TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

Well, Bleach is a rather straight-forward manga(though the comedy is quite good when it comes around) and, as with other manga/anime, it depends on how much you like the characters. You should try and find a few of the first chapters online or browse through the first volume in a bookstore.

If you like lots of swordplay in your action shounen manga, then you'll probably like Bleach.

Off-topic: I finally finished the Rurouni Kenshin series and damn, Enishi is a beast. Kenshin using the Dragon's Howl to mess him up was one of those things that makes you go, "Why didn't I think of that?" when Enishi busted out the Frenzied Nerves.

Wish that Watsuki would have shown what happened to everyone else besides Kenshin, Karou, Yahiko, and Tsubame 5 years later. Even so, I still loved it. Now to start getting into Death Note... my poor wallet. :(

How is that off-topic APO? It is the Anime/Manga OAO thread. That's not really off-topic.

You know a lot of older manga, I need to get cause I just started purchasing manga when Negima came out. I so need to backtrack on some of the older series like Rurouni Kenshin, Ranma, and others.

And yeah, my wallet isn't doing too good too. Especially considering I'm buying like 500 manga here soon from someone. Well, probably in installments cause I only know the person over the interweb.

You know, I recommended Elfen Lied to someone, yet I've never seen it. They loved it, but still. I kinda feel bad about doing that. Ever do something like that with manga/anime?

Bleach is a Shonen Jump production, so that should probably be a good indicator of whether you'd like it or not.

Basically a lot of swords and blood with some good comedy mixed in, it sometimes falls into the pitfalls and conventions of other prototypical action series, but is unique enough to stand out. It also takes a while to really get going. The closest comparison I can come up with is Yu Yu Hakusho with swordplay.

How is that off-topic APO? It is the Anime/Manga OAO thread. That's not really off-topic.

Well, I meant off the topic of Bleach, not manga/anime in general. Probably shouldn't have said it, but I've been kinda scatter-brained these past few days for some reason, heh.

You know a lot of older manga, I need to get cause I just started purchasing manga when Negima came out. I so need to backtrack on some of the older series like Rurouni Kenshin, Ranma, and others.

And yeah, my wallet isn't doing too good too. Especially considering I'm buying like 500 manga here soon from someone. Well, probably in installments cause I only know the person over the interweb.

You know, I recommended Elfen Lied to someone, yet I've never seen it. They loved it, but still. I kinda feel bad about doing that. Ever do something like that with manga/anime?

Isn't Ranma longer than Kenshin(28 volumes)? Hell, I think Inuyasha(which is still going on, I think) is, too. Damn, Rumiko Takahashi(sp?) is inhuman.

On that 500 manga thing, what series are you getting? I'm seriously behind on my Negima manga chapters(download 'em from a site) as my hard drive is taking a serious hit from all the Naruto/Bleach manga and anime I've downloaded for the last six months since I burned some stuff onto CDs to make space(I probably could have bought all the WWE and TNA PPVs this year with the money I tend to spend on blank discs... fuckin' Wal-Mart).

As far as recommending stuff I haven't heard or read, with me, it was s-CRY-ed(I had read an article about it like 2 months before the guy asked me for a series to watch) and he didn't like it at all, heh. A friend of mine has Elfen Lied and said it's rather disturbing, so I might have to pass on it for a bit before actually watching it.

Curious, but what's everyone's favorite distributor? I prefer Del-Ray (Negima, Tsubasa, xxxHOLiC) over the others.

Viz/Shonen Jump and Tokyo Pop are established favorites, and while ADV's translation of Azumanga Daioh started out rough, I'm glad they acknowledged that they couldn't continue screwing with things and got it fixed halfway through the first volume.

Well, I meant off the topic of Bleach, not manga/anime in general. Probably shouldn't have said it, but I've been kinda scatter-brained these past few days for some reason, heh.

No worries. Happens to the best of us.

Isn't Ranma longer than Kenshin(28 volumes)? Hell, I think Inuyasha(which is still going on, I think) is, too. Damn, Rumiko Takahashi(sp?) is inhuman.

