TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

I'm still following School Rumble, technically on the second season which is called...School Rumble 2nd. New releases are generally upped and transed around Tuesday and Thursday. I had to fucking Youtube the latest (19) because I couldn't get it to download from the site I use.

They've thankfully dropped alot of the insanity. It's still there, but there's alot more heart in the story now then there was in the first season. If shit isn't wrapped up in this one, I'm gonna kill someone though.

The mangaka is over 10 volumes in Japan. We're covering about 160 volumes with episode 19, so we've still got story to go. But I think the point of the manga is more about school life and the time you spend and not the actual relationships.

However the main romance seems to be heading to the Flag Faction, which I'm all in favor for.

The perfect Azumanga finale is Osaka snapping and killing everyone in the last summer home episode. Everything that we saw after is just a dream by the survivors while on their death bed.

This is what a Higurashi marathon does to you...

I too would recommend Texhnolyze and Lain (Gotta love the Juno Reactor intro to Texhnolyze). Both are slow series, but they really are worth the effort to watch. Couldn't get into Paranoia agent.

For some good 'ol fantasy action the second Vampire Hunter D movie (Bloodlust) is much better IMO than the original. Done in a very similar style to Ninja Scroll.

Speaking of, avoid the Ninja Scroll Tv Series at all costs. Unless you just like seeing hilariously awful character designs. Which is really weird, seeing as its done by the same guy who did the designs for Bloddlust and the Ninja Scroll movie.

And Berzerk is a terribly violent, and terribly good manga.

I tried watching Ninja Scroll and felt all my life being sucked from me, yeah it was that bad. I also think that VHD 2 is better than the original.

I'd say both the VHD movies had their bright spots, but overall I enjoyed the original way more. I can't really say *WHY* because it's been so long since I watched either. I just remembering liking it more. I think it was the villian. He kicked ass.

I tried watching Ninja Scroll and felt all my life being sucked from me, yeah it was that bad. I also think that VHD 2 is better than the original.

Movie or show? The movie's good fun. Good animation and char design, violence galore, good fight scenes. It is what it is.

I saw Ninja Scroll and was kind of torn on it. On one hand it was the typical epic journey with a dark hero. The blood geysers and over the top violence were off-putting, to say the least.

In other news, I've been acquiring Trigun and watched about the first half. Good voice work (the English dub is surprisingly good) although the animation looks a bit dated in spots. I must say, episodes 11-13 surprised me with the way Vash changed as a character. Wolfwood and Vash together are hilarious, but from things I've heard I have a bad feeling about that friendship.

Okay here's my issue. I've owned a VHS copy of Akira for well over 10 years. This has the original English dub on it (with Cam Clarke, aka Leonardo from Ninja Turtles, as Kaneda) but I cannot seem to figure out which DVD release has this dub on it. The only ones I can find say "new English dub" - which I've checked out and am not fond of. I want my original nostaligic voice-acting, dammit!

Any help?

The old dub was produced by Orion and Streamline. The 'new English dub' you found is the Geneon version.

According to Wikipedia the closest you'll get to the original dub on DVD is by ordering the UK only Ultimate Edition, which has the Orion version on the second disc.

The old dub was produced by Orion and Streamline. The 'new English dub' you found is the Geneon version.

According to Wikipedia the closest you'll get to the original dub on DVD is by ordering the UK only Ultimate Edition, which has the Orion version on the second disc.

That works for me. Thank god for region free dvd-player hacks!

I remember that "Kaneda! Tetsuo!" being even more pronounced in the original dub. My favorite moment of the movie: "Tetsuo!" *tries to kill demigod with a large rock*

I really have to finish my collection of the Akira Manga. I mean, it's really cheap compared to most series.

Oh! Here's one I can't believe I forgot: Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind manga is a much longer story than the anime, and it's all drawn by Miyazaki. At four volumes, it's another relatively cheap manga.

It's too bad Masamune Shirow now just seems to want to draw pinups instead of trying to have a decent end to Appleseed, his best, most acclaimed work. Hell, I think they're already making a sequel to the newest flick.

Anybody seen this "Shin-Chan" show on Adult swim? I love this show. It's fucking hysterical.

I realize that most who check this thread out are into anime already, but for those of you who are just getting into it I recommend Cowboy Bepop. I've got the movie (which is pretty good as a stand alone) which serves as a fair primer on the characters, but I just got the complete set. Great show. If nothing else check out the music (courtesy of Yoko Kanno) which is some of the best I've heard. The music plays a huge part of the show in setting the mood of each episode and the characters. Excellent combination of blues, rock (and not even J-pop for the most part), and even some blues thrown in. I've heard there's a soundtrack CD out somewhere, and I might have to pick it up.

Have these eggheads even considered how their reclassification of Pluto messes up the Sailor Moon canon?

Maybe the live action show--if they haven't used her yet--can have her played by a dwarf girl.

Guest Tsukuyomi

They should have like, a troupe of travelling midgets play her and all the dwarfs out there. :D

Ugh, never mind. I'll have to hit up Limewire.

Too tedious. Just hit up one of the torrent sites and find one with all the soundtracks. I think boxtorrents is where I found the one I used.

Adult Swim began running their Bleach promos. Of course it's not a fair representation, but Ichigo and Rukia's voices will still take some getting used to. At least Ichigo sounds like he's actually fifteen, though.

Ugh, never mind. I'll have to hit up Limewire.

Too tedious. Just hit up one of the torrent sites and find one with all the soundtracks. I think boxtorrents is where I found the one I used.

Eh, I found a bunch of them on Limewire. I got most of the ones I wanted. I seem to have a problem figuring out torrents. I'm just old fashioned I guess.

Why did AS wait so late to start showing Bleach promos when they've been running Trinity Blood ones for about 2 months now?

That aside, Ichigo's voice sounds pretty good from what we've heard in the promo spot. Rukia sounds meh, but I hate Rukia so fuck her.

I hope Isshin's voice kicks ass because him beating the crap out of Ichigo and vice versa was money in the beginning of the show before Ishida showed up.

Especially when Bleach is supposed to be the cash cow, so who the hell knows.

Patrick Seitz is supposed to voice Isshin, but from one look at his animenewsnetwork page he's mostly done stuff I'm unfamiliar with.

I hope Isshin's voice kicks ass because him beating the crap out of Ichigo and vice versa was money in the beginning of the show before Ishida showed up.

Seconded. That and anything involving Orihime and Chizuru, both of whom better be great. I've got faith in Wendee Lee as Tatsuki because Wendee Lee usually does that sort of role well, but I c

Also, the same guy who does Sasuke in the Naruto dub playing Keigo Asano in the Bleach dub makes me laugh my ass off for some reason. From bratty, self-absorbed prodigy to complete and utter schmuck. Beautiful.

Has anyone gotten a chance to check out this new Castle of Cagliostro DVD Manga put out? I have the old one from way back when, it was pretty extra less, but this is supposed to be a 2 disc set