tons of potential and will continue to grow. Odom has proven that he can be one of the best players in the league. They are going to work this summer and continue to grow.

I was just mentioning key pieces to our growth and I think Turiaf is definitely one of those pieces. Me and Ronny are tight and I think he has a great love for the game of basketball. I'm gonna take him under my wing this summer.

My God, what a shitty teammate and individual he is. He's a fucking asshole.

Steve Nash is a better teammate, better team player, and is heading to the next round. You can live in the past, and how Kobe won 3 rings with Shaq, whatever. Give me the guy who won't make me feel inferior, and the guy who won't defer to me just to save his ass.

Just look above.

This black guy I work with said Nash only got the MVP because he's white. He said that the white dominated media doesn't like the fact that basketball is a black mans sport so if a white guy does anything decent then they jump to give him every award.

I think he's crazy.

Guest Princess Leena

Those kids better not work too hard this summer. Once they grow out of Kobe's wing... he'll send them off of the LA Kobes.

But look at what he does during the games. Grabs players (teammates) heads and makes himself seem bigger than thim. Every time a teammate makes a big play, a nice high five will do. Don't try and show us your the leader by taking them by the side, and start grabbing their heads, and start whispering in their ear. And then he says what he says to Raja Bell, and continues...he is an arrogant individual.

This black guy I work with said Nash only got the MVP because he's white. He said that the white dominated media doesn't like the fact that basketball is a black mans sport so if a white guy does anything decent then they jump to give him every award.

I think he's crazy.

He's partially correct, but wrong in his reason of why. Really wrong.

But look at what he does during the games. Grabs players (teammates) heads and makes himself seem bigger than thim. Every time a teammate makes a big play, a nice high five will do. Don't try and show us your the leader by taking them by the side, and start grabbing their heads, and start whispering in their ear.

So, you don't want him to do anything but give them a high-five if he makes the game winning shot? They are young, and the guys look up to him. That's what Kwame and Smush have said. He can do whatever he wants to instill confidence in them, that's just his way of doing it.

Kings making it interesting in the 1/8 matchup. Spurs have been known to let teams back into a series when they're up 2-0. I still don't like our chances unless we take game 5.

LOL at Laker fans trying to say the series isn't over. Did you see the Suns leaving the court? They are done. They have no heart. They are the walking dead. Move on to the LA series.

LOL at whoever said the Clips/Lakers will be a war. A 4 game sweep is a war? You've gotta be kidding me? Not sure if you've checked the lineups, but there isn't one matchup on the floor the Lakers don't have a position advantage at. Clips/Lakers will be lucky to go 5 games.

Lakers in the WCF. Quote me on it.

Quoted.

LOL at Laker fans trying to say the series isn't over. Did you see the Suns leaving the court? They are done. They have no heart. They are the walking dead. Move on to the LA series.

I can't wait!

So what's the right reason?

1. The Suns sucked before they had him, and he made them much better. The one thing that is forgotten is the addition of better shooters, but that doesn't matter. He's a hell of a player that can get them the ball.

2. I can not explain to you why the media likes Steve Nash (but you can draw your own conclusions due to what I said). He is one of very few that can actually get away with the things that he says. If you watched TNT, you'd know what I'm talking about. This is the same national television crew that boasts about what class Nash exemplifies because he doesn't complain about officiating, even though the MVP exclaimed that the Lakers have gotten the majority of the calls in the series (an item that even a media member covering the Suns admits is not true). What about the fact that he tried to pick a fight with Vujacic? Anyone else would have been crucified over that. I'll try my best to ignore his "up 4-2" comment.

Let them have their moment. You don't need to tell us your the leader by doing that all the time.

Ah, but if he doesn't say anything, then they don't think they did the right thing. And he's not telling you that he's the leader, he's telling them that they are doing it right. I personally think they're in awe of him, and that's why the team needs more veterans.

EDIT: I took the quotes off of MVP. That makes it sound like I think he didn't deserve it, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Actually, that head grabbing stuff, that is part of leadership. When they made a good play he was there to congradulate them, when they weren't he was there to tell them what they did wrong and how to fix it.

That was Kobe Bryant in game 1-6. Tonight...NONE of that. That is what I am talking about.

If Kobe played like this all year (games 1-6) he should have won the MVP hands down. But he didn't so that is why that is out the door to me.

But MVP or no, honestly, do you really believe that if the tables were turned that you would have had Nash not taking open shots, not trying to spur on his teammates, not offering words of encouragement?

Everytime they showed bryant near the bench he was off sitting there not acknowledging anyone. When players missed a shot, there were plenty of times he just looked at them shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders tonight. It was just pathetic.

People have to understand. I LOVE basketball. Even if my team doesn't win, as long as the other team wins the right way, I am happy. I want to see effort out of everyone on the court, who I am routing for and who I am not routing for. Tonight I saw exactly ONE guy on the whole court just quit. Smush was booty offensively tonight, but he was hustling on every defensive play. Kwame was also trash offensively but he was crashing the boards hard and going for the block whenever he was in position. I didn't see anything from Kobe in the second half. Just not effort. I understand likeing the guy, I really do. But what can you point to in the second half of this game and say he was putting forth a effort?

Thats the thing. He's a good teammate when they're winning, and he's suddenly not there when they're not. I still don't like the head thing; to me it's condescending.

But what can you point to in the second half of this game and say he was putting forth a effort?

I will say that he quit trying to do anything with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd. I left Hooters shortly thereafter and listened to the game on the radio. From the radio account, they didn't mention him other than when he was passing the ball. They never once said "open look". I have the game on tape, but will not watch it for a while.

So you don't think it has anyone to do with race like he does?

That's why the media likes him, that's what I think about it.

So what's the right reason?

I can not explain to you why the media likes Steve Nash (but you can draw your own conclusions due to what I said). He is one of very few that can actually get away with the things that he says. If you watched TNT, you'd know what I'm talking about. This is the same national television crew that boasts about what class Nash exemplifies because he doesn't complain about officiating, even though the MVP exclaimed that the Lakers have gotten the majority of the calls in the series (an item that even a media member covering the Suns admits is not true). What about the fact that he tried to pick a fight with Vujacic? Anyone else would have been crucified over that. I'll try my best to ignore his "up 4-2" comment.

Oh come on. He took his lumps on the game 4. He didn't complain about the officiating. The only time he said something was in defense of a teammate. THATS what leaders do. Its no different than Bryant coming to the defense of Vujacic.

Oh and the PICKING a fight with Vujacic? Come on. You know full well that Sasha is one of the most annoying, chippy son of a bitches in the league, people covering the Lakers acknowledge this. All I am going to say is that after the foul, Nash walked away, so how exactly was he in the position to push Vujacic's arm off of his?

And the 4-2 comment. You are just grasping there. He said we are up 4-2, laughed, and said he still is in denial about them losing game 4.

His majority of the calls thing... When you have guys on your team bleeding and no foul being called, Kwame and Walton both committing arguably suspension warrenting fouls, then yeah, you say the majority of things went their way. Thats not even counting on the end of game 4 where even as the biggest laker supporter, you can't possibly say that they had a lot of calls go their way there.

Guest Princess Leena
I just have to say that I get better sports coverage and analysis on this message board than I find nearly anywhere else. Just felt like mentioning it.

I hope you're kidding.