TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest stringerbell

PWTorch notes on TNA

Guest stringerbell
TNA Impact will air in the U.K. on the Player channel, a digital television channel, which expands TNA's exposure by a couple million potential viewers. TNA already airs on The Wrestling Channel in the U.K. on digital satellite.

One TNA insider says that everything Jeff Jarrett does is with one eye on his dream of being the lead babyface in TNA some day, and being accepted and admired by fans in that role... When TNA wrestlers do radio or Internet interviews now, recordings are sent to Jeff Jarrett so he can monitor what's said about the company (and him).

There's a real loss of confidence in Christian in the TNA locker room after what has been deemed a really disappointing series of interviews lately.

TNA has scheduled house shows for July 21 in Williamston, N.C. at the Sen. Bob Martin Eastern Agricultural Center and July 22 in Jacksonville, N.C. at the Commons Rec Center. Advertised names are: Samoa Joe, The America's Most Wanted, A.J. Styles, Christopher Daniels, Abyss, The James Gang, and Rhino.

Monty Brown has seen his push reduced after being pegged a future star by TNA management just a few months ago. One reason is that he put his personal training business ahead of working indy dates and TNA house shows. Brown makes a really good living as a personal trainer, but TNA management believes that he should be willing to sacrifice that to improve himself since he has a long way to go before he's well-rounded enough to be a reliable and consistent top act for TNA. Monty's rep in TNA is similar to Cena in WWE a while back where he was seen as having great potential, but the knock was he was more concerned with being a star than becoming a good worker. Also, management has lost confidence in his mic work because there is concern his promos are too cartoonish and he can't talk more than a minute or two before running out of catch phrases. The fact that Ron Killings is in the King of the Mountain match and Brown isn't may indicate a changing of management's priorities. There are a number of people in power in TNA who believe Killings is worth investing in.

LAX will be given a push in the ring as a tag team after the next PPV. Homicide got off to a slow start because when he signed with TNA he was recovering from a shoulder injury, but also TNA's top brass saw him as too short and not muscular enough to be worth pushing; needless to say, they hadn't seen his ROH work. If Homicide hasn't already, it's expected he'll sign a long-term deal with TNA soon.

Expect Jim Cornette to get involved in the LAX immigration storyline as one of the first controversies he addresses as "the new face of TNA management," as they're calling him. Cornette and Konnan going at it could fill a lot of TV time.

Jeff Jarrett has deferred any questions anyone has regarding the Kevin Nash-X Division storyline to Nash, making it clear to anyone that Nash has creative control in his contract and has been given free reign to book his own storyline. Nash has not caused any problems backstage, which one wrestler says is because there aren't any other power-hungry veterans trying to take his spot. "He's be up to his old sh-- if he had his Clique buddies around and if he were fighting with other top guys for a top spot," says one wrestler. Sting is too laid back for Nash to see him as a threat of any kind... Nash and Scott Steiner have been late to the TV tapings, even though Dixie Carter had stressed that they were going to get serious about enforcing on-time arrivals for talent.

Mike Tenay is not an open advocate of his face being on TV as much as it is; that is Jeff Jarrett's idea because he thinks Tenay is a good "face of the fans" to represent their viewpoint.

Mike Bentley and Lance Hoyt fell out of favor with management due to what they perceived as attitude and ego issues.

The Naturals are scripted for a gimmick overhaul with haircuts and a heel turn.

It didn't take long again for Senshi (Low Ki) to remind people of why he has a rep, as one wrestler put it this week, of being "one of the biggest marks in the world." He is considered nearly impossible to deal with behind the scenes. Jarrett is a huge fan of Gail Kim. A number of people in power in TNA are really impressed with Christy Hemme. "She's not a rocket scientist on wrestling, but she's got energy and charisma and can deliver her lines," says one TNA source.

Herme Sadler, who is promoting TNA house shows, got into a verbal spat with B.G. James when Sadler wanted B.G. & Kip James to job to an impromptu tag team of Petey Williams & Monty Brown. Sadler was already upset with B.G. over no-showing a scheduled autograph session. Sadler put Rhino in B.G.'s slot on the card. The argument ended up getting back to Jeff Jarrett who had to try to quell the controversy and keep both sides happy.

