TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

Guest Felonies!
Chicago is the clear winner here.

Chicago is never the winner; clear, foggy, or otherwise.

It's hard to say there's a winner or loser when one side was making a straight salary dump. Chicago was one of the very few teams that could afford Havlat without giving up a big salary in return -- which Ottawa clearly didn't want -- and they don't have anything resembling good young NHL-ready talent.

At least he didn't go to a team in the East.

Havlat is not worth 6$ million a year. The guy played 17 games last year and hasn't won shit. 6 mil is franchise player money...the kind that people like Brodeur get. Havlat is no Brodeur.

This is a retarded waste of money by the Blackhawks, now they can have an overrated overpaid forward to go with their overrated overpaid goalie.

Edit: Sorry for mixing up the Bruins and Blackhawks. That's a pretty big insult to the Bruins.

Havlat is not worth 6$ million a year. The guy played 17 games last year and hasn't won shit. 6 mil is franchise player money...the kind that people like Brodeur get. Havlat is no Brodeur.

This is a retarded waste of money by the Bruins, now they can have an overrated overpaid forward to go with their overrated overpaid goalie.

You mean the Blackhawks right?? :D

Anyhow, yeah it's overpayment on Havlat, but Chicago has the room, and they needed anything resembling a goal scorer.

Ice Chips for Monday, July 10- (tsn.ca)

The Brendan Shanahan signing means Petr Sykora won't be back witht he Rangers, but Martin Rucinsky is expected to be re-signed to a one-year deal. - NY Post, NY Daily News

The Blueshirts are considering bringing back former New York Rangers blueliner Brian Leetch. - Toronto Sun

The Red Wings have cap room to bring in a possible replacement for Brendan Shanahan, with $13 million to spend. Wings GM Ken Holland also says he'll make a decision soon regarding his goaltending, where it's believed he may make a contract offer to Ed Belfour. Holland also suggested Dominik Hasek is in the mix. - Detroit News

Predators GM David Poile is likely finished making forays into the UFA market, but with his depth at forward could explore a trade. - The Tennessean

Also from tsn-

The Vancouver Sun reports that the Canucks will announce early this week they have signed free agent centre Marc Chouinard to a two-year, $2 million US contract.

Chouinard, 29, played the past two seasons with the Minnesota Wild.

In 74 games last season, he scored 14 goals and 30 points and finished seventh in team scoring.

In five NHL seasons with the Wild and Anaheim Ducks, Chouinard has 35 goals and 74 points in 278 games.

Rangers defenceman Sandis Ozolinsh underwent successful knee surgery in Colorado. GM Glen Sather expects Ozolinsh to be on the ice for training camp in September.- NY Post

No Belfour or Hasek. Please. Sink or swim with Howard if they are to that point. Course, maybe I'm just tired of rent-a-goalie with Detroit.

Nothing is really wrong with Legace. He kinda psyched himself out in some peoples' view (saying before the playoffs even started that if he didn't do well he would be gone). They have Jimmy Howard waiting to go and Osgood signed. I wouldn't be against Legace coming back.

The Senators blindfolded Chiarelli and left him in the middle of nowhere today as apparently his ransom has been paid. The Bruins officially have a GM now. Hurrah.

Ottawa needed a player like Preissing more than they needed a player like Havlat. But, seeing as they did this deal, they didn't need to sign Corvo at all. That's just the way things work.

Habs resigned Komisarek to a one year deal.

If Montreal keeps signing these one year deals, they better do something soon.

I must be getting old. Simon's about the twelfth player who's been signed this off-season for whom I've seen his name and said, "Wow, he's still in the league?"

which proves you clearly don't follow hockey. simon has been a prominant player with calgary for the past 2 seasons. well, he was traded at the deadline in 04.

I must be getting old. Simon's about the twelfth player who's been signed this off-season for whom I've seen his name and said, "Wow, he's still in the league?"

which proves you clearly don't follow hockey. simon has been a prominant player with calgary for the past 2 seasons. well, he was traded at the deadline in 04.

All that proves is that I didn't follow Calgary last year. What a sin.

