TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

it is but remember shinigami literally translates into death god so you know how sensible people here are with the g word, what was it they called them soul reapers?

Kubo stated in an interview that "soul reaper" is the translation he uses for shinigami. The word "God" has nothing to do with it, especially since it's used numerous times in other Viz series like Inuyasha.

thats rather strange since shini comes from the verb shinimasu which means to die and gami comes from the word kami which means God.

I saw the complete Noir set at Best Buy for $57 and considered buying it. I've never seen it, but I've heard that it's pretty good and it sounded interesting. Is the series worth a blind buy?

I saw the complete Noir set at Best Buy for $57 and considered buying it. I've never seen it, but I've heard that it's pretty good and it sounded interesting. Is the series worth a blind buy?

It's a good James Bond-y type show, I really liked it, but fair warning, it does have a weird ending

Was just trying to make a point about what the word means. I really dont care what they call them as long as it sounds good, and is not something stupid. I actually like Soul Reaper instead of Death God. Oh and Ravenbomb Noir is really really good but it does have a weird ending, besides that price is not so bad. I would try and youtube it and see if u like it.

I didn't particularly like Noir, I'd rent the first disc before buying.

eBay's the best place for anime, really. I got the Azumanga class album (whole series) for $30, new.

Though you do have to look out for bootlegs. I bought my friend the entire Bebop series, and while it was a direct copy of the official release (dubs and everything) and was really well packaged, upon careful inspection, it was a bootleg. I don't like buying bootlegs, especially for a gift.

Yeah, I ended up with a bootleg Slayers Perfect Collection when I Ebayed it. Everything works perfectly, but the menus are invisible.

When I play the DVD, I'll see a big red dot over my DVD player's startup screen.

When I tried to play another one of the DVDs, it worked, then I realized that the dot looked identical...and I could play the other DVD fine if I hit Enter, and it would play the DVD. :P

I got the Trigun box set for $35 at a semi-local used cd/dvd/game store called CD Warehouse, but I think a lot of the stores are doing internet sales, so those days are long behind them. :P

I've actually had a pretty good run with eBay. I'm fairly certain my Love Hina set is a bootleg, but an excellent bootleg and a professional looking case, so I'm not complaining. However, all my other anime (Oh My Goddess, Airbats, Cowboy Bebop) seem to be the real deal.

I'm holding out hope I can find the Trigun limited sets (with the metal cases), but I'm starting to htink they're just going to be way to expensive and I'm going to end up getting one of the 3 disc bootleg copies roaming around eBay.

most of the stuff I'd heard sounded interesting, and the complaints (weird ending, slow parts) aren't things that generally bother me, so I picked it up today. I just felt a really strong urge to buy it, and I haven't been burned on blind buys yet

most of the stuff I'd heard sounded interesting, and the complaints (weird ending, slow parts) aren't things that generally bother me, so I picked it up today. I just felt a really strong urge to buy it, and I haven't been burned on blind buys yet

Any opinions so far? I've never seen a ton of opinions on the show, so I'm interested in seeing one or two beside the anime on dvd

one :P

Well, I downloaded a couple of others animes and checked them out.

Please Twins! (sequel to Please Teacher!) is nowhere near as good as the original. No compelling characters, and only a passing nod to the original with Ichigo (who's gone from funnily sarcastic to being a snooping bitch) and Mizuho (who's even more of a lamebrain then in the the first series) showing up in every episode and others making cameo appearances throughout the series. Kamashiro (the male lead) is actually a litte bit interesting in that he tries to balance school, a full time job as a computer programmer, and living on his own all at the same time. Miina is loud and walks the thin line between "confident" and "obnoxious" and doesn't always ends up on the pleasant side. Karen (to reference Love Hina, still one of my favorites) acts like Shinobu and sounds like Mutsumi (at least she does in the English dub). She's so quiet she almost disappears.

The artwork and animation is still very good, but the characters are fairly boring and and the plot moves at a crawl. Quite a bit of fan service (including several frontal shots of Miina and Karan) but they're built like 12 year olds so it's more of an "Ehhhh, why?" reaction than anything else.