I guess this squashes any hopes of Homicide in ECW. I actually think he could have a bigger impact in TNA, I doubt Vince McMahon would ever give him the opportunity to succeed for his company.

Jeff Jarrett has deferred any questions anyone has regarding the Kevin Nash-X Division storyline to Nash, making it clear to anyone that Nash has creative control in his contract and has been given free reign to book his own storyline.

Okay, and who signed Nash to a deal which included free reign over storylines?

One TNA insider says that everything Jeff Jarrett does is with one eye on his dream of being the lead babyface in TNA some day

I can't wait for this day. :)

I wouldn't mind Jarrett so much if he underwent a character overall and did a face turn at this point. Let's face it, he's not leaving TNA anytime soon, so at least he could do something to make himself a little less boring. I could live with Jarrett turning face, having one last run with the NWA Title, and then retiring to a management position, only wrestling occasionally. Doubt that will happen, but it would be for the best.

Jeff Jarrett has deferred any questions anyone has regarding the Kevin Nash-X Division storyline to Nash, making it clear to anyone that Nash has creative control in his contract and has been given free reign to book his own storyline.

Okay, and who signed Nash to a deal which included free reign over storylines?

Yeah?

Seriously.

At least without his Clique pals around he's playing nice... so far.

One TNA insider says that everything Jeff Jarrett does is with one eye on his dream of being the lead babyface in TNA some day, and being accepted and admired by fans in that role...

Hello Travelocity, I'd like to book a ski vacation to hell please.

Carnival is exculded in my previous statement.

I'm for at least giving Jarrett a face shot. It may be refreshing for his stale character, but I still don't care for him.

One TNA insider says that everything Jeff Jarrett does is with one eye on his dream of being the lead babyface in TNA some day, and being accepted and admired by fans in that role

TNA fans will never accept Jeff Jarrett in the role of lead babyface. If Jeff really thinks he can pull that off, he's living in fantasy land.

And whoever gave Kevin Nash, one of the most notoriously selfish people in wrestling, creative control should be given a pat on the back with a claw hammer.

One TNA insider says that everything Jeff Jarrett does is with one eye on his dream of being the lead babyface in TNA some day, and being accepted and admired by fans in that role... When TNA wrestlers do radio or Internet interviews now, recordings are sent to Jeff Jarrett so he can monitor what's said about the company (and him).

Honestly, this is the sort of stuff that's turned me off pro wrestling. Can there not just be one pro wrestling organization without the bullshit politics fucking up its potential?

As long as wrestlers are scripted to win over another, I don't think so.

And Jarrett was top babyface in the early days. I even rooted for him for a while as he was chasing the belt.

so....who had the belt Jarrett was chasing?

First Ron "The Truth" Killings in a decent feud and then AJ Styles in a saga that went something like this:

- Joe E. Legend gets in Jarrett's way of the title. Jarrett squashes him for a month.

- Christopher Daniels gets in Jarrett's way of the title. Jarrett squashes him for a month.

- ??????

- Jarrett wins title.

Wasn't Jeff Jarrett the Top Babyface before back in the Weekly PPV days?

he started as a heel, feuding with Scott Hall, but they flipped the TNA universe when they put Truth over Shamrock for the belt about 2 months in. I'm pretty sure the plan had been for Jarrett to take the title off Shamrock, but since Truth got over so big as a heel, Jarrett had to turn. I don't really remember how they did it, though I think it was just him declaring he wanted the title and not cheating anymore. Anyway, in one of those "you probably won't believe it unless you saw it moments," he was pretty over. they built-up his title chase well and held off long enough to make the hometown fans want it. I still remember the pop he got the night he told Russo he wasn't going to join SEX...it was pretty insane if you think about it nowadays. The problem they ran into was that although they were going for shades of gray (Jarrett actually beat up Alexis Laree somewhere in there, IIRC), they booked the Raven-Destiny storyline in a way that totally built to Raven winning the title as a babyface. And that didn't happen as we all know, and the crowd called bullshit. Rather than running with that and turning Jarrett immediately and making him a hot heel playing of his WC heat, they keep the title on him and pushed him as a face to finish the SEX story arch (which I'm pretty sure was Jarrett pinnning Disco F'N Inferno in the next month's title defense). And thus, they ruined Jarrett with the Nashville crowd and the Orlando crowd pretty much followed suit. Having seen those early shows though, I think Jarrett could pull off the babyface role.

