TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CurryMan

World Cup 2006 in Germany

Well now I'm torn. I want a dark horse and Portugal is the only candidate left, but my English blood won't let me root against them, either (which, of course, leaves the question of what I would do in an England-Germany final)

Getting a better manager would only help you short term, creating a setup that brings through quality players should be your priority even if it takes 10 years to do.

Would FIFA really pull the plug on the World Cup being in South Africa, especially with it being the first one in the African continent?

I had heard it has become one of the more dangerous places, but had no idea it was this bad. My guess is South Africa will get their head out of their asses and realize how much exposure and MONEY the World Cup will bring to them and try to clean it up.

I don't know how many people will travel to South Africa, that's the real concern. Venue placement and crime rate are the big issues, the venue in Cape Town is going to be far, far away from everything else and many feel it's unsafe to travel from Cape Town to the other venues by the road.

The venues have to be top notch and the crime rate has to be cut down a lot. You can't travel by night there. I'd still love to see a World Cup in Africa, I just don't know if there's really a place that's stable enough.

Getting a better manager would only help you short term, creating a setup that brings through quality players should be your priority even if it takes 10 years to do.

I know, and this setup should be "get the players to Europe". MLS will grow eventually.

Couldn't some of your MLS teams be feeder clubs for a european team? it might make your league look inferior but it does give the young players a "way in" to a top club.

Look whats it's done for the Ivory Coast.

Couldn't some of your MLS teams be feeder clubs for a european team? it might make your league look inferior but it does give the young players a "way in" to a top club.

Americans would never - NEVER - want anything of theirs to be seen as something inferior. Especially if it's Europe they're being inferior to.

I think it would be a good idea for the next 10 years, then everything would be established enough that some players would want to come here instead of shying away. If the MLS was used as a feeder, the league would be better than it is now.

I know that Ajax has a feeder team in Orlando in the USL (low, low division in the US). I'd be fine with it, as long as the connections are good. Quite a few of the players in the MLS could play a role in Europe, but in the French, Dutch and Belgian leagues. There's probably 5 players in the league that could actually play in the Premiership, or Bundesliga. I don't think any of the American players want to play in Italy or Spain.

Americans would never - NEVER - want anything of theirs to be seen as something inferior. Especially if it's Europe they're being inferior to.

But the reality is that the USA teams are not the best in the world in any team sport. Just look at the basketball and baseball failures in the Olympics, World Games, the Classic, hell I bet the Steelers would lose to the NFL Europe champion if they played. Change the M in MLS to Minor cause it isn't exactly setting the country or the world on fire.

There's probably 5 players in the league that could actually play in the Premiership..

I'm sure most American players would find the Language and lifestyle easier to adjust to but the Problem with England is Work Permits.

The rules make it difficult for a young American to join an English club unless the player's family move here before he's 17 or he plays regular international football for 2 years to get a WP.

It's much easier getting Africans, for example Ivory Coast's main club send most of their players to Beveren(Arsenal's main feeder club) in Belgium where it's easy to get a Work Permit, after about a year they can move anywhere in the world without needing to be regulars for the country.

I didn't think it was that hard to attain the work permit, but I've heard of players not being able to come over because of the permits. Now I know. If Adu comes to Chelsea, which feeder team would they send him to? I hate the way that Chelsea spends money and would like it to stop, but I'm curious.

It happened to Ronaldinho and Petr Cech who couldn't join Arsenal 5 or 6 years ago because they weren't regulars for the country.

Adu should be ok getting a work permit as he's well known around the football world.

As for joining Chelsea they don't need him at the moment with Ballack,Lampard,Makelele,Essien,Geremi,Diarra and Obi Mikel in Midfield and them playing 1 striker in the usual formation.

If he did join he might be sent to PSV Eindhoven first with Chelsea having First Option on him in 2 or 3 years, they did that with a Brazilian Centre Back called Alex.

Guest Jimbo

But the reality is that the USA teams are not the best in the world in any team sport. Just look at the basketball and baseball failures in the Olympics, World Games, the Classic, hell I bet the Steelers would lose to the NFL Europe champion if they played. Change the M in MLS to Minor cause it isn't exactly setting the country or the world on fire.

Surely we have the best basketball program if organized properly.

Damn, that sucked.

Can't say we ever looked like we deserved to win the world cup though.

Guest The Beta Male

portugal goalie made some quality saves.. fair enough.

things that were funny:

the commentators contradicting themselves every time circumstances changed

"rooney is tha man"

*sent off

"well, he`s not THAT important..."

things that sucked:

portugals consistant tactic of falling down lots.

in every game.

i want to see a game commentated by waldorf & statler.

I knew Ronaldo was going to be the guy to win it once Lampard missed his PK at the beginning. I don't think he'll be welcome back at Man U after the shoving and headbutting (before the game) incident with Rooney.

Guest Hemme
I knew Ronaldo was going to be the guy to win it once Lampard missed his PK at the beginning.

Lampard? Waste of fucking space, he did fuck all, all tournament, then misses a penalty. Wanker.

Hey Sven, bye mate, you were shit, good ridence. Way to pick a team, you pick Theo Walcott, over proven international players, & then dont play him? You joke.

Want to improve the English game? How about the 5 forigen players per team role? Because the current team is full of overpaid, boozed up wankers who have no passion for the game, but like their wages.

It happened to Ronaldinho and Petr Cech who couldn't join Arsenal 5 or 6 years ago because they weren't regulars for the country.

Adu should be ok getting a work permit as he's well known around the football world.

As for joining Chelsea they don't need him at the moment with Ballack,Lampard,Makelele,Essien,Geremi,Diarra and Obi Mikel in Midfield and them playing 1 striker in the usual formation.

If he did join he might be sent to PSV Eindhoven first with Chelsea having First Option on him in 2 or 3 years, they did that with a Brazilian Centre Back called Alex.

Who owns Chelsea and how do they have all this money? They make some signings that are just ridiculous.

I did not see this result coming at all. Brazil looked as though they were going to roll right over France coming into this game, but it's not to be as France makes it to the semis and fills the last spot in a tournament that now solely consists of European teams. Great game, and good on France for the upset.

I was on the road today and missed both games, but I'm glad Brazil is gone, at least.

The all-Europe final four guarantees a continuation of Europe always winning in Europe (save for once), while South America always wins outside Europe

Ha, I called France winning. They looked really hot going into that game. Zidane played amazing.

I hope Portugal gets knocked out. The worst possible final would be Italy/Portugal. Imagine the dives in that one. I think if France was able to contain Brazil, they should be able to do the same to Portugal.

Italy better not fucking win.

The worst possible final would be Italy/Portugal. Imagine the dives in that one.

If there exists a possibility of an 8 on 8 game due to diving induced red cards that would be the one. I wouldn't bother watching that one even if someone paid me.

That's a great final, if Portugal and the Netherlands was an indication.

Seriously, everyone's doing the diving now and kicking people in the balls.