TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

2006 NBA Finals

I don't have a problem with guys signing with one team to try to win a title, but my problem is with guys that whore themselves out to anyone that will take them (Payton) just for the ring. Payton ruined the way that people perceived him and ruined his legacy.

Yeah, I don't know how even the players themselves can't think of getting a ring by whoring themselves off to an already successful team as just a little cheap. I always root against players like that. I have a ton of respect for guys like Reggie Miller who may not get a title, but at least they retire with dignity in an organization that cares about them.

If they want to win a title, then I see no problem with signing as a free agent to a contending team and trying to be a part of that. In the end, it's all about winning, so why not try to go out with a title?

I guess if you just want the ring as a souvenir from your NBA run, that would be ok. It would've meant so much more if Payton could've gotten it in 96 when he was actually a contributor to a successful team. Right now, he deserves a ring about as much as Michael Doleac or Wayne Simien.

Guest Felonies!

Barron says it's okay to whore yourself out for a ring, but evacuates his bowels when Alonzo Mourning tries to.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Ripper, there were two coaches in the Finals. Avery Johnson was the losing coach. How do you justify saying Avery Johnson was the better coach?

He diagrammed a play for Dirk Nowitzki and the Heat stopped it. Advantage Riley.

Riley played a lineup that limited Johnson's best player. Advantage Riley.

Johnson's team tried to limit Riley's best player but they couldn't. Advantage Riley.

Johnson's team won the first two games and then got beat four times in a row. Advantage RIley.

Johnson tried to use a conspiracy against his team as a source for anger and motivation. Riley motivated the team by being confident that they would win and do so as a good team. The Heat won. Advantage Riley.

Guest Felonies!

Pat Riley is the pinnacle, that means he reigns supreme and he's nototrious he crushed Avery Johnson like a jely bean.

Barron says it's okay to whore yourself out for a ring, but evacuates his bowels when Alonzo Mourning tries to.

Totally different situation. Someone refusing to play basketball and screwing over two teams is not the same as being a free agent and signing with a team.

I don't have a problem with guys signing with one team to try to win a title, but my problem is with guys that whore themselves out to anyone that will take them (Payton) just for the ring. Payton ruined the way that people perceived him and ruined his legacy.

As a Jazz fan I didn't have anything against Karl going to LA trying to get that Ring, and felt bad that he didn't get it. But Payton is a different situation since he did just float around Shaq figuring he'd get a ring eventually.

Payton's stock in my eyes fell in that case. He used to be one of the most feared perimeter defenders in the league, now he's just the guy who clung to Shaq for a ring. Sad really.

As another Jazz fan, I didn't mind Malone going to the Lakers in the 2003-2004 season either since he wasn't going to win a title in Utah after Stockton and Hornacek left and the team wasn't solid heading into that season.

If you didn't get a warm feeling inside watching Mitch Richmond knock down a jumper in the waining seconds of one of the Lakers championships to end his career with a ring there is something wrong with you.

Mitch Richmond....the single most underrated player in modern basketball history.

Why the fuck not. Mitch gave the Kings everything he had for what, 7 years. Then they traded him. After resigning to that sorry ass team that refused to add a single fucking piece around him to help them to the playoffs. Even after watching Gary St. Jean lead one of the most incredible second half of the season collapses I have personally ever seen, he still was out there gunning for them. Mitch deserved a ring more than alot of the other superstars from his time, mostly because people still remember them.

Mitch gets completely forgotten. Well...at least he gets to look at his ring.

The ring that he was given by Phil Jackson and Jerry West.

Which is ok, it's not like he slobbered all over Shaq's knob the whole way around the league to get it.

Guest Vitamin X

That was the last of the threepeat years too, wasn't it?

That was the best run IMO.

Think so.

2001 was an asskicking of everyone on the way there. Wasn't as fun.

2000 was my favorite. The Lakers were my favorite team from the day I knew what basketball was and I was sick of seeing them get their asses handed to them when it mattered.

Guest Felonies!
The ring that he was given by Phil Jackson and Jerry West.

Which is ok, it's not like he slobbered all over Shaq's knob the whole way around the league to get it.

Wait, Payton only played with Shaq on the 2004 Lakers and 2006 Heat. How was he following Shaq around the league? What the hell was he doing in Milwaukee and Boston? Pesky layovers?

He wanted to follow Shaq when he left the Lakers, couldn't, then wanted to go to Miami while with Boston.

I'm sorry, but he and his terrible attitude piss me off. I'll never give him the benefit of the doubt. He's a shitty teammate from all accounts and a notorious shit talker. He could give a shit about the game, he's more comfortable with talking to referees during play when the ball's going to be coming back to him. He's a stupid individual that's never been about his team. He whored himself out for a title and that's the way I see it.

Why the fuck not. Mitch gave the Kings everything he had for what, 7 years. Then they traded him. After resigning to that sorry ass team that refused to add a single fucking piece around him to help them to the playoffs. Even after watching Gary St. Jean lead one of the most incredible second half of the season collapses I have personally ever seen, he still was out there gunning for them. Mitch deserved a ring more than alot of the other superstars from his time, mostly because people still remember them.

Mitch gets completely forgotten. Well...at least he gets to look at his ring.

I'd guess that it was just him being in a Laker jersey when he did it. I probably wouldn't have that mindset, but I'm sure there's a lot of Kings fans who feel that way. If Dale Davis got a ring with the Pistons, I'd just wish that we could have won it for him, but I'd still be happy for him.

Also, I'm really not trying to kiss his ass, but Mourning was by no means just along for the ride. The Heat don't make the Finals without Mourning. Payton was expendable.

If you didn't get a warm feeling inside watching Mitch Richmond knock down a jumper in the waining seconds of one of the Lakers championships to end his career with a ring there is something wrong with you.

Mitch Richmond....the single most underrated player in modern basketball history.

I'm sure Dangerous A didn't.

Actually, I didn't and don't care one way or another.

I try not to get into hating whether a particular player does or doesn't get a ring. Once my team is out, hey, let the best team win. Even at the time, I really didn't make a big deal about Mitch getting a ring since he was insignificant in the league at that point. He was done. It could've been just about any 2 guard in the league on the LA roster and it wouldn't have made much of a difference in how things worked out. Mitch was as deserving of a ring as any great player who never got a ring. Good for him. He played like a stud for Sac. They traded him. He bounced from Wash to LA, and that was about it. The Kings retired his jersey shortly thereafter and the ceremony was great.

Mitch was one of the reasons that Sac was even in Finals contention because he led to Webber being a King. No reason to want to see him not get a ring.

He diagrammed a play for Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry stopped it.

EFA

Best edit for accuracy I have seen.