Ice Chips for Tuesday, July 11 (tsn.ca)

Nicklas Backstrom, the Capitals' top draft pick last month, informed the club Monday he won't be coming to Washington next season but will instead continue playing in his native Sweden for another year. - The Washington Post

Battaglia, a prominent part of the Hurricanes team that defeated the Leafs in the 2002 Eastern Conference final, played for the Toronto Marlies last season on an American Hockey League contract and could not be called up to the big team. But the Maple Leafs last week signed Battaglia to a two-way NHL deal. The 30-year-old Battaglia, who has played 458 career NHL games, will likely be used as an injury fill-in for the Leafs, but he will be given a chance to win a job in training camp. - The Toronto Star

Brian Leetch's next Garden game could come as Blueshirt. Barring a medical miracle, Sandis Ozolinsh not only won't be ready for training camp, he'll miss a chunk of the 2006-07 season, potentially leaving room for the Rangers to make Leetch their power play quarterback. - NY Daily News

The Hawks would like to sign Kyle Calder to a long-term contract, but it's believed he wants a one-year deal in order to test the free-agent market next summer. - Arlington Heights Daily Herald

The agent for goaltender Ed Belfour sounded optimistic that a deal could be announced as soon as today. "We are moving towards our mutual goal of making Ed Belfour a Red Wing," Ron Salcer, Belfour's agent, said Monday evening. - Detroit Free Press

Michael Rupp signed a one-year contract yesterday to return to the Devils, the team with which he started his NHL career. He's less than four months removed from surgery to correct an abnormality in his heart's electrical system. He suffers from Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. - Newark Star-Ledger

While still unconfirmed, it's likely the Panthers will play the Rangers in an exhibition game Sept. 23 in Puerto Rico. - South Florida Sun-Sentinel

He did alright for us in 04 playoffs, appart from that he was just our tough guy.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Isn't anyone entitled to a little slip-up now and then? In July no, less? Chris knows his shit. Cut him some slack.

Nicklas Backstrom, the Capitals' top draft pick last month, informed the club Monday he won't be coming to Washington next season but will instead continue playing in his native Sweden for another year. - The Washington Post

He's going to be the best player out of this draft class, IMO.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Isn't anyone entitled to a little slip-up now and then? In July no, less? Chris knows his shit. Cut him some slack.

12 players aint no slip up.

He's going to be the best player out of this draft class, IMO.

Phil Kessel may have something to say about that...

I have them at 1 and 2. I really don't like Jonathan Toews and I think Johnson was a tad overrated. Jordan Staal's good too, but I don't know if he was overhyped due to his siblings or not.

Kessel has the potential to be #1 by a long way, it's just hard to tell if he's going to realize that potential.

It's hard to tell, but there's at least an outside shot that he comes to camp and skips college. That gives him a year up on Backstrom if he were to make the team. Still can't believe that the Bruins managed to get Kessel at #5.

Canadian Press

7/11/2006 5:17:02 PM

WHISTLER, B.C. (CP) - There will soon be a new president of the NHL Players' Association.

Trevor Linden announced Tuesday at the NHLPA's summer meeting that he will not seek re-election for the position he has held since June 1998.

The NHLPA's new executive committee is expected to be announced Wednesday.

Linden, a 36-year-old native of Medicine Hat, Alta., is an unrestricted free agent. He played all 82 games for the Vancouver Canucks last season, recording seven goals and nine assists for 16 points in his 17th NHL season.

Since entering the league in 1988, Linden has 356 goals and 474 assists for 830 points in 1,243 career games with the Canucks, New York Islanders, Montreal Canadiens and Washington Capitals.

Linden helped broker the deal last summer that ended the year-long NHL lockout that wiped out the 2004-05 season.

Ignore him. Life's better that way. I should have.

I didn't know encyclopaedic knowledge of every single player in the league was required to be able to post in this thread. And apparently a complete lack of exaggeration.

Darryl Sutter stepped down as coach of the Flames. It was rumored a few months ago, but it's still surprising.

To follow up on the last post:

CALGARY (CP) -- Darryl Sutter is stepping down as head coach of the Calgary Flames and will be replaced by assistant Jim Playfair, a source told The Canadian Press on Tuesday.

The Flames have called a Wednesday morning news conference where they're expected to make the announcement.

Sutter, who became coach of the Flames in 2002 and added the general manager's title in 2003, will retain the GM's role. No reason was given for his decision to step down as head coach.

Sutter, 47, led the Flames to a Stanley Cup berth in 2004, where they fell in seven games to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Calgary posted a 46-25-11 record this year -- good for third in the Western Conference -- but lost to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in seven games in the first round of the playoffs.

Sutter compiled a 107-73-26 record in two-plus seasons behind the Calgary bench, joining the Flames after head coaching stints in Chicago and San Jose.

Playfair, 42, has spent the past three seasons as a Flames assistant after two-plus seasons as head coach of the Flames' AHL affiliate in Saint John. N.B. Playfair led the AHL's Flames to the Calder Cup title in 2001.

Wayne Fleming was named as Playfair's replacement. Fleming formerly served stints as assistant coach with the New York Islanders, Phoenix Coyotes and Philadelphia Flyers.