On that 500 manga thing, what series are you getting? I'm seriously behind on my Negima manga chapters(download 'em from a site) as my hard drive is taking a serious hit from all the Naruto/Bleach manga and anime I've downloaded for the last six months since I burned some stuff onto CDs to make space(I probably could have bought all the WWE and TNA PPVs this year with the money I tend to spend on blank discs... fuckin' Wal-Mart).

As far as recommending stuff I haven't heard or read, with me, it was s-CRY-ed(I had read an article about it like 2 months before the guy asked me for a series to watch) and he didn't like it at all, heh. A friend of mine has Elfen Lied and said it's rather disturbing, so I might have to pass on it for a bit before actually watching it.

Ranma is about 40 volumes. And yeah, Rumiko is sure taking her sweet time with Inuyasha. ...I'll admit I was a fan of Inuyasha, till the third season was still a rehash of everything else that had happened and nothering progressed. And yes, Inuyasha is nearly at 50 volumes and still running. Rumiko is also the highest paid mangaka in Japan, so I don't think she'll stop Inuyasha.

I'm not exactly sure concerning the manga. I know I'm getting a lot of stuff I don't already have, but at the same time, I'm not exactly sure. I was promised a list but I keep forgetting to ask for it. My bad really. I'm probably gonna be getting Bleach and probably Kenshin, so I'll finally get to read those two series. Other than that, I'm not sure.

If you need to be caught up on Negima, I'm up to chapter 142 I think, so I could probably help you out in getting the rest. ^_^;; As soon as I find my GB disk that has the earlier chapters on it. I also know the group that does the current chapters of Negima, so if you need the site link hit me up. Don't know if I can put it up on the board. Funny thing is, same group I'm gonna try becoming a quality checker for their fansub department. ^_^;; Except I keep missing the guy I'm supposed to be talking to, getting a little annoyed with that.

Man, how much do you pay for disks? Why not just spend like 300 like I did and buy 500GBs worth of HD. That's what I did and its working out great.

I watched one episode of s-CRY-ed once and liked it. But not enough to go out of my way to watch the rest.

Curious, but what's everyone's favorite distributor? I prefer Del-Ray (Negima, Tsubasa, xxxHOLiC) over the others.

Viz/Shonen Jump and Tokyo Pop are established favorites, and while ADV's translation of Azumanga Daioh started out rough, I'm glad they acknowledged that they couldn't continue screwing with things and got it fixed halfway through the first volume.

I hate Tokyo Pop. They hacked Love Hina. I know because I have the original scanlation of it and I ain't happy they do stuff like that. I prefer Del-Rey because although they are inexperienced, the quality they produce is a lot better.

Funny enough though, the longer xxxHOLiC goes, the more I'm liking it.

Considering I've got the floor (for the moment), what series is everyone following currently? I'm faithfully following Ouran Host Club, Inukami, Utawarerumono, and Zero no Takaima. Following but haven't caught up on the following: Strawberry Panic, School Rumble ni Gekki, and Tsubasa.

Ouran Host Club is about the prestigeous high school's (Ouran) Host Club and all the wacky adventures of these boys (the Host Club) who have plenty of time, spending quality time with girls who have plenty of time, and rookie Haruhi as she tries to pay off her debt to the Host Club as a Host. Now, you might ask, don't you mean "Hostess"? Well, no. You see, the Host Club is a "boys only" club.

Inukami's absolutely hilarious show about this guy named Keita and his Inukami as they defeat spirits and the like. I can't really say more because its like MoHS and that I could totally turn you off or blow the surprises if I speak about it.

Utawarerumono is about a feudal times era show that revolves around Hokuro and his journey. With no memory and only a name given to him by the village that rescued him, he sets out to find something for him in this life. Sadly though, there are things that plot to ruin his life because of the past he can't remember.

Zero no Takaima is a story about a noble Louise, nicknamed Zero Louise because she can't cast a spell right, and her summoning of her familiar, the commoner from earth Hiraga Saito!

...yeah, I suck at summaries in the middle of the night, so sue me. I'm also trying not to spoil everything cuase I do that. As you can probably also guess the ones with longer descriptions have been longer running so I've got a better idea of what to talk about as well.

They hacked it as in edited it?

