TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

Hey, any of you guys seen Shotgun Stories? It came out a couple months ago and played major cities. I got it from NetFlix based on Ebert's **** review. It's about a blood feud between two sets of half brothers in rural Arkansas following the death of their father. It's part revenge thriller and part dryass comedy.The only semi-recognizable person in this is Michael Shannon and it's produced by David Gordon Green. I have a feeling that Milkhawk in particular would enjoy this one.

I've heard that recommended.

Which also reminds me, I did end up watching Across 110th Street based on your recommendation a while back, I just never commented on it, but it was really good. Netflix no longer had it available to stream when I checked, which was why it took me a while to get to it.

Any word on any new female cast members? Surely Casey "Yummy" Wilson moves up?

She's still a featured player? I ffed through the intros. Yea, Casey should move up. I love her

You know, Commando and Total Recall have always been my favorite Schwarzenegger movies, but with the Rifftrax of it, Predator moves higher up the list.

Guest Smues

So what's the early word on My Best Friend's Girl? Rotten Tomatos doesn't have any reviews up yet, leading me to believe that it didn't get screened for the critics which usually means it sucks. Plus I notice it has both Jason Biggs AND Dane Cook in it. I'm guessing we've got our not even better than killing yourself movie of the summer.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains" is now on DVD. Get it or not?

I saw Burn After Reading a second time, and I reiterate how enjoyable it really is.

I could see George Clooney, Brad Pitt and John Malkovich deserving Academy Award nominations. Unfortunately the most likely winner is Pitt stealing it from Heath Ledger.

Total Recal and Running Man are my favourite Arnie films.

I would say Terminator, but I see that more as a Terminator film rather than an Arnie film.

EDIT: Oh, and Kindergarten Cop kicks ass.

Unfortunately the most likely winner is Pitt stealing it from Heath Ledger.

Haha this statement is so far from what is actually going to happen

The other day I saw a preview showing of Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist. Aside from one quibble with the ending and some rather unnecessary gross-out humor, I thought it was excellent.

Really looking forward to that one.

Also, I agree with Milky. Burn After Reading was tremendous. I absolutely loved it. Everyone played their roles so flawlessly. I was dying when Clooney went upstairs and grabbed the sex thingy they always advertise in the back of Maxim after cutting up all the carrots. That was probably my favorite small moment as well... "Think you've got enough carrots?" "WHAT?!". Another great Coen brothers film.

At my TV Programming class, we saw the first episode of "Worst Week" and it was hilarious. It premieres on Monday after Two and a Half Men. While the episode was really good I don't think the series will have legs because if all episodes are going to similar to the premiere then the show might get old pretty fast.

Saw Burn After Reading the other day. Don't really have much to see other than I'm glad to see The Coens followed their best drama of this decade with their best comedy of the decade. Pitt and Clooney both really should do more comedy.

Today I purchased Citizen Kane and GoodFellas. I feel that they might make for quite the interesting combination should I choose to watch them back to back.

yes. and for his creepy-middle-aged-guy sins, he had to sit through the premiere of 'sisterhood of the traveling pants 2'.

cross is way up there on my list of tremendously talented people whose work i admire but who i'd hate to meet in real life.

I love David's work (although I think Bob Odenkirk is funnier) but going to bobanddavid.com he just comes of as a tremendously elitist prick and does so in most public appearances.

I've always liked Odenkirk more than Cross too. But I have to wonder how such a funny guy can direct two of the most poorly regarded comedies of this decade. Rarely have I seen a cast as comically gifted as The Brothers Solomon's put on such a mediocre movie. Though at least that one had a few chuckle worthy moments which Let's Go To Prison did not.

Lower case stuff

Sisterhood 2 was really good. Not as good as the first one, but Amber's story was excellent and they actually did something with Blake Lively this time. Last I heard Amber was dating a black guy, didn't know she was tapping Tobias.

I haven't met him per se, but I did once see Cross on the street.

"Wanted" and "Night Watch" director Timur Bekmambetov will helm a reimagining of the Herman Melville's 1851 literary classic "Moby Dick" for Universal Pictures reports Variety.

Adam Cooper and Bill Collage will pen the screenplay which ditches Ishmael's narration in favour of a "action-adventure revenge story" that allows the filmmakers to depict the white whale's decimation of other ships prior to its encounter with Ahab's Pequod.

Ahab himself will be depicted more as a charismatic leader rather than the brooding obsessive, a controversial move considering the whole point of the novel is the destructive nature of relentless obsession.

---

Look, I think Moby Dick is one of the most boring novels ever written. The premise is great, the Gregory Peck movie is great, but the book is basically one part novel and one part anatomy of whales/whaling. Very technical. Very boring. Still, it's a great story, as the article above points out. To me, stripping out all the deeper elements and replacing them with generic action beats is a borderline parody of the Hollywood so creatively drained that only remakes get approved. The plot reeks of the direct-to-DVD ripoff that would come out the same week as a real, studio Moby Dick picture. Then it hit me.

"Wanted" and "Night Watch" director Timur Bekmambetov will helm a reimagining of the Herman Melville's 1851 literary classic "Moby Dick" for Universal Pictures reports Variety.

Adam Cooper and Bill Collage will pen the screenplay which ditches Ishmael's narration in favour of a "action-adventure revenge story" that allows the filmmakers to depict the white whale's decimation of other ships prior to its encounter with Ahab's Pequod.

Ahab himself will be depicted more as a charismatic leader rather than the brooding obsessive, a controversial move considering the whole point of the novel is the destructive nature of relentless obsession.

PUKING.jpg

I just came across 'thehut.com' and they have some awesome deals at the moment, especially the 75% off deals.

I think this is a UK site though, i've never ordered from them.

Just a heads up, anyway.