The only problem with it the first was that they tried to make him superman, a la Steve Austin. He'd defend the title successfully in 3 and 4 four way matches, and beat back all kinds of interference, in the name of overcoming the odds. During the Raven match, half the ECW locker room showed up and kicked his ass six ways from Sunday, and somehow, he was able to get out of handcuffs and hit the Stroke. Jarrett can't be that kind of character. To be effective, he'd have to be almost like a latter-day Flair, playing up his years of experience and winning matches b/c he's a cagey veteran. It'd be an interesting experiment though....

To be effective he would need a new finisher, the Stroke is one weak looking move.

yeah it has got to be the shittiest finisher in pro wrestling period.

The Disco thing took place when they were trying to repackage him as the more serious Glen "The Gift" Gilberti, and he won a Gauntlet that saw Sabu eliminate himself on a dive, but because he did it "by his own will", it didn't count as an elimination.

Having not watched the tapes in quite some time, my memory is hazy on the fact, but I believe this was the period where Raven was working out a new deal (which was the reason given for him not winning the "Destiny" arc).

Also ironic in TNA's current state is that Sting's first appearance was as a favor to the babyface Jarrett to take on Russo's team of AJ Styles and Sean Waltman.

Im not so sure that JJ could get over as a face, not after being a hated heel for so long. He's not HHH and he never will be.

As for LAX, im glad Homicide is staying put and im glad there getting a push.

The Disco thing took place when they were trying to repackage him as the more serious Glen "The Gift" Gilberti, and he won a Gauntlet that saw Sabu eliminate himself on a dive, but because he did it "by his own will", it didn't count as an elimination.

Having not watched the tapes in quite some time, my memory is hazy on the fact, but I believe this was the period where Raven was working out a new deal (which was the reason given for him not winning the "Destiny" arc).

Also ironic in TNA's current state is that Sting's first appearance was as a favor to the babyface Jarrett to take on Russo's team of AJ Styles and Sean Waltman.

Yeah, Raven kind of held out on his contract. That left TNA to fill a void at the top of the card very quickly and Glen

Gilberti was the guy they chose. Luckily, they realized their mistake and he was out of the main event picture after a month.

It should also be remembered that Raven would not tell TNA if he would re-sign with the company, which was the biggest factor in why he didn't win the World title from Jeff Jarrett. TNA was worried that he wouldn't re-sign and possibly desecrate the title belt in another promotion.

Can't wait to see LAX's push, Homicide is probably the most underrated wrestler on their roster. His ROH matches have proven he's X-Title material, or at least a consistent contender for it. I don't even know the NAME of his tag partner, since it changed three times, so maybe he'll go singles soon enough... :bounce:

Guest BarnacleBill

I miss the "Stone Cold" Jeff Jarrett of late 2002 early 2003,He was a guy the fans could believe in he could be in a world title match and 8 guys with weapons could beat him for 5 straight minutes but he'd lay out each one of them,hit his opponent with the stroke and retain his title.

Looking back on that Raven/JJ match...

I think it's a good thing that Raven didn't win.

At the end of that match it became apparent that Jarrett had to lose the title...and they did take it off of him soon after. After the Disco push was done...they put the title on Styles.

To me...that was much better than Raven getting it. Raven with the title at that point would have been a fun time, as most people saw Raven as the bad ass ECW star and not the joke that WWE had turned him into. But Styles getting that push solidfied him as the face of TNA, a moniker that he's held since...

Although Joe's pretty much taken it away.

EDIT: oops totally wrong thread, I blame headbuzz and Mozilla's tabs, will place in appropriate thread.

That said, trying to fit in with thread, I think the Nash segments have been the best part of TNA the past few weeks, and don't think he's been burying the X-Division at all (YET).

I dont know if i can say this anymore, but Nash is not burying the X divison, period. The fued ends at Slammiversary putting Sabin over.

That's where I'm hoping (nay, praying) this is going.

I'm betting he beats Sabin, Shelley wins the 6 Way to face Joe. Nash costs Joe the belt against Shelley, which leads to Nash getting beaten easily by Joe to further his rise.