If you need to be caught up on Negima, I'm up to chapter 142 I think, so I could probably help you out in getting the rest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif);; As soon as I find my GB disk that has the earlier chapters on it. I also know the group that does the current chapters of Negima, so if you need the site link hit me up. Don't know if I can put it up on the board. Funny thing is, same group I'm gonna try becoming a quality checker for their fansub department. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif);; Except I keep missing the guy I'm supposed to be talking to, getting a little annoyed with that.

Oh, I have a site where I get 'em from, I've just been too lazy or busy to do so. Direct downloading sucks ass when you're on shitty dial-up and the files tend to be about 5+ MB which is like 20 minutes or so for me.

Good luck on becoming a checker.

Man, how much do you pay for disks? Why not just spend like 300 like I did and buy 500GBs worth of HD. That's what I did and its working out great.

About 11 bucks a pop for 25, though I think I'm going to have to find some different ones because our Wal-Marts have seemingly stopped carrying the ones I normally use.

As far as getting more gigs of HD, I've thought about it, but everytime I get close to doing so, something fucked up happens and I end up using my cash for other crap(which is why I've had to restrict myself to only 3 manga series).

I watched one episode of s-CRY-ed once and liked it. But not enough to go out of my way to watch the rest.

It's a decent series to watch when there's really nothing else on, but the characters get annoying as hell the farther you get into the show.

As far as the series I'm following at the moment: Naruto, Bleach, School Rumble Ni Gekki(WannabeFansubs finally started back doing 'em), Yugiou GX, and Digimon Savers(stop laughing). Tried following Blood+, but I got way behind after episode 4 and gave up.

I need to get into a couple more series, but the site I get GX from acts all wonky and doesn't release the raws til like Thursday or Friday at the earliest and then the damn files themselves are like 300+ MBs and I spend about two days getting it.

Man, life sucks sometimes.

Pretty much the only anime show I watch with any regularity these days is FMA. I've been getting the discs from Netflix and really enjoy that series.

Can't really get into too much else. I'm not interested in getting into Naruto, with its dozens of episodes.

Naruto is pretty hit or miss, especially the fillers. There are some really good fights mixed in with the crap, but they tend to be too damned stop and go due to the characters making 5 minute speeches while in the midst of combat.

They hacked it as in edited it?

Pretty much, yes. There aren't many things, but stuff that did get edited out I felt no need to do so.

Oh, I have a site where I get 'em from, I've just been too lazy or busy to do so. Direct downloading sucks ass when you're on shitty dial-up and the files tend to be about 5+ MB which is like 20 minutes or so for me.

Good luck on becoming a checker.

Ah, ok. I thought you didn't, so I was just saying I knew the main site. And yeah, dial-up isn't fun.

I'm hoping I get the job. Because the first project I'd be working on is the remake of Kanon so that should be fun. Kyoani is doing it, and since I loved what they did with MoSH, I can't wait to see what its like.

About 11 bucks a pop for 25, though I think I'm going to have to find some different ones because our Wal-Marts have seemingly stopped carrying the ones I normally use.

As far as getting more gigs of HD, I've thought about it, but everytime I get close to doing so, something fucked up happens and I end up using my cash for other crap(which is why I've had to restrict myself to only 3 manga series).

Ah, that's pretty good deal on discs. I could see why you don't use HDs at that price. Then again, I got my two HDs on sale, so yeah...

As for the sticking to 3 manga series, that sucks. I'm currently running around ...well a lot ... not including my huge purchase coming up (but those will be complete). My new job allows me to get a lot of manga recently. I think I've bought at least 500$ worth just within the last month or so (I went to a convention though so...).

It's a decent series to watch when there's really nothing else on, but the characters get annoying as hell the farther you get into the show.

As far as the series I'm following at the moment: Naruto, Bleach, School Rumble Ni Gekki(WannabeFansubs finally started back doing 'em), Yugiou GX, and Digimon Savers(stop laughing). Tried following Blood+, but I got way behind after episode 4 and gave up.

I need to get into a couple more series, but the site I get GX from acts all wonky and doesn't release the raws til like Thursday or Friday at the earliest and then the damn files themselves are like 300+ MBs and I spend about two days getting it.

Man, life sucks sometimes.