I also (on a recommendation) watched Hand Maid May. I think I can sum it up with the phrase "relentlessly cute". Everyone's cute, the situations are cute, and the artwork is "cute". Fan service is limited to a LOT of upskirt shots and quite a bit of jiggling. Things get a bit weird in the last couple of episode with some time-travelling guest characters and a problem that throws all the way back to the beginning of the series. May is nice, sweet, and innocent without being annoying and the "hero" of this (eventual) harem piece, Kazuya, is a pleasant sort who seems slightly befuddled by all the attention (reminds me of a less clumsy, slightly more confident and intelligent Keitarou from "Love Hina"). Even the third part of the love triangle, Kazuya's longtime friend Kasumi (the source of most of the fan service shots) is a tomboyish sort who likes May and engages in a friendly competition with her for Kazuya's attention. Finally, the foil to our hero, Nanbara, is a funnily idiotic comic relief who ends up (somehow) on everyone's good side by the end of the 11 part (10 episodes and an OAV) series. Artwork is good and animation is very well done (static shots and other such money savers are at a minimum). Special mention to the opening credits and song which are, or course, cute.

To complete my "robot girl" phase I'm downloading Chobits. Thoughts to follow if anyone wants. Or even if no one wants, since I don't have much else to do at the moment.

I underestimated how bad Trinity Blood would be. I've just about given up on it.

TB is *compellingly* stupid and derivative. I love it on a level I usually reserve for crap b-movies.

Chobits was an interesting take on love and how love should depend on who the person is, not anything else. Anime does a good job adapting what was told in the manga.

The ending of Chobits nearly pissed me the hell off. But, it redeemed itself in the last 7 minutes or so. I should have known better since it is CLAMP, who don't always go for the melancholy and/or bittersweet ending.

I still felt like the whole series moved too slow though. They took 24 episodes (I'm not counting the 3 recap eps.) to tell a story that could have been told in maybe 15-18 episodes. Plus, they didn't even introduce what could have been two of the more interesting characters (Zima and Dita) until the series was almost over.

I picked this one up cold so I knew nothing about it's tie ins to Angelic Layer. Again, it was CLAMP so I should have considered the possibility. However, I do take issue with one of the connections that basically blows up the canon for the AL anime. It does make more sense in the mangas and I guess that's what's important, but it was weird seeing it. If you've seen Chobits and AL, you probably know what I'm talking about.

I also Limewired "Golden Boy". I have very mixed feeling about this, but leaning towards positive. The only real negative I have is the English dub for the main character, a 25 year old named Kintaro who specializes in travelling the country on his mountain bike doing temp jobs. He then invariably ends up in trouble, only to somehow end up not only getting out of it but helping out everyone around him.

The animation is a mixed bag. It's a strange mishmash of quite realistic close ups and some outright cartoonish expressions by Kintaro with a couple of live action static shots thrown in in the last episode. As for the voices, the secondary characters are usually well done. As for Kintaro, I have mixed feelings. Most of the time he sounds like a strange cross between a California surfer and Yogi Bear. However, every once in a while, he has the funniest line readings I've heard. Aboslutely hilarious. Usually it involves the episode's love interest (who is usually jiggling away right in front of him). All in all, it's a fun watch if you've got a couple of hours (it's only 6 episodes).

I love Angelic Layer if only for the killer clothesline that girl throws in the first episode/volume...I think it looked better in the manga, though. I think she uses a Boston crab later, as well. Speaking of wrestling moves, have there been any good wrestling anime since Tiger Mask? The only thing I can think of that came close was Ayane's High Kick, which inspired one of my OAOAST character, but it's still more about kickboxing than wrestling

I love Angelic Layer if only for the killer clothesline that girl throws in the first episode/volume...I think it looked better in the manga, though. I think she uses a Boston crab later, as well. more about kickboxing than wrestling

Yeah I saw some nice wrestling moves. The Boston Crab was nice (had it sunk in nice and deep, almost like an old school Walls of Jericho) and if I remember correctly there was a suplex in one of the matches, but the running clothesline was the best. Almost looked like Christopher Daniels' judo trip/clothesline combo.

Guest supercool

I remember someone on a boat hitting a double clothesline in the St. Seiya anime. It was exactly how you would see it in wrestling. I cheered.

Seeing wrestling moves in anime is always great. Girls Bravo sees Kirie throw out a Shining Wizard, Burning Hammer, Russian Legsweep, and a picture perfect Rolling Elbow for comedic effect throughout the series.

I finally sat through the first two episodes of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and I'm already liking what I'm seeing.

