TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

I'll bump, just because I finished watching Samurai Champloo. What a hell of a series. I think I like Bebop a little better, but that's like comparing better to best.

I feel the same way. Cowboy Bebop is my favorite series ever, but Samurai Champloo is in a very close second. I haven't watched either series in quite some time now, but I listen to at least one song from either of the amazing soundtracks every single day.

My favorite between Bebop and Champloo switches continually. Though Champloo's ending still makes sense I thought it was kinda cheap and didn't have the payoff that Bebop did... it's that which Bebop really has an advantage on while I prefer the mood and setting of Champloo.

I prefer Bebop over Champloo, mostly because I'm not so fond of Champloo's really bizarre fillers (the graffiti episode, for one) whereas Bebop's fillers were always really, really good. Which isn't to take anything away from Champloo, of course, because as a whole it's pretty fantastic.

One of my favorite things about Bebop was the Soundtrack. Sure, Chanploo had a good one, but Bebop's is one of my alltime favorite soundtracks.

Graffiti episode was awesome. Illiterate Mugen? Win.

The only one I didn't really like was the zombie episode, Cosmic Collisions. Yeah, I love zombies, but even in a series like Champloo it didn't fit in.

Speaking of zombies, I've heard of a manga called "Highschool of the Dead", which seems awesome. Is it any good?

Actually, one of Champloo's filler episodes (Baseball Blues) is my favorite episode of any anime series ever. The mushroom/zombie episode really wasn't that great, admittedly, mainly because of its lousy timing. What's the point of sticking a nonsensical filler episode right before the three-part finale?

Speaking of zombies, I've heard of a manga called "Highschool of the Dead", which seems awesome. Is it any good?

Other than a slightly misleading title since they quickly abandon the school itself, it's been pretty good. You can download all translations released up to now here.

For more zombies there's Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou but after the first really fun episode it's kind of taken a step back and seemingly dropped the zombie thing, devolving into a grotesque monster of the week type of format instead, at least for the time being.

And since we're on the topic of creep now, one of my favorites from last year, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, should be coming stateside later this year courtesy of Geneon.

Tekkaman Blade is good, and manages to do the same ending as Zeta Gundam, only without the stupid "OMG, newtype jedi powerz!" and suddenly appearing in 15 minutes, Tekkaman Blade does it over a period of nine or so episodes were things(Already bad for D-Boy[main character] go even worse) and tell a better story, it's fairly old, but good.

Or you can by the lesser Teknoman on DVD, you're call..but Teknoman only goes up to episode 43 and that's it..it's missing the proper ending and crams four episodes into one in a really bad way.

So Ayakashi Ayashi was a really good, unique show with great direction as usual from Bones and a thick plot but not so much as to be inaccessible or so one would think. It really became a victim of circumstance, seeing its episode order cut in half and essentially cancelled with a rushed ending; it needed the full fifty-two in order to see its full potential and scope realized but in the end Japan just didn't get into it. Thankfully the ending was left open for a continuation but unless Bones cranks out some OVAs or something it'll go down simply as an underappreciated and likely forgotten show instead of something potentially great. Shame.

Just to bounce this back up top, but also since I know how people like saving money.

Rightstuf is having a 40% off sale. I think that's 40% off EVERYTHING, but you might need to double check it. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Edit: It appears that it's by the PUBLISHER Right Stuf, not the whole website. That's what threw me. Anyway, the sale is for Right Stuf, AnimeTrax, and Critical Mass products.

What anime series' have the word "black" in the title? So far all I could think of were Bible Black and Noir (technically it counts). Preferably ones that are commercially available on DVD in the states.

Black Jack, Black Heaven, Black Cat, Black Blood Brothers, Darker Than Black and Black Lagoon.

Black Jack is by Osamu Tezuka. There are a few iterations of the series which I need to watch again, the most recent being a sequel last year and the character also appears in Ray The Animation, another recent series.

Black Heaven I've never seen but it sounds interesting and was apparently released by Geneon. Almost like FLCL from the sound of it.

I don't know much about Black Cat except that it's recent and is being released by FUNimation.

Black Blood Brothers is a vampire series which isn't great by any means, but is so short that it doesn't require heavy investment. Licensed by FUNimation but yet to be released.

Darker Than Black is a new series which is currently being subbed and is very, very good.

Black Lagoon is one of my favorites. It's from last year and consists of Black Lagoon and Black Lagoon: Second Barrage. It's currently being released by Geneon. Plenty of guns, blood, etc.

Oh. There's Black Magic M-66 which I must've seen a million times but remember nothing about. It's been a rerun favorite of premium channels like Starz for years.

So Haruhi S2 has been confirmed. No air date has been announced but the speculation is that Clannad will be pushed back and Haruhi will take the fall/winter position. Relevant images are here and the teaser vid is here. From the looks of things Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and the Disappearance novel will be covered.