Ah, its one of those types. No thanks, got my share via Gundam with Kira (and his Godness, ugh).

I like Naruto but its dragging so much when trying to follow the anime. It was like Inuyasha, I just couldn't take the no real payoffs. As for Bleach I'll hafta look into it. Oh, and Wannabe isn't the only one subbing it. A fansub know as Your Mom is also subbing it. ...no that's not a joke on the fansub groups name.

How is Digimon Savers? I've heard some people tell me to give it a chance because its not bad. The previewer/reviewer known as Omni (who runs Random Curiousity) is currently watching Blood+ and it seems quite interesting. I'm half tempted to go out of my way picking it up, but I don't know.

Pretty much the only anime show I watch with any regularity these days is FMA. I've been getting the discs from Netflix and really enjoy that series.

Can't really get into too much else. I'm not interested in getting into Naruto, with its dozens of episodes.

What do you like about FMA? I can probably recommend a few depending on what you consider its strong points.

...and has anyone ever heard about an anime getting a remake only a year later? Because the Negima anime series is getting a "second season" however there's now speculation that it could be a total remake of Negima. I don't think I've ever heard of any anime that gets a remake a year later.

With Naruto you may as well just skip the first twenty or so episodes along with the filler (with some exceptions), which leaves around a hundred episodes. In any case, right now is as good of time as any to catch up with fillers coming to an end soon, but then again, I've been wrong on that before.

I'm unsure of what to pick up on next. I've just been out of the loop until recently with most of my exposure coming from TV, so I have a lot to catch up on.

Milage on s-CRY-ed varies. I like it a lot and don't find the characters annoying, but the cheese factor is pretty high.

Scrolling back in this thread, I looked and saw a post that mentioned that Lupin should be in an anime hall of fame.

Besides him (and I agree with that point, BTW)...who else would fit that role?

Three off the top of my head:

-Astro Boy

-Speed Racer

-GIGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTOOOOOOOOOOR! (sorry, had to do that)

Anyone else?

Regardless of how you might feel about them:

-Dragon Ball (original and z)

-Sailor Moon

I'd also assume Battle of the Planets and the Captain Herlock stuff should be up there too.

Regardless of how you might feel about them:

-Dragon Ball (original and z)

-Sailor Moon

I'd also assume Battle of the Planets and the Captain Herlock stuff should be up there too.

Well, I just meant Characters...but series would work too I guess.

EDIT: And judging by the Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon inductions...if by sheer length alone as a judge...Gundam in all its forms would fit, and possibly One Piece and Naruto as well.

EDIT 2: Slightly off the topic of this post...but since I didn't see it mentioned much in this thread...what are the thoughts here about the Tenchi Muyo series?

EDIT 2: Slightly off the topic of this post...but since I didn't see it mentioned much in this thread...what are the thoughts here about the Tenchi Muyo series?

I liked the original Tenchi OAVs and what I saw of Universe. I also enjoyed the manga. I always wanted to see the Mihoshi OAV but not a lot of stores around me carried it and the ones that did were expensive. I refuse to pay $30 for a single DVD.

By the way, if anyone's interested, I found some sweet links for Samurai Pizza Cats and it's Japanese equivalent if anyone's interested. I remember watching it before I went to school, always fun.

Dude, please post the links for Samurai Pizza Cats, I used to love that show, soo much that when i was a kid i used to watch in japanese with italian subtitles. Have u ever played the NES game???

Dude, please post the links for Samurai Pizza Cats, I used to love that show, soo much that when i was a kid i used to watch in japanese with italian subtitles. Have u ever played the NES game???

Hey, did someone mention Samurai Pizza Cats?? That show was funny as hell, and although I never followed it with a passion like I did shows like Mazinger or Dragon Ball Z I always enjoyed it whenever I saw it. Sadly, I never played the NES game (I didn't even know it existed.)

So I watched the new SF II Animated Movie DVD last night, enjoyable stuff. At first, skimming through the English version on Side A, I was a bit cocnerned over the fact the video looks faded and less vibrant than my 11 year old VHS casette (the quality looked almsot on par with the version on the SF Anthology) but some tinkering with my TV colour settings made it better.