^_^ Another member of Haruhiism. Yes... We've converted another soul to the greatness and glory of Haruhi. ^_^

...ahem...

I've been wondering if I should invest any time into FMA the anime. Any differences between it and the manga?

^_^ Another member of Haruhiism. Yes... We've converted another soul to the greatness and glory of Haruhi. ^_^

...ahem...

I've been wondering if I should invest any time into FMA the anime. Any differences between it and the manga?

I'm kinda tired so if I'm completely wrong about you talking about Full Metal Alchemist, then just disregard this post.

But yeah, FMA the anime and FMA the manga appear to be very different from what I can tell. Lots of little and big things make the two different. Not to mention the anime come to an end while the manga is still running IIRC.

Any opinions so far? I've never seen a ton of opinions on the show, so I'm interested in seeing one or two beside the anime on dvd

one :P

I'm a few DVDs into it, and it's pretty good so far. Parts of it kinda reminded me of Bourne Identity at the beginning. Right now it's at one of those places where it's been good so far, but the way the plot is going it could get really good or turn into a complete clusterfuck

...ahem...

I'm kinda tired so if I'm completely wrong about you talking about Full Metal Alchemist, then just disregard this post.

But yeah, FMA the anime and FMA the manga appear to be very different from what I can tell. Lots of little and big things make the two different. Not to mention the anime come to an end while the manga is still running IIRC.

The anime is an enjoyable if not thoroughly faithful adaptation. Keep in mind I've only seen snippets of the manga, but from what I've read I prefer the brevity and changes to the story. It's pretty satisfying overall.

Yes, it was Full Metal Alchemist. That's all I know of as FMA. ...is there something else that can be refered to as FMA?

Anyways, good to know as I'm a fan of FMA, but the manga seems quite long and stuff (and I've got enough uncompleted manga as is), and I figured that the anime might be a shorter route for the time being as long as it was faithful.

Looking at the manga, the storylines start to really diverge around volume 8

especially with the introduction of the people from Xing, Xiao Mei as well Lin and his servants

. Also worthy of note is

the change in the Homunculi denotation, Wrath now being Fuhrer Bradley, Sloth a very large man instead of Bradley's secretary/the Elrics' mother, and no signs of a Pride just yet

Given the source material available at the time (I've read that FMA had only been created up to volume 3 at the time of the production of the anime), the anime does the manga alot of justice. It could very well surpass its own source material storywise depending on where the manga decides to go.

I actually watched FMA in the living room and I was in for a surprise.

My parents actually watched and were interested in the story. I'm kinda stunned here, because its very hard to get them to watch anime because they think the art's odd as well as I had it in subtitles.

But they actually watched most of it, so I kinda felt good about it. Now if only I can corrupt them a little more.

Well, no reviews you lucky folks. Just felt like bumping. Only thing I've actually finished is Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure which is actually a pretty interesting take on your usual mecha anime. Nice artwork, good characters, and a fun little storyline. Only problem I had is that it fell apart a bit at the end in that the resolution didn't make sense in spots. I'm willing to blame it on something lost in translation on the dub though. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Working my way through Kimagure Orange Road and having trouble really getting into it. Something about it is turning me off of it. Can't put my finger on why.

Well, School Rumble 2nd Term's done. Now I just gotta wait till March or April for 3rd Term... Damn this series.

In the meantime, I've been working on re-watching/finishing Rurouni Kenshin. I had only seen what CN played before, and just finished Kyoto the other night, god bless Netflix.

Inless this show completely falls apart during the "Christian" arc like I've heard it might, I can't say I've watched a better Anime from all aspects. Storyline, characters, visuals, music. Kyoto's also probably the best "arc" I've ever seen. Even on the second watching, everything was as good as the first time.

I've heard this would've been the greatest anime of all time, but the final season destroys it. And the last arc in the manga never was ported over. So yeah, same deal. ...yes, I haven't really watched a lot of animes.

Fall 2006 Lineup

From this lineup, I'm only seeing a few shows that interest me.

Death Note (just because a lot of people like it), Negima!? (based on Mahou Sensei Negima, but not related besides characters and I'm a sucker for all things Negima), Kanon (because I liked the original), Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro na Crescent Love (art catches my eye and just draws me in), and Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi (its done by the guys who did Ouran, enough said)

There are some others, but those I'll likely check out this Fall. :) Can't wait.