Assuming there are another 14 episodes and BLR/Disappearance take up six, I figure the student movie/Sighs of Suzumiya will get one to fill in the holes there. Endless Eight will get one. Charmed at First Sight will get one. Snow Mountain Syndrome/Where Did The Cat Go will get three. Depending on how they handle the Melancholy of Mikuru since it's closer in tone to the next group of novels/a presumed S3 (but could be used to set that up along with Snow Mountain) then they could throw in the Suzumiya Haruhi Theater story.

Anyway, to varying degrees, the crap I'm watching currently: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Heroic Age, Darker Than Black, Skull Man, Seirei no Moribito, Engage Planet, El Cazador, Lucky Star, Hayate no Gotoku, Seto no Hanayome, Nagasarete Airantou, Lovely Complex, Hitohira.

The new season has already started: Devil May Cry, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, Zero no Tsukaima S2, Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou S2, Zombie Loan, School Days, Geass 24 & 25, Mushi-Uta, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, among others. Though Shigurui looks to have samurai and loads of violence which could make it a watch.

Devil May Cry has started? Dammit. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for the DVD release so I can get opinions as to it's quality. Plus, ADV does a good job (usually) with it's DVD releases.

Now I just have to get my sets of Excel Saga and Cromartie High School back from my cousin so I can finally get my way through them. After that I'm out of new stuff though (finished up Tenchi Muyo, I guess I can watch the movies). I'll have to see what's lying around. or what's on sale at rightstuf.com.

Yeah, it's up to episode four in Japan but only the first two have been subbed, while some of those other titles haven't even started yet.

Good job on Cromartie High School.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Most overrated mecha series of the year by a fucking landside. Kotetsushin Jeeg(Steel God Jeeg) is far better. Then again..don't say that on /m/ on 4chan or the /m/orons will flame you to hell and back for not sucking Gainax's cock and proclaiming it the end all, be all of mecha anime.

Then again, pretty much every Go Nagai mecha show is far better than Gainax's overrated bullshit and their love of the Vince Russo "SWERVE!" endings.

Yeah, it's up to episode four in Japan but only the first two have been subbed, while some of those other titles haven't even started yet.

Good job on Cromartie High School.

Yeah I watched the first 2 episodes before he "borrowed" the set. I've never read the manga so I don't know the setup completely (which the anime gleefully taunts me with) but it's so offbeat it's strangely hilarious. I love the dramatically overdone artwork with the heavy lines too. Such an overly dramatic look for what's ultimately almost a screwball comedy.

I won't deny that Gurren Lagann is overrated but it's still not without its merits. But Yoko is the main reason most of anonymous rushes to defend it anyway, so who cares. And yes, although I've enjoyed some things they've done since, Gainax has coasted ever since the 90s.

At any rate I do need to catch up on all the mecha lately. Reideen, Dancouga Nova, Kotetsushin Jeeg, etc., I still need to watch all the way through.

Yeah I watched the first 2 episodes before he "borrowed" the set. I've never read the manga so I don't know the setup completely (which the anime gleefully taunts me with) but it's so offbeat it's strangely hilarious. I love the dramatically overdone artwork with the heavy lines too. Such an overly dramatic look for what's ultimately almost a screwball comedy.

I've read some but stopped when I found that one of the chapters out of what I downloaded was missing and I haven't bothered with re-downloading it yet. They could easily make a sequel since they left a lot out.

The style brings it together. The heavy lines and shadows, etc., is a carryover from the juvenile delinquent manga it parodies and basically replicating the manga (minimal movement, the dramatic pauses) is the best thing they could've done with it.

I still need to get around to watching the Cromartie movie while I'm at it. Even if their casting choice for Freddie was really odd.

The Haruhi references are executed well and Kyoto continues to find new ways to fit them all in, but they've been occurring too often as of late. It's nice to see the secondary characters getting some attention. Meito Anizawa/Anime Tenchou is hilarious and I always look forward to his appearances. Minoru Shiraishi is awesome.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is alright. It's a typical Shaft production and if one is into their style, it's worthwhile. It's only twelve episodes long, I believe, and if it were any more than that it would likely start to run dry. The OP and ED are pretty good too.

so I'm really enjoying Naruto Shippuuden, despite random episodes where the animation is just... ugly, ugly as hell. I don't read the manga, but those who do tell me that it's being played out faithfully albeit slower than people would like.

<3 Team Gai!

There have been a few additions and changes. First, I don't think Gaara/Deidara went nearly as long as it did and Team Gai/Their Clones didn't have this much to it either.

Though the bit with Sasuke that opened up Shippuuden is direct from the manga, we didn't get it this early. They also changed the order of the first couple episodes and added more of Konohamaru and his team.

Temari and Kankuro's squad heading for the battle site was never in the manga, they just showed up, basically. Incidentally, Matsuri was a manga character whose one and only appearance was at the end of this arc. She was then added to the filler in Naruto as Gaara's student and then showed up in Shippuuden as she is now.

Otherwise it's been pretty faithful.