However, the Japanese version on Side B (because they are slightly different cuts - credits, Japanese text, and I believe an extra ass shot of Chun Li - you can't switch audio back and forth, you have to use side A or side B) looks great. I love the Japanese ending where - and just to be safe, I'll tag it -

Ryu yells "TEASER!" as the movie ends with him leaping towards Vega / Bison's truck

. The end of the credits also have a funny "Coming Spring 1995 - Street Fighter The Movie. Now filming in Hollywood!" card at the end. We all know how that turned out.

With Naruto you may as well just skip the first twenty or so episodes along with the filler (with some exceptions), which leaves around a hundred episodes. In any case, right now is as good of time as any to catch up with fillers coming to an end soon, but then again, I've been wrong on that before.

I'm unsure of what to pick up on next. I've just been out of the loop until recently with most of my exposure coming from TV, so I have a lot to catch up on.

Milage on s-CRY-ed varies. I like it a lot and don't find the characters annoying, but the cheese factor is pretty high.

Hm... I guess it'll be like Inuyasha to me, so I'll pass for the time being and get it later.

As for what you should pick up next, I recommend the following:

Ouran Host Club

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Shakugan no Shana

Scrolling back in this thread, I looked and saw a post that mentioned that Lupin should be in an anime hall of fame.

Besides him (and I agree with that point, BTW)...who else would fit that role?

Three off the top of my head:

-Astro Boy

-Speed Racer

-GIGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTOOOOOOOOOOR! (sorry, had to do that)

Anyone else?

If we're talking series, I would hafta included The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I know most people are probably gonna say "why..." but this show went from a general nothing to exploding into a huge cult phenomia over in Japan practically with the second show. Its also so big that it blew out Fate Stay Night's (which was just finished) post totals on 2chan by I believe the fifth episode.

Robotech (at least the Rick Hunter story arc), Fist Of The North Star (the movie), Golgo 13, Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll (the movie) should be in an anime HOF.

But what would be basing criteria on for things to make it into the HoF?

I'm thinking it should be the following:

~ How big of a phenomia its was in Japan

~ How well it transcends from Japan to the rest of the World

~ Should at least be a few years old (debatable), so as to see how a newer show (such as MoSH) does.

~ Anime must also be one of the front runners for it age. Meaning the music hasta be great, the drawings must be the best for its age, and it hasta have a great story.

~ Also you can't nominate like a whole series that split up. So each Gundam would hafta be nominated seperately. (debatable)

Anything else or did I cover most of the bases? I'm not sure how the characters would work, I'll leave that up to someone else to figure out.

But what would be basing criteria on for things to make it into the HoF?

I'm thinking it should be the following:

~ How big of a phenomia its was in Japan

~ How well it transcends from Japan to the rest of the World

~ Should at least be a few years old (debatable), so as to see how a newer show (such as MoSH) does.

~ Anime must also be one of the front runners for it age. Meaning the music hasta be great, the drawings must be the best for its age, and it hasta have a great story.

~ Also you can't nominate like a whole series that split up. So each Gundam would hafta be nominated seperately. (debatable)

Anything else or did I cover most of the bases? I'm not sure how the characters would work, I'll leave that up to someone else to figure out.

I agree with you...take Dragonball for example...I don't know if I'd place Dragonball and Dragonball GT into a HOF, but without a doubt DBZ should be in there.

oh, Akira is one I missed...HOF material.

I am NOT an anime fan...if it's good enough to impress people like me, it's doing something right.

Hm... I guess it'll be like Inuyasha to me, so I'll pass for the time being and get it later.

As for what you should pick up next, I recommend the following:

Ouran Host Club

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Shakugan no Shana

I was the one discussing Melancholy earlier, creep.

In any case, I'll probably go with Shana, Black Lagoon, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni or Jigoku Shoujo next.

And anything in an anime HOF, whether it be shows or characters, should at least be a few years old. Sure, something like Melancholy of Haruhi made a splash, but we don't know about its long term impact or influence.

I would assume Cowboy Bebop meets most or all of the criteria for HoF.

I'm sure you can put a lot of Shirow on there--not sure what the best candidate would be.

Kimba definitely belongs way up there with Astroboy.

Akira--it sucks as an anime but it was a lot of people's first